“The Best Holiday Ever”
Review of Palazzo Versace

Palazzo Versace
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Reviewed January 23, 2007

The Versace is an amazing hotel there is no doubt about it - but what makes it even more amazing is the service - top notch.

Its a hotel which is a class apart from anything out there in the Gold Coast - nothing even comes close.

The only thing Ill have to say against the hotel is that the regular rooms are a bit too small - so if you can afford it get a superior suite - cause for two people it might get too cramped.

I shifted into a suite after 3 days of arriving cause the hotel was fully booked - the suite was just beautiful.

So great was this hotel that we actually cancelled our trip to melbourne and decided to stay an extra 4 days just enjoyng the hotel.

The food is unbelievable - both the Vie and Vanitas restaurants serve exquisite food and the breakfast buffet at the Il Barocco is also fab.

Shopping at Marina Mirage is good but if you really want you can take a 20 min cab ride to Pacific Fair which is an open air shopping mall which houses everything and has cinemas as well.

The beach is just a 5 min walk away and trust me though the sheraton mirage is right on the beach it just cant compare to the Versace.

The pool is fantastic - it is huge and clean and the best place to spend the day when the sun is out.

In my opinion the Versace is probably one of the best holiday hotels in the world - there is no doubt - if you are deciding where to go chose this place - its awesome.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TheTravellingFunGuy

Reviewed January 23, 2007

This would have to be one of the most superb places we have ever stayed. From arrival to check out everything was just perfect.
Our room had an understated elegance so typical of the Versace brand. Everything has the Versace stamp on it. The furniture, the linen, the cushions, the porcelian, the bathroom products etc. there is even an oil burner for use. I have tried to buy the same oil but just can't seem to find it. The palazzo Versace experience is not like any other. You feel very special and pampered. Our buffet breakfast was wonderful, the choices many and replenished regularly. The staff are all very attentive and friendly. Our room had a European balcony which means just an ornate rail looking to a view- of the gold coast and the pool with gardens.Our King size bed was absolutely huge. The rooms are serviced daily and then "turned down" at night.
The entrance to the Versace is filled with orchid stems during the day and tea light candles at night. Floral arrangements of proteas are stunning. The Hotel restaurants, well worth a visit, are are also very special offering excellent cuisine. Our only hiccoup to an otherwise perfect stay was the frosted bathroom doors- which we are unaccustomed too. On checkout you can book a complimentery guest room to freshen up in prior to departure for the airport. Every element of our stay at this Hotel was fabulous we left feeling very tranquil and special. Definitely will return again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JenbyJen
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We had booked at the Sheraton Mirage across the road for our ten day holiday but as soon as we arrived we knew it wasn't for us. Tack-city. The rooms and the whole complex were very dated. The staff were pleasant but you were not made to feel special at all. We checked out straight away and managed to get ten nights across the road at Palazzo Versace. (The difference in cost $320 vs. $560 per night but overall a difference of $2400 which in the scheme of things is well worth paying the extra!).

Palazzo Versace was fantastic. The service is outstanding and there is always a staff member ready to help you with anything. They were all lovely. The spa was exceptional service - the best facial I have ever had. The room and dining areas, lobby etc are all beautifully presented. The atmosphere is first class. The food at all the restaurants was great. Whether you wanted fine dining or a meal in your room they were delicious and prompt and always hot! Even room service! The great thing was four restaurants within the complex itself and after a long day of sunbathing we never felt like going far. Marina Mirage shopping mall next door has a few good restaurants too which are less than a five minute walk away.

The pool was exactly what we needed. The pool was beautifully manitained and the girls were always offering lemonades or sandwiches, very helpful. The sun was hot and there were loads of different area's beside the pool so you never had to be too close to strangers.

If you love shopping like myself I suggest you put all your money into staying at Palazzo as the only worthwhile shopping in Surfers in the Marina Mirage (Louis Vuitton and designer boutiques that stock all the NZ and Aus labels like Lisa Ho, Karen Walker etc) right next door to Palazzo. There was also a small shopping vicinity that was relatively new in town and was great but that was it. The other shopping options in Surfers were chain stores that all offered a version of the same thing. Loads of surf shops but again if you have seen one, you have seen them all!

