Club Med Yabuli
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Sanshan Hotel(Shangzhi)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsski instructorspecial thanksski arearestaurant managercircus teamflying trapezebuffet restaurantconnecting roomsfamily with kidslearn howwarm feelingalcoholic drinksdon t expectski rentalon christmas evehigher levelgeneral manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My family and I stayed at Club Med Yabuli in mid February for 8 days. We had 2 adults and 2 kids aged 5 and 6. Like other reviewers, I can report that the Club Med staff were exceptional in almost every way. They are all generally multi-talented and uber friendly and there was no feeling of 'forced friendliness' which must be hard to sustain. Our children absolutely loved the kids club and were generally eager to go every day.
Likewise, the resort itself was very good. Our room was very comfortable and big. The meals were quite good without being fantastic.
The problem the resort has is that the ski hill is very poor and this reflects very badly on a skiing holiday. Whilst we were there only the Gondola was operating which meant that the runs were limited to 3 black, 1 blue and some beginner runs. (I would add that generally speaking it is an acceptable hill for beginners)
Further, the ski equipment hire service(not operated by Club Med) is expensive and complete rubbish at about $50-55USD/day with no discount for longer term hire or if you have some of your own equipment like boots.
I would also observe that the outdoor hot tub was absolutely disgustingly filthy and a micro-biologists dream.
Notwithstanding the above, we enjoyed our holiday at Yabuli however we will return to the fantastic snow that Japan has to offer.
My sincere thanks to Jeon the CDM for making our trip there memorable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Headlights
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I were at Club Med Yabuli for 6 nights (28th Jan to 3rd Feb) so this review comes a little late. Well, better late than never as the saying goes...

Firstly, it's Club Med! Meaning you get the same good Service/PR and great entertainment. And of course seeing some familiar G.O.s is like meeting old friends again - Yoky (Circus), Kevin (Bar) and even Summer (Reception)! And meeting new friends like Ryan (CDV), with his smooth personality and wonderful hospitality/PR makes for a memorable stay.

Undoubtedly, the resort is beautiful plus it's still quite new having opened only in 2010. The night scenes when it gets all lit up are magical... Our room was fantastic - it was spacious, clean, well-equipped and who can forget the heated bathroom floor? Toilet seat was cold though and can be quite a wake-up call (you all should learn from the Japanese, who had toasty warm ones).

Unfortunately, when we were there it was probably the COLDEST time this season going down to -30 or -32 on two/three days. And it was windy <GASP!> I was kind of mentally prepared for this having read thatit could go as coled as -30 but when it gets this extreme it's another story altogether. After we came back, we discovered that Europe had a cold snap at that time and the week after we left temperatures had been at more decent -20 (at night) to -10 (in daytime). Just our luck eh??? :(

Owing to the freezing temperatures and the fact that it gets really icy in the afternoon, we probably spent an average of only about 4 hours or less on the slopes each day. Now this may be only my third snow holiday but the last two years when I went to Niseko/Japan (1st year) and Borovetz/Bulgaria (2nd year), I had spent about 12 hours a day on the slopes. We could not get enough but of course with the mandatory breaks for lunch and 2-3 coffees a day etc. So, this holiday was a bit of a wash-out for me since it was not a "real" snow holiday, having not clocked enough time on the slopes. I was also distracted by the other activities.

Thank goodness Club Med had my other love - the Flying Trapeze - which never fails to disappoint as always. My heartfelt thanks to all at the Circus team - (Chief) Dane, Chan, Yoky, Lung and Tian Tian. I am so grateful and happy that Dane had let me try the Double. It was AWESOME and the highlight of my trip. What an exhilirating feeling being so high up even just standing on the second riser! That made up for not having great snow. And yes, I learned a few important tips too.

I like the locker system they had for the snow/ski equipment which I had not experienced before. It's a brilliant system and works well. I feel that the rented snow/ski equipment was generally acceptable too and had no complaints about them. However, be conscious about being early or on time. The basement can get very crowded with everyone jostling for space and the groups usually leave on time for lessons. We were late on our first day and had to scramble around. Sorry Bruce, for hasseling you on that day so we could get to our respective groups. But thanks to your attentiveness/concern when I fell and hit my head, it helped to make things better between us and I enjoyed our little chats.

