“I was worried but it was OK...” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Turtle Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Mermaid Beach
Tasmania, AUS
“I was worried but it was OK...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

I was worried about Turtle Beach from the other reviews on this site. However, our room was clean, no mildew smell, air con worked and no cockroaches!

Our room (partner, two kids and myself) was on the third floor. If you want to secure a ground floor apartment you have to pay extra - $40 AU per night. Our apartment faced the Gold Coast Hwy on one side but it was not noisy. The other side of the apartment had a balcony facing the pool area - that was noisy! Pool hours are 7.30am - 9pm. It seemed as if most children were in that area from dusk till dawn and they made the most noise out of anyone. I definitely would not stay at TB if I did not have kids with me.

The convenience store is over priced. You need your own dish washing detergent and laundry detergent too.

All in all, a decent place to stay.

• Liked — The balcony over looking palm trees and pool area.
  • Disliked — Other people's noisy kids!
1 Thank EsmeBunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

We have recently retuned from our holiday on the gold coast.
This resort is advertised as an award winning 4 stars resort so we had thought it would justify the higher costs we paid.

We arrived to find the room was very small and when the additional fold-up bed for our daughter was opened, there was no room to move and you had to climbed over the bed to get in and out of the bed room.

The bedroom was facing the Gold Coast highway and the noise was very loud especially during the weekends.

The worse thing about the room was the curtains. They were too short (may have shrunk after being washed ) and did not meet in the middle resulting in a strong bright sunlight shining through from 06:00AM every morning. There was no escaping that torturing light even turning to the other side of the bed only met with the light reflecting from the wardrobe mirrored floor to ceiling doors.

When I complained to staff about this and said that being woken up at 06:00 AM was not my idea of a relaxing holiday, they said there was nothing they could do about it. I was left having to come up with a way to sort the problem out myself by using clothes pegs and towels to block the light.

The other unfortunate aspect was we felt the room was not cleaned properly after previous guests stayed. Lights switches and door handles felt dirty. The bathroom had an old leak which cause the paint to come off. No apparent attempt to fix that was made.

I suggest you check in advance if your room is facing east & the motorway and avoid it if possible. I can't be sure if other rooms have the same type of curtains but I would check if you enjoy a sleep in while on holidays.

• Disliked — My daughter enjoyed the pool and mini golf
1 Thank Kiwi_MM
NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Have just returned from a 6 night stay at Sands Turtle Beach. I spent a bit of time reviewing this resort from feedback on this site and was pleased not to take the negative comments seriously. I think this resort is great if you have kids - we took our 8 year old and she had a great time meeting new friends and was entertained for the entire stay.

The resort is big and I guess with most of these places not everyone is going to be happy with what they get, i'm sure that not all apartments were the same, but I have no complaints with the 3rd level, 2 bedroom unit we had. It was clean, tidy and gave us plenty of space - in actual fact I wish we were able to stay for longer as it was a great location.

As for the negative comments about supplies such as toilet paper, washing liquid, soap etc - aren't you expected to supply these sort of things when you book an apartment? If you go with a high expectation of porters carrying your bags to your room and your bed being made and towels changed daily then I think you need to reconsider your accommodation options.

I would have no hestitation in recommending this place to people with travelling with kids.

• Liked — Lush tropical grounds
2 Thank CocoNZ
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

date 7-10-08
We have just returned from spending 6 night's booked into the sands turtle beach resort . In one word excellent we could not fault any thing. On our arrival we found the girls at reception could not do enough for us very freindly, we were booked into a self contained unit on the ground level two bedrooms we found this to be very clean and very modern a joy to stay in.
We have two children aged 11 and 9 and spent most of their time in the pools which are situated through out the grounds, their favourite being the front pools as you enter via the front gates. we managed to use the barbecue facilities and found them to be very clean .
at night we visited the woodfire pizzeria for dinner and found the food wonderful . also visited the rainforest cafe on the grounds also food was excellent along with the staff so freindly .
the grounds are kept neat and tidy gives it a nice feel to the resort great to walk around and look . My 9 year old and hubby spent some time down in the games room which is situated in the car park down stairs my 9 year old loved it along with his dad
the sands has a bus stop right out the front so you can hop on and go where ever just a short walk and you are at the beach .
up and down the highway plenty of restaurants to choose from.
it's all at your finger tips , we had a wonderful time staying here and would recomend this to families . I know for certain we will return and stay at the sands turtle beach again
Kathy and Geoff. C.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank kathySydney
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

My family of 2 kids and 2 adults have just returned from our stay here.

Overall I would say the "resort" is okay. I don't think resort is really a good description of the property. As one previous poster said, there are no porters or room service of any type and that is what I would call a resort.

