“Very Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Regency On The Beach
Sydney
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I have now stayed at the Regency for a second time, this time in the Studio room. We got there early and we were able to get a our studio room by 12noon which was nice but at the expense of proper house keeping. We notice as soon as we got in the toilet was not certified being clean, the tap to wash the hands had some brown stuff on it, we had to clean the room our selves, the carpet under the beds had not been clean. it looked to us that the male cleaner rushed the cleaning process of the room. BTW we were not rushing to get into our room we were happy to leave our bags with recepo but. Anyway after initally asking for a upgrade from Studio to a 1 Bedder the receptionist came with the story i am sorry we are full from this morning that person that came before you took the last room?, I thought this was BS when the Vacancy sign at the front still said Vacancy and it still said vacancy for the duration of a our stay I could not understand for a extra $15 a night we could of upgraded to a 1 Bedder on the Internet ( i reckon what happen here was the cleaner was programmed to clean our studio apartment that day and refused to clean another 1 bedroom apartment for us) . The Studio Apartment was small, had two single beds, No washing machine/dryer!, a micro kitchenette that was not good we couldn't fit much into a mini bar fridge which was iced up, didn't refrigerate properly, there was a microwave and toaster, utensils for 2, 2 oldly different sized strange blue drinking glasses,2 mugs, 2 wine glasses, and 2 plates and 2 bowls that were not normal like other hotels i have stayed at they were not round they were funky looking. There was a 80cm LCD tv/DVD player and VCR with all the free to air channels + Austar line up that has changed since last time I was there inc. Music Max, Fox Footy, Fox Sport 2 and 3, Discovery, two unknown Movie channels, Ajazerra News Channel and Nickelodeon. The Bathroom had no lock on it, the shower head wasn't that great either water pressure wise, The Toilet suite was very weak at flushing, I had to flush 3 times sometimes. The room had a balcony facing the backyard of another complex, also we were facing the other apartments (so we were looking at each other) as well but it was angled enough to view the ocean, I could smell cigarette smoke whilst seated on the balcony all the time. The wall mounted LG aircond was ok it had a bright pilot light (during operation) which could not be turned off during the night unless you power off the aircond you will notice at 5:30 am in the morning the room would heat up allot so you couldn't really turn off the aircond during the night. The studio on level 3 shares a main door 307 which we locked all the time and we stayed in 307B our neighbours were 307A, the way the resort is laid out it was awkward for 2 people to share the keys and fob for example if 1 person wants to stay in the room and the other wants to swim/walk at the beach, who should have the key or swipe fob? and should we lock the main door to 307?.should i take the swipe fob and exit/enter via the main foyer from the beach (walk around via Gold coast Hwy) or take the main key and enter via the rear key locked gate and go via the games room to enter the building. can the other person hear me when i knock on the main 307 door if i only have the fob (not the main key) will the people staying in 307A get annoyed at this (the main 307 and 307B doors can be locked from the inside without a key). allot of these things are left to be desired and makes for 1 awkward stay in a studio apartment. anyway nothing really changed since last time the buses are still there, its a nice quiet location to stay, you have to take the bus to Burleigh heads or Palm beach for food etc...You can hear the ocean whilst in the apartment, the swimming pool temp is good during March.
To be really honest it should be really renamed to Regency at Tallebudgera Creek or Regency at Burleigh Heads as it is closer to Tallebudgera Creek/Burleigh heads than it is to the Palm Beach CBD which is a misnomer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SugBrisbane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I had booked this many months ago after visiting here and physically viewing different rooms that would be suitable for the bridal party night before the wedding. After confirming room was still available not once but twice, I was assured that the room I had chosen (which would be used for photos on the day as well) was the one I had chosen. I then again confirmed on the morning of our arrival to see if we could leave wedding dress and other things there as we had many deliveries and other appointments that day...which reception were very helpful with and said it would be fine. On our arrival we were then told that unfortunately our room was NOT available as the air conditioner did not work and we would be moved to another room (HIDEOUS ROOM AND DEFINITELY NOT PHOTO WORTHY). Very disappointed as I had specifically chosen the room based on decore and space. 4 people staying in the room for 2 nights - 3 tea bags, 3 coffee satchels and 3 sugars. To top it off, even though we were moved into an air conditioned room it turned out that the only people (Grooms family) who had travelled the furtherest (Sydney) were then given the un-air conditioned room!!! The view was lovely....that was it!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
logan qld
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Great price for a short break or stop over...5min from the airport...2min walk for great steak and a cold drink at the surf club and you are right on the beach...rooms are tidy and clean just a nice size for 2..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeffmLoganQld
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

Yes, it's not the Taj but for 3 nights for just over $300, you can't expect too much in a 2 bed apartment- unless it's the middle of winter. It's the height of summer now, and we booked the standard 2 bedroom as it was a last minute decision to go and we didn't want to spend too much.

We were happy with what we got. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen functional, the entire apartment was cooled by one aircon unit but it was still fine to sleep on a sultry summer's night. We had a small view of the water from our equally small side facing balcony.

The downside was the room was closest room to the main road so traffic noise delayed my sleep a little; the bathroom was also very small with only a basin, shower and toilet jammed into a small space. So a bit of rostering shower and toilet stops was required with our family of four.

I am a surfer so I managed to slip out quite often to enjoy the local waves. I am not too concerned about having to carry my board up and down stairs or the lift, but with only one key that I had to leave that with my wife, I had to always coordinate times to meet back at the apartment.

Why only one key? When we checked in at 5.15pm the office was shut and were greeted by intercom and safe to retrieve the room key. Then the office was closed for the rest of the weekend. In fact, I never spoke to any staff the entire 3 nights. Self check in, self check out! Not so bad I guess, but two keys would have made my life simpler.