I had chosen Club Med Yabuli because it has snow experience (hence daily lessons if you choose to take them) and of course the first indoor Flying Trapeze. But what bothers me is we had to register each night for the next day's lesson. That is acceptable but we also had to state the language we would like to be taught in. I may be Chinese and speak/read Chinese but I think/sleep/breathe in English. Naturally, I always requested for English-speaking. Learning in another language is different. But sadly, I don't believe Club Med was listening or paying attention. Maybe filling up the form was done as a routine. I even get sarcasm (you know who you are) which is uncalled for as I am a guest after all. On my second day of lesson, I had a Chinese-speaking snowboard instructor (River). Don't get me wrong, he is a good instructor but I had trouble adapting to Chinese instructions and executing my moves. I missed a couple of times so had a few falls then, and landed hard on my mid-back once. I was winded... but as it seemed to feel alright after a while I was not brought to the Infirmary. I am actually feeling the effects now and am seeking treatment. To think that Club Med got all nervous when I fell and hit my head two days later when according to the official word, I slipped on ice and fell. This is not the serious fall, although my doctor did say I may feel the effects from the head fall 2 months later... (Are you listening to this, Club Med?). Although I did not appreciate being treated like a "disease" after the fall and having people avoid me. Maybe some of the G.O.s were trying to avoid the issue but seriously, the opposite should be done instead??

I was later informed by the "boss" Ski Director Jeon that they only had two English-speaking snowboard instructors and both had their day off on the same day which was baffling. My question is why were they both given the same day off? There are 7 days in a week so having their day offs even a day apart would work. Isn't that logical and sheer common sense when you have such limited instructors? Unless they're a couple and needs to have day offs together. Which I should hope not since they are both male!!! It was just a scheduling/planning glitch which was not admitted to.

So, more people to acknowledge and thank as follows:

1) Snowboard - Victor Kim (my lovely and attentive snowboard instructor - hope you are well!), Doug (thanks for your patience) and River (sorry I couldn't do better).
2) Boutique - Angelina (thanks for your kindness and detailed tour information).
3) Spa - Cherry (always smiling and so calmly polite).
4) Yoga - Sharon (although I did not attend your class, my room mate did and said it was good. Keep smiling always and thanks for the friendship and for looking out for us when we were there).
5) Reception - Chuck (from the time we checked in till when we had to leave hurriedly to rush to Harbin, you were there to help us with our endless queries and requests. You're a star!)
6) Bar - Kevin (I know I mentioned your name at the start but thanks for always accommodating my drinks requests. Hope to bump into you again soon, my fav bartender!)
7) Restaurant - Chef Bouchon (You're the best!!!!)

Finally, Club Med really needs to look at improving some of the facilities like some of the chilly hallways, the very icy cold Star Disco (no one wants to stay there after any show!), perhaps expand the seating capacity of Apple restaurant (not acceptable that when the resort is so full, the G.O.s have to eat in a separate Conference Room away from the G.M.s - where's the logic when mealtimes are the best occasions to socialise?). How about warm toilet seats???!??

So to all, till we meet again sometime somewhere please take good care of yourselves :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Airborne07
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My friends and I have just got back from Club Med Yabuli for a ski holiday (from 20 - 25 Feb). We had a 40% off promotion package and therefore it was really great value for money. The ski lessons were very good, thanks to the guest instructors from ESF (I had Yann and Greg who were both wonderful and well experienced instructors) and the other Club Med instructors such as Jordy and Billy were great as well. We were very lucky to have the warmest week of the season so the temperature was never below -10C. We had sunshine and snow and therefore perfect condition for skiing. We heard that the weather was very bitter during Dec and Jan. The runs were few, with only A1, A2, A5 and B5 in operation. There is only one gondola. The chairlift has been out of work for the whole season. There is a shuttle bus linking B5 to the A area, with service running every half hour. If not for the ski lessons, I think one would get bored pretty soon on these limited runs.

