“Taking the kids to Seaworld?”
Review of Sea World Resort

Sea World Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We visited as a family of four; three adults and a toddler. Our rooms were two superior (or similiar name) with an adjoining door, so the little one could sleep in peace. The rooms were quiet and comfortable, if a little tired. The beds were good.
One of the rooms was supposed to have a kitchenette but this was a kettle, fridge and microwave.
We were quite happy there but didn't hire a car - this was a mistake. The distance to Surfer's is quite a way by taxi or bus and so we were forced to eat there which was very expensive.
The outlook from our rooms was a sort of hedge and beyond that a bitumen area (not what you expect in Surfer's Paradise), however it was close to the pool area.
Our little grandaughter was over the moon with excitement when she discovered the 'big bucket' play area by the pool on day one. How disappointing on our following four days with the fun area roped off for maintenance - so if you're taking kids, insist on knowing if the area will be open every day. Also the kids' playground was disappointing by todays standards.
Seaworld is wonderful but there's lots little kids aren't allowed to do (from memory the height requirement was 120cm for most things), also we went to feed the dolphins one morning but due to her height the little one wasn't able to participate. This is fair enough but little kids get terribly disappointed so now you know in advance.
One more thing you may need to know is the beach is quite a trek to get to. Sorry, but I recommend you stay close to Cavill Avenue, in Surfer's Paradise. Take day trips to Seaworld and other attractions and have the beach, shops and eateries all at your doorstep - their are hundreds of places to choose from on the Gold Coast, many of them metres to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank venusbathstravel

Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed at this Resort for my birthday weekend because I was swimming with the dolphins the day after check in. Upon arriving at the Resort, my husband dropped me off at the set down area and went to park the car. The Concierge saw me and totally ignored me and I had all of our bags next to me that I could not manage alone. Check in was efficient other than the look I got when I asked why we had to pay for accommodation on check in when they had a mini bar etc, we might wanna use during the stay and pay in one go at the end. We had 2 Californian Burgers that night that took 1 1/2 hours to arrive and was cold and the cheese was disgusting. The TV was out of focus and the sound quality was poor.
2 Double beds for 1 couple is a bit strange. It was hard to even move during the night if we wanted to sleep next to each other.
Were given 2 towels only and 1 soap to share between the shower and the basin.
The man hole in the bathroom had screws in it that were very loose and could have fell off on someones head.
The air vent in the bathroom was so noisy even with the door shut at night it sounded like it was raining.
Other than the above, it was nice to be on the Seaworld side and hear the Seals and Dolphins making noises during the night, it was so cute.
Reception staff were very nice (except for check in) and very attentive. The Japanese Restaurant is TO DIE FOR!!! You have to try it! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schnukkies
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Everything from the waterpark to the games they give the kids is designed to make you stay there longer and spend more money. The water park and even the little water ammusment thing was not open until 1130 when you would be in the park. They gave my kids a game in which they win a prize if the complete it. It was just a cross sponsership thing in which it told the kids everything in the resort that they could spend more money on. The prize then was a icy pop that you could get from the cafe which did not open until 1130 and closed before 5. The water park and little ammusment play ground also did not open until 11:30. The ammusment thing only squirted water but a sign said that it did not open until a life guard was on duty. Yet they had a swimming pool open without a life guard. Check out was at 10:00. The rooms were no better than a Super 8 Motel and yet you paid 8 times as much. They did have really nice resturants that offered all you can eat so if you eat like a horse you might like this place, but then you wouldn't fit in the room. Also they try to scam you into thinking that you can only see the dolphins or seals if you stay there it is not so you can book through the park and get the same experience. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Ok I will start with what I liked.

I thought the room was fine new carpet clean except for one thing which I will mention later. Smallish but adequate. Had all the things you would expect of a hotel room.

I liked the kids water park which is part of the resort and I liked the easy access to Seaworld Theme Park.

Ok now what I did not like

Check in its very busy around 10ish because everyone has to check in to get there passes to go into the theme park which opens at 10am. Took half hour to check in and there where only two couples ahead of me. Should have had more service at the counter. There was a computer terminal not even being used and they could have had people in the lines answering questions so they would not spend a tone of time at the counter asking the check in staff stupid questions about the them park etc. Or maybe they should arange your tickets to the park without having to go through a full check in and you come back later after 2pm when the rooms are ready to do your check in. This way it would be staggered a bit as not everyone will come back from the theme park right on 2pm.

There was mould on the grout in the bathroom and on the ceiling.

There was a wedding on so they turned of the kids water park to have it stuff the rest of your customers. Why would you want your wedding ceremony that close to a kids park and a bunch of stranges in cossies I dont know but obviously some people do and this was a full on formal wedding not a casual affair.

