“Looking very old and tired”

Springbrook Mountain Chalets
Gold Coast
“Looking very old and tired”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Let me begin by saying that we got a deal on Wotif.com for $170 for the night. The normal price is $275 per night - if I had paid this much I would be absolutely furious. $170 was still too much, but it was bearable. When we arrived at 2.30pm they had no idea we were coming although I had called twice to confirm check-in times etc, and we had to go away and come back in 20 minutes. Once we got inside our chalet it was apparent that 20 minutes was not enough time for the room to be cleaned properly. We stayed in Chalet 1. The spa bath is absolutely tiny and in a claustrophobic corner, it looks out of a window that is grey with grime and absolutely caked with cobwebs. I love baths and spas but we didn't even use this one, that's how unappealing it was. The whole toilet/bathroom area is tiny and very dated. The kitchen is also very dated and there was a large cupboard with a full height solid pine door under the stairs, we had to move a small pot to open it, and immediately found out why - the door hinges had no screws and the whole door fell on me! The wood stove was great but the door handle's back half (i.e. non-visible half) had broken off exposing the metal core, which was super hot and gave my husband a huge burn on his hand. The whole cabin was VERY dusty and there were lots of cobwebs, and the outside lights did not work so coming and going at night was scary. There was a barbecue area which was filthy, overgrown and had obviously not been used for years, and I saw what looked like a tennis court and broken basketball hoop but did not investigate further. We were offered a late (11am) checkout but left early and were glad to get out of there. The photographs on the website seem to have been taken when the place was first built - their entrance sign on the road is faded, cracked and old, and I remember saying to my husband, I hope the chalets are better than the sign. They weren't.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank infiji

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in the delux cabin at Springbrook chalets and what a memorable treat it was for us and our children. The cabin was very spacious and included an internal bridge, spa pool and reading lounge. There was a communal swing near reception - the longest I've ever seen. The kids felt like they were flying. The bathrooms were a bit dated but very clean. Extremely private and relaxing. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank GabeBrisbane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springbrook
Bungunyah Manor Resort
#1 of 3 in Springbrook
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa
Binna Burra Mountain Lodge
The Sanctuary Bed and Breakfast

Been to Springbrook Mountain Chalets? Share your experiences!