“Very disappointing stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Very disappointing stay”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

As a Starwood member, my husband and I tend to choose Starwood range of hotels/resorts over others. When we visited the Gold Coast, we decided to spend two nights at Sheraton Mirage, due to it's location, being part of the starwood brand and knowing that we would leave there happy and relaxed as we have on most stays with a starwood hotel. But we were wrong, very wrong.
The hotel was fully booked via the Sheraton website, and after searching for a while, I found one last room & breakfast deal on Agoda. I booked it instantly and requested a king side bed with ocean or resort view.

When we arrived we were overwhelmed with the sheer beauty of the resort. It was well set out, the door man and car attendants all were very pleasant - not that we expected any less for the amount we paid.
I proceeded to check in counter while my hubby went exploring around the lobby & restaurants.
I waited for over 10 minutes for the front desk staff to acknowledge & help me.
As I approached, I smiled at the checkin staff member (male), and he smiled back, but that was the last smile I got out of him. As soon as he saw I booked through Agoda his mood changed.
He gave us a room with two double beds, I mentioned we didn't need two beds and that I requested a King size bed. He said, quote 'Well when you don't book through Sheraton and book through these sorts of sights you're not guaranteed anything. You should've booked through Sheraton and I would've taken care of you'. I was shocked at his rudeness. Why offer deals to third party sites if you are not going to honour them or if you are going to treat your guests like third class citizens.
He then showed me where our room was on the map, it was a room facing their tennis courts. I then mentioned that I requested ocean or resort view and showed him on my booking receipt but he said he couldn't do anything since I didn't book through sheraton.
By this stage hubby had heard what was going and and asked if we could get a better room. The staff member said if we paid $30 extra a night we could, so we decided to go check out both rooms.
While a porter was taking us to see our original room, he got a call from the staff member saying that he was only allowed to show us one room and that was the upgraded room. Not our original room. I found that quite strange.
He showed us the room and it was a basic room with 2 double beds. The porter looked a little puzzled and asked us why we requested 2 double beds, and I informed him that we requested a king bed, not this. He told us that there were plenty of king bed rooms available and rang the check in staff member. Who then responded that there weren't any rooms and the porter apologised to us.
We returned to the check in desk and I told the check in staff member that I wasn't paying $30 extra a night for the same type of room. So we took the original room we were offered. Boy am I glad we didn't pay that extra $30, as the room was exactly the same as our room.
He offered to give us some chocolates as a welcome and we accepted them since we do not drink and the champagne on offer wouldn't suit us. BUT we never received those chocolates and there was no record of him ever offering that to us so every time we asked for them, people looked at us funny.
Later that evening I went online to check room availability and was shocked to see that there were many king bed rooms available, we were just not offered them. I was really peed off and didn't want to give them a single extra penny.
The swimming pool was extremely cold. They thermostat claims the water in the pool was 31 degrees. But it was probably around 20 degrees. It was colder than the ocean water.
The pool towel staff were very nice, the pool bar staff were quite rude. I asked for a menu and received it after he asked another customer if they would like something, and after they ordered.
Once I got the menu and saw the extremely high prices I gave the menu back and said I wasn't ordering anything. The bar staff muttered something under his breath and left.
We didn't bother eating at the resort, we ate out in surfers paradise.
It was a shame the resort didn't offer shuttle bus or service to surfers paradise. When I asked the non-friendly concierge, he said there was a bus outside that I could catch. Or pay a taxi $35. and he left after saying that. He was very rude.
The next morning we went to the restaurant for a buffet breakfast, the breakfast staff pulled out a book and stared at us, I said 'hi'. He just stared at me. I said 'we would like to eat breakfast'. He said 'what room', crossed it off the list and took us to a table.
The buffet breakfast was amazing. We ate till our tummies hurt! But beware, first coffee is free, next one costs you $5.50. $5.50 for a coffee!!! what a rip off.
We chose to do the 'green room' thing and not have the room service staff clean our room or take our towels for the environment, however, we never got the $15 resort voucher on offer. Just like we never got our chocolates.

On our second day I wanted to book tickets to dreamworld. I was told the concierge can help with that and we'd get $10 off for booking with the hotel. After waiting 30 mins for the concierge we left to look online, then hubby noticed the concierge walk in and we went to speak to him. Once again no smile, short responses and not really helpful. There was no discount either, infact he charged us the same price we would've paid at the gates.

