“Wonderful Stay”

Springbrook Mountain Chalets
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I could not believe that bad reviews about this property. We had an absolute wonderful stay. So impressed about the layout of the chalet it was very roomy and I loved the way the upstairs room stays warm into the night. The manager was very helpful and helped me to start the fire after I failed numerous times to get it going :-( really enjoyed our stay what a magical location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank restauranteer15

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I was quite shocked to read the previous reviews of these chalets. Ok, they are fairly dated and there are some areas for improvement, but all in all this was a lovely mountain retreat and a definite "something different" on our recent honeymoon. We spent 3 days and 2 nights here midweek.

There are 5 chalets in all, quite spaced out on a large plot of forest. We were in chalet 3. It was very clean and tidy, although the furniture was a little dated. It was definitely aimed towards the cosy, solitary, romantic brigade as you do feel quite alone once it gets dark - which is early as the dense tree canopy doesn't let in much sunlight. The living area had lots of blankets, throws and cushions, and the log fire was lovely although we struggled to get it alight. There were 2 good sized rooms, again very clean and comfy.

There was the odd bizarre moment - we arrived to find 2 champagne glasses on the table by way of greeting, but not a drop of alcohol in sight, so we weren't sure whether they had intended to leave us some wine and forgot. The kitchen appliances and utensils are a bit tired and could do with an overhaul. The towels are quite thin, and the spa bath has an elaborate set of instructions but is a bit of a damp squib. The screens are a bit cobwebby and could do with a clean, but the whole place is certainly not filthy by any means.

We had a lovely chat with the guy who owns it and he was very kind and helpful, if not slightly disparaging about the overall length of our trip to Oz and the places we were going.

I think 2 nights was ample as the solitidue and surroundings might feel creepy after a while - don't watch scary films!

Whether you stay in these chalets or not, please make the effort to visit Springbrook Mountain as it has some of the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen, we feel very lucky to have that one ticked off.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tigereyes24
brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Cold and damp. The only heating was the fire and the timber was so damp it took a gas firelighter, kerosene fire starters and kindling purchased from the General Store to finally get a decent fire going. Attitude of manager was unhelpful and unfriendly.
No batteries in the remote, no dry timber, no coat hangers to hang your clothes on, no drying facilities for towels which were amazingly thin. Inadequate blankets.
Spa pool was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank janeaverage
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Upon entering the premises you will find some rusty car wheels, plates sitting on the footpath, and general waste littered across the ground. It is at this point you should do a 3 point turn and get out of there!

We managed to set foot into a room, as briefly as it was, to smell an overpowering damp moldy smell throughout the whole 3 floors. We even stayed at the "prestige" chalet 4, offering a personal spa pool. This "spa pool" is located in the lower floor, on it's own, surrounded by concrete walls. (*shiver)

The towels upstairs were almost paper thin, the bedroom has no ensuite and so you would need to walk downstairs to use the bathroom, the kitchen and bathroom are old and tired, we didn't even stay long enough to find any more problems. The website displays photos that are very well photo-shopped and present a "modern" feel to old style chalets. This is certainly not the case, as mentioned above it is very rundown, and smells of mould.

We left promptly and stayed at the mouses house instead, which was remarkably, $10 cheaper! I only hope that this review will save people from making the same mistake.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nvanjole
Mount Isa, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

I would just like to advise that if you are trying to get a refund, I highly recommend you refer the matter to the office of Fair Trading. I got sick & tired of the excuses made by Springbrook Mountain Chalets – emails not received, stolen phone etc.

I am happy to advise that once I referred the matter to the office of Fair Trading a quick resolve was made. Funny how when you report them to Fair Trading they quickly get their act together with a full refund (although they still couldn’t get my name right on the refund - unbelievable)!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer C
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Kitchen - every cupboard we opened smelled of mould. Inadequately equipped for anyone wanting to cook, the cutlery and crockery looked like it had come from a dollar shop and the pans were dirty with broken lids and handles. The knives were so blunt my partner had to use his own penknife to cut veggies and we ate soup and cereal with teaspoons as there were no dessert or soup spoons. Every oven tray had crumbs in it, one had a centimetre of congealed grease and bits of old food. We didn't use it.

Bathroom - vanity and shower were filthy, at best they had been wiped round with a dirty rag between guests. The toilet roll holder was broken and the half roll we had been left (for 5 days) fell into a puddle of water from the leaking toilet. Judging from the rotten floorboards around the toilet and shower, this was not a new problem.

Based on the state of the bathroom we weren't game to try the hot tub, which I had imagined might have been out on a leafy deck with views of the rainforest. Wrong. It was in a dingy basement with no natural light and the light switch didn't work, maybe deliberate to disguise how dirty it was. There was a door leading out to what may have once been a seating area but is now a dumping ground for old buckets, hoses and rotting cloths. And a mop I sincerely hope was not used on any floors inside the cabin. The verandah off the main room had to be swept before it could be used and I could have carved my name in the grime on the table. Disgusting.

The bed was comfortable enough and the sheets appeared clean although I didn't want to look too closely. Chocolates left on the bed were not enough to compensate for one thin pillow each and a very dodgy doona. Spare pillows in the wardrobe were old and stained with no covers on them. Not good enough.

The young lad in charge was clearly not interested when we reported the leaking toilet and broken light switch. I had to ask for toilet roll, washing up liquid and matches to light the fire which had to be emptied of old wood and ashes. The reception area was dirty and disorganised with dead flies on the counter.

Does anybody care about this place? The cabins themselves are beautifully tucked away in the rainforest and could be lovely with a bit of TLC. I guess they were built in the late 70s and haven't been renovated or upgraded since then. What a shame - I feel sorry for anyone who plans a relaxing holiday there without doing some research first (I have certainly learned my lesson). Don't book it if you have any hygiene standards

Room Tip: We were in a "luxury" chalet (no 4). Don't even consider it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kat_C67
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

Booked through WOTIF and then read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was dreading it! When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. Nice accommodation and helpful manager who came and lit the fireplace for us because we had some trouble getting it going. Springbrook is for relaxing. romance and reading a book. Chalets were fully equipped and well looked after. Large LCD TVs with DVD players (although the free DVD collection although large is not very up to date). This is not a Sheraton but we found it lovely and romantic and spent 2 days not leaving our chalet. We have booked again for New Year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springbrook
Bungunyah Manor Resort
#1 of 3 in Springbrook
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa
Binna Burra Mountain Lodge
The Sanctuary Bed and Breakfast

Been to Springbrook Mountain Chalets? Share your experiences!