“Too pricey for families.”

Rivers Restaurant Cruises & Boat Charters
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The cost for my 4 year old to go on the cruise with us was $49 - which is just ridiculous since he would only really eat a piece of bread and two bites of something. Such a shame as I really wanted to do this for my birthday.

1  Thank Bindi13
Laura J, Sales rep at Rivers Restaurant Cruises & Boat Charters, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding our child prices. We offer discounted child rates for children aged 3-12, with under 3's cruising for free. This is quite standard within the cruise industry. We often have promotions on our website that you should check regularly as this may make the cruise more affordable for you. For example for the month of April we have offered 'kids cruise and eat for free' on Tuesday and Thursday nights. We also have an ongoing birthday offer that entitles any of our newsletter subscribers a free cruise on their birthday. It is quick and easy to sign up online. As a gesture of goodwill, we would be willing to extend the kids cruise free offer for a future cruise for you. Please ask for Laura when making your reservation. I hope these offers or one of our future offers can help you and we look forward to seeing you onboard in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were really looking forward to the Dinner cruise last week (Thursday 17th April)but after paying for same, we were sent a text saying that the cruise had been cancelled for that night as there wasn't enough numbers. Saturday would be available but we were flying back to Sydney on the Friday so we got a refund without any problems. I felt very disappointed as it was a chance to see the Broadwater and have a really nice evening before returning home. After reading some of the reviews, it looks like this happens often, such a shame as it seemed really quite good value for money.

1  Thank KatoSydney_Australia
Laura J, Sales Rep at Rivers Restaurant Cruises & Boat Charters, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

We are so sorry that your cruise was cancelled last week. Unfortunately, on occasion if numbers are low, we are forced to cancel our scheduled cruise. This is largely due to customer experience. In the past where we have run cruises with lower numbers we have found that the guest experience is poor due to lack of atmosphere. We find it is better for the majority of guests to cancel in these rare circumstances, as most are able to dine with us on another evening. Unfortunately, for some guests, like yourselves, there may not be another suitable date and therefore we regrettably have to refund. Most weeks we operate Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights as well as Sunday lunch. Due to the public holidays last week we found demand for the dinner cruise lower than normal and sadly we had to cancel. We would love to welcome you onboard if you visit the coast again so that you can experience our fantastic night out on the water.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have only been once on this Cruise during the day. I loved it. The scones and cream were amazing. There was plenty for all. The commentary was interesting and the staff a joy. It provides a pleasant opportunity to see the exclusive waterfront houses, Marina Mirage, Sea World and the Broadwater while enjoying the benefits of cruising.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Poor. Poor. Poor.

Thursday night was cancelled due to lack of numbers. Booked for Saturday night instead!

Seafood buffet consisted of slices of salmon and prawns, crab shells with hardly any meat in them - the majority of food was rice, salad and pasta. If it was sold to us like this we wouldn't have gone.

Entertainment consisted of a middle age woman singing with the aid of a laptop, stopping in between songs when she forgot the words. Her repertoire consisted of 70s- 90s songs that were slowed down and boring.

The worst cruise I've ever been on.

Forget about the cruise! Go to Australia zoo instead!!

1  Thank D M
See more reviews
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Did the Valentines cruise. Couldn't get in on Friday so did the Sat night cruise instead.

Entree Oysters were NOT fresh. And when the waiter cleared our plate - they didn't bother to ask why 3/4 of our oyesters weren't touched?

Buffet food was bland... And average. For $100 per head.... NOT worth it.

They cleared & packed down the buffet without notifying any guests.... I was still eating!!!

Drink service was SLOW... We paid $50 each for a platinum all you can drink beverage package & we did not get the service or speed/attention we paid for.

They cut off all drinks at the bar without notifying the guests either!!!
It took so long to get our drinks throughout the night... Then to close the bar without communicating this to your guest.... Rediculous.

We paid an extra $20 each to guarantee a table of two... ? When most of the tables were two tops anyways!
We didn't have a window seat... When our confirmation email told us our $40 confirmed us a window seat?
But when I initially booked & spoke with the receptionist over the phone she said our $40 could not guaranteed us a window seat?
I don't think they know what's going on... Or what they're charging you for....

When I asked the waiter to NOT clear our dessert whilst we went off to view the deck, he said he couldn't guarantee anything.

