“A 3 day escape”

Palazzo Versace
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
“A 3 day escape”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a 3 day stay at Versace which was very last minute and opportunistic. Although our room was not as good as the last time we stayed, it was booked at the last minute and therefore perhaps to be expected. We found the hotel completely up to the expectations of a 5 star resort and have nothing but praise for the staff. We were met with friendly faces, helpful attitudes and a particular thank you to Jasmin in Restaurant Vie who was a delight. The weather was disappointing but this was completely made up for by the Versace experience. Will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: The building is a semi circle and the rooms on the corner are designed to fit an awkward space. Up...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Sharyn T

It was an absolute pleasure to read your Trip Advisor review.
It was wonderful to see that you found the staff and service all exceptional during your stay.
In particular, thank you for your kind comments on Jasmin in Vie.
We very much hope that the weather is better when you join us next.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had been looking forward to this hotel as part of our 5 week holiday to australia. It was to be one of the highlights, unfortunately it ended up being one of the biggest disappointments. The hotel just feels tacky and not classy at all. Its like a 3 star hotel with some pretentious policies which they seem to think makes it upmarket. The decor is outdated and shabby, lots of fake gold fixtures, and cheap wooden furniture. You have to sign for the towels by the pool and return them and sign again or else they charge you $185. Dont know why anyone would want to keep those tacky black towels anyway? The beds in the room were old and worn. The matresses were pretty thin and the bedding seemed like it had seen better days. Silly policies such as no singlets / vest tops for men at breakfast were just nonsense, and even the staff seemed a bit embarrased enforcing some of the ridiculous policies. This hotel has seen better days, and i wouldnt bother recommending it to anyone. Save your money and try the Marriott in Surfers Paradise, or the Sheraton Mirage across the road from Versace.

The one saving grace for this hotel were some of the staff we encountered. You could tell they knew the policies were nonsense and they did as much as they could to make our stay comfortable. Had we not pre paid for this hotel we likely would have checked out early and gone somewhere else that was more relaxing and not as needlessly stuck up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank liesureman2013
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Liesureman2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to see that you really enjoyed the service and welcoming for your buffet breakfast in Il Barocco. Yes Gina is fabulous and great at wowing our guests, it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the service Gina delivered.
It is very unfortunate that the dress code has offended you. Although we are a leisure destination we do follow a dress code and apply this to ensure a certain standard is maintained. Whilst you were here to relax, casual beach and swimwear is not permitted in the restaurants. I do apologise if the dress code has offended you in anyway as this is certainly not our intent.
We would love to have the opportunity to reengineer your Palazzo Versace experience and hope that you can join us again for your next Gold Coast holiday. Please contact me directly if I can assist in anyway.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Hubby and I stayed for one night as a joint birthday treat. We were upgraded which was great. Spent the day relaxing in a cabana drinking wine then had the tasting menu for dinner in the gourmet restaurant, a bit of a splurge but worth it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Kate M
Thank you for your review.
I am glad that you both enjoyed your special treat for your birthdays. It is great that you had the opportunity to relax & unwind on a cabana around the lagoon area during your stay.
It was a pleasure to read that you really went wild for your birthday dinner in Vanitas and enjoyed all of the tasting dishes along with the amazing breakfast selection in Il Barocco.
We hope to have you join us for your next special occasion.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Even though this hotel has changed ownership recently it still provides a great luxury getaway.
This is the 3rd time we have stayed at the Versace & the 1st time since the change of ownership.
The 2 biggest differences were that valet parking is no longer included in the price but at an extra $30 per day.
The complimentary Versace fragrances are also gone. Other than that nothing must has changed. It still has very spacious rooms, great buffet breakfast & an excellent pool area.
Since the hotel is in Main Beach it is quiet at night which is great for a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: If you want a good view you need to upgrade to a Lagoon Room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear jdelor
Still Great! Thank you very much for the great review.
It was great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the buffet breakfast in Il Barocco and the lagoon area was excellent.
The charge for valet parking was introduced nearly 12 months ago and we are one of the last 5 star hotels on the Gold Coast to introduce a valet parking charge.
We can’t wait to have you here for your fourth visit.
melbourne
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I went with this hotel over others because I like over the top hotel. Although its has the name, and kind of looks it's, it leaves much to be desired. The pool was small and average. The pool at the Marriott in surfers is much better and more fun. It isn't near any obvious beach access, and so me and my wife were bored! The food was expencive and average. The rooms and the service was the highlight of the stay. Clean, with a spa and cable tv. The bed was fantastic. The view was not great, but wasn't bad either. We were recommend this hotel by a friend who loved it and was pampered on her stay. We were definitely not pampered but the staff were nice. I wouldn't stay again. And my advice to people thinking of staying would be to check out the hotel across the road. It has direct access to the beach, which would have been nice. To sum up, of you want to spend money this place is great. If you want value, check else where first. I have sated at the Marriott an if you do t mind it's location, it was much much nicer and better value, even though very similar prices.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear AussieShrimp
Thank you for your review.
I am glad that you really enjoyed your room, found the service really good and found the bed fantastic.
I am disappointed to read that the lagoon area did not live up to your expectations. The lagoon is very popular with our guests and a big reason a lot of our return guests choose to stay with us. Although we do not have direct beach access it is only a 3 minute walk from the hotel.
It is also disappointing that you found the food average. If you could contact me directly to give further detailed feedback I would very much appreciate it.
I hope to hear from you and I would love for you to join us again.

Brisbane
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I booked a weekend away at Versace to celebrate our anniversary. Check-in was slow to start. When it was finally my turn, I was told that despite my request for a king bed, I was booked into a 2xdouble room. They were happy to give me a king but I would have to pay for the upgrade. Failed to tell me anything about the breakfast that I booked (i.e. timing) but went on and on about the chef hatted restaurants on the property. Our swipe cards constantly failed on us so we were repeatedly visiting the front desk to have them reset (much to their annoyance - not ours!). Called housekeeping to change a light bulb - once again, I felt like I was a huge annoyance. They did change the bulb but left shattered glass all over the bathroom.
Highlights: breakfast was AMAZING! All the staff were a joy to deal with. Turn down service was wonderful & the rooms were very comfortable.

Room Tip: request a lagoon room. Rooms that face sea world drive are very noisy
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara W
Dear Fay b
Thank you for Trip Advisor review.
It was a pleasure to read that your buffet breakfast in Il Barocco was amazing along with all staff service throughout the hotel. I am very glad that you enjoyed the turndown service and really enjoyed the comfort of the room.
In regards to your disappointment with the bedding configuration this cannot be guaranteed through a 3rd party booking avenue. Although we will do our very best to match the request that comes through from a 3rd party on occasions we are unable to match the request. If you book through the Palazzo Versace website or call the hotel direct you can select the specific configuration you require.
With the magnetised room keys I apologise for the inconvenience caused. The keys can be sensitive to mobile phones or other electronic devices and cause them to demagnetise.
If you could contact me directly to give more detailed feedback I would very much appreciate it.
I look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me directly when you next choose to stay with us so I can personally look after your reservation. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

"I believe there’s only one way to travel – in style..."

The sound of the grand piano fills the marble floored hallway, adorned by a magnificent golden chandelier, the tinkering of cutlery carving high tea sweets, the shimmering reflection of the lagoon waters...we are welcomed by the Palazzo Versace.

My fiancé (then boyfriend) and I had spent nye09 at the Palazzo and it has been one of our fondest holidays. Venturing into the Palazzo again 3 yrs later and after the recent sale to new investors, we were apprehensive. "Will we get the same exceptional service, will it be as exclusive, will it meet our expectations as set previously in 2009?"

The Palazzo hosted our stay for 5 extravagent nights. During our stay, we experienced impeccable service from all staff, divine cuisine in every restaurant, luxurious environment in every corner. An extremely glamorous and spectacular property with a grand foyer, exquisite furnishings and a magnificent lagoon. It's flashy and it's loud. It's Versace after all.

We avoided reading tripadvisor reviews before the trip to avoid disappointment :) Great decision in this instance.

The reviews are correct that the property needs a facelift but only minor rejuvenation as its still impressive. Our room was beautiful and spacious with every element Versace branded from light fittings to glassware. The complimentary robes, slippers and products were of quality and luxe. Compared to 09, the bedding was toned down and we missed the vibrant coloured medusa covered Versace bedspreads. Didn't care much for the regular whites, we can get those at other 'regular' hotels. The Versace decorative pillows in the bed do need a wash, however we did appreciate their presence. The bed and the pillows were heavenly, we melted into them with the best sleep we've had in years with the sweetest of dreams.

*Our only real negative... The housekeepers were lovely, the housekeeping wasn't. The turndown touch is excellent, however the housekeepers are in immidiate need of training as they are part of the Palazzo Versace branding. The room maintenance was rather sloppy except for the day of check in. Luckily all the glitz and magnificence in other areas of the Palazzo shielded (but not made up for) our disappointed.

The lagoon/pool area is a well oiled machine. The cabanas give it a European touch. There are a large number of them, and rightly so, it's Versace and the cabanas enhance exclusivity. The wait staff are prompt, friendly and thoroughly attentive - the cocktails delicious.

The Palazzo Versace is priced perfectly. It is not a regular hotel chain and one should not expect regular tariffs. We will not hesitate to highly recommend the Versace...though instinct tempts us to hold it a secret all to ourselves.

An extravagant timeout...until next time.

Travel in style.

Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach

Been to Palazzo Versace? Share your experiences!