“An informal place to unwind and relax”

Neemrana's - Baradari Palace
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Patiala
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I planned a trip to 'Neemrana' Baradari palace (BP) end September with family. Booking through their centralized reservation system in Delhi was a breeze.

I reached at around 6 PM and from outside the property looked like an old lived in house. Though I would prefer that they repair the road at the entrance gates which is broken (so unlike a hotel).

Do note that each room at the BP has different dimensions and furniture. We checked a couple of rooms other than the one reserved and then settled for a new room to suit our requirements.

Except the time taken to finalize the room, the reception area check in was fast with attendants helping in unloading and taking the luggage to the room. Here I must compliment Neemrana staff for being accommodating in changing the rooms. Adds to the air of homeliness.

On entering the room-- it was 1000 sq ft in size with two queen sized beds, two sofa chairs, dresser and writing table and a bathroom of nearly 170 sq ft !. If this was not enough the room ceiling was nearly 25 ft high !!

The feeling of space is thus the first relaxing element on entering the room. The clean, simple yet elegantly done up room reminds you of an era gone by and yet provides the creature comforts of modern life like air conditioning and modern fittings in the bathroom.

Having unpacked, we went down for dinner in the restaurant. Judging by the restaurant visitors, I guess this would be one of the better restaurants in town. The quantity of the helpings is large enough to serve three-four people.

What I would have liked better was the flavour. Punjab is known for its food and after eating 7 meals at the restaurant I can say it is whole some and good but not something you will remember later on.

Travelers may note that in this restaurant you can order non menu items if you wish. Again here I am reminded of 'home-liness' of the place.

Much has been said on room service and TV by co-reviewers. I think Neemrana has taken note as the rooms have TVs and limited room service is available though not for meals.

Since this was a family trip we had to pack in site seeing, shopping and relaxing and on all three counts the hotel location is on tops. Most buildings of tourist significance are in use by various institutions thus you an just view from out-side. The hotel scores here as we can explore it from inside. Shopping area while not close is still close enough (4 km, 20 mins) away by cycle rickshaw. for relaxation you have the hotel premises and the 'Baradari Gardens' in front of the hotel.

BP also has a Neemrana shop and Cafe which did not have many visitors though. What I would have also liked is provision for games such as cards, chess, carrom, chausar which could be played in ones room (the royal way).

The best asset of BP is its staff-- courteous , helpful, attentive and yet non intrusive.

My family enjoyed the stay at BP and should you plan to visit BP-- go ahead and live in a kings home in an era gone by with modern day comfort.

Room Tip: All rooms have different feel and character due to varying dimensions and furniture. Discuss your re...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ManuMaudgal
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - Baradari Palace, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to receive your warm and appreciative review about The Baradari Palace heritage hotel in Patiala.

Your compliments about the booking process have been conveyed to the reservations team in
Delhi.

We have also conveyed your compliments about the service and hospitality to the hotel team.

The Baradari Palace speaks volumes on hospitality and space and your feedback about the rooms is heart-warming for the entire Neemrana family.

We have noted your valuable suggestion about adding the board games and shall be doing the needful at the earliest.

The 27 Neemrana 'non- hotel' Hotels across India are instrumental in and custodians of much of India's restored and revitalised architectural heritage. Seven hundred years of history, await humbly for you to extract all the joys of travelling and living out the essence of India in all its nobility and simplicity.

We thank you for your visit to The Baradari Palace and look forward to welcoming you back soon !

Reviewed August 16, 2012

What I Liked :

1) Location - the Most central Place in Patiala , surrounded by Lush Green gardens ( made more greener due to the recent rainfalls ) .
2) The Room Size and The Bathroom Size.

What I didnt Like :
1) The height of the Beds - The beds had a height of 3 feet and was a pain to get onto them and off them . The Size of the beds was terribly small and Didn't sleep a wink during my stay of 2 days .
2) The rooms and the bathrooms were quite clean but the property itself was in a bad shape and needed sprucing up
3) No Room Service - A palace without room service ???

Have rated it average due purely due to the sleep quality experience , had that been better wud have rated it Very Good

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - Baradari Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review about The Baradari Palace in Patiala.

Your compliments about the greenery have been conveyed to the horticulture team at Patiala that strives hard to maintain the same.

With reference to your feedback, please note that all the rooms and suites of The Baradari Palace have high-ceilings and Maharaja beds which evoke the royal lifestyle of the 19th century. Nevertheless, for the convenience of our guests, we have bed stools that can be provided. Please do ask for these whenever you stay with us next. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused.

As you may be aware, since Neemrana opened its doors to guests, we have been working on a very different hospitality model which revives ruined or unused heritage architectural structures. The Neemrana philosophy is different from hotels where modern- day amenities are given priority over ambience and old-world charm. At Neemrana, we try and strike a balance between the two so that the past is not completely obliterated. Nevertheless, we have noted your observations and shall be taking the necessary action required.

With respect to your feedback about the absence of room service, please note that The Baradari Palace is different from modern corridor hotels with service elevators and trolleys. Apart from morning and evening tea, Neemrana does not provide room service. This is a part of our USP and implemented across all Neemrana properties. However, mineral water and in-room tea and coffee makers are provided for the convenience of our guests.

We encourage our guests from across the world to enjoy the ambience of the property and the indoor and outdoor dining venues. This also encourages guests to interact with each other, thereby facilitating conversation which leads to an exchange of culture.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you at our 27 properties across India !

