“A lovely restaurant in suburbs”
Review of Taboon

Taboon
Ranked #4 of 124 Restaurants in Robina
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Taboon is a modern cafe basing its cuisine around the traditional stone oven of the Middle East and drawing its recipes from a variety of countries such as Egypt, Lebanon, Israel, Morocco, and Turkey to name a few.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Beautiful service with a smile. Happy to offer explanations on the menu. Excellent value. The apple tea brings me back each time, served in a pot with dried fruit. The venue is a little 'tinny' at night with lots of people. Perfect in the afternoon when the breeze is up.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My first experience at Taboon was for a work X'mas lunch. Athough the place was packed, there was a wonderful atmosphere and a lovely breeze blowing through the place. The service and staff were top notch and our party of five were well looked after. We started with a plate of falafels to share and they were cooked to perfection.

Mains consisted of a double chicken lunch bowl; Grilled Bedouin salad; 2 Grilled rosemary and garlic lamb plates and I chose the Grilled chilli beef plate. Each dish was generous in proportion and no-one had a bad word to say about their meals. My dish was tasty and the meat tender and spicy, the salad refreshing and rice lovely. The crowning flavour came from the lemon and date relish - it was perfect for the beef.

All in all, it was a wonderful lunch and great value for money for the quality of food. For those who wish to drink alcohol, the place is BYO.

In addition to the lunch menu, they also have a breakfast and dinner one. I will definitely be coming back with my husband to try their tagines (dinner menu) and maybe even brekky.

Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We have just discovered this local "gem" and have been twice this week. Food is great service is very attentive without being over bearing. We will be back again next week I'm sure

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have been back to Taboon many times and the food is always so tasteful, fresh and authentic and terrific value for money! The reviewer 'Noora A' must have had his/her taste buds removed or mixed up. The hummus I had did not have too much cumin, and I know the taste as I cook with cumin!! I also couldn't taste thyme with the yogurt. I think this reviewer wasted a lot of "thyme' writing this review! I've been to the Middle East many times, and find the food at Taboon as good as, if not better than I had in various places overseas. . This restaurant has been operating successfully for six years, and that speaks for itself. Don't let one biased review spoil it for others, and by the way I cook and know Middle Eastern food!.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

First of all, I'm from the Middle East, so I'm writing this with a real knowledge of what Middle Eastern is and should be. This restaurant claims to be the best Middle Eastern restaurant and based on the great reviews I read on this website, I decided to pay them a visit and have a taste of their food.

I should say, the place looks nice and clean. The atmosphere was great and this encouraged me to get inside and take the menu. I ordered hummus for starter and their meal for 2 for the main. the service was fast and the staff were friendly.

The starter arrived, very presentation was promising and looked delicious. However, the hummus was too dry and the only thing I could taste in it was the cumin. I know Egyptian hummus has cumin in it, but what I had was full of it that ruined its taste. The pita bread that came with the hummus was under cooked and it should have been baked for a bit more time.

Then came the salad (which was part of the meal for 2 main dish) along with a yogurt dipping (or whatever it is called). This was good, but again it had too much thyme on it. However, combining the salad with the yogurt covered the taste a bit and it was edible.

The last thing to arrive was the main dish and this was the worst part of the experience. It had a skewer of minced kofta, a skewer of chicken cubes, a skewer of minced chicken kofta and two skewers of lamb cubes each with a different marinade all on a bed of vegetable cuscus and what they call "Egyptian rice). To tell you the truth, none of these is Middle Eastern and the taste was terrible. I was shocked that for the price of this dish, i couldn't find anything that it tasted good to be eaten. The chicken cubes tasted honey and was undercooked!! Where did you get this recipe from? One of the lamb cubes was marinated with what tasted like spicy teriyaki sauce and wasn't well done or even medium! there was still blood coming from the cube when cutting it. I have never ever came across such a recipe in any Middle Eastern country, this could be from Japan! And what about the minced chicken kofta, it was all white meat and green. This isn't what a chicken kofta should look and taste like! i tried the Egyptian rice, and this is no way how the rice in Egypt is cooked.

This was totally a bad experience since the restaurant is a Middle Eastern one, but there is nothing Middle Eastern about it other than the photos on the walls! And for the price i paid, I could have went to other Middle Eastern or Turkish restaurants and paid less or the same price for a much much better value for money.

If you have ever had a real Middle Eastern food before, then save your money and time and look for a different place other than this as I guess all the good reviews these people are getting are from people who never experience the real taste of the Middle Eastern food.

7  Thank Noora A