“Service great but food is not up to scratch for price”

Terraces Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 76 Restaurants in Main Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort welcomes you to the newly refurbished Terraces Restaurant for a stylish dining experience. Marvel at the stunning ocean views from the comfort of the restaurant during breakfast, lunch or dinner. Renowned on the Gold Coast for its mouthwatering seafood buffet, dining at Terraces Restaurant is an experience not to be missed. Expect a tantalising array of flavours, from the fresh local seafood featuring oysters, prawns, scallops, to traditional favourites such as roasts, soups and sumptuous desserts for true indulgence.
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband and I did the seafood buffet 1 night on our recent stay. It was mid week so the price was $79 per person. Weekend it is $89. The reservation staff were nice, but I don't think 3 staff sitting at the front entrance to the resturant are required to take bookings and payments. The table staff were lovely, did their job very well. Drinks ordered came out promptly.
Sadly the food is not up to scratch. 5 star hotel resturants cannot get away with all you can eat raw king prawns, and trays of oysters and then charge as much as they do for a 'buffet'. Travelers who are Also foodies want impressive options in a buffet offering, by this I mean dishes that are fresh, and complex enough to challenge their kitchen staff. To explain:
There were roast meats that looked fine, but seriously they could have been cooked by anyone of us at home in our own ovens. The roast vegetables likewise. No embellishments, they looked like grandma cooked them.
Oysters kilpatrick were on offer but beware they do not use real bacon, only 'bacon bits'. Not acceptable and ruled this option out for me.
Very small antipasto meats and condiments on offer, again you could do a similar display by going over to Coles deli and selecting wisely.
I had the chicken curry with rice, no deep flavours, nothing special.
There was only One pasta dish on offer which perplexed me, a red curry! seafood penne, that looked dry and the seafood mix was obviously a frozen pre-mixed variety.
Sweets about 8 cake choices which were the long slice variety, a small step up from Sara lee bulk cake trays, pavlova, crumble and help yourself gelato/ice-cream.
This buffet needs a new direction, as I said it needs to be providing offerings that excite the chefs and the patrons, using fresh foods with embellishments with deep flavours. I have been to the grand Hyatt buffet in Melbourne that does just that, so it is possible!
I feel that if you are not into shelling large amounts of king prawns and slurping a large amount of fresh oysters then you are sponsoring the gluttony of others that do by attending this buffet.

1  Thank Ana-Vessa

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I went there last night with my family and was very impressed with the ambience. There was plenty of cold seafood such as raw oysters, sashimi, spanner crabs and much more hot seafood. The hot roasts looked great but I was too full after eating the seafood :\

I did enjoy the salad bar selection but there wasn't too much choices for young kids (some pasta would've been nice but I guess it was a seafood night).

As for the desserts, nothing special. I wish there was more of a variety but they did have amazing gelato flavours such as Gingerbread, mint, cinnamon, vanilla and strawberry. Not much of a variety on fruit besides the fruit salad.

A great experience overall despite the high price. The beautiful view by the window facing the water whilst eating, made it worth it.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We went to Terraces just before Xmas as a family of 4. Having been to Bazaar at the QT hotel a couple of days earlier to which we were disappointed, we didn't know what to expect at Terraces. I can safely say that we enjoyed Terraces buffet more than the Bazaar.
It was a Saturday night and the restaurant was full which did mean quite a bit of waiting in queues at the food bars but this didn't deter. The wait staff were very quick despite it being very busy.
The hot food was delicious as were the salads and seafood. Not enough room left though to fully appreciate the desserts on offer though.
We would definitely go to the Terraces again and recommend the restaurant to friends and family.

1  Thank Julee64
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We and a bunch of our best "gal pals" had an early Christmas lunch there last week. Oh my God, it was fantastic! The seafood was as fresh and plentiful as you could wish for and the variety of foods provided on the buffet was wonderful. The desserts, including the yummy homemade icecream, are one of my favourites. They're all my favourites!

One of our girls is so picky (vegetarian, no eggs, little dairy, etc), that she often finds it hard to dine out, but this time her plate was loaded with goodies and she went back for more!

And don't get me started about the staff. I've dined out a fair bit in my life and I've never come up against restaurant staff with such unfailing cheerfulness, courtesy and a desire to help in every way. I've been coming here since it opened (a couple of owners ago) and it never changes. I think that sort of attitude comes from the top and filters through the whole company. (I've often thought "mean bosses, mean staff" and "kind bosses, kind staff").

Some of us dine here often as we've found that it's a place you can take your visitors where you can be guaranteed they'll enjoy themselves and rave about the wonderful meal. Everybody wins!

1  Thank Millie G
Reviewed November 25, 2013

sheraton please go to the Marriott and see how good buffets are done, for the price you are out of your league for sub standard food and cafe atmosphere. I expected more, since the resort is great.

2  Thank takeaholidayforonce