But really, I can't complain. It was clean, cool, had a good fridge and (old) CRT TV, etc, but it was fine for the money. The pool was right on the beach, my kids loved their first sauna, so we overall we had an enjoyable weekend.

The Regency is at a great location. The Tallebudgera Surf Club is right next door for safe swimming as well as great meals and drinks, and one of the best and uncrowded beaches on the Gold Coast. The water was warm, the waves great, so what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: I would suggest maybe booking the deluxe 2 bedroom...and asking for a beach facing room, or at least...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Seyahbiz
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

When I arrived early receiption was very helpful by holding my luggage for me so I could go for a look around while my room was getting ready.
I booked a fully self contained studio for 8 nights. I have to say I was VERY disapointed when I walked into a small room with two single beds a tiny kitchenette, no phone no washing machine. The next day I asked receiption if there had been a mistake but no. So I asked if I could up grade to a better room. For an extra $250 I could upgrade to a better room but I managed to get that down to $140 for a fully self contained studio appartment? The carpet was very dirty and the dishes were not clean. Bathroom was dusty and unclean.
The caretaker and the receptionist were very nice people. But the owner was nothing but a big mouth, "I like to hear myself speak" loser with only money on his mind.
Some money has to be spent on these rooms, the photos possibly view the very top appartment but not rooms for rent.
I would only not stay again because of the cost did not reflect the style.

Room Tip: If you are not fussy then don't bother reading these reviews. But if you want cleaniness and com...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank clairechilly
Murray Bridge, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Through checkin.com we booked a room deal for four nights at $85.00 per night. I was a bit annoyed at my husband for booking this place because tripadvisor's reviews weren't that spectacular - but where else could you pay $85.00 per night and wake up to the sound and sight of the ocean?
I didn't expect a palace for the price, but was very pleasantly surprised at our room. It was a little tired, but comfortable, clean and attractive. The apartment was well stocked with kitchen utensils,microwave, washing machine, dryer, cable tv etc. And we could watch the sea from the loungeroom, the balcony or in our bedroom. It wasn't 'wow' and luxurious, but we were very happy with our apartment. We really enjoyed swimming and using the hot tub.
Coles and Woolworths are quite a walk away for groceries, so I'd suggest catching a bus. Once we discovered the fantastic prices next door at the Talle Surfing Club for meals and cappucinos, groceries weren't such a big deal.
The caretakers, Miriam and Tony, are lovely, obliging people. We liked them as soon as we met them. They added to the enjoyment and comfort of our stay.
I love the area that Regency on The Beach is situated in. We had previously done all the tourist things in Surfers and wanted (and got) a recreational, relaxing holiday. There's a beautiful beach right out the front, a rain forest walk to Tweed Heads just across the bridge, and a gorgeous river (or lake?) close by that's great for picnics and swimming. Beautiful.
Apartments are individually owned, so I guess we were very lucky in getting an apartment that was well maintained and owned with pride. We would definitely love to stay again and intend to ask for the same room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Poem60
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

We booked to stay in an Ocean view 1 bedroom apartment for 3 nights. Every element was terrible.

From the hotel website we expected this place to be a bit daggy and tired but we expected it would have great ocean views because it is right on the beach and the photos of the room on the website show impressive ocean views all the way around i.e. from the lounge and kitchen and bedroom etc. When we got to the room we were very disappointed to find that there was NO ocean view from within the apartment (see photo attached). Instead we got to look directly into another run down apartment block. You could only see the ocean if you stepped right out on to the balcony. Also, the room itself was quite different from the website photos. The room we were given had a much older kitchen (renovated in the picture), horrible dirty carpet (tiles in the picture) and was really dingy.The website also described our room as having wooden doors that open wide on to the patio whereas our room had terribly corroded 70's metal doors that were hard to open and lock. I figured there must have been a mistake so I went back down to reception and very politely enquired if there was a room available with an ocean view as that was what we had booked. The lady at reception very clearly stated that we had been given an ocean view room and there was absolutely nothing she could do as they were completely full. After my partner reviewed our booking and the description (in case we had made a mistake) he went down to reception to see what could be done. After explaining to the same lady at reception that the photos on the website were nothing like our room, another (more expensive of course) room miraculously became available. We had a look at this room to see whether it was worth the extra $55 p.n. they wanted to charge us but it was no better quality, just bigger which we didn't need for two people.

From this disappointing start it just kept going down hill.

All the dishes in the cupboards were filthy - and I am not just being picky, I could write may name in the grease on the wine glasses. I later discovered that they charge you a fee if you leave dirty dishes on the sink at check out. This obviously encourages guests to just put them in the cupboards dirty.

The bed was terrible and completely sank in the middle. The air-conditioner was broken so it only blew straight down the wall (we resorted to taping it up with band-aids when we were at our wits end at 1am). I was afraid I was going to catch something from the carpet. They left us with only half a roll of toilet paper for a three night stay. The in-room brochure stated there was a mini-gym which was non-existent. I could go on but you get the gist...

We ended up checking out a night early as we badly wanted to have the comforts of home and couldn't stand to stay in such a dump another night.

The only positive was that the hotel seemed quite empty (we only saw two other groups of people the entire time - no surprises why in hindsight).

There are 1000's of hotels at the Gold Coast. CHOOSE ANOTHER ONE!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here only the very front room on each level has a good ocean view. Do not be fooled...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Royal Palm Resort
Royal Palm Resort
#5 of 15 in Palm Beach
Princess Palm On The Beach Apartments Gold Coast

Been to Regency On The Beach? Share your experiences!