I was like.... "WHAT"?
He said that he couldn't guarantee that another waiter wouldn't clear it.... I asked if he could tell the other staff not to... He said "No, that's too hard to do they will just do what they want anyways..."

I asked "Who's section is this anyways?".... And he said it was his! I said to him that surely it couldn't be that hard to tell the other waiters.... I asked how many other waiters are there??? And he said "only four".... Hahaha!
I said "would it be easier for me to do your job for you & notify all the wait staff to NOT clear our dessert?"
He laughed, but I was deadly serious!! So I managed to tell another waiter about our dessert... And asked her to make sure NO one clears it while we are away.

The manager didn't interact with any of the guests on board. He didn't go around to the tables asking if guests enjoyed their meals or service. The only time you saw him was when he was resetting tables? And saying goodbye to everyone leaving the boat.

Towards the end of the night all the other guests kept receiving the wrong bills & it started to create a little chaos..... My god we couldn't wait to get off!

Complete waste of $340 for two people. I would have had a better time elsewhere, without a doubt!!

What made it totally worse was the next day my partner & I were at a car wash waiting for our car to be detailed, and we saw a small hatchback there with the River Cruise advertising all over it.

I said to my Partner "Oh look, we were there last night.... I wonder if the owner or manager is here so we can tell them how terrible it was...."

Next minute, the blonde standing next to me storms away, with attitude, gets in the River Cruise car, gives us a dirty look & drives away!

As someone who works for & represents a business... You would think you'd want to hear the feedback, and ask why it was so terrible??? I suppose only professionals can take constructive feedback & use it for business development.... Without allowing it to bruise their ego??

What a Joke!!!

This is your typical Gold Coast service for you!! Burn 'em & churn 'em.

Not worth the trouble.

5  Thank ForrelaB
Laura J, Function Coordinator at Rivers Restaurant Cruises & Boat Charters, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

ForrelaB, thank you for your feedback. It is a shame you felt the need to leave a public review rather than contact us direct. We were rather shocked to hear about your experience and would love to discuss this complaint with you in person. I have looked through our manifest for the evening and I cannot find a booking name under Forrela and therefore are unable to call you to discuss. I have interviewed the crew regarding your comments as well as randomly rung other guests onboard that evening to get their feedback. Their feedback was positive and as we have not had any complaints about our Valentines cruise it is hard to follow up on your comments based on your review.

I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the buffet. Our team of chefs work hard to produce a quality buffet using the freshest local ingredients. We had a special buffet menu for Valentine’s Day and it was very well received from other guests, I am sorry you did not enjoy. I can assure you the oysters were fresh, they were delivered to the boat on the Saturday morning and shucked that day by our kitchen team. We also spoke with our fishmonger who assured us they were fresh. Again, we have no other complaints. Our entertainer always gives three warnings, a 15 minute, a 10 minute and 5 minute warning, that the buffet is being set down. The buffet was open for over an hour which we feel is plenty of time to go through the buffet as many times as you would like.

With the drinks packages, again, I am sorry if you felt the service was not satisfactory. I am surprised, as drinks service is normally fairly quick. We can sometimes experience a delay during boarding if lots of tables arrive at the same time. This is why we scatter boarding over a one hour period. Throughout the cruise, although drinks service is generally quick, if guests would like a drink immediately they are also more than welcome to go direct to the bar, rather than wait for waiter service. Again, our entertainer advises when the bar closes. We do not close the bar until the boat is docking and we are less than 10 minutes away from disembarkation. We have to close the bar to adhere to liquor licensing requirements.

All the tables for two paid the surcharge. As it was Valentine’s Day this was a very popular option. Those that didn’t were sat on banquet seating. We only have a certain amount of table for twos onboard, hence why we place a surcharge. On our general dinner cruise we offer a window seat guarantee option. We did not have this option available for Valentine’s Day, therefore I have no idea why you felt you were meant to have one. The $340 you paid was the cruise ($99) x 2, Platinum Drinks ($50) x 2 and Table for two ($40).

With regards to the car wash incident, I am completely confused. It was myself that you would have seen. I was at a car wash on the Sunday but did not hear, nor was I approached by anyone regarding a cruise. I would have of course listened to their comments and feedback and given them my details to make a formal written complaint for me to investigate when I was back at work.

I would still like to discuss this further with you, please contact our office on 07 5527 6361.