“Nothing special and overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pickled Cactus Mexican Restaurant

The Pickled Cactus Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Combining both Tex Mex and Mod Mex, fresh and tasty food, great staff and great ambience, a place for a family gathering, parties, a romantic night out, or a catch up with friends. Just let us know what the special occasion and we will do our best to ensure your night is special. New menu out now
Brisbane, Australia
“Nothing special and overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

The service we received was good to the most part but were a bit vacant towards end of the night.

The starter and main were tasty. But felt it could have been a bit cheaper.

The dessert chimichanga was ridiculously small I felt robbed. Was about 2 bites if that.

I got served a beer that was out of date. They did apologise and replace it though very promptly.

All in all was an alright experience would not rush back unless the prices were dropped

Gold Coast
“Tex Mex ain't me but this good food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

As a local, we have eaten as part of a group on a few occassions and they go out of their way with sombreos etc. to make the experience entertaining. I must admit that their calamarie was extremely good..

If you are a tex mex guru, I'm sure that the faire would rate highly. We have eaten here once as a couple but found the cost a little daunting.

Careful menu selection of food & wine should see an enjoyable experience but poor selection will ensure a bulging belly and thin wallet.

Visited September 2012
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“OK, not great. Need to give the microwave a miss.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have really tried to make this review to be factual and not a hatchet job, and we are always interested to hear about others experiences.

We've been to the Pickled Cactus before and the food was OK, hence us buying the voucher.

When we went there this time, we noticed some little things.

We heard the microwave going pretty much non stop while we were there, which is not a good sign.

The nachos were completely smothered in hot sauce and criss crossed with sour cream, not the way that we've traditionally had them. You have to pay extra for guacamole, which as a customer just grates. Guacamole is an ingredient of nachos. Don't charge extra for it, it just makes you look cheap!

We also ordered Chilli Con Carne which came in a bowl. Of course we could purchase corn chips to dip for an extra $3.50, which just grates too and makes the restaurant look cheap. The chille con carne was quite bland, spicy hot, but lacked actual flavour. Might be something to do with cooking the food fresh, freezing, and then reheating with a microwave?!?

The Rattlesnake Fries, were actually potato wedges. We were expecting curly fries, maybe covered in either some sort of seasoning, cheese, or chilli sauce. Call me old fashioned, but if you are serving potato wedges, why not just call them potato wedges????

So in summary:
Food was OK.
Serving 3/4 of a dish and charging extra for the rest...that's just cheap.
Decor - very good
Waitresses, quite friendly.

My wife and I both agreed while we were there, we’ve pretty much been there done that. Time for us to find a new Mexican Restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
Gold Coast
“One for the locals...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

My wife & I live in the adjoining suburb and tried this restaurant for the first time on Friday night (21/9). All the staff were attentive, efficient and friendly. The decor is good and it was well patronized so had some atmosphere...while not being too noisy. The menu is extensive and we enjoyed our meal. We shared the Fabulous Fajita Feast (for 2 people) for main. And for dessert my wife had the White Chocolate Parfait while I had the Mars Bar Chimichanga (which I highly recommend to any sweet tooths). This is great little restaurant for regular dining. We'll be back!

“Ok'ish”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was disappointed with the food and that was the overall feeling amongst the other 3 adults I was with, I had the chilli and it was like a microwave meal in all honesty, for $20 I expect better than something I could nuke at home. Overall I'd say avoid there are much better places to eat out there

• 1 of 5 bubbles