We are here for 5 nights at the moment. As an intercontinental royal ambassador we got upgraded to a queenslander suite (described as parquet flooring). The first one felt dark, gloomy and smelled a bit musty. They showed me 2 others but they weren't really any better and they lost the benefit of being on ground floor with immediate access to the lawn. Finally I realised what was bothering me - I am allergic to dust and mould and felt really uncomfortable in each of these rooms, knew I would feel ill in them for 5 nights and that didn't appeal. I realised its because they all have carpet across most of the room, with parquet only on a small section, and the carpet is clearly quite old and harbouring who knows what, it definitely didng feel fresh and clean. For the first time ever I ended up opting out of the suite upgrade and going back to a standard twin room, as we are with 2 kids its a bit more of a squeeze and means there is no separate space when kids are asleep, but the room still feels nicer overall. It's a fairly sized and decently decorated room (106), nothing wow but not bad either. Bathroom quite a bit smaller than the suite but perfectly adequate with separate shower and bath. good size wardrobe to hold cases. Nice on ground floor giving straight onto the lawn - and can walk straight over to the pool that way.
But it feels like they haven't given the rooms or common areas on the property a really thorough clean in years. The cleaner herself is lovely and does a fine job of the daily clean of our room, bearing in kind she probably has a set time limit for each room. But pull a table away from the wall and you will be astonished by the cobwebs there. I haven't yet dared look under the bed but the amount I am sneezing even with only a tiny rug, tells me there is going to be more of the same under there. It's really noticeable as you walk around the property in general. Some lovely area in the gardens/pool, but I have noticed cobwebs everywhere internally and externally (ie within the building corridors just outside the rooms)
The spa pool button doesn't work so there are no bubbles, the pool bar hasn't been open for the past 2 days (apparently that may change now as more people have arrived).
The club lounge is small and not really staffed (which is ok, people pop in to clean regularly). Pleasant enough space with lots of windows. Tiny selection of drinks, really just basic waters, coke and lemonade. Plus a bit of wine or beer at evening canapés (we couldn't go because of kids). Sydney intercontinental has worked that out well - if you can't have evening canapés in lounge because of kids you can sit downstairs in the cortile cafe and choose drinks and a few light snacks off the menu. A very good alternative, the management here would do well to follow, as the club doesn't currently seem to offer enough benefit to be worth paying for.
I believe there are higher level suites than the queenslander and maybe these are much better but I haven't seen them so can't comment.
It is a very short walk to marina village - we drove the first time before we realised! It's probably just as close to walk as to walk to the car park - depending where your room is..
About 40 minutes drive to tambourine mountain which is worth a visit. Close to the theme parks, we will try sea world today.
Overall this could be a very decent property but really needs a bit of loving care and investment (time as much as money) to bring it up to the level I expect from intercontinental brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort is inspired by the grandeur of a beautiful Queenslander offering an elegant and stylish timeless design. Set in beautiful surrounds the pristine white sands of the resorts famous one acre salt-water beach lagoon pool is the backdrop to a resort filled with relaxation and sophistication. Escape to a world of comfort, style, luxury and relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Sanctuary Cove Hotel Gold Coast
- Hyatt Regency Gold Coast
- Hyatt Gold Coast
- InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort Hope Island, Gold Coast, Australia