In any case we didn't expect that as we've stayed at other apartments on the Gold Coast before and are aware of supplying your own detergents, toilet paper etc.

We were staying with 2 other families and had requested to be near each other so were quite pleased that one of the families was staying right next door. Our apartment was larger than theirs and laid out nicely but the bad thing was it was right at the very front with the large front deck looking straight onto the main road. Before we took any bags up to the top floor from the basement carpark we returned to Reception to see if we could change our room but were told no. I asked the girl if it would be noisier there and she said "no noisier than any of the other apartments"!!!! Very untrue - I suggest if you book you specifically say that you DO NOT want to be at the front. No doubt they will say that they don't allocate apartments until a few days before so they can't promise that....

The actual apartment, distinct from the location of it, was actually very nice and very clean and comfortable. Except for the curtains which let the light in at around 5am every morning.

The pizza restaurant made great pizza... but didn't have coffee. Call me picky but if I go out for dinner it's nice to finish with one of the lovely cakes they have and a coffee. Hopefully they'll work that out but when someone said that to them (not from our group) they were told the cakes 'walk out the door' without having coffee. I suppose when there's no choice you just eat cake. For the record the Rainforest Cafe was lovely for brekky and had great coffee.

In summing up, I'm glad we had some great company 'cos I didn't get much sleep and it would've been much worse without good friends around. I very much doubt we will stay there again.

• Disliked — The location of our apartment
2 Thank Holiday_needed
melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

The Gold Coast Tourist Bureau recommended this property to us. I don't know why. We were told this was a very family friendly hotel, which was very important to us because we have a small baby.

Here are just a FEW of the problems with this place:
1. There was NO service at all. You have to pay for any additional amenities. There were only two towels in our room, but we had a baby. If I didn't complain, they would have made us pay for the extra towel I needed for the baby. Also, they did not bring the towel to our room, I had to get it from reception. If you wanted fresh linen, as the room is not serviced until after you leave, you had to pay for the extra linen. How ridiculous! You have to buy your own toilet paper, tissues, soaps, dishwasing liquids and powder as they would not supply anything.

There are no porters to help with your luggage. We have a baby with a pram and had to carry all our bags up flights of stairs. There are no lifts at this property at all. How can you call this suitable for families. If you book a room on the third floor you have to carry your luggage up three flights of stairs. It is terrible.

We wanted to have late check out, e.g up to 12pm, but to do so we would have had to pay an extra $50, even though no one was checking into our room after us that day.

2. I specifically asked for pools suitable for small babies when I sought advice from the Tourist Bureau. All the toddler pools at this place were freezing. We had to spend the whole time in the spa as all the other pools were too cold for the baby.

3. There were a number of things not working in our room, i.e, TV remote, air conditioner knob in the bedroom was broken and the air conditioner in the living area had not been set to cooling, it was still on the heater for winter, but it was 28 degrees outside!

4. The bed was very old, you could feel the springs, and there was no support. The pillows were very flat and worn out. The towels were old.

This was definitely not a 'Resort' and certainly not 4 1/2 stars, more like 2-3 stars. The only thing 41/2 stars about this property were the prices of the food at the cafes there and the accommodation prices.

We do not recommend this place to any family.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — No service
adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed at Turtle Beach resort for 6 nites recently. Whilst the resort grounds are very well maintained, the room we had was not so well maintained. There were plenty of pools, however, the toddler pools were rather cold and our two children could not swim in them. The spa was great and the deeper pool warm enough. The playgrounds were fantastic.The kids loved the putt putt golf throughout the resort, but it was a pity it was so expensive. The plants/grounds were very well kept. There was a lovely cafe, car park was great, lighting and security excellent. Convenience store on site was overpriced. The access to broadband was very overpriced.Our room was not so nice. It had a terrible musty/mouldy smell throughout which was really bad. We had to buy deodorises for our stay. The curtains in both bedrooms were covered in mould inside and out and the inside of the shower was mouldy. The floors needed a good clean and the unit itself was very dusty. It felt like no one had stayed there for sometime and the apartment needed a good spring clean and airing out.
We did not let this spoil our stay, but did feel a little disappointed.
The reception staff were mostly lovely, although they would not accept a $10 note from me because they didnt recognise it. It was one of the first $10 notes to be made. Whilst we understand they have to be wary, it made us feel like criminals. Overall we had a great stay on the gold coast.

• Liked — pools/grounds
  • Disliked — the unit was dirty.
2 Thank septadelaide
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,360 reviews
BreakFree Diamond Beach
BreakFree Diamond Beach
#6 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Turtle Beach Resort? Share your experiences!