Overall the Sheraton is a beautiful resort, not much to do there though. Staff really need to work on their friendliness and attitude. Rooms are nice, kept up with the sheraton standard.
Pillows & beds are amazing, best sleep we had all trip. Car parking is also free.
Not much to do there, food is really expensive, Marina mirage is really expensive.

There was a conference on at our last day there, my husband asked the breakfast staff member if there was a conference on and what it was, the staff member simply replied 'yes I do believe there is a conference being hosted today.' What a strange response. It was obvious that there was one, he just wanted to know what it was - striking up small talk with him. But that was our response and he walked off after that.

But very disappointed with the crap service, the rudeness and the lies we were told. At all starwood hotels we've stayed at we were recognised as members at check in. Here we weren't and when I told him I was a member, he asked for ID and my starwood card then he said 'oh you are too.' We also have had invitations to High Tea at every starwood resort we've stayed at, here we didn't receive anything. Not even a friendly smile. But in saying that, the car attendants were very friendly and always had a smile on their faces.
Over all I am appalled at the crap service and have told everyone I know not to go there. For the price we paid, we deserved better service.

Room Tip: Book through Sheraton, otherwise you are treated badly
3 Thank Nuzakat
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Recent Guest

Thank you for staying with us here at Sheraton Mirage and for sharing your insights and experience via this review. And also for your support of Starwood which is truly valued and appreciated by us all.

We are glad you thought our resort was beautiful, and that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding, and were proud to note that the latter provided you with the best sleep of your trip.

I was both surprised and perplexed however to read of the majority of your interactions with our team members as the attitudes as outlined are completely out of character, and indeed are the complete opposite of our service culture which is to extend warm, personal and professional service in the welcoming and care of our guests and patrons. It would be appreciated if you could make contact with my office so we can undertake an immediate follow up with our Rooms Division and Food & Beverage Managers. Please reach out to my Executive Assistant, Sharon Hartridge, on 07 5591 0873 with more detail on your stay which will enable us to facilitate a full investigation of your experience.

For the moment we thank you for the time and trouble you have taken to post in such detail on your visit, and extend sincere apologies and deep regret that on this occasion you did not experience true Sheraton Mirage hospitality.

Warm regards
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed 7 nights in a Spa Suite, travelling as a family of four (two children under 10 years of age). We found the overall experience to be high quality and very convenient all round.

The room size was excellent for a small family, nicely refurbished although the colours weren't to our taste (we liked the dated pastels of the sister property at Port Douglas). These were darker colours, more reflective of modern display home style interiors. Clean and well serviced on a daily basis. There was no sign of stinginess you see in other hotels, even 5 star. For example, toiletries were well stocked on a daily basis - no half bottles, good enough approach here. Little things are noticeable and add up.

Staff were very pleasant and the entire check-in/out process was effortless. Billing information can be tracked in real time through the in room television. We made three special requests in relation to our room, in our original booking. South wing (for proximity to the fitness centre), orientated for afternoon sun and not facing Sea World Drive. We got the first two, however I'm not sure they could have done more with the room arrangements. Sleep was a little disrupted at times with doors banging and some road noise, but the hotel were exceptionally responsive in meeting any request we made in relation to the bedding.

The resort location for us was incredible. It's adequately distant from the congested Surfers area, yet close enough for short trips in and right on the superb stretch of beach (patrolled directly out front). The gardens are lovely and a short walk over the skywalk bridge takes you into Marina Mirage shopping centre and Marine Cove. There are plenty of eating options (highly recommend China Pier, the Tavern, the Sushi bar and Hog's Breath). McDonalds is also there.

Car parking was free in the underground car park. Once again this was extremely well designed and located for ease of transit into the hotel. We found pricing to be variable. We made a few booking attempts through the hotel and were repeatedly told there were no vacancies. We ultimately found a discounted option through Sunlover Holidays, so shop around. Food prices were generally representative of this class of hotel. Buffet Breakfast at around $90 for our family, $28 for a club sandwich at the pool side café, $13 for tennis and $20 for scheduled fitness classes at the adjacent fitness centre (Golden Door). We ate mainly across the road, although used the pool café for convenience and the product was well presented and served.

We used the fitness centre, tennis courts and beach extensively as part of our stay. This would be one of the better resort options in the area for the fitness fanatic. The Golden Door Gym is well set-up and a multi lane 25m pool is available, both complimentary for guests. Towels are issued aswell. The beach access is incredible for an 8km return run to Surfers, with fitness stations along the top path. A quick dive in the hotel pool as you re-enter the resort and you'll feel a million bucks!

