“Great resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Canberra, Australia
“Great resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights 4/5 March and couldnt be happier. Upon arrival we were offered a discount VIP pass for the theme parks and also received a 2 for 1 voucher in the restaurant.

Facilities for kids are great, Mr 2 had a great time in the kids pool and in the water park, the night time water show capped off a great day.

Access to sea world is via the resort, the convenience of being able to duck back to your room mid visit to sea world is worth the price of the resort alone and makes the trip with a little one so much easier.

Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Mattjoose,
Thank you for your post. It's great to hear that your family enjoyed their time at our Resort.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (958)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Cairns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at SeaWorld Resort for 2 nights in December, our room was clean and comfortable having everything we needed for our short stay. The ideal place to stay if you're going into Sea world! The back entrance and monorail help to avoid the huge crowds and the Dolphin discovery with photo opp. where excellent! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EWatchers
Dear Sealay,
It's great to know that you enjoyed the benefits of staying at Sea World Resort & Water Park when you came to visit Sea World. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Melbourne, Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at the Resort for 5 days on a Cudo voucher, 2 adults and 3 children. We had to add $200 to upgrade to a Deluxe Room, but upon arrival we were informed they upgraded us to a Premium room instead. Happy as larry I thanked the receptionist, and thought wow this is going to be a great place! To my surprise the "Premium" was due to the fact that it had just been refurbished and that it was close to the pools. Everything else was pretty standard, two queen beds, a little balcony, a well stocked mini fridge etc. The room number was 1022 on the ground floor (as per request) so that my kids could easily get to the pools.
Besides the little negative point above everything else was fantastic, the Resort is large with it's own water park (slides and all) spa, huge pool and many many sun chairs. Every night they had a water show that lasted around 10-15 mins, with music and lights, a lot of fun for the children.
The Sea World park next door was easily accessible on foot or monorail, which we visited twice.
We had the buffet breakfast once, it gets extremely busy (I'd hate to see what it's like during school holidays) so if you can get in there around 7:30am, otherwise you will be waiting for seats for an hour! We enjoyed the food and we had Omelettes cooked to our liking, many varieties to suit everyone, there were even 3 types of juices plus coffees and self serve frozen yoghurt you can put different toppings on.
For us it wasn't worth going back for a buffet breakfast as our children are still quite young and don't eat that much in the mornings, we preferred just cereals in our room.
We didn't eat in the resort restaurants, we were out most of the time and only came back just enough time for the kids to swim and play in the pools. The water park closes at 4pm each day and pools and spa closes at 9pm. By the time we finished with the theme parks it was time for dinner so we would stop at local restaurants before heading back to the resort.

I ordered a couple of cocktails at the bar, they were very nice, great service from the bar staff, always polite even when there were a couple of rude and impatient customers before me, they still managed to keep a smile and get on with their jobs.

I must mention that all the staff that I had contact with were awesome! The cleaner, the receptionists, the shop assistant, the waiters and waitresses, the animal adventure staff, even the driver of the monorail were really polite, helpful and easy to talk to. And the man that looks after the water show is a cracker! Also the staff at the kids club were amazing with the kids, very friendly and funny.

Overall it's a really great resort that caters for the whole family, I would definitely go back but not on full price to stay from $200 per night, in a standard room only. They do not allow cooking on their resort, there's not even a BBQ, they only have a mini fridge and a kettle (no toaster or microwave, you will have to pay extra).

Our voucher included tickets to three theme parks, 5 nights accommodation and half price meals for adults at their buffet restaurant for a family of 4 for $900 plus $200 to upgrade to deluxe queen (later premium queen).

They have free car parking and you will need your key to enter the gates. I had trouble many times with my key card and had to be replaced numerous times, especially the gate entrance.

We heard noises from the rooms above and beside us but didn't bother us at all, even the activities outside didn't affect our sleep.

Room Tip: If you can, stay close to the pools and on the ground floor especially if you have young kids. We ha...
1 Thank sealay2015
Dear Sealay,
Thank you for sharing your Sea World Resort experience with Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that all of our team members provided exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Charlestown, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from two nights (Saturday and Sunday) at the Sea World Resort. After checking in to the room I noticed a letter to the Valued Guest advising that the Resort Pool, Aqua Play and Spongebob Splash Bash area would be closed from 5.30 pm on Sunday 23 February for a private function. The letter went on to advise that the “special event” would take place from 6.30 pm to 9 pm, apologised for any inconvenience and invited the “Valued Guest” to contact the Duty Manager if you had any questions. I was far from impressed. Why were we not told at the time of making the reservation or at least when we checked in, that access to such facilities would be restricted?

I phoned and eventually spoke to the Duty Manager who (obviously) apologised but explained that I could still use the pool on Saturday afternoon and evening. I expressed my dissatisfaction as we had travelled from interstate to spend a weekend with family including playing in the pool with the grandkids. He must have thought I was stretching the truth as he said “but there are only two adults in that room”. I had to explain that the rest of the family was actually staying in another room at the resort. I was left with the distinct impression that he was not impressed with my telephone call. After much discussion he offered “two for the price of one” dinner but the offer was only available to “that” room. I did not take up the offer as we would only have to purchase one expensive meal to get the second.

After spending time at Sea World the family returned early Sunday afternoon to take advantage of the limited time available at the resort pool. Shortly after 3 pm I went to the pool and was met at the gate to the pool by a security officer who said it would be OK for me to enter the pool but I should stay in a particular area which was already heavily populated by other guests. I declined his “suggestion” and joined my daughter and son-in-law who were resting in the shade with each nursing a sleeping toddler. While I was in the pool a Sea World employee asked them to move, totally ignoring the fact that they were nursing sleeping children. Despite the fact that the area was supposed to be closed to guests from 5.30 pm, the setting up commenced around 3 pm causing substantial disruption to guests.

I gave in to the pressure to move with all the activity in the area and returned to our room (1023) which was adjacent to the path leading to the pool. For the next hour or so there was constant movement and rattling of tables and trolleys on the (uneven) path – just imagine the constant noise which was far greater than that which you would reasonably and normally expect from guests simply moving to and from the pool! Then there was the clean up later that night but I need not go into any further detail.

On checking out on Monday morning I asked the receptionist whether “private functions” were common and suggested that Sea World should be warning guests of the restrictions and disruption when they book or at least when they check in. She replied something along the lines “Not really but it was a special event, you know, like when a movie star comes”. Please!!!!. She also alleged that guests were advised when checking in. If that is correct there must have been a lot of guests who have poor memories or could not read as I saw many families pass our room on their way to the pool well after 5 pm. My daughter and son-in-law were not aware of the closure nor were some others we spoke to at the time.

Needless to say the receptionist apologised (used the word frequently) but like the Duty Manager did not really sound genuine. I could not help asking myself was the apology genuine! I intentionally did not ask for nor suggest, a reduction in the tariff to test the sincerity of the apology. All I was offered was a complaint card but I declined as I did not think the card would be big enough to tell the story.

On the up side:
• the room was very good but nothing more than I would expect for the price we paid,
• we had a very good lunch at a reasonable price in the lobby where the staff were extremely friendly (I cannot see them progressing to management – too customer focussed!),
• the receptionist agreed after minimal discussion to deduct the cost of a bottle of wine (which we did not actually have) from our account.

Will I be returning or recommending the resort to others? Not likely, unless of course you are a movie star!

Dear Brian G,
Thank you for your feedback. We do take every measure to inform guests of any changes to facilities that are out of the ordinary. We are sorry that this interfered with your stay and we do take your comments on board. Hopefully you will be able to return to the Resort in the future, please contact my office directly and will be able to ensure that you receive the usual standard of service and guest experience that we proudly offer.
Gisborne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our first visit to the Sea world resort for three nights and we booked a Deluxe spa suite as we also had two children aged 9 and 4. We found the room comfortable and had everything we needed to get by. There was a separate bedroom that had a king size bed that was very comfortable and the kids slept on a fold out double bed in the main room. There was plenty of room available to put things and the aircon in both rooms worked very well. Infact the aircon in our bedroom was really quiet. The room overall looked a little tired in some ways but is only to be expected but it did not retract from the overall comfortableness offered. We stayed on the top floor which we requested so that we did not have anyone above us as I had read that below rooms can be noisy from people above. Not that we had a lot to do with the staff at the resort when we did I found them pleasant and helpful. We had dinner in the main restaurant on one night and we found this to be very good (Italian night) and we couldn't complain about any of the food. The kids loved the desserts and the get your own soft serve ice-cream with toppings. The food was all served fresh and hot at all times. The other nights we went out to Hogs Breath Café which is just down the road and we also had dinner at the outback spectacular show which is highly recommended to see. We had a breakfast voucher and we had the buffet breakfast each morning which once again I would recommend. The kids also loved the breakfast where they could make their own pancakes in the machine and select from cereals, and a large selection of fruits, hot food, yoghurts, bread and pastries and cooked to order eggs etc. The kids loved the pool play area and were always wanting to go back for more. We spent a lot of time in the sea world park next door and it was great to have the easy access from the resort where we stayed. All in all I was very satisfied with the experience and the kids loved it for sure. I think for a family holiday and a fun time it is a great place and understand that the place is what it is, families with children. The resort is a big complex and whilst I was there I thought that if you visited during school holiday periods that the place would probably have too many people making it possibly less fun. We visited off peak and I think the resort (without really knowing) might have been about 50 - 60% full which was just about right. The only negative thing I can pick which wears you down a bit is that nothing is for free and they hit you up for everything they can, but it all comes down to the individual I guess on how much you let them do that. As we saw in the breakfast service one morning a woman making sandwiches for her children for their lunch that day and packing fruit, a cheap way to do it if you don't get caught.

Room Tip: select a top story room for quietness. I wouldn't go during school holiday period as I think it...
1 Thank Dean H
Dear Dean H,
Thank you for sharing your family experience at the Resort. It is great to hear about how much you all enjoyed your time with us. I will ensure that the rest of the team hear your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Blue Mountains, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed on the Cudo deal and were amazed at the service of the staff. We stayed in a deluxe room on the third floor were the view over the pool and water was the main feature. The room is a little run down, but quite comfortable. The main problem was the taps in the room are very hard to adjust and a bit worn.
The Japanese restaurant is exceptional and we had one of the best Japanese meals we have had.
We only had dinner in the buffet restaurant as the breakfast was always packed, even after the school holidays. The breakfast in the café was great, though they do not start until around 8.30am, so it is difficult if you are booked for events or adventures. The best value was the seafood buffet, with plenty of fresh seafood and even excellent desserts. A seafood chowder for the soup would have been preferable to the tomato soup, but this is a very minor point.
The staff are the main feature of the resort. From the concierge desk, to reception, the tour desk and restaurants, as well as housekeeping, they were all EXCEPTIONAL. Nothing was too much of a problem. There were a number of children even though the school holidays were finished.
A number of the parents seem to be in their own world, and just let the children run wild. This makes it hard for other guests as well as the staff. Yet the staff always are courteous and helpful, always with a smile. A special mention is due to Jackson, who continually assisted us and even came to where we were doing Trainer for a Day, to check that all was going well!
The only drawback was the very hot walk outside to the main gate to do the early start for Trainer for a Day. But this ensured we enjoyed the experience even more!