You should do what we did and catch the train to Brisbane one day, very easy and very comfortable and only about $30 each. It drops you a block from the main Brisbane shopping centre so you can go to the big department stores. That was great. In particular the Louis Vuitton store there had a huge range. The train was only about an hour and we got to go to the likes of Cue, Sass and Bide, David Jones, Myers, Lisa Ho, Witchery etc which Surfers doesn't have.

Stay at the Versace - it is worth every cent! Lots of celeb spotting as well. We are saving for our next stay there!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank MissJoanna
Reviewed November 28, 2006

We spent 4 nights at Palazzo Versace and had an amazing time. We were absolutely delighted that we chose this hotel.

We arrived into Brisbane Airport early morning so consequently, we got to the hotel before the allotted check in time. The woman at the check in desk was most helpful though and although we had to leave our cases whilst we grabbed a coffee at Marina Mirage until the room was ready, it was done a lot quicker than we expected.

The room it goes without saying, was absolutely gorgeous. It wasn't as over the top as I was expecting and although the Versace logo was on EVERYTHING, it wasn't done in too much of an oppressive manner. We had a Lagoon View room which gave us a beautiful view of the pool and some of the marina beyond. The facilities were what you'd expect- bathrobe and slippers, bottled water, safe, iron and board, free local newspaper etc as well as some delightful Versace toiletries. The turndown service in the evenings was thoughful with chocolates and a leaflet with the next day's expected weather forecast, local events etc which I thought was a nice touch. The bathroom was fabulous, particularly the spa bath. The only downside to the bathroom is that there is no door or dividing wall between the bathroom and bedroom areas so if you are sharing a room, it had better be with someone you know very well!!

We ate several times in the hotel, mainly in Il Barocco. We had breakfast every day there which had a good selection of food as well as dining there once for the seafood buffet which was superb. We also ate once at Vie which we loved. The food and views of the marina were lovely and the staff were terrific- what I would call 'human'.

The staff overall were all very good, particularly in the restaurants although I was pleased to find that the staff in the Versace boutique weren't snobby and stuck up as I feared they would be. We also booked some transportation and purchased tickets from the concierge who was very helpful.

The location of the hotel was very good. It was a couple of miles away from Surfers Paradise so not right in the melee of the town, within comfortable walking distance to Sea World and a short drive of 15 mins or so to the likes of Warner Bros. Movie World and Wet and Wild parks. The fact that Marina Mirage was just next door to the hotel I found to be very beneficial for shopping and casual meals.

The atmosphere in the hotel I found to be a lot relaxed than I was expecting. I was quite concerned that it would just be a hotel for beautiful people but that was definitely not the case. There were people of all ages and all styles from the Versace worshipper to tourists, to families with children. Certainly Palazzo Versace has its doors open to everyone, even celebrities which we found out on returning from a day out and bumping into Bono from U2 in the entrance to the hotel as the band were staying there for a concert in Brisbane. So keep your eyes open- you never know who you might see!

The reason why I can't give this hotel 5 out of 5 (and it actually pains me to do so) is because of an ongoing dispute we have with the hotel. On the morning we were checking out, we found a bill pushed under our door which we expected to find just listing the transport and tickets we had purchased from the concierge. However, the bill was also for 4 nights accommodation and breakfast. As the stay had been prepaid a considerable amount of time ago, we went straight down to the front desk to get the bill rectified. After much rummaging through drawers and cupboards, they eventually found the correct paperwork and took the incorrect charges off with an apology. We had no reason to think that it hadn't there would be any further problems until we got home to find that my husband's credit card had been charged for nearly £1000 for charges that the hotel had agreed were incorrect, over a week after we had left. As it stands, we are still waiting for our money to be refunded.

I wouldn't let this neccessarily be an off-putting reason not to stay at this hotel as it is absolutely gorgeous and you will feel like royalty for your entire stay. I would however, let it be a cautionary tale to always check your room bills and make sure if your room is prepaid, that the front desk know it!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank TravelFan_01
Reviewed November 13, 2006

A simply decandent weekend....

From the minute we checked in, to the day we left, service was faultless, the surroundings beautiful and the memory everlasting.

I actually expected a gawdy and "over the top" venue, but I was greeted with palasial surroundings that were luxurious and welcoming. The rooms were extremely comfortable and the bathrooms are simply amazing. Complimentary toiletries and even the Versace Slippers....many thanx Versace.

We stayed poolside all weekend and was lucky to spot a celebrity or two. The hospilitality by the pool was friendly and prices reasonable. We also dined in at Vie Restaurant and the experience was faultless.

Highlights you ask??? Being treated like royality with genuine smiles, the silky sheets, incredibly comfortable beds, lagoon side rooms, the breakfast each morning and I really believe I received my money's worth....in fact, i didn't question the cost at all.

Bravo Versace....i can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank BusinessClass3
Reviewed November 7, 2006

Well I hate to boast but I was lucky enough to WIN this in a compeition! This means that I didn't have huge demanding expectations and I was going to love it no matter what. We got one of the cheaper rooms that overlooked the marina village. the room was sumptuous and lovely with all the free toiletries and versace decor etc. Unfortunately this room location meant it was very noisy in the weekend with live (bad) music coming from the bluefire boat so make sure you ask not to get a room on that wing. This was the only negative thing really. The staff were very friendly in a genuine aussie sort of way - not formal and not fake. We ate the breakfast buffet every day which was superb. Got a room service burger one night which was surprisingly very good price and value for money. Rest of time we ate out. You MUST go to Peters fish and chips next door and get prawn cutlets and calamari and take them for a picnic on the spit. yum yum they were SO good. Then walk across the spit to the surf beach which is awesome. If you are under 25 go to Fishos on Mariners Cove in the evening - it goes off big time! We were amazed (but alas way too old to enjoy). I suggest hiring a fizz boat for 2 hours ($90) buying a picnic and grabbing some bubbly and go around the waterways at sunset. Back to hotel: the pool area is just lovely. would have loved to have spent more time lounging about but we had a lot to cram in to 3 days. We are real normal poor-ish kiwis and thought we would be very out of place at the palazzo but for every Donatella type there wasan aussie in boardies so don't worry. If I had the money I probably would stay at the Sheraton rather than the Palazzo simply because its more my taste but I loved it nonetheless and it is definitely the best hotel I will ever get to stay in!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jhgfhsdg
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Well my husband booked this as a surprise for my 30th b'day and what a great treat this was! As we arrived the valet took our car and bags from us - the bags were then delivered to our room even before we could get there!

The check in was very smooth and the girl was lovely and friendly - in a genuine way, not an over the top american style insincere way!

The lobby is quite spectacular, a huge chandalier hangs over the most sumptuous and colourful furniture. It's a busy lobby but there's certainly room for everyone. In the evening it is transformed by lots of tealights and dimmed lighting, very atmospheric. We had a few drinks here and were surprised that the prices were fairly reasonable, considering we were in a 6 stsar hotel.

The lobby also overlooks the rather splendid pool - a 65 meter heated pool complete with mini beach. There are plenty of sun loungers around the pool, and I loved the 'water stastion', with various different flavours of water. It's very clever how they have also managed to conceal the little food kiosk and the toilets - it's the tiny little touches like that which make this hotel so magical! The pool staff were great, there whenever you needed them, friendly. The funniest thing we saw was somehow a duck and seven ducklings had come into the hotel and were swimming round the swimming pool like mad things!

Anyway, so the pool was great, all the communal areas were spotless. Loved the understated elegance of the staff uniforms - black versace with scarves for the girls.

The room. Wow! Huge bed! Huge jacuzzi bath! Lovely toiletries, including some Versace perfume and aftershave. Had some chocolates waiting for me from the staff to say happy b'day! The fabrics were luxurious, everything was so 'posh' but so comfortable too. Good view over the pool. And no noise at all.

We ate in 'Vie' a brasserie style restaurant attached to the hotel. To start we had an anitpasti selecction - with the most gorgeous gormet titbits of food. And some beautiful pinot gris, as recommended by the waiter. And I had steak, husband had salmon for main course. Delicious! Again, not too expensive, considering the class of hotel.

I don't know what else to say, could continue gushing about this hotel forever. All I would like to say is how excellent it is and what an amazing time we had. I would recommend this most highly!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 7 in Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Southport
Meriton Suites Broadbeach

Been to Palazzo Versace? Share your experiences!