“Time they had a spring clean”

InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hope Island
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We are here for 5 nights at the moment. As an intercontinental royal ambassador we got upgraded to a queenslander suite (described as parquet flooring). The first one felt dark, gloomy and smelled a bit musty. They showed me 2 others but they weren't really any better and they lost the benefit of being on ground floor with immediate access to the lawn. Finally I realised what was bothering me - I am allergic to dust and mould and felt really uncomfortable in each of these rooms, knew I would feel ill in them for 5 nights and that didn't appeal. I realised its because they all have carpet across most of the room, with parquet only on a small section, and the carpet is clearly quite old and harbouring who knows what, it definitely didng feel fresh and clean. For the first time ever I ended up opting out of the suite upgrade and going back to a standard twin room, as we are with 2 kids its a bit more of a squeeze and means there is no separate space when kids are asleep, but the room still feels nicer overall. It's a fairly sized and decently decorated room (106), nothing wow but not bad either. Bathroom quite a bit smaller than the suite but perfectly adequate with separate shower and bath. good size wardrobe to hold cases. Nice on ground floor giving straight onto the lawn - and can walk straight over to the pool that way.
But it feels like they haven't given the rooms or common areas on the property a really thorough clean in years. The cleaner herself is lovely and does a fine job of the daily clean of our room, bearing in kind she probably has a set time limit for each room. But pull a table away from the wall and you will be astonished by the cobwebs there. I haven't yet dared look under the bed but the amount I am sneezing even with only a tiny rug, tells me there is going to be more of the same under there. It's really noticeable as you walk around the property in general. Some lovely area in the gardens/pool, but I have noticed cobwebs everywhere internally and externally (ie within the building corridors just outside the rooms)
The spa pool button doesn't work so there are no bubbles, the pool bar hasn't been open for the past 2 days (apparently that may change now as more people have arrived).
The club lounge is small and not really staffed (which is ok, people pop in to clean regularly). Pleasant enough space with lots of windows. Tiny selection of drinks, really just basic waters, coke and lemonade. Plus a bit of wine or beer at evening canapés (we couldn't go because of kids). Sydney intercontinental has worked that out well - if you can't have evening canapés in lounge because of kids you can sit downstairs in the cortile cafe and choose drinks and a few light snacks off the menu. A very good alternative, the management here would do well to follow, as the club doesn't currently seem to offer enough benefit to be worth paying for.
I believe there are higher level suites than the queenslander and maybe these are much better but I haven't seen them so can't comment.
It is a very short walk to marina village - we drove the first time before we realised! It's probably just as close to walk as to walk to the car park - depending where your room is..
About 40 minutes drive to tambourine mountain which is worth a visit. Close to the theme parks, we will try sea world today.
Overall this could be a very decent property but really needs a bit of loving care and investment (time as much as money) to bring it up to the level I expect from intercontinental brand.

• Stayed: April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear SydneyLadybird,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best InterContinental Hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on our suites. We will look into this point. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Once again the staff shine here, as a regular you notice the small things and what I am noticing is the little niggles keep disappearing. Breakfast is great, the pool bar offers great dining options during the day while the lagoon is a great swimming option for kids. So quiet, the venue just seems to suck out the stress!

Only big gripe is the WiFi coverage is not great, apart from that and the rooms needing a little bit of TLC, it's great.

Room Tip: Hard together a bad room here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We came here to escape our busy lives for a few days and couldn't have picked better. Amazing landscaped gardens, lovely staff who took such excellent care of us and our three year old. being a pacific privilege member gave us a great rate with breakfast included, and what an awesome breakfast buffet it was. Danish as good as any I've ever had sitting on the verandah with tranquil views down the fountains to the lagoon. Perfect! Sanctuary cove is situated within twelve minutes drive to the theme parks, so excitement is close by, but in the meantime, enjoy sitting in the spa watching the sun set and listening to the birds. A special place! Oh, and if you don't want to eat at the hotel, the marina village is a short walk or buggy ride away for heaps more choice. Look at this if you're tired of surfers paradise but want a resort getaway. No downside on this one.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for one night (a Thursday) before heading off to a wedding in the hinterland. Check-in was very smooth at 6:30PM and the staff friendly on arrival. The rooms are a little dated now, especially for an Intercontinental, but clean and tidy. Didn't bother with the Wifi (additional) or breakfast (additional at $35 ea).

Overall it's fine, especially if you play to play the golf course, but not value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear geoffandmichelle,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding room cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our room being dated. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Yes another 5 star ( mind you it really is 3.75 stars) hotel charging for wi fi. When will they learn ? Hotel needs facelift, the arrival is disappointing ( remove trellis and plant trees). Hotel front should have climbers up the trellis ( make it less sterile ) otherwise pleasant place if you love golf or are over 80 and loved stepford wives

• Stayed: April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Kerry K,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. My apologies for falling short of your expectations with the condition of our hotel and the service you received. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C

Reviewed April 9, 2013

A bit of a strange hotel I thought. My first impression was not good because the hotel was over-run by wedding guests when we first checked in. The room was definitely nothing special - really disappointed on that front. Some of the service was a bit slow, with people saying they would get to this or that, but they wouldn't unless you reminded them. Yet, some of the staff were fabulous - very friendly and helpful. However, the grounds were lovely and the lagoon pool is one of the best swimming pools of any hotel I've ever stayed at. Breakfast was also quite enjoyable. But, the location in general (sanctuary Cove) was absolutely artificial and nothing I would really recommend. So, as I said, a mixed bag.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear UMH,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff and our swimming pool. We would like to apologize you were not satisfied with the room accommodations and service you received. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went away for the weekend with my partner for our anniversary. We had been looking forward to the stay here for quite some time but were quite dissapointed for majority of our stay. It is a wonderful and popular place for weddings but this firstly was annoying as even though we arrived just after check in there was not one king size bed left in the hotel, very dissapointed, considering I rang that morning and asked if thats what we were receiving, they gave us a bottle of wine to apologise, didn't really help as we're not big drinkers nor did that change the small bedding situation. The waitress in the press lounge was lovely, best service I've seen in a while. Breakfast was a hassle as we turned up and they had to make calls to see if we had it in our package, then claimed we didn't even though I know we had booked it. The guy then asked me to sort it out upon check out, I had to show him the confirmation email for him to go okay I'll sort that out for you, rather annoying to be treated so unimportantly. Won't be going back but I do hope they improve their services.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Laura O,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the inconvenience the room assigned to you may have caused. Please understand that bed types are not guaranteed at check-in as it will depend on what is available and occupancy level of the hotel. It does not happen all the time, I guess the hotel was busy at the time you've check-in that's why the bed type you reserved is no longer available. Nevertheless, I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G

Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Peppers Soul
Peppers Soul
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort? Share your experiences!