The hotel itself is very spacious and comfortable. There are lots of activities to occupy ourselves after skiing. The trapeze is particularly fun. We also enjoyed the evening shows very much. Food is great in Apple Garden with a lot of choices, but the Italian and Chinese restaurants are so so only. The staff is great and very helpful. Joen, the South Korean deputy director is very cheerful, energetic and attend to every detail of daily operation. You can see him everywhere at anytime inside the hotel as well as on the ski slopes. He is a great guy.

I think the only thing to complain is the ski rental which is sub-standard, but that is not under the operation of Club Med.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank flatw0rm
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We just got back from a 6 night, 5 day skiing escapade from 11 Dec til 17 Dec11. The travel from Singapore is a really long journey (it took us 1.5 days to get to yabuli, incl an overnight in the airport hotel).

Once we got onto the slopes, everything was great! The snow quality was decent, with a mixture of natural and artificial snow from good quality Canadian snow guns (according to Robel!) The number of runs were quite limited, but the varying difficulties were enough for most intermediate skiers. I managed to ski 4.5 days out of 5, with an afternoon wasted because the gondolas were closed due to strong winds. It does get quite chilly in Yabuli, good gloves are mandatory.

The best thing that happened compared to last year was the engagement of ski instructors from ESF (Greg, Yann and Jeremie) and from Club Med Sahoro (Robel, Billy, etc). I think the feedback from 2010 of not having enough English-speaking instructors must have resulted in this change. And what a change! The ESF guys are real professional instructors, who were able to improve our skiiing technique. I benefited greatly from skiing with Yann, Jeremie and Robel. Great job guys! Definitely worthwhile signing up for all the ski lessons! :)

As for the hospitality, Club Med always delivers! Similar to Sahoro, the GOs were excellent and passionate about their work. It is not easy to keep smiling and provide great service 16h a day with only 1 off-day a week. Kudos to Ryan and his gang for making us feel at home.

The rooms were 2 notches better than Sahoro, and with a heated bathroom flooring! :) The food is not as scrumptious compared to Sahoro, but you cannot really blame Yabuli for serving sashimi/sushi that is not of the same quality as Sahoro.

Entertainment is very enjoyable, as expected. Topan, Agung and his gang dish out great performances night-in night-out. I think the funny shows involving the participants are the best! And Dane does a very professional job running the trapeze.

All in all, Club Med Yabuli is a great holiday destination for skiing. With young children, you'll never go wrong with Club Med - Yabuli or Sahoro!

Room Tip: You can get a discount if you choose a connecting room with a disabled toilet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Waynelai
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We had a wonderful 4 days here. Initially, the weather forecast of -20 C gave us a lot of apprehension coming. But how the staff treated us, sorted us out and generally ran things professionally really made a big difference for us to rate this the best China vacation so far. We live in Beijing and can say this is a HUGE positive difference from the skis around Beijing and the nearer Wanglong/Chongli.

Location was given 4-star cos it does take a bit of effort to get there. We took an overnight train from Beijing which, although long, was a comfy soft-sleeper and convenient as it arrives at the nearby town of Shangzhi. From Shangzhi it is a CNY60 30-min ride to the hotel. Most will fly to Harbin and then take the 3-hour train/bus/car to Yabuli South, which is a 10 min ride to the hotel.

Some of the things the Club Med staff in Yabuli did to turn a potentially bad experience around:

(If you're booking from overseas, this souldn't be a problem).
The local Beijing Club Med didn't pick up the phone when we tried to book (they should investigate and fire the Club Med Beijing staff). We then tried the 2nd number listed which was the local CITS agent's number. They took our order, and then screwed it up. As the day approached, they couldn't find the booking. We suspect they then tried a last-minute slot in for us. We have 2 small kids, and they didn't arrange for the connected rooms, nor informed us properly. When we arrived, the local staff tried pushing the blame to the agent. Finally, it took the Korean GO, Chuck, to sort things out.

