“Never again”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Sydney, Australia
“Never again”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was supposed to be a special break for my birthday. I booked through an agent (still $450 a night) but called the hotel direct beforehand to ask for a quiet room away from lifts and roads as I'm a very light sleeper. On arrival, I was allocated a room right next to a lift! I asked to be moved which they did....but to a room 15 fet away from a main road! Really noisy. Later in the stay, after many appeals to the front desk, I speak with the Assistant Manager who tells me in the superior rooms, you either get noise from the road, trawlers or the rubbish bins from the Marina Mirage!! There are no superior rooms without significant noise according to the Asst Manager. Get offered a bottle of sparkling wine to help me sleep!

Next day, I uncovered the pool situation. Impossible to get a sun bed after 7.30am unless you pay $50 and even then the majority of beds are in the shade for most of the day. Really tightly packed together too - think sardines, think Benidorm.

However, second day, through lack of sleep during the night, I decide to invest $50 in a Cabana. Booked and confirmed at the front desk. However, next day, turn up only to be told that it wasn't booked after all after a computer fault. Offered more wine ( they seem to offer you alcohol every time you complain - they just don't seem to get that you don't want to get drunk, you just want what you ordered and paid for)

As compensation for the total mess up on rooms and cabana, they offer to clear any extras on my room bill - $200 according to the manager as according to the system, I have allegedly ordered a bottle of Moët whilst sitting talking to him! I tell him he's got that wrong and later he confirms that they had allocated the $152 bill to room 152 in error (see other comments on incorrect charging)

Other bad points - wardrobe 8 inches wide and totally inadequate, no mirror in room, room never made up until past 5pm, no change of sheets, walls thin, too few power points, no wifi in rooms. If this is a 5 star hotel, I'll eat my sun hat! Check in and check out lengthy waits.

Good points - comfy bed and good buffet breakfast.

I have stayed at hotels in many countries but never paid so much for so little, Sheraton Mirage across the road is so much better and cheaper. Staff appear to realise just how lousy the place is and all they do is offer you alcohol to try and forget the whole nasty experience.

I really would recommend those who value comfort and value, rather than just being plied with booze, to go somewhere else. Versace Palazzo is a hotel trading on a name only not service or quality.

Ruined my holiday, my birthday and actually did drive me to tears on the Sunday the whole experience was so terrible.

Never again

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jackie S
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Jackie S

I am very sorry that your recent stay at Palazzo Versace was not the stay that you imagined it would be.

At Palazzo Versace we try to look after our guests as best we can and consistently deliver 5* service. We know that there are high expectations when you choose to stay with us, and we know that the smallest of details can impact a guest’s stay.

I understand that you had requested a quiet room prior to arrival, and our staff had tried to allocate one accordingly. As this was not to your liking we organised another option for you which was one of the quietest rooms we had available in the room category that you had booked.
I apologise if you felt that we were offering you a bottle of champagne to compensate for the ‘bad’ room you received. This was certainly not our intention; we were simply hoping to offer you something special to celebrate your birthday with.

Regarding your experience with booking one of our cabana’s, we do accept full responsibility for the mistake made due to an unforeseen technical issue that we encountered. As it was a magical day on the Gold Coast our pool area was very busy, however as we had made the error we quickly coordinated 2 sun beds that were arranged together and then affixed an umbrella for you and your partner to enjoy.
We understand that this may not have been what you originally requested but we had hoped that you would understand that we truly did wish to make your day special.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Me and my wife had 3 days to get away and Palazzo Versace meant our expectations in all areas especially dining. The dining and restaurant Vie next to the marina was outstanding especially along with a great selection of wines. The staff were excellent and very caring about making sure your trip was there to be enjoyed. The bedding in the rooms were flawless and for 3 nights we had the best sleep in years thank you versace.

Room Tip: High floors are good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luba-bj
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear luba-bj

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review regarding your recent stay and letting us know how much you enjoyed your dining experience at Vie Restaurant and how rested you felt after your visit.

I do hope that you return soon for more Versace experiences!

Brisbane
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Mihir in the restaurant always looks after us, and the food is always beautiful. Have stayed twice, once in suite and once in lagoon room and I definitely recommend staying in the Lagoon room, the view itself will make you feel like you're in the middle of the Caribbean. Was a birthday celebration, and we got a little bottle of versace perfume as a gift - a cute surprise. I would definitely stay again for a special occasion.

