“Comfortable and laid back”

InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hope Island
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Less than one hours drive from inner city Brisbane, or one hour from Brisbane Airport and about 20 minutes drive from Surfers Paradise, the Intercontinental is a nice relaxing place to stay. Yes, the rooms are a little dated but the positives of this resort outweigh this. The staff are very friendly and on check-in, offered me free membership of their loyalty program which provided complimentary wifi in the rooms during my stay (an unusual plus for an Australian hotel). I had a room on the second level in the Phoenix wing which had a great view of the lagoon pool and the huge yachts in the marina. I should note that people staying on the ground level had a greater issue with the mosquitos than I did on the second level. They can be bad in the pool area after dark, so bring some mosquito repellant. The room was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. Local channels and Foxtel selection available on the TV in the rooms. I was concerned when arriving at my room's entry to hear a baby crying quite loudly in the room next door but once in the room, could hear no noise. If you want a nice relaxing stay away from the party-central atmosphere of the Gold Coast, this is a great place to stay. You are in very easy reach of the coast if you have a car. There is ample free parking at the hotel (not undercover). Sanctuary Cove Village which is literally a 2 minute walk away from the resort is small and easy to walk around. It has a couple of decent cafes/restaurants and some nice boutiques for the ladies, so you are not held captive to the resort if you stay at the Intercontinental. Whilst I wouldn't rate the breakfast as being on par with say a Soffitel standard, it is very good and had a high standard of everything you need (bircher muslei, fresh natural yoghurt, plentiful fresh fruit, excellent selection of cooked items and free flat white, latte, short black (etc) coffee on order (although the coffee was a bit weak for my taste). On a final note, on registering for the loyalty program you are asked for your birth date. It just happened to be my birthday during my stay at the hotel and when I came back to the room on my birthday, they had left me a lovely bottle of Shiraz and chocolates, with two wine glasses. I thought that was a really nice gesture from the hotel and really reflected the great service that I experienced here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Belgo96
Monique H, General Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Belgo96,

Thank you for taking the time to post this very comprehensive review following your recent stay with us, I am sure this will be of great benefit for your fellow travellers.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and I am pleased that we were able to add to your birthday celebration!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Monique

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Intercontinental have recently taken over management from the Hyatt and we were pleasantly surprised during our latest stay on Valentines weekend. The service level was faultless, everyone we came in contact with genuinely appeared to love their job. we had a Lagoon King Suite with balcony and we would definitely stay again

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank where2nexttime2013

Dear where2nexttime2013,

Thank you for choosing to spend Valentines Day with us! I am thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable stay.

Thank you for acknowledging my wonderful team, they were very grateful to be recognised.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

it would have to be the best pool and buffet breakfast I have ever encountered. the town near by is super cute and has everything you need. only problem I had was the mozzies at night but besides that I had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: lagoon view room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelbuddd123

Dear missLauren95,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to read that you had a relaxing stay with us and had a chance to enjoy our fabulous pool and Cove Cafe buffet breakfast.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for another visit.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The Hotel is located in a beautiful setting, but that is the only positive thing I can say about my stay. We called on New Years day from Sydney and were informed by reception that our room was waiting for us. When we arrived four hours later our apparently had been given to someone else and we had to wait more than two hours to be shown to our upgraded suite. Some 2 plus hours later we were shown to our suite which to put it mildly was a "dump" that overlooked a "dump". We had requested a room close to the main house on the first floor as we did not want to walk stairs. We were given a room on the third floor in the building furthest from the main house. Management's response was basically they could do nothing as the room was their best.. Some hour or so later the duty manager miraculously found another suite for us in a building next to the main house with an elevator so there would be no stairs to walk. While it had seen better days (it was supposedly refurbished) it was quite acceptable. Two days later when I went to check my bill I questioned why I was charged an extra 200 per day. I was told it was a nicer room and they did not have to tell me the price differential when they moved me. Then on the last night of my stay I was told I had to move as they had rented the room to someone else. I was moved from a suite to a somewhat small double without any reduction in cost. As shabby as the physical condition of the hotel was the service provided by management was worse. The general manager was more concerned about my stay after I left than during my stay. I repeatedly heard from her via email after we left, but she was always too busy to return a call during our stay.Management would always say we understand, but there was never anything that they could do. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vettesfl
Monique H, General Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear vettesfl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us in January, we appreciate your feedback.

Please accept my sincerest apology again that the room initially reserved for you did not meet your expectation.

I am puzzled by your comments regarding our communication. We spoke for about 30 minutes on 2 January regarding your concerns, and during this conversation I offered some compensation for your concerns of 1 January which you accepted. Following your departure, I sent you one follow-up email in response to the Guest Comment Card you left with reception.

