“Just don't expect a 5 star hotel!”
Review of naked Stables

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Deqing County
naked Stables
Ranked #2 of 169 Hotels in Deqing County
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have just spent three nights in an earth hut here in Naked Stables. Stylish, in a beautiful setting but a disappointing experience overall for us, as a couple looking for some down time from the city. It's much more of a family leisure resort, with more similarities to Club Med or Centre Parcs than to a luxury hotel. Hugely spread out with steep paths and difficult access, the main evening restaurant was more of a canteen than a five star dining experience. Our attractive hut was poorly lit in the evening and the eco credential of monitored power use was not in service.

By the way, don't believe the paperwork you receive before arrival suggesting you must settle your bill with cash, as credit cards were accepted without a question. We had brought a great deal of cash with us only to have no safety deposit box in our earth hut in which to leave it, thus having to carry it around with us at all times.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank greenbeeinshanghai

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Property is beautiful, surrounded by green hills. Earth huts are really ok, we had a beautiful view.
Good food, nice staff.
We had great fun riding bike-tours along small villages, fields with tea, bamboo and rice.
Relatively expensive but great place to stay, if you affort it.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Cecile2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My Fiancé and I stayed at the Naked Stables for three nights in an Earth Hut. The Hut itself was very nice; it was a good size with a cool standalone bathtub and a very comfortable bed - however there was no safety deposit box in the room so we had to carry our valuables around in a backpack for the three days. The setting is beautiful but the feeling is hindered by the detail (in need of some attention). Also there was some construction going on about 100 yards from our room which woke us up at 7:30am – not ideal for a relaxing retreat.

The best feature of this resort is the food - we ate at the main restaurant every night and were very satisfied with the quality of the food and wine. It wasn't cheap, between 150-200 RMB a main but the quality was high, so good value in the round. The breakfast buffet was also good, however on our last morning there was no buffet, instead we were told to order one dish from the a la carte menu, whereas the previous two days we could have had whatever we liked.

Where the resort needs to improve is with the customer service. For example, one day I tried to book a spa treatment for the following day only to be told that I could not have any of my preferred time slots; instead I was offered a slot early morning or late at night (which I could not make due to pre-booked activities/evening meal). This wasn’t because it was fully booked, in fact the booking sheet was pretty clear, but was because the therapist did not want to commit to timing that was inconvenient for her. The hotel seriously needs to employ more therapists so that guests can have treatments during the opening hours of the spa rather than when it just suits the therapist. A similar situation occurred when I booked a horse riding lesson - I booked a slot then was called a few hours later by staff who told me my 10am appointment needed to be moved to 9am as the weather would be too hot for the horses. I thought this was odd as I’d seen the horses out at peak afternoon the previous day but agreed anyway. After my lesson the horse I was riding was then ridden immediately afterwards by another guest (during the slot I had originally booked) – I didn’t appreciate the white lie of the hotel staff – had they been honest and said that another guest wanted that time slot I would have been ok with it. The dishonesty was just annoying. Overall the staff were pleasant enough but generally unhelpful .

In summary the hotel has stylish decor - which is in need of some maintenance here or there - has excellent food but poor customer service. Overall it’s rough around the edges and while we wouldn’t recommend it to friends/family for the price, we enjoyed our stay there but would not return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JK1Uk
Reviewed September 13, 2012

we stayed at a villa on the top of the hill. the views were amazing. quite a change compared with shanghai. but the hotel at a mixed service. at a point willing to charge us for an additional diner at a restaurant while we at eaten at the other one. the horse riding seems interesting while we did not try it. interesting place but is it worth it s price?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank 188oliver
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our stay at naked stables was great. The setting is very pleasant and there's a lot to do. That said, if I were to go back to Moganshan I'd probably stay elsewhere - in particular, I'd probably stay somewhere that was actually on Moganshan, or on the hill/mountain most traditionally associated with Moganshan.

Naked Stables is a 2 hour walk or 20 minute drive to Moganshan and was noticeably warmer because it's in a valley of sorts and not on top of a (small) mountain the way other places, eg their other property, naked home village, or moganshan23, etc are. We walked to naked home village and it seemed nice - much more low-key than naked stables (We just wandered in and Sandy, a woman who works there, helped us for a while by showing in detail where we could go hiking on Moganshan. She was much more helpful than people at naked stables and there was much more hiking to be done around there - not much around naked stables).

The huts were ok but not great. Very dark at night, floors not cleaned even though the (cleaning!) staff walk around inside with muddy shoes. Food also ok but not great.

So, should you stay here? I did a few 'activities' which made the stay worthwhile: horseback riding lessons and tea picking (yes, I paid to pick tea- a little silly but an interesting experience). If you want to do those or other activities, I'd recommend the place. If not, stay elsewhere on Moganshan.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a supposed hill-top view that was actually surrounded by trees and had not a bit o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chaddish
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our whole family is in love with this resort. We've been there twice since it opened earlier this year. The first time we went over a weekend with another family (who has since gone back on their own). The most recent visit our family (4 of us, including 2 young boys) went up on our own during the middle of the week. On both visits, with all the villas spread out across the mountainside, we usually felt that we had the place to ourselves. Only at breakfast did we realize that many others were staying there as well.

For us, the biggest challenge was deciding what to do each day. Though I wanted to spend a lot of time just relaxing and enjoying the view from the villa (specifically from the hot tub on the balcony), the other activities kept pulling us out. My wife and older son took horseback riding lessons. We all went swimming each day (pizza at the pool was the best). The boys wanted to spend the rest of the time in the kids' club, so my wife and I were left on our own! We took short hikes through the bamboo forest, read and generally enjoyed some peace and quiet.

Reading some of the other reviews, perhaps we had a different set of expectations going in. Some seem to complain about the 2.5-3 hours drive from Shanghai. That's the reality of the location. Shanghai is FLAT -- to get to any lush, bamboo covered hills (not to mention fresh air), one must drive a bit (we followed the directions and had no problem finding the place). Upon arrival it did take a few minutes for them to get to us for check in (as many guest seem to arrive around the same time -- especially if coming in on the shuttle arranged by the resort). Not as efficient as a Hyatt, but for us that was part of the experience -- the kids started running around on the grass field outside (burning off pent up energy after the drive) and we started to really unwind, enjoying the beauty of the building design and the setting with tea they provided (and some scotch I had brought).

I've lived in Shanghai for 10 years and have yet to find a more peaceful, stunningly beautiful and properly managed getaway within a reasonable drive from Shanghai. We are already planning our autumn visit to Naked Stables and it is a destination I strongly recommend to friends visiting China looking for a retreat from their hectic city travels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JRinChina
Reviewed August 27, 2012

At the outset, let me mention that I visited this place for a company meeting. Food was good, service was fantastic and rooms very well designed. I had never visited a resort which had bathtub over looking the valley. Only problem is that you could be seen from the adjoining cottage if you decided to jump in naked without closing the curtain. The rooms had a living room, TV resting area, kitchenette. Jacuzzi on the terrace again overlooking the valley. Amazing. While I have read complaints of the carts taking time to pick up, they were pretty effecient as far as my experience is concerned.

:Loved the place and would definitely come again with family, if I could.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deqing County
Moganshan, Le Passage Mohkan Shan
Moganshan, Le Passage Mohkan Sha...
#3 of 169 in Deqing County
Moganshan Solvang Village boutique hotel
OM Yoga Resort
OM Yoga Resort
#16 of 278 in Deqing County

Been to naked Stables? Share your experiences!