Beef Island Guest House
$210
$204
No availability for your dates from our partners
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
  • Beachfront
Sea View Hotel(Road Town)
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed here the last night of a wonderful 2 week adventure through the BVI. The taxi driver recommended it because of its proximity to the airport. Upon arrival I was greeted (for lack of a better word) by some of the rudest management I have ever experienced in all my travels. For $176 I received 2 beers and a bedroom in a house shared by a number of other people. There was urine in the toilet, blood on the sheets, and when I woke up the next morning I was covered in bed bug bites. I'm not a stranger to these kind of conditions, but I felt like I was in a hostel and expected to pay "hostel" prices... not $75 more than I paid to stay at the Edgewater in Seattle the following night. Next time I have to catch an early flight out of EIS, I'll sleep on the beach or rent a bunk from one of the sailors in Trellis Bay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank BigPaMcGraw
Porsche78, Manager at Beef Island Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear low point of my vacation,
I would like to invite you to take a look at the changes we've made at the guest house. Our mattresses are new. Looking forward to giving you the stay you enjoyed at the "Edgewater" in Seattle the next time your in Tortola.
Best regards,
Management
The Beef Island Guest House

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We go to Anegada every year, but it's getting more and more difficult finding affordable flights that arrive early enough to catch the ferry to Anegada on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. This year, we decided to do something just a little bit differently, and stay at the Beef Island Guest house after our flight arrived around 8:00pm. One of the nicest things about this establishment is that it is close enough to wallk to from the airport. It isn't exactly easy if you have lots of luggage, but it is definitely possible. We did it. We arrived in time to order dinner at the adjacent restaurant. It was simple, but tasty, and not outrageously expensive. My husband was delighted that the little beach bar next door had the playoff game on, and had a blast watching it with other patrons. The guesthouse itself is pretty tired and needs to be refurbished, but the room was spacious, the bed comfortable, and that's all we needed. Kim, the manager was helpful, but maybe a bit frustrated. I'll bet she'd love to have the funds to update the place, and make it a little bit more charming. The potential is definitely there. Breakfast was included with our room. It wasn't much, but there were some bagels, and a few other things, but I was happy with the bagels. They do have WiFi at the house, which was nice. A lovely setting, right near the water, with lots of moored boats to view made it a very pleasant setting. There was also a phone in the common room which could be used for local calls. Very handy to call a taxi to take us to the Ferry dock. The price of our room seemed a bit high for what it was, but then, it was still considerably less than Maria's by the Sea, the other logical alternative if you are heading out on the ferry the next day. We've stayed there too, but without a doubt, prefer the Beef Island Guest House.
Oh, by the way, I was prepared to have all sorts of bites after staying at the house, as bugs typically love me, but not a one got me.

Room Tip: We had the waterfront room, which would likely be the coolest on a hot night. It was very windy, and quite chilly when we were there, so it really didn't matter too much. There are only four rooms, and just one is waterfront.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank stjohnlover
Reviewed January 28, 2012

As owner/Manager of the Beef Island Guest House I can not help myself but to reply to the last review that appeared below.
For everyone's information, upon hearing this complaint of "bedbugs" that appeared to be directed at their stay at our Guest House the first part of January, we immediately contacted the Health Department for their assessment of the complaint. Just as we thought, they could not find any bedbugs. We've been in business 30 years and have NEVER ever had bedbugs !! Perhaps, if that is what the bites were from. that they might have picked them up from the sailboat or that they were extremely allergic to the No'seums which are everywhere in the islands, even in town. First, I would like to see some proof from a Doctor that it was the bedbug that was biting them and secondly, that they might have gotten them from the sailboat if they were in fact bedbugs. I stand by our Health Department inspection.

We apologize that your trip did not end in a happy manner and hope that you're all feeling better by now. No'seum bites usually disappear in a week to ten days and the bedbug will need treatment.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Mary Ann S
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Beef Island guest house for 1 night on Jan. 3, 2012
after spending 8 days on our sailboat. By the time we left for the airport the next night at 7pm
we were breaking out all over the place. At first we thought it was just a few "no see ums"
even though we spent almost no time on the beach as we went into Road Town for the day.
For the next few days we kept getting more and more. All 3 of us with 100's and 100's of bed bug bites. We contacted them and tried to call, but they have not responded as of yet.
Nice people, but not worth the bed bug bites by a long shot!

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Louise M
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed here for the other night for similar reasons as others- proximity to airport. And its the only gig in the area. I am a charter captain and have stayed in many hotels in the Caribbean and especially in Tortola, mostly in Road Town. I read all the negative reports listed here. Most are telling the truth. Kim was curt, quick to take my 150$, showed me the room and then announced the bar and kitchen were closed. And then she was gone. OK, I will pay for proximity. And i know Trellis Bay well. Its a bohemian area and the no see'ems are ubiquitous. But what really bugs me, all pun intended, are no see'ems in my bed!! i gotta sleep! Within an hour I felt little nips at my skin. They were not bedbugs because I checked. Ive had attacks of no see'ems in bed before at other places in the Carib. I moved to the sofa outside in the main area and managed to sleep till about 5am. I dont care about roosters crowing or the cockroaches. Thats part of the gig of the Carib. I dont care about fancy anything for that matter. But I did pay full price. And thats the rub. You would be better off taking a taxi into Road Town and staying at Marias by the Sea or Fort Burt Hotel for less money and use the difference for taxi fare. What I would suggest, if management cares, is to wash the bed lines after the guests leave, vacuum more frequently, perhaps bug bomb the place every so often and perhaps take a course in smiling and sticking around for a little bit. But if you drink enough at the Last Resort Rest and can manage to pass out, you could make it through the nite and not care. Just sleep with your clothes on so they wont get to ya!! Capt Paul Violand Tango Tango Sailing Charters LLC

Room Tip: i stayed in room # 4.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends