“A Mixed Bag”

InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hope Island
Reviewed April 9, 2013

A bit of a strange hotel I thought. My first impression was not good because the hotel was over-run by wedding guests when we first checked in. The room was definitely nothing special - really disappointed on that front. Some of the service was a bit slow, with people saying they would get to this or that, but they wouldn't unless you reminded them. Yet, some of the staff were fabulous - very friendly and helpful. However, the grounds were lovely and the lagoon pool is one of the best swimming pools of any hotel I've ever stayed at. Breakfast was also quite enjoyable. But, the location in general (sanctuary Cove) was absolutely artificial and nothing I would really recommend. So, as I said, a mixed bag.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear UMH,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff and our swimming pool. We would like to apologize you were not satisfied with the room accommodations and service you received. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went away for the weekend with my partner for our anniversary. We had been looking forward to the stay here for quite some time but were quite dissapointed for majority of our stay. It is a wonderful and popular place for weddings but this firstly was annoying as even though we arrived just after check in there was not one king size bed left in the hotel, very dissapointed, considering I rang that morning and asked if thats what we were receiving, they gave us a bottle of wine to apologise, didn't really help as we're not big drinkers nor did that change the small bedding situation. The waitress in the press lounge was lovely, best service I've seen in a while. Breakfast was a hassle as we turned up and they had to make calls to see if we had it in our package, then claimed we didn't even though I know we had booked it. The guy then asked me to sort it out upon check out, I had to show him the confirmation email for him to go okay I'll sort that out for you, rather annoying to be treated so unimportantly. Won't be going back but I do hope they improve their services.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Laura O,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the inconvenience the room assigned to you may have caused. Please understand that bed types are not guaranteed at check-in as it will depend on what is available and occupancy level of the hotel. It does not happen all the time, I guess the hotel was busy at the time you've check-in that's why the bed type you reserved is no longer available. Nevertheless, I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed a number of times when this hotel was a Hyatt, we stayed for valentines day in a suite and were not disappointed.
The club lounge has moved to a better spot which makes the most of the lovely views over the pools and lagoon.
There was a function on while we were staying and the events team did a great job (as an onlooker I was very jealous of the attendees).

The suite room was not everything that I had hoped but it was lovely and if I had never stayed in a suite I would have been very impressed.
The size of the room was great. The bathroom was oversized and full of fantastic products.
I think I just don't like the carpet but thats my own thing. It is a really nice hotel.
Great for families.
I had a friend visit with her son and he had a great time, on the rocks, at the lagoon, the jungle gym, swings and the pool.
Great family resort but as a couple we also enjoy everything this hotel has to offer.

Breakfast buffet is much the same as when a Hyatt but some of the awe is gone as the pancakes and waffles are no longer made to order.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had the good fortune to book a 4 day stay here at club level. My one and only complaint is that I put on about three kilos which I am now trying desperately to lose. Club level entitles you to lunch and evening drinks and canapes. Staff are fantastic and drinks keep flowing and the food is good and plentiful. (I dont know why I thought it would be a good idea to also go out to dinner afterwards?).

Weather was not so great while we were there, which was disappointing, however we had one sunny day and the pools are really nice and the resort is beautifully landscaped. No sea beach though which might be important if you have kids.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go club lounge, and check out whether it is worth while signing up for priorit...
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in the hotel during Christmas 2012 and had a wonderful time. We were upgraded to the lagoon View room which included two comfy queen sized beds, large cupboard for storage, seperate bath/shower bathroom, verandah and all facilities to make your own tea coffee

This is a beautiful hotel located away from many things and nestled between couple of golf courses near waters edge. It is also in between Dreamworld & Movie World which was excellent and easy to access if you have your own vehicle.

The room & bathroom was clean - something which is a must at hotels we stay in. however it is starting to show age, but the staff are doing well to maintain the rooms. They also provide hotel umbrellas for times when it storms which is excellent.

Beautiful property with a beautiful man made lagoon. Great attentive staff that are always there to help. There are some nice cafe's and restaurants about 5-10mins leisurely walk from the hotel.

This place is a must stay if you are looking for a nice relaxing break and/or want to be in between the theme parks.

I will definitely be returning here in the near future.

Room Tip: Get the Lagoon view room it has wonderful views - ask for a free upgrade when you are checking in as...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I really liked this new intercontinental and would love to come back. I'm also hoping it'll get even better because it has true potential to be a very special place.
I went there with a friend on a girl's weekend away. They gave us an upgrade from the club twin marina view room to a king lagoon suite( we ended up getting an extra rollaway bed which we placed in the dining room). The suite was lovely, spacious with two basins in the main toilet/ bathroom a bath tub and separate shower. There was also a smaller toilet in the suite.
I think the suite space was great and it also had some beautiful Victorian tiling. The only thing that I would like to see is the sofas getting a bit more updated, the whole decor looks a bit tired and dated. Also the shower would benefit from getting a more modern and bigger shower flower to get the full benefit of a powerful shower massage. But I'm sure the IHG is onto it already.
The staff were mostly lovely and courteous, I think they do need to up their ante a bit as they are too Queensland laid back. For example, they asked me what newspaper I wanted as part of the check in and of being an IHG Ambassador member but I never got it. I could have rung to remind them about it but I couldn't be bothered as I was more interested in going to the swimming pool and working on my tan. They also put some hair conditioner as part of the body care pack in the toilet instead of body lotion. I ended up lathering myself with conditioner all over my body instead of body lotion after a full day in the sun. Again, I could have rung to request some body lotion but couldn't be bothered as I expect housekeeping to get it right as it is not rocket science and it is their job to put shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion(not conditioner x 2) in the bathrooms.
The hotel is located in prime location as it is connected to the villa so you can also walk or request the hotel to give you a lift in one of their buggies and you have a few options for dining, bars and shops right at your hotel doorstep.
Other than the conditioner pretending to be a body lotion and no newspaper situation, we had a fabulous time, would love to come back and see the improvements that seem to be due to a need for a bit more training.
Really lovely place overall!

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a marina view or lagoon view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for 12nights in March and had a wonderful time mostly due to the staff of the hotel.
The beautiful gardens and river provide endless sounds of Birds, namely Butcher Birds to the restful environment. The small village is close by and a delight for the fashionista .there are some famous restaurants also.
Back to the hotel:the club room has some healthy choices along with endless wine or beer.
Breakfast is great as before when it was the Hyatt. golf courses are close by and the Pines Especially has a terrific Golf Shop and the very best Cappacino for $3.50
Parking is free at the hotel and the buggy will take you to any shop or bring you back which is a great service for people who can't walk too far.
So if you need a rest and a bit of retail therapy plus lots of great food ,go to the Intercontinental Sanctuary Cove

Room Tip: Get a club room overlooking the pool 2nd ,or 3rd floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 5 in Main Beach
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 7 in Broadbeach

Been to InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort? Share your experiences!