“Things are now brighter”

Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Sydney
“Things are now brighter”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Mirage has certainty lifted it's game. I have been there countless times over the years and the last vist using the word disappointment would be a compliment.

The new management has settled in and the service all round is definitely one of the best in Australia. We stayed over the Xmas new year period. Plenty of staff, great service from the minute stepped out of the car. Even the room was often serviced twice during the day.

Booking a room plus breakfast package is the best option

Room Tip: Ocean view / king room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruce I
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for returning with your family over the Festive Season, and for taking the time to post so positively on your experience.

We appreciate your continuing and most valued support; and to have our service described as “one of the best in Australia” is simply wonderful. I am sharing your comments with all Associates and I know they will share my delight at such high praise.

Wishing you and your family a fabulous 2013.

Warmly
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have been very proud to be a part of the Starwood Hotels, staying in Sydney, Noosa and overseas especially the Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, as we have dined there regularly, stayed regularly, had Xmas and NYE regularly also a wedding. So one would think that this well deserved 2 days stay over NYE period would be just as terrific as always. Now I can not fault the staff, they are all exceptional and never a truer word has been spoken. However, check-in was a disaster (even when you are a Gold member), and had requested a particular room, only to be informed that I could not have the room I requested as I had not paid enough. Okay, no one told me I had to pay extra, when I spoke/redeemed my points from Starwood Corporate Office. The Duty Manager (Thomas and Alice), struggled to find another room, which they did. Not what we wanted but it sufficed. When entering the room, all was well, until we open the curtains and took a look at the small balcony area which over looked the lagoon. There were weeds growing in the small garden on the balcony and the lagoon looked like it needed a damn good scrub it was horrid. The bottom of the lagoon really does need to be attended to, as do the weeds.

My husband and I then ventured outside, the hotel was full and all and sundry were having fun romping around the pool, so we sat had something to eat, which was average to say the least.
It is a non smoking property. We also get that and yes we are smokers. It is OUR choice so be it. However when inquiring about the smoking areas, we were pointed either to the front entrance of the hotel or the exit on to the beach. Now I get it, we don't smoke in our home either, but to be shoved into a poky little corner, with no shade from the heat nor protection from the rain at the front entrance, we decided to see what the beach exit was about. It was strangely hypocritical when we exited the beach gate, to notice a group of disgruntled guests, pointing to where the ashtray was placed, which was up against the fence which you could lean on this fence - oh such luxury, you had to as we were all fighting for shade under shabby tree, it was so hot. However, still the smoke was going into the property. Hmmmm, no respect was shown, no seating, no shade and made to feel like second class citizens. Poky corner or hot beach, my gosh wonderful choices.

Now I know a few of you will be think 'good riddance to smokers', but it is our choice, we know the ramifications. So please no nasty replies.

After to listening to many unhappy and unappreciated guests, its no wonder this property is loosing supposedly loyal or new guests,who either have the money or have saved their money to relax and enjoy their holiday as they see fit, however I had been advised by reception staff, they are aware they are loosing guests but hey who cares! The Reception staff cop a lot of abuse as do the Concierge (wonderful helpful guys especially Geede); but surely Starwood Hotels could have some respect and designate a more respectable area for the smokers.

So for all you smokers out there, and I know there are still a few, think carefully. It has saddened me to write this review, very much indeed I held my head up high for Starwood Hotels, however my days with Sheraton Mirage are over. I hope some one in the property takes heed of my suggestion, but alas I fear it will fall on deaf ears.

The property excels in every other way.

Room Tip: The wing with 1047 is the where the lagoon is disgraceful and weeds growing every where, other than...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank see paradisetra... a
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Contributor

Thank you for staying with us again and for the time you have taken to post a TripAdvisor review.

Whilst I can confirm the correct room type was originally allocated for you - being a standard room which are located on levels 2 and 3 or the resort – for this most recent stay, I am delighted Thomas and Alice were ultimately able to change this allocation and upgrade you without cost to your preferred ground level Lagoon Room.

Not so positively, we do regret the condition of the garden outside of your accommodation. Completely unacceptable, and our Chief Engineer has already followed up with our Gardeners to remedy; I’m pleased to advise also that the lagoons are scheduled for sealing and repainting as soon as our occupancy permits.

