“Has to improve”

Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas
Ranked #16 of 20 Bela Bela B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Spent a night here attending a Rotary mini-conference. The service was friendly but very slow - the food was good value but the room was a nightmare!! Our first room had an airconditioner on HEAT cycle and would not cool the room at all. After being offered another room where the airconditioning just about managed to cool, the bathroom failed to deliver any hot water despite the advice on the wall about water supply!! Bela Bela is in a tourist area and this hotel needs a serious maintenance overhaul if it is to compete and attract tourists.

Room Tip: Check the status of rooms and the services before any stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for your review. Our apologies that your room was not up to standard. We are attending to the matters with our current upgrading programme of the hotel rooms.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Good:
The room itself was spacious, that's just about the only good thing about.
The wifi had a strong signal. I liked that.
Breakfast met most of my expectations.

Bad:
Air conditioning unit was not working.
TV had a very poor picture quality.
The cleaning staff need to go for training on making a bed. The funny linen is probably the reason the bed was made so badly.
Bathroom vent not working.
The state of the bathroom really needs to be redone (replace with new).

Overall the place was not worth the money we paid.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are attending to all points raised. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused through this during your stay.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Elephant Springs Hotel for two days in October 2013. The door of the room couldnt be locked and I complained to the hotel in the morning. But they didnt fixed it in the evening, I had no option but to sleep without the door being locked (as I came late in the evening). In the morning, the reception called at 6:00 to check whether there is iron in the room or not. to My friend couldnt also get anyone to open the gate when he came back around 12:00 in the evening. Worst experince I ever had, unprofessional service, I wont recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Yemane G
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback. We have a security guard / night watch patrolling the premises at night, and our gates are locked for the protection of our guests. We will investigate a solution for guests who arrive late at night to make contact with our guard directly from the gate for access to the building. The matter regarding the door not locking has been attended to and we apologize for the delay from our maintenance team.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at the Elephant Springs hotel for two nights. The hotel has recently been renovated, but it cannot by any stretch of the imagination be called luxury or even semi-luxury. The rooms are by no means bad, they just donot feel like a hotel room should. They are sparse, cold, and unimaginatively designed. That said and done, and considering that our first choice was fully let, the Elephant Springs is great value for the money.
On a positive note, the suppers although limited is outstanding. Here the chef, needs to be complimented. The meats, chicken, desserts if they are to your liking are prepared to perfection.
In a pinch and short of cash, this will do nicely

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor and away from the street onto which the entrance of the hotel opens...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed the meals served at our hotel and thank you for your compliments. As per your feedback, we would like to respond to the renovation remark. We are still in the process of renovating our hotel and are blocking out rooms in stages so as not to inconvenience our guests. The newly completed rooms have been classified as Standard Deluxe rooms. Despite the fact that some of our rooms are facing towards the street, we are positive that through the renovation the comforts of our new rooms will satisfy all guests who do not have the view of our pool courtyard. We look forward to showcasing our exciting upgraded rooms as we continue with our renovations.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was on a business trip to Bela Bela and stayed at the Elephant Springs Hotel for five nights. On arrival I was informed that the hotel did not received our bookings due to a system fault on their side. I did managed to get rooms for all concerned. The hotel receptionist gave us the opportunity to choose rooms and after a long search we managed to get acceptable rooms to stay in.

The bathroom was filthy and there where no towels. The wash basin is painted and the paint was peeling off making it extremely unhealthy. Although the linen was clean, the duvet inner and pillows was stained and looked horrible. On my second nights stay a group of children was extremely loud outside my room and I could not sleep after a long hard days work. I complained to the hotel management and it did not improved. I eventually collapsed on my bed as I was exhausted.

The next morning I was once again woken up by yelling kids outside my room and went for breakfast. I was utterly shocked and disgusted to see the condition of the breakfast room. Dirty plates, cups and cutlery was lying all over, even between the food I was suppose to eat. The photos is proof of this.

This hotel will NEVER EVER SEE ME AGAIN. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THE HOTEL INDUSTRY AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rudi N
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. During your stay we were also host to a group from the Department of Education. Unfortunately, these guests disturbed all other guests at our establishment despite our efforts to contain the noise. We have agreed that all future groups will be housed in our separate self-catering accommodation so that hotel guests are not disturbed. The photographs of our restaurant is a result of the group having finished their breakfast, and these were taken during the cleaning up process by the waiters as pictured in your photographs. We understand that this large group inconvenienced other hotel guests and we apologize profusely for this. The General Manager has confirmed that he attended to your every need during your stay and offered your organizers alternate accommodation during your stay in respect of the noisy group. Apologies for the confusion with regard to your booking. We are investigating the technical glitch.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent one night here en route back home from a trip to Botswana. The facade and entrance of this hotel is attractive and the staff was helpful. The rooms are a disappointment though. Bedding was soiled with no duvet, just a bedspread, not enough for winter. The taps in the bathroom were faulty needed replacing. Kettle is placed on a table with no available plug?? had to move kettle to the floor to boil water. Carpets were dirty. I understand that the hotel is being refurbished but there is no excuse for poor housekeeping. Some of my friends did not have coffee or milk or sugar it all depended what room you were in. This needs urgent attention.

Room Tip: check the bedding and sheets first.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused due to issues raised in your feedback. These matters are receiving our urgent attention and is being addressed. We are in the process of refurbishing our establishment and we apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back upon completion of our renovations.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel is located in the centre of Bela-Bela. It is not the best part of this small country town in the midst of safari-land, but is close to the hot springs, restaurants and shops. Elephant Springs is being refurbished and is not in great shape right now, but potentially could be once the work is completed. It is safe and friendly.

There is a pretty pool in the centre of the hotel, surrounded by rooms. My room was outward-facing and was tired and in need of work. The basin had no plug, one bedside light did not work and the refreshment station included only coffee and rooibos tea. No doubt, if I had stayed longer, that would all have been sorted out the next day. I left before 6am breakfast and was provided with a pack to eat on the road by the very helpful kitchen staff. I also did not eat at the buffet restaurant that evening, electing instead to buy an excellent piece of fried fish at the SPAR conveniently close by – for no other reason than I was not particularly hungry.

Overall I think I might stay there again if I am just passing through for the night, but I think there are B&B's in the area that currently offer similar or better value. If I was to holiday in the area, which I usually do annually, I would choose one of the wild life resorts that are plentiful in the area. Without doubt, the standout feature is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
South O, Guest Relations Manager at Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Thank you for informing us of the missing items from your room - it is receiving our urgent attention and is being addressed. We are in the process of refurbishing our establishment and we apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you during your stay. We are conveniently located in the centre of town and trust that, once our refurbishing has been completed, we will be not only best value for money, but also the destination of choice. Guests who have stayed in our new rooms have already complimented us on them, and we look forward to offering all future guests these new rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bela Bela
Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa
Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Modimolle (Nylstroom)
Summerset Place Country House
Bonwa Phala Game Reserve
#14 of 53 in Bela Bela
Gorgeous Gecko Guesthouse
Gorgeous Gecko Guesthouse
#2 of 12 in Modimolle (Nylstroom)

Been to Elephant Springs Hotel & Cabanas? Share your experiences!