Springbrook Mountain Chalets
  • Spa
TripAdvisor
All reviewselectric blanketsspa bathhard drivebeautiful rainforestromantic getawaylistening to the birdschalet numberour honeymoonlog firethe managerstwo nightsgirls weekenddancing watersking parrotswood stovenight staytwin falls
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Kitchen - every cupboard we opened smelled of mould. Inadequately equipped for anyone wanting to cook, the cutlery and crockery looked like it had come from a dollar shop and the pans were dirty with broken lids and handles. The knives were so blunt my partner had to use his own penknife to cut veggies and we ate soup and cereal with teaspoons as there were no dessert or soup spoons. Every oven tray had crumbs in it, one had a centimetre of congealed grease and bits of old food. We didn't use it.

Bathroom - vanity and shower were filthy, at best they had been wiped round with a dirty rag between guests. The toilet roll holder was broken and the half roll we had been left (for 5 days) fell into a puddle of water from the leaking toilet. Judging from the rotten floorboards around the toilet and shower, this was not a new problem.

Based on the state of the bathroom we weren't game to try the hot tub, which I had imagined might have been out on a leafy deck with views of the rainforest. Wrong. It was in a dingy basement with no natural light and the light switch didn't work, maybe deliberate to disguise how dirty it was. There was a door leading out to what may have once been a seating area but is now a dumping ground for old buckets, hoses and rotting cloths. And a mop I sincerely hope was not used on any floors inside the cabin. The verandah off the main room had to be swept before it could be used and I could have carved my name in the grime on the table. Disgusting.

The bed was comfortable enough and the sheets appeared clean although I didn't want to look too closely. Chocolates left on the bed were not enough to compensate for one thin pillow each and a very dodgy doona. Spare pillows in the wardrobe were old and stained with no covers on them. Not good enough.

The young lad in charge was clearly not interested when we reported the leaking toilet and broken light switch. I had to ask for toilet roll, washing up liquid and matches to light the fire which had to be emptied of old wood and ashes. The reception area was dirty and disorganised with dead flies on the counter.

Does anybody care about this place? The cabins themselves are beautifully tucked away in the rainforest and could be lovely with a bit of TLC. I guess they were built in the late 70s and haven't been renovated or upgraded since then. What a shame - I feel sorry for anyone who plans a relaxing holiday there without doing some research first (I have certainly learned my lesson). Don't book it if you have any hygiene standards

Room Tip: We were in a "luxury" chalet (no 4). Don't even consider it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kat_C67
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Booked through WOTIF and then read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was dreading it! When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. Nice accommodation and helpful manager who came and lit the fireplace for us because we had some trouble getting it going. Springbrook is for relaxing. romance and reading a book. Chalets were fully equipped and well looked after. Large LCD TVs with DVD players (although the free DVD collection although large is not very up to date). This is not a Sheraton but we found it lovely and romantic and spent 2 days not leaving our chalet. We have booked again for New Year.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2011. Our chalet was clean upon arrival with a bottle of wine waiting. We did infact have towels, bedding, electric blankets, working appliances and the chalet was relatively clean. Yes we found a ant here or there and a bug or two but really what do you expect. Its a wooden chalet situated in the rainforest. Overall we enjoyed our stay and our trip furher up the road to a few of the many walking trails and lookouts the area has to offer. Many of the comments posted here and me worried but i really cant justify what they are saying after experiencing it for myself. Hope this helps ^.^

Room Tip: We stay in Chalet 3
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CKC02
Reviewed September 26, 2011

After the arrival of our baby girl this year my Husband decided to treat me to a lovely relaxing weekend away. We have stayed previously at "The Mouse House" in Springbook and as this was sold out at this time had made an alternative arrangement to stay here. Never ever again. On arrival we were greeted by an overfilled ashtray on the patio. Should of known then to leave. The bin had not been cleaned, the fire place still filled with previously burnt wood, fridge was unclean although we were accomodated with a cheap bottle of champagne most likely to get so drunk that everything would look better or feel better when we went off to sleep. The bed was shocking. Old innerspring mattress that caved in towards the middle with a nice touch of massage from the piercing inner springs. We had not one ounce of sleep that night. When we approached the staff they apparently had never had this complaint before about Chalet 2's bed. Well i think that may be a little lie. We were then 'upgraded' to Chalet 4. Thought we were a little special as we were 'upgraded'. I also was excited as we were promised a beautiful view from every window only to be veiwing an overflowing trash can., out the side door.Photoworthy too. Again, on arrival, we found a dirty microwave, no towels, missing light bulbs, past tenants bath mat still on the floor, and fortunately, a comfortable bed. When my husband went to ask for some towels, he was told that there weren't any and that we could go and retrieve our used ones from the previous chalet. Well I guess at least we were the only ones to of used them! I would not recommend this place to anyone. I feel with some better management and general cleaning these little cabins would be lovely. Apparently we have a discounted stay for next time. I dont think I would even bother. The Mouse House, here we come!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Carla B
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This place would have to be the most overpriced and disgusting property i have ever had the mispleasure of staying in. After booking in we arrived in our freezing chalet and like the rest of the comments we experienced, dirty everything, no linen on beds, no electric blankets, no towels, no gas, no hot water, no view due to filth and cobweb build up, no kindling and then to the filth, pubic hair and a mould covered bathroom, broken blinds, dust on everything, broken dishes, glasses and electric frypan had no bottom. Absolutely no service from owner once booked in and to top it all off they overcharged me $52 on my credit card, two phone calls and two emails in two months and still no refund. I am off to consumer affairs, credit card fraud and springbrooke mountains chamber of commerce and I hope the other people whom have posted do the same, someone has to stop this absolute thieving of peoples dreams and money! I cried all the way home, a nice suprise for a very sick hubby turned into our worst nightmare.Should have walked out of there the moment the stench hit our noses on entry to the place. STAY AWAY

Room Tip: Book anywhere but here!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family