With regards to your room upgrade fee, the $200 was applied each night you were in the Federation Suite, however was not applied for your final night when you stayed in a Club King Room, in fact the rate was further reduced from what you originally booked.

Thank you again for the feedback and wishing you safe future travels.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I recently had the great pleasure of staying in what I would regard as one of the very best Intercontinental's I've stayed at. From the moment you arrive you have a sense of arriving somewhere special, the immaculate entrance with views to the stunning gardens, fountains and the lagoon are wonderful. You are greeted by fantastic staff who do every thing so well and so seamlessly. Everything including my welcome pack was ready and I was given a warm welcome by the some well presented, smart looking and pleasant staff at reception.

I was taken to my marvelous room by a knowledgable and adept bellman in a golf buggy, that's the quickest way to move around this resort. The room was simply Perfect, a wonderful view across the lagoon to the marina and waterways beyond. There was a brilliant King size bed that felt like a soft cloud, but still offering good support. Lovely pillows and nice quilt. I really didn't want to come out of the bed, but there's so much to explore so explore I did. I should also mention they have some lovely bathroom amenities from Agraria which I've only found at one other of my favorite Intercontinental hotels in San Francisco.

The property has lots of walking trails among beautiful tropical gardens, a modern golf course with good club facilities, a state of the art gym, and great IHG club facilities if you pay that tad more for a club room, I find that it's worth it for the drinks and canapés alone. The Restaurants in the hotel are excellent the Fireplace restaurant is first class, divine food, excellent service and just Perfect. The following morning I had the breakfast buffet in the Cove, which is first rate, with a chef on hand to cook you your eggs just the way you like them. It would be amiss of me not to mention that this was a very impressive buffet that offered everything, things you find parts of or not at all at other hotels had all been included here, just Marvelous.

You get a sense that there is very good management here with a great passion for customer service and quality and this passion reflects amongst all the staff, they know they are working somewhere special and they are proud of it. There are some that might find this hotel in parts a tad old or tired, but if you look past these cosmetic things, that are soon to be renovated, then one really could not fault a thing. All the staff that I dealt with are brilliant, all food was superb, fresh and tasty, five star. The room clean, beautifully decorated and quite. It really was all so Wonderful.

Thank you to all the staff at Sanctuary Cove for making my stay such a memorable one, I shall return. As a 12 year Platinum Priority Elite member of the IHG Priority Club and an Ambassador of the IHG privilege, I can highly recommend this Intercontinental Hotel, Resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank VangeInternational
Monique H, General Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear VangeInternational,

As a valued and loyal Platinum Elite member of both our IHG Rewards Club and our Ambassador program, I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our brand.

It was so pleasing to read your wonderful review and thank you for taking the time to post such detailed comments. I have shared your feedback with all of my team who were also thrilled that you enjoyed all apsects of your stay with us. My team are very special and all are incredibly proud of our brand and our beautiful resort and this does reflect in the way they interact with our guests - thank your for acknowledging this.

Wishing you safe future travels and we shall look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

How lucky are we to have such a truly beautiful hotel in such a wonderful location! The staff, amenities and our whole experience was exceptional! We stayed as Club guests and to say we were spoilt by the staff is an understatement! The staff in the club lounge went above and beyond to make our stay so much more enjoyable and personal! Well done Intercontinental for the five star treatment we received! We became Ambassador members after this stay! We will be back!! The food, grounds and pools are all amazing! Thank you Intercontinental!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Jjshipo,

What a pleasure to read your wonderful review. I am just delighted that you had such a great stay with us recently. Providing a unique and personalised experience is our goal, so it is really rewarding for the team to be acknowledged when they do this well.

So pleased to read you have joined our Ambassador program, it certainly provides some great benefits, so I am sure you will enjoy the membership.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Only stayed for one night but it was memorable non the less.

Very friendly staff throughout resort be it the Porters, Receptionists or house keepers.

The Salt Water Lagoon Pool is truly the feature of this resort. Perfect for the kids. The only drawback was that it seemed too salty. It's naturally fed by the nearby salt water river however it seemed saltier than the ocean water??

The room was comfortable but could probably use a new bed and new pillows as they weren't overly comfortable (room 419) the Aircon was a bit noisy as well which kept me awake at times during the night.

We had in room dessert and the Creme Brûlée was one of the best I ever had!!

Will definitely be back.

Stayed: January 2014
Monique H, General Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Mal W,

Thanks so much for choosing to stay with is recently, I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable time with us.

I do apologise for the in-room issues. Great to read that you loved the Cream Brulee!

We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope Island
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Peppers Soul
Peppers Soul
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort? Share your experiences!