“Great Mex”

Pickled Cactus Mexican & Bar
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Combining both Tex Mex and Mod Mex, fresh and tasty food, great staff and great ambience, a place for a family gathering, parties, a romantic night out, or a catch up with friends. Just let us know what the special occasion and we will do our best to ensure your night is special. New menu out now
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had chilli con carne and it was great. They have levels of heat that rises to extreme if you eat it its free. Well didnt do that but meal was very good. My only complaint is the internal lights are to bright, feels like being under a spotlight adn outside was to dark.
Service was good and staff friendly highly recommended
Its in a shopping center so decor is what you expect

1  Thank Tim J
pickledcactus4215, Owner at Pickled Cactus Mexican & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thanks for your great feedback. We have taken on board re bright lights and presume you may have been sitting in our side "party room"? We have changed the downlights to increase the ambiance and darken the room. Some say its too dark some say its too bright, hopefully we will get somewhere in the middle to keep most customers happy!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

A group of 7 dined here again last night.

I always tell people that this is still the best Mexican on the coast. That still holds true.

Its been a few months since we last visited. The menu is expanded and they now have a full drink license. Coronas were $24 a bucket of 6, so that was not bad for a restaurant. I forgot to look at the wine list (as I usually drink wine), but it was quite small from memory.

The new menu looks good, with a few "comb" options, and of course the staples in Aus/Mex food. The great thing about this place, is they don't smother everything in cheese.

We opted to try their very hot Chilli with "Y" sauce added. We all signed a disclaimer to be able to get it cooked for us. Apparently its not as hot as their El Diablo chilli challenge where you get it free if you eat it. However this was very very hot for us, and we like hot food. It got hotter the more you ate. Give it a try if you like REALLY hot food.

My Chimichanga was great, the lashings of salsa was piquant, but not too hot. Everyone else enjoyed their assortment of dishes, and the beers went down a treat.

We always love coming here. I think the prices have edged up a little bit since last time, but I also appreciate that its not cheap running a good restaurant these days. Happy to pay a but more if the quality stays the same.

Thanks you for taking the time out to log a great review. It is always a pleasure to serve. If you thought the Y sauce was hot, wait until you try our limited addition, Kamikaze!! An awesome customer provided us with a huge box of fresh locally grown chillies of all varieties which resulted in Kamikaze. Try it if you dare! Of note, we have actually decreased some of our prices as well as changing the menu slightly, just depends on what your choice is. Hope to see you again real soon along with all the guys! Roz

Reviewed March 15, 2013

1st time there was amazing, take away was disgusting. Service was horrible, lady was quickly frustrated for no reason. Both partner and I ordered no beans and both got beans. I ordered chicken chimichangas and got beef and they were horribley soggy. Only thing they got right was the side salad. Not what either of us expected after paying over $60 for our meal.
I definitely will not be returning anytime soon.

I am sorry you were not happy with your meals. Unfortunately a crispy fried Chimichanga doesn't stay that way for long and is always best eaten as soon as cooked and not left sitting waiting fr collection later than calculated. Maybe next time try something else that works better for takeaways such as Enchiladas, Burritos, Tijuana Temptation, Tostada El Supremo etc. We are happy to offer advice anytime. Unfortunately the waitress advised me she was dealing (by herself) with many customers at the same time as your order, both on the phone and in the restaurant, which can be difficult to correctly juggle. If you would like to return for a dine in experience, I am sure you would enjoy your freshly made chimichangas! Roz

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is just lovely, the staff go out of there way to welcome you and the food is divine, best Taco I have ever eaten, out goes the thought "its only tacos". A must do for family dining

1  Thank Kc-ace
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Not greasy like the fare normally served up at most Mexican places I've been to in Australia. Pickled Cactus dishes were filled with juicy salads and the only complaint I have for the place was the overly talkative pregnant waitress. I always bring people to this place and they always leave satisfied!

2  Thank Kintamasan