With regards your feedback on our hotel being smoke free, I have been pleased to respond to this directly, and via Reviews on our hotel website.

Thanking you again for the time you have taken to post, and for your loyal support of Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Warm wishes
Umina Beach, NSW
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton Mirage was the first 5 star resort I stayed in as a child, and it has always been a dream to return with my own kids. The dream is over.

I stayed at over 40 hotels last year and have never experienced such pompous check in staff. The view on entry is breathtaking, but is not worth the expense. The room we had was full of flying critters I think are a new species (maybe cashius overthetopii?)

The site is great if you want some distance from Surfers but the boutique vibe of the only shops for miles around is only likely to suit CUBs (cashed up Bogans). Seems you still can't buy style.

We've done both the Mirage and the Versace but won't be back to either.

My advice is to use your cash for a stay at the QT, for twice as long. Happy travels!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank TheLoudAustralians
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear TA Contributor

Thank you for choosing to return to Sheraton Mirage for your visit to the Gold Coast last month. Whilst we were all naturally disappointed to know you will not be returning, we appreciate your feedback, and the time you have taken to post on your experience.

Wishing you all the very best for 2013 and beyond.

Warm regards
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday night room wasn't ready when we checked in at 3pm . No balcony, unimpressive bathroom and very ordinary room. At $380 without breakfast I will stick to Versace in future a much more 5 star experience

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan M
Dear Susan

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Mirage for your weekend visit to the Coast last month. We appreciate also the time you have taken to post on your experience, and are very sorry for the delay you encountered in checking into your accommodation. This is most unusual, but completely unacceptable when our guaranteed check in time is 3.00pm. Our sincere apologies for this less than positive start to your Saturday night stay.

Wishing you enjoyable future stays here on the Gold Coast, and all the best for 2013 from our resort team.

Warmly
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this place was perfect. The view, the proximity to the beach, the size of the rooms and the service of the staff. Wish we had stayed here longer. We asked for an ocean view and were truly given an ocean few.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Contributor

Thank you for staying with us here at Sheraton Mirage, and for taking the time to post on your experience. We all loved your review.

Please return for a longer stay next time….and in the meantime, Happy New Year from our resort team!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Staying at the Sheraton Mirage has become a regular treat for me as I live closeby in Brisbane. I love the consistency of this resort. I always know what to expect. Friendly warm staff by the pool who take the effort to use my name, cheery welcoming staff on the reception desk, professional and warm service in the restaurant, outstanding food, amazing rooms no matter where I stay in the resort, management who take the time to help with my stay. Why would I stay anywhere else? I couldn't recommend this resort highly enough. My home away from home. Thank you to all the staff who have made my new year start off in the best possible way. See you all soon!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Karen

Happy New Year! And thank you for another wonderful post. We so appreciate your positive comments on our resort, and we were all delighted to have you back with us once again. Your comment about starting your new year off in the best way possible was......the best!

Warmest wishes from all of our team,
Shanghai, China
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Actually I will check out tmr morning but cannot wait to comment on TA.

Our 4- night stay in Sheraton mirage is an extremely joyful experience. From the time we stepped in to the lobby, seeing the wonderful view from the window, I knew I made them right decision to stay here.

Hotel locates in a good place of GC on main beach, connecting to Marina Mirage which is a mall of fashion and dining, watch your wallet then, I bough a lot there... All staff are kind and attentive, they smile always. There are enough seats around the pool, of course some of which are in better location but anyway, you don't have to get up early only for a seat...(which I did last year in Sheraton Maui ;) hah hah) the room is clean and well renovated, bed is very comfortable. I didn't have chance to try their restaurant, while there are always full of people, should be nice.

It is only 5-mins walk to sea world, and if you'd like to some other theme parks, simply tell the concierge and they would argue it including bus service, good!

Be a SPG member, I'm happy to see my another good feeling with them.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Lynette

Thank you for your wonderful post on your Holiday Season stay here at Sheraton Mirage. To read descriptions of “heaven in GC” and “extremely joyful experience” has been the best way to start off the New Year for all of us here at the resort, and we are delighted you had such an enjoyable time as it truly was our pleasure to be of service.

Many thanks again for your post, and your support of Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Please come back and see us again before too long.

With warm appreciation
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Southport

Been to Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast? Share your experiences!