“Rooms are great, service could use some work”

Hotel Tortuga Village
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My trip here was to relax, do nothing and have some great food. It was great, I stayed in cabin 2 for one night and I had no complaints besides the one that everyone says the water changes from hot to cold in the middle of your shower. And there is no curtain to the shower so water goes everywhere! The a/c in the room worked great, didn't use the wifi b/c I didn't need it or watched TV b/c I was too busy at the pool enjoying my time. =) The restaurant service could use a little help though. The service is provided by a restaurant that is next door to the hotel which takes the waiters a few moments to get back and forth with your food, bevs, necessities etc. But you are on vacation so who cares!? They will gladly service you wherever you are at the hotel so that is not a problem.. pool, room, right in front by the exit of the hotel where you can get a view of the ocean while you dine. Which that was my favorite! The food is great! Many options to choose from. It was a quite night, no party or loud music anywhere. All in all the place is great but I think it is overpriced $$$. The rooms are beautiful but I don't see what im paying for. The only thing that was included was breakfast and a 10% discount at the restaurant for being guests at the hotel. I loved that checkout was at 2pm so no rush to leave the next day! I will gladly come back but only to stay one night, I dont think its worth it to pay more than that.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2014

What would have been the most pleasant of visits was quickly ripped away by a woman named PATRICIA CORTEZ. This woman, never showing her face at the property, was so rude and did not even try to understand the situation. We arrived at Tortuga Village ready to move into our hut for the next few days. The hotel staff is never anywhere to be found but the restaurant workers are always around and extremely friendly. After waiting about fifteen minutes a woman came out with a huge binder full of hand written names, which is how she located our reservation. I reserved a bungalow for 2 double beds through Travelocity. When we showed up they noticed there were four of us and asked if we were all staying. The girl then spoke to her manager and then came to tell us that she can only give us a room with one bed. I showed her the reservation confirmation where it said clearly "2 double beds" and she confirmed this. After telling her this I told her if it was a problem I did not mind cancelling my reservation and leaving at that moment since our driver was still there and we hadn't arranged for a car until checkout day. She assured us everything was fine and set us up in the room I expected. (Aside from the two gigantic cockroaches we found in the room, everything was perfect).

Everything was fine until she showed up the next morning WHILE we were having breakfast demanding me email my reservation receipt at that moment to "Pati". First of all, she should have waited until after dinner. But I emailed the woman my receipt anyhow and she proceeded to call me saying it was Travelocitys fault for not being more specific etc etc etc. We talked for about 30 minutes, making my family and I an hour late to our little boat tour around the mangroves (which was amazing and pretty cheap).

She ended up making me pay $60 more for the other 2 people PER NIGHT. I didn't understand this and was just really disappointed.

Other things to note-- the water you shower with (aside from being scalding hot or freezing cold--no in between) was salty, which makes brushing your teeth weird.

The surf lesson was amazing. Nicest instructor ever (Marcelo Castellanos) waited around all day until it was safe enough to surf.

All in all, if Patricia was fired I would come back every year with my family of 15. Not to mention, all of the other staff members were extremely nice and pleasant and were only following the directions of that tyrant.

Other great hotels we stayed at on this visit:
Hilton Princess
The Royal Decameron

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank spscjess .
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed for 2 days it was just breath taking the boat ride was amazing!!!! I wish I stayed more days at this place. Very clean it is absolutely beautiful I am planning on going back again. People were just super nice

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Irmagm
Reviewed April 29, 2014

this is paradise the pictures say it all, i love this place butttttt, the top water and the shower was horrible it smells like urine brown and salty, also the food was delicious but should be more options in the menu and affordable as well. that was the only thing that i dint like of tortuga village.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank guadalupe m
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed at this resort for 4 nights and every single day was amazing. The view is spectacular - the pictures do not lie - you literally wake up and the amazing white sand beach is in front of you, a few meters away. I recommend the massage in one of the bungalows on the beach. So soothing to hear the sounds of the waves as you are getting pampered. The service - everything from the gardeners to the servers was amazing. Yes, service isn't as fast as we are accustomed to North America, but you are on holidays, so what is the rush?!? The wifi was great, but again, we were on holidays so why would we want to be connected?!? The people are so friendly and we felt safe at all times. There is a guarded entry and by the end, the staff took the time to get know you. You could preorder all your meals and ask them to be delivered and the specified time. The fresh seafood and ice cold beers never failed. The typical breakfast (desayuno tipico) was nothing short of amazing!!! The fresh fruit and coffee was also a nice touch every morning. The main pool was fun to dip in, but the breathtaking ocean was a step away. I would recommend this hidden gem to anyone who is looking to escape into paradise and live serene and enjoy the beach. Highly recommended, we are definitely going back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank AMaria001
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Air conditioned two story bungalows by the pool with an ocean view, Massages in the palapa on the beach, fresh fruit and coffee delivered to your open air lower level living area, tipica breakfast. We would return to Tortuga Village for a week of relaxation.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RCaramel
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Went here for my brother-in-laws wedding in December and it was very relaxing. Food at the beach restaurant was okay, but everything else was fantastic - service, rooms, pool, beach (could walk that beach for days!). Rooms were a bit pricey but for a specialty/resort stay it was reasonable. Seems to be located in a fairly safe neighbourhood (outside of the city) and is well gated/guarded. We didn't try the spa but numerous services were available.

Room Tip: Seems that most of the rooms are the same and have fairly good privacy.