“Best hote on the strip!”
Review of Ionis Art Hotel

Ionis Art Hotel
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Laganas
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stayed here with two girls in July 2011. 4 star hotel and has everything you expect, especially at the price you pay!

The location of the hotel is great. It is smack bang in the middle of the strip with KFC and Pizza Hut to the right, opposite the hotel is Subway and to the left is McDonalds. All the clubs are in walking distance and the beach is about a 5 minute walk which is what you need on a hot day, not a 20 min walk!!

All other hotels are at the top end of the strip and a really far walk so I do not recommend the other hotels. Been in a few and they are all very basic.

The hotel itself is great, very clean and looks great. Has a lift, which means you don't have to drag all your luggage up the stairs!! The rooms are quite small - but you only sleep in them anyway! Has a flat screen TV and an iPod dock so need to bring your own. Bathroom is really nice, very clean, not a shabby rubbish one. Has lots of wardbrobