“The Worst” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Newcastle, Australia
“The Worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

First of all let me start by saying I once rated the Versace as my number 1 hotel out of all hotels I've stayed in the world. After last week it quickly changed.
From check in - I was advised that it would cost me $30 for valet, I thought it was a bit expensive so did it myself, I can live with that. I asked to leave my car out the front for a couple of minutes while I check in, the guy gave me some attitude and advised how busy they can be, I had 2 young children with me and I wanted to get them into the room ASAP. So he agreed to let me leave the car ( for a couple of minutes )

A brief summary - Our microwave and port a cot weren't in the room when we checked in, we had no power in our room, our rooms didn't get made up until after 4pm the next day, I had been wearing a singlet the entire time as its hot and most of my time was spent by the pool, on my third day I was refused breakfast as I was wearing a singlet, it hadn't been an issue for the first 2 days but the lady on a power trip felt the need to be quiet rude to me. I should mention we were the only people at breakfast as it was 6:30 am. I left and went to McDonalds. I understand a dress code but tell me politetly on check in not on my last day in front of my family.

The breakfast was average at best, the delivery of food if it wasn't forgotten in the first place took over 45 minutes. On checkin out I asked the bell boy to help me with my bags, he did so although made me feel bad about it, he pushed the trolley to my car and put all my bags on the ground and walked back to the hotel leaving me to pack the car myself.

Versace has 5 star prices with 2 star service, the staff treat customers like they are inferior. I've been staying at Versace for a few years, my family stay there and some friends stay, I will not return and I've advised friends and family not to waste the money.

Dont waste your money, the rooms are dated and small, the service has dropped significantly. The Versace is no longer the superior hotel of choice, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank Dave S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Firstly we arrived to this wonderful hotel to be welcomed back, each and everytime we arrive to this wonderful hotel we are greeted warmly by the amazing team at Versace.There are many hotels in Australia but their is only one Versace hotel,the leader of them all. The hotel facilities for our stay has everything you need for a luxurious amazing holiday.The food and service each time we dine is exceptional,the staff go out of their way to make you feel special.We have been to this hotel several times through the year but what we are most impressed with is it's consistency and generous warmth each staff member has to offer.Service begins with a smile and every staff member we have dealt with always greets us with a smile and go the extra mile to make sure you have a fabulous stay each time.Versace team have become a part of our holiday life and always make us feel welcome.Rob&Rosie Powell

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Rosie and Rob

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for Palazzo Versace- It is greatly appreciated!

It is always incredibly special to hear from/and welcome back our return guests (our extended Versace family)- and to hear that each stay is as memorable as the last, as this is what helps makes our jobs so rewarding.

Rosie & Rob, we look forward to seeing you both many more times in 2014 and beyond.

Warm Regards

Leah Rasmussen
Guest Relations Manager
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Amazing hotel. But for the amount I spent I was expecting more.. Food was ordinary. Need more variety for sure. The cost is high due to its brand value not the service or the hotel itself. Service was awesome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Aix-en-Provence, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

It's been a dream of mine to stay here for a few years- so booked in for husband's birthday, he flying from London and me in from NYC-- Husbands plane was delayed by a day so here began the nightmare... although our stay was fully pre-paid I was not allowed to check in before coming up with $500 cash or equivalent (H had our corporate card and I did not want hold to be taken on debit cards). Unlike the Four Seasons Sydney where staff are genuinely helpful and there to please, many of Versace staff act as if you are infringing their privacy to be in the place. Anyway, once in the room; WIFI as promised was NOT complimentary (beware the websites that clearly say it is in this property!) It even still says this in their in-room compendium & they will not honour it!) and after paying, it was intermittent then slow to use, disappearing completely for hours on end, we even changed rooms for this, and with help from a manager towards the end of our stay, we finally go some continuity happening, by then I had missed some vital work information. Breakfast buffet was dull and a bunfight to get eggs cooked personally. Spa facilities tiny and room amenities over perfumed! Nice deep bath. Please understand: I love to do things fancy and elegant but this just felt like living in a Barbie doll's house, picture-perfect yet nothing genuine or comfortable about it. Don't put yourself through it if feeling relaxed and looked after is your aim.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank IslandAmber
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is a very beautiful place. But for the money, we would have expected more. Service and food is OK. I have had better. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. I will highlight that their beds are some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. Would I go back? Maybe.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Palazzo Versace earlier and we have to admit that although we really enjoyed our stay our overall experience was not quite what we were expecting. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are specious but are starting to look a bit tired, the technologic appliances in the room are vintage 2004, the services was ok but the staff didn't go the extra mile as you would expect from a five star luxury hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Christian R

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your you stay at Palazzo Versace.

I am happy to announce that since your review in May, we have refurbished most of our rooms and updated much of our equipment - and I'm sure you would be delighted with the results.

Regarding your service experience, I was disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion and I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay further to better understand what areas you felt we could improve in.

I can be reached via email at grm@palazzoversace.com.au.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards

Leah Rasmussen
Guest Relations Manager
Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Whilst the room we had was wonderful, had everything we needed, clean and tidy and the hotel was lovely, we felt that for a 5 star (self rated 6 star) there was a lot lacking on the service side that would have been unacceptable for even a 2 star hotel.
On saying this, we had a memorable time and would go back.
Check in was slow and the reception desks weren't obviously the reception area. 2 receptionists on with about 6 groups waiting. Receptionists were polite and helpful, but on checking in and checking out they seemed to not know the process or what was happening so had to keep going out the back to check things. We stayed 4 nights and each night the bar staff ranged from being rude/moody to slow and acting like they just didn't want to be there.
Breakfast each morning had everything and more that we could want, but the coffee would take at least 30 minutes to come out and on 2 mornings just didn't arrive even though we asked a couple of times.
4 of us had the Cabana package which was terrific, $140 included wine and other things plus the food menu was resonably priced for pool service, good staff out there and a wonderful experience which we will be back for.
Room service was SLOW and one night didn't turn up at all.
Paper in the morning was forgotten once.
We had a suite at $500 a night that was well set up, had everything we needed and good value Compendium in the room would have been great.

Room Tip: Get the suite with seperate sitting area if you are staying a few nights to get the full feel of the...