Room Tip: stay in the lagoon room! has a much better view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank the_travelling_twin
PVGC, Guest Relations Agent at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear the_travelling_twin

We are absolutely delighted to hear you enjoyed your birthday celebration here with us at Palazzo Versace.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Kind Regards

Kayla-Jane Mooney
Guest Relations Agent
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen. If this is not the best hotel in Australia then I encourage you to find me one that is. Certainly, with the critics and classers it makes the grade. 6 stars with them. For me though, this establishment is more than just the exquisite rooms, the serene, personalised divine setting; it's more about what the little things were the Versace got right. Contrary to some views the staff are some of the best in Aus. These people have to pass rigourous quality control and it shows. There is no task to big or too menail and they go about their business with soul and decorum. There is mopre nice stuff too like the simply extraordinary attention to detail that they undertake. Their constant fussing over you is incredible. The breakfast to is good. You can ask the chef's for a personalised omelette and they will hapilly oblige. I thought going to a 6 star hotel would be like owning a Rolls Royce. Beautiful but a bit too clinical and I am very happy to say that I was wrong. This place has soul by the spadefulls. Anyone who says otherwise is not aprreciating the true beauty of the place.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great here so there's no real 'better room'. A room facing the pool...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hyperspace_175
Dear hyperspace_175

I like your description of your stay at Palazzo Versace - Epic! What a great title!

Hearing you that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you believe we are one of the best hotels in Australia is very heartwarming and rewarding. We believe that at Palazzo Versace we offer the ultimate in luxury and superior customer service, and we are often perceived as being one of the only 6* hotel's in Australia.

hyperspace_175, we hope to see you return soon!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I spoiled ourselves with and indulgent weekend here.This was our second stay at the hotel and it exceeded all our expectations. The atmosphere is quite elengant yet relaxed and very likeable.The food was glorious at Vie and the buffet breakfast was amongst the best I have ever had anywhere in the world.We also sat at the Le Jardin Bar one night and had a couple of drinks - highly recommend to try Mai Tai; Hana (our waitress) was very friendly and professional as you expect in a five star hotel and made our night wonderful.
Overall,this hotel is expensive yes but worth every dollar. I want the best and I can only experience that from Palazzo Versace.

So if your looking to chill and enjoy now you know the place!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul U
Dear Paul U

Thank you for your wonderful review and for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Palazzo Versace.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Finally a hotel in South East Queensland that welcomes dogs! We've been waiting a long time to spoil our little girl even more than normal, and even though we only stayed one night, we all loved it. She was welcomed by staff from the moment we arrived, and well looked after in the room too with a futon for sleeping, crystal bowls for water and food (all Versace branded of course) and a food treat. It was a long walk though the maze-like corridors to get outside, but we managed that. Restaurants/bars and pool area are off limits to dogs, but we knew that in advance so it wasn't an issue for us. It's an expensive resort, but we thought is was great fun...

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear sdc69

I am delighted to hear that you and your gorgeous puppy Mrs Flanagan enjoyed our increasingly popular pooch package!

With a dedicated room available for our furry friends, a drool worthy doggie treat menu and all the Versace trimmings - it is a truly special package.

Now there is no need to leave man's best friend home alone.

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there over the long weekend. A nice place with all round good service.

The good:
1. Rooms are clean and welcoming with that Versace style.
2. Cabanas are awesome. Spend a whole relaxing day by the pool (make sure you book in advance @ $50 for the whole day it is worth it).
3. Buffet breakfast has a wide selection.
4. Complimentary parking (the drive way is tucked away just after the main entrance).

The bad:
1. Next to the door there is a knob that you turn to notify staff "do not disturb" / "Clean the room". It is small and easily missed. If you don't set to "Clean the room", they won't. But no one tells you this when you arrive.
2. No complimentary water. It's a small ask for a 5 star hotel at the rates that they are asking for.
3. Rooms aren't soundproofed as you can hear neighbours coming in and out of their rooms (ours was close to the lifts so not great).

Overall none of the bad things would stop us from revisiting.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear L E

Thank you for choosing Palazzo Versace for your recent stay on the Gold Coast.

At Palazzo Versace we take pride in offering the ultimate in luxury and providing comfortable and clean rooms, a spectacular pool setting and a delicious variety of menu options.

Complimentary parking is included, and valet parking can arranged at a discounted price prior to arrival. Our rooms are serviced and replenished daily unless privacy is requested.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Main Beach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
Meriton Serviced Apartments Southport
Meriton Serviced Apartments - Broadbeach

Been to Palazzo Versace? Share your experiences!