Room Tip: We paid extra for a deluxe garden view room. This was well worth paying the extra due to the top flo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gone2Dogs
Dear OlddogNelsonBay,
It is wonderful to hear that all of our team members were exceptional throughout the Resort. I will also thank Jackson personally for the service he provided.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have stayed at Sea world resort a few times over the last 6 years and have previously enjoyed what I considered a family resort which provided a relaxing holiday for the parents and a fun time for the kids. BUT it has gone downhill and the service Is now very poor. I have noticed the resort has started offering Cudo deals and I think they have dropped the service standard to reflect the price some guests are paying. I did not stay on a cudo deal and paid a high price to stay over the Christmas period. We stayed in one of the refurbished queen view rooms. The new timber floors are much nicer, but the bathroom is still the older marble tiles and a little tired.
The disappointing parts of our stay included poorly cleaned rooms, one day room not made up at all. We rang housekeeping at 6pm to advise them. Oh, we must have missed your room, would you like clean towels? On our first night we realised that double bed sheets had been put on our queen bed and the sheets didn't even reach the foot of the bed. Whilst we bought his to the attention of the housekeeping office our bed was short sheeted again during our stay. You just get sick of complaining after a while and wonder how they cannot notice the sheet is 30cm short of the mattress. There is nowhere in the rooms to hang 4 towels yet the room is sold for 4 people, and definitely nowhere to hang 4 wet pairs of swimmer. Only 3 coat hangers, and only 2 glasses in the room. We had to ring housekeeping and see if they could find us a clothes rack to hang the wet swimmers on and we had to ask for more coat hangers. Some old wire ones were bought for us. There was a foul smell from the bathroom drain. We complained 5 times and kept asking if they could leave some air freshener. They plugged an item into the power point to apparently fix it but we advised it didn't fix the problem and still no air freshener. The ironing board kept collapsing whilst we were trying to iron, which is a real safety hazard as one day the hot iron went flying down with it.
Lining up for 20 minutes at reception to ask a question or get a room key fixed is not ok. We waited for tables at the lobby bar as they won't take bookings, only to see people who arrived well after us given tables in front of us. Just no systems and the staff quite rude, I went up to the bar and asked if we could order after being seated for 15 minutes and no one come near us, I was told to take a seat and wait, they will come and take the orders at the table! I can understand that the staff are upset, they were really busy and clearly didn’t have enough staff. But it is even more frustrating for guets who have paid good money to stay there. We spent half of our time at the hotel, waiting and queuing.
On Christmas day we dined at the Shoreline and paid $160 each for lunch. We waited over 20 minutes to receive our first drinks. The seafood and roast was lovely but you had to line up 10 to 15 minutes to get to each buffet station so a lot of our lunch was spent standing in queues. There was insufficient Christmas pudding and custard. It was all gone before we even went to look what was for dessert. The breakfast in the shoreline was very poor. Bacon was steamed, very fatty and soggy along with poor tea towel hygiene used by the breakfast chef cooking the eggs. And one toaster is not sufficient for 200 people attempting to get some toast with their breakfast. There is no tea or coffee service at the table so once again a queue at the coffee machines, even if you just want a tea you need to line up as no other option for the hot water. Safe to say it was impossible to get a hot meal, buy the time you get to use the toaster the eggs you lined up for are cold or vice versa.
There is no service around the pool anymore, you need to go and order and you are given a buzzer to collect your food and drinks. There were dirty trays of half-finished food and empty drink cups sat there all day. And whilst nearly all the sun loungers had a towel on them no one seemed to be using them.
I know it was peak time, but then the resort should be staffed like peak times. The attitude it's the busy time you just have to wait isn't good enough. A no surprise I had to line up at reception for 25 minutes to pay my bill. For the money you pay to stay hear you can definitely do better, it was really disappointing. The only upside was the easy access to sea world.

Room Tip: If you have kids the ground floor pool side rooms are noisy but convenient. Don't expect to be a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LisaW112
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Lisa W112,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay with us over the Christmas period. It’s disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy this visit as much as in previous years. In regards to your mention of Cudo, these rates are very comparable to the rates paid with various other options in the marketplace such as our own Privilege Card etc. that have been offered for many years and we would certainly not let anything affect our high level of customer service for any of our guests. Our Housekeeping Manager apologises for the shortcomings in service from her department and will certainly be addressing the team.
Overall we had great feedback in regards to our Christmas Lunch, please accept my apologies that you did not feel the same way. Lisa, we were extremely busy in the Resort during the time that you stayed and inevitably there will be some delays but this should never impact a guest’s enjoyment of their holiday, we never wish for anyone to leave disappointed. Please contact us directly when you wish to return and my Assistant can arrange this for you personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Main Beach
Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Paradise Resort Gold Coast
#14 of 33 in Surfers Paradise
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,360 reviews

Been to Sea World Resort? Share your experiences!