Again because of the wedding they clossed the bar at the pool which meant you had to walk all the way up to the lobby in your swimmers to order drinks which you carried back down to the table on a tray and if you where lucky someone got the gate for you so you could actually get back in with your tray. Noticed that not many people where drinking after this happened at about 3pm.

In the morning the water park in the resort does not open until 11am and the theme park does not open until 10. So if you have young kids like mine who get up around 6am they will have to wait around 4-5 hours before they can enjoy the things that are meant to be there for them to enjoy. After all we would not want the kids water park waking up the people who kept us awake all night now would we.

But my biggest gripe. The wedding was less than 5 metres from our balcony. So we where treated with loud music, dj, crowds chearing etc until midnight which meant our family could not get any sleep I could not even hear the television which was less than 1 metre from the end of my bed. When I complained they gave us a free buffet breakfast which is fine but I cant understand why they did not have all the wedding guests located in that part of the resort and non wedding people like us with our young family in another part of the resort. Is that to much to ask. It was the wrost night I have ever had in a resort. I dont mind people having a wedding and I can understand that they want to have music but seriously dont put non wedding guests that close to it. Very annoying.

If this was not possible they at least could have given me the courteousy of telling me about the wedding which would be right near our room when I booked the room 3 days earlier so its not like I booked it months ago prior to the wedding being booked. They knew it was on they knew I was a guest with young kids but they either just did not think or did not give a damn.

I think the problem with this resort is they are trying to be all things to all people which is a fail. They are trying to atract the family market with the kids water park etc but then at the same time they are keeping you up all night and not providing anything for the kids in the morning when they get up.

Anyhow this experience put a fair bit of a damper on my 7th wedding anniversary and I wont be back. Next time I want to go to seaworld I will drive the 2 hours home afterwards and still get a longer nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LeaHatfield
Reviewed February 25, 2009

i two was nervous about reading the reviews leading up to our holiday,but we are a little open minded when it comes to holiday and travel.
in our package we stayed in the international room and we also had unlimited entry to seaworld.we travelled in the lower season in feb,and our rooms view was directly over the pool and looking out onto the broadwater.our room was great we had a bed and a hot shower all i need as when you are in queensland you tend to spend most of your time out doors.
room service was good and we ate inside the resort but having the car let us roam out to other locations to eat.
travel wise we drove so we had acsess to the car and where very flexible in where we could go....one tip i could offer is if you are flying to the gold coast defintly hire a car.
the weather was perfect during our stay

as for the resort this is a place for kids they will have a ball.if your here on your honey moon you have come to the wrong place.

pros
we travellled in feb out of s/h
room looked over the broadwater and pool area
pool area fantastic for kids
weather was perfect sunshine every day
we had our own car

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank helpmeneedholiday
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Will never ever ever stay here again! service was bad, when we arrived our room was not ready, we were told they would call us and to go swimming in the meantime or go over to seaworld. We strolled around for 3 hours...still no call. we went back and told our room was ready...yeah thanks for letting us know. Upon walking room the mildew smell was sooooo bad I almost vomited!!! It smelt like a gym room. It was so dirty and old. We had to crank the air con up to breathe. They said it was recently renovated, I like to see where! It definately looked and felt like public housing estate. We stayed for 2 nights and contemplated leaving upon arrival but we had already paid. The kids were so unhappy there and wanted to leave also. It put a real damper on our amazing 2 week hoilday we had prior to this. The swimming pools are not deep enough to swim and the food in restaurants are very expensive. If you wanna stay close to Seaworld I reccommend staying somehere else up the road.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank janeyperth
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Awesome! I've just come back from 3 nights at Sea World Resort with my husband, 7 and 6 year old children. The resort was perfect. I had read the reviews below and was nervous but can honestly say we can't wait to return to the resort. We stayed in a superior room (we booked last minute and couldn't get 2 rooms) but considering that we spent almost no time in the room, it was absolutely fine having the 4 of us share the room. We ate at the hotel for all 3 breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner. The buffet breakfasts were perfect for all of us and very well priced. ($24.50 for adults) The dinner we had in the award winning restaurant was superb. The biggest win was that the kids meals cost the equivalent of their age ($7 and $6) and the kids meals were great. The kids used the kids club on our last 2 evenings and were very sad that we couldn't stay longer. They loved it. Our last day we spent around the pool. The kids played non stop in the new water park and enjoyed the organised games in the pool. The staff we also really friendly. I do agree that the rooms could do with an upgrade, but to be quite honest they really are fine. We look forward to our next holiday there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
#5 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Sea World Resort? Share your experiences!