Just on the pool, it is superbly designed with the pool bar attached. There are many deck chairs available, however the pool size may be a problem in peak periods. Unlike its sister at Port Douglas, the network of lagoons around the resort are shallow and not usable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Narelle S
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Recent Guest

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent family holiday on the Gold Coast.

We are delighted you enjoyed your Sheraton Mirage experience, and really appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to write such a detailed and insightful review which gives such a comprehensive overview of our facilities and services.

Our team looks forward to your return when you are next planning a break by the beach here in South East Queensland.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Wow... what a wonderful experience we have just had at this beautiful resort. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel valued and assured of an enjoyable stay, with the facility being immaculately presented, the staff attentive yet unobtrusive and the first time ever a bed that offered the best nights sleep ! This will always be our go to holiday escape from now on . Thank-you Sheraton Mirage, you surpassed our expectations.

Dear Sue

Your wonderful review delighted us no end…thank you! It was our pleasure to welcome and look after you, and we are so pleased you enjoyed our renowned Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding and that overall your expectations of your visit were surpassed…that is such a huge compliment for us all.

Looking forward to seeing you both again when you are next in need of a holiday escape down to the Coast. For the moment…thank you for choosing to write your first TripAdvisor review on your experience here at Sheraton Mirage.

Nowra, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have stayed here on several occasions and it has never failed to please us every time. From the beautiful comfortable beds to the "to die for food" it is a must for everyone to experience. The staff are so friendly and can not do enough for you. Its the resort holiday you experience overseas without the long distance travel. You have the best of both worlds with the location in close proximity to other activities to keep the whole family happy. We needed a relaxing break and were not disappointed. Can't wait to return

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Sue,

We’re delighted you posted your first TripAdvisor review on your latest stay here at Sheraton Mirage.

Your continuing support is so appreciated, and we are glad this visit was another really relaxing and enjoyable one.

We can’t wait for you to return either!

With warm wishes
Mark and the Sheraton Mirage Team
South Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and all have been great. The pool is the best on the coast with swim up bar but my favourite was the buffet. We had lunch on a Saturday which is open from 12 to 3:30 and we nearly did the whole time. Great seafood selection , roasts, cheeses and deserts. The room was a garden suite with a spa very clean and comfortable. This is also one of the few holes actually on the beach with no roads to cross. A good tip is to not be to close to lifts or ocean as its quite loud in those rooms.

Room Tip: Check last minute web deals can be good
1 Thank Tim J
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi Tim

Thanks for returning to us earlier this month, and for this review on your latest experience here at Sheraton Mirage.

Our Food & Beverage team were proud to read your comments on our Terraces Buffet…..such an integral and very popular feature of our resort since opening day (21 September 1987!)…..and we are so pleased you continue to enjoy all the delights on offer.

We look forward with pleasure to welcoming you back when you are next headed to the beautiful Gold Coast.

Warmly
La Habra, California, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The location is great literally a bridge to the Marina Mirage! The hotel lobby is nice and pretty and so were the rooms. Clean but after dinner one night, there were ants everywhere in the room. The manager on duty was nice and helped us get rid of them. The room service menu is nice and abundant! Food is decent, but expensive. The breakfast buffet is good but expensive. Just a heads up for Americans, the bacon is different in Australia! It's like ham, cooked ham, not thinly sliced like here at home.Staff was nice. The only thing that sucked was the gym was only open during certain hours not like a normal hotel that is open 5am to 11 pm or so.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paige F
Hi Paige

Thank you for staying with us with your family last month.

We appreciate you choosing Sheraton Mirage for your visit to the beautiful Gold Coast, and for the time you have taken to post a review on your experience. We’re sorry though that you had that issue with ants and glad our Manager on Duty was quick to assist and remove.

Hoping to have the opportunity of welcoming you all back if you return to Australia in the future.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a couple of times at the Sheraton prior to the major renovations/refurbishment. The change has been for the better... The rooms are spacious, light, clean & luxurious. The service is always pleasant & the amenities, inclusive of the pool, bar & restaurant are a must (the seafood buffet is our favourite). You cannot find a better located beachfront hotel in Surfers paradise. A wonderful Gold Coast getaway!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mooseloves2travel
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Senior Contributor

We are very pleased you enjoyed the results of our resort refurbishment when you stayed with us again back in July. Thank you so much for returning, and for taking the time share your impressions via this recent review.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you back…hopefully soon!

Warm wishes
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Southport

Been to Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast? Share your experiences!