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Good experience - right from the time of check-in to check-out. The very courteous staff offered me three apartment-sized rooms to choose from - at check-in. The mega rooms are tastefully furnished. I preferred the room on the upper level - not only for the stunning views of the property, and the spacious verandas around it - also because the rooms on the ground floor are too close to the kitchen and the dining area. The worn carpets on the ground floor have, over the years, soaked in the smell of spices, oils etc. If not for this reason, I would give it 5 stars. The upper floors are heavenly. Bathrooms are clean. Don't expect wall-mounted plasma TVs in the rooms - instead there are regular TV sets. The restaurant offers good Punjabi fare at very reasonable prices. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are quieter, offer great views, and are away from the kitchen and dining a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Roopa_Bakshi
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - Baradari Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about The Baradari Palace heritage hotel in Patiala.

We are delighted to read your experience at the property, including the appreciation about the decor and the food. Your compliments have been conveyed to the hotel team.

It is guests like you that continue to reinforce our belief in our philosophy of putting new life into an unused and ruined building.

We are surprised to read your feedback about the carpets, as the public areas on the ground floor of The Baradari Palace do not have any carpets. There are however, a few durries in the guest rooms. We would be grateful if you could clarify the same point at the email address mentioned below so that we can take the necessary corrective action.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed at the Baradari Palace for 3 days during June 2012. This is the only hotel that you should stay in if you are visiting Patiala!

The property is situated in the midst of the famed Baradari Garden complex, set in verdant surroundings. This heritage building dates back to 1876 and was once the residence of the royal family of Patiala - after whom the names of the rooms and suites have been kept. The property has been lovingly restored and its authenticity has been fantastically preserved. The rooms on the second floor afford a great view of the gardens and offer absolute peace and tranquility.

Do keep in mind that the rooms are absolutely king-size so travelling with a large entourage will never be a problem. Also, most rooms retain the old-world charm with royal paintings, antique furniture and minimalist furnishings. However, the rooms remain immensely comfortable for the modern traveller.

The staff is pleasant and non-intrusive, making you feel at home in the large building complex. Nights are soothingly silent and mornings welcome you with the chirping of all kinds of birds. The morning breakfast spread is a bit sparse, though the Punjabi dishes are made very well during lunch and dinner.

You should also explore the Neemrana Shop for some quaint, ethnic items to carry back home.

This was my first stay at a Neemrana Property and I am sure I am going to be a very frequent visitor to this and other marvellous properties they have restored.

Room Tip: Take the Maharaja Bhupendra Singh or Yadavendra Singh rooms on the Second Floor. They offer good vie...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank VK_Traveler
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - Baradari Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

This is what we strive to achieve and it is always heartening if someone at the receiving end can sense the effort and the love.

We hope that as you discover more of real India with Neemrana, you’ll find more to tell us about. We thank you for your continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you at our 26 properties across India !

Reviewed December 31, 2011

my husband and i stayed in this historical palace only for one night, but it was a great experience to stay in a place where royals used to live. The palace is so grant and well kept that it does not seem centuries ago that royals ruled and enjoyed this place. when you walk through this place you fell like you are not in modern times, you start to imagine how the people lived lavishly in this grant place. If someone wants to find an extraordinary place to get married this is for sure the place.the palace garden with its tea house is a perfect place to spend the afternoon chatting a way with a loved one , the huge old trees provide shade from the afternoon sun.The in-house restaurant serves excellent north indian cuisine , their signature dishes are fish or chicken tikka, spinach and tandoori flat bread. The staff is well mannered & well versed,We stayed at room no 8 Rani Fateh Kaur which is equipped with with a splendid bath room , the terrace just outside the room makes it a perfect place to sit in the evening to enjoy a drink. Simply a place where old splendour mixes harmoniously with modern hospitality,

Room Tip: room no 8 was perfect corner room with lots of privacy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank martinasedu
Reviewed November 1, 2011

If you are in Patiala then it is must for you to experience outing or staying in the hotel. Some of the Bollywood personalities have stayed here for an extended period of time. I know for a fact Salman Khan and Dharmendra family have stayed here. If you are not bothered about bollywood and who has stayed here then I must tell u that the food and the service is really nice. For weekends you should book in advance. One of things that this hotel has is the royal setting of this place and the feel you get when you are sipping on your favorite drink or enjoying your meal. I have been here many times and trust me when i am saying this If I have someone special with me then this is the place to be. Just amazing. Loved their food, acutally I have tried quite a few things on their menu and I have never been disappointed and can asure you that if you have good taste for food and enjoying good surroundings then you wont get disappointed. ACTUALLY U must note even though I have visiting this hotel many times for lunches,dinners I have not stayed at the hotel but for sure know that their rooms are nice (seen them) so when I choose sleep quality I had to choose something so I choose above average n havent seen any swimming pool in this hotel-

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank shiv1Melbourne
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I visited Baradari Palace last year to attend my friend's birthday party. Food and service was ok. But I liked its location and ambiance. As I am already from patiala, so I know its history. This is basically a Royal House of Patiala King, later on given to a private hotel group and They converted it to a Hotel. But it is nice to go there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mahijeet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patiala
Hotel Eqbal Inn
#2 of 31 in Patiala
Hotel Jiwan Plaza
Hotel Jiwan Plaza
#5 of 16 in Patiala

Been to Neemrana's - Baradari Palace? Share your experiences!