The next day, we tried the ski. Our equipment were arranged previous night, and readied in the locker. Luxurious service! My wife is the better skier and went to the higher levels with two French instructors, while I went to Club 2 for those who could do basic parallel turns. We both agreed we learned so much in the 3 skiing days than our 4 years of skiing. The instructors were very responsible and professional. So big thanks to my instructors Jordy (AUS) and Craig (UK... ok... Scotland),

The buffet at the Apple Garden had a good mix of good quality Western and Asian fare. Being French owned, the wine selection was decent. My favourite was the good selection of cheese and saucisson. The Italian restaurant, Bianco was so so, being new. Their inexperience showed in the bad timing during the full-house booking on Sunday. Not being a fan of hotpots, we skipped Mudan, the Chinese restaurant. We really liked it that the GO's come around to dine with us and chat as part of their jobs.

Our favourite hang-out is the Forest Bar with its free flow of both alcoholic and soft beverages. And Brett, the bartender - who was friendly and very efficient.

If your only reason to come, it is the included ski instructors who are flown in from the world over. Club Med started doing this in 2012 because they had a lot of complaints previously. Not sure how true they are, but one went that the local instructors took the students up, and demanded tips before helping them down due to the 'no tips' policy of Club Med. Having gone with the some of the Beijing area lessons, we can believe this.

Unprofessional instructors could intentionally keep you from progressing and prolong the course since it brings in more money. I graduated to Club 3 by the next day, and they even threw in some challenges to bring our confidence up -- like basic ski jumping. And they kicked the less progressive (but ambitious) skiers back down levels. Since the ski lessons are included, there's really no incentives to keep you longer than needed!

The conflict of interest back story is that the property is owned by another company with Club Med managing. Probably as part of the deal, MCR is also allowed to run their own ski rental for outsiders.

We feel for Club Med as they are trying to run the place professionally, but the holding company (or some of the local staff) seems to have other ideas. We were offered an off-the-record ski rental for CNY100 less, being promised the same equipment. We didn't take the offer simply because we felt we owe it to the professional instructors (and Club Med) to keep things clean. The corruption in (some of) the ski rental staff is just sad.

And for you reading this -- please don't encourage the local staff corruption if offered. We feel the majority are doing a great job, and if some local staff feel they can be with an international company to make quick-bucks, then they should rightly be working elsewhere, like the other local ski resorts who probably are not treating them so well.

I guess MCR, the holding company won't read this since this is in English - but I hope MCR can get your priorities right and think long term. From what we felt, the Club Med staff are trying hard to make this business a success.

They cost more, but they are the reason why we are giving this 5-star. So MCR, move away from that typically political attitude like insisting on local staff to install the B5 lift only to have it installed wrongly and now now disputing the French company to fix it, when they already said they wanted their more (presumably) expensive French engineers in the 1st place. It is my hearsay, but it is believable since this is the situation I deal with daily at work!

The Club Med staff really are doing a great job so I wish them a successful business. There are some weak links in the chain (from the agent, to corrupt rental staff, to holding company over-shrewdness) which may one day cause ratings to go down, but I hope that day won't come as we are recommending them highly! Compliments to Chief de Village Ryan for making the 2011/12 season a great one.

The great staff comments go out to both the local and foreign Mini-Kids staff who made the kids felt so good that they were very sad leaving (thanks Melissa!), to Brett who put up with our daughter's boisterous monkey antics, to the awesome entertainment team (who double up as instructors), to the big friendly 'American Grizzly' Ryan, to the friendly wait-staff at the Apple Garden who took the trouble to remember us and our preferences, and the many other smiling staff who we felt were trained well in the culture of hospitality - like the porter who instead of telling our kids to get off the baggage cart, actually told them to get on and he wheels them along!

It was a great warm feeling in the freezing weather. BTW, after the 1st day of -15 C ski, the next 2 days warmed up and we had a comfy -3 C ski on the last day.

We are sold now at least on this Club Med, and my wife is checking out other Club Meds after this experience!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family