“Great whale watching”

Gold Coast Whale Watching Experience
Ranked #6 of 35 Tours in Main Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This is your opportunity to marvel at the majestic Humpback Whales in their natural environment with the stunning Gold Coast skyline glistening in the background. Take home unique memories that only Mother Nature can provide. You’ll have a whale of a time as the crew demystifies mating and migration, baleen and blowholes, flukes and fins. Oh my, what mighty pectorals they have!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Weather was perfect, crew on board were fabulous and very helpful with making sure that people saw the whales and took pictures. The boat is great for the whale watching and the crew were knowledgable and helpful. Thanks to Denise and Stefan for their help.
I will be back!

1  Thank Denise H

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Over the years I have been on many Whale Watch excursions.
This was tops due to the outstanding crew especially Denise with her great commentary.
Thought we might not have been heading out due to the terrible weather the past few days
but all of us on board said how fortunate to have had magic weather to make a magic day.
The whales did not let us down and we managed to track along side a nice sized pod.
A few nosy dolphins also kept us company for a while.
The boat supplies coffee, tea, water and biscuits but has a nice bar and souvenir set up for
DVDs, hats,photos etc and, a nice touch for those with queasy tummies, a supply of anti sea sickness tablets.
As a parting bonus from the boat and crew we were given discount vouchers for a return trip.
I shall be encouraging my friends to keep me company on the next trip out to sea.

Sun, whales,dolphins and a suntan to top off a great day .

Well done Spirit of Gold Coast for an exceptional day out.
Sept 18 Pete

3  Thank newyorkvisitor99
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was really looking forward to seeing the whales on their annual migration and while we definitely saw whales- I was very disappointed that the boat kept chasing the whales.
Whenever a whale was spotted, the boat would turn in the direction of the whale. If you didn't have a prime position at the front of the boat then you were lucky to get a glimpse. It wasn't easy to see the whales from inside the cabin, which was a pain because it rained on the day we went. Probably not the best boat for the best whale watching experience.
I was under the impression that boats had to be 100m away from the whales but this certainly wasn't always the case. I noticed other whale watch boats did the same thing.
I had expected to see a few whales while the boat was just floating, not having to hold on as the boat kept motoring towards the whales. The captain even recognised the protective behaviour of a mother humpback towards its baby by positioning itself between the baby and the boat by the third "catchup". Despite telling us about this behaviour it didn't deter her from continuing the chase for a little while longer.
We also saw dolphins while we were out as well.
My husband and I got half price tickets and took our 2 daughters who were under 4 so were free. It would have been quite expensive if we had to pay for all 4 of us.
The staff on board were very friendly and helpful. They also sting you at the end of the cruise by selling you the boarding picture they took before leaving with the option of extra whale pictures and the DVD that plays on the TV while we were out on the water. A very commercial operation, which I guess was expected.
I just wish it was a more relaxed experience for me and the whales!

1  Thank SharWyre
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Had a great day out. Felt the staff genuinely cared about giving us the best possible experience. The boat was at full capacity but we had no problems viewing. Our children (3, 6 and 8) really enjoyed the day.

2  Thank Jo9999
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The weather was great for an amazing whale watching experience. We were witness to a rarely seen event: two males were harassing a mother whale with a very young calf and we were told by the staff on the boat that the males were trying to drown the calf to bring the mum back into season again. The boat, on numerous occasions, tried to block the males coming near the mum and calf and managed to at least scare off one of the males, who gave up the chase and swam out to sea, leaving the mum to fend off the remaining male, giving her a better chance to protect her baby. The mother seemed to seek out our boat on various occasions, as if she felt by staying close to the boat, she and her young would be protected. It was an emotional experience seeing this drama being played out right before our eyes, but in the end we had to leave nature takes its course. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone visiting the Gold Coast. The trip was very well organised and the staff were friendly, thoughtful and truly engaged in what was happening on the water. What a brilliant experience, I would do it again!!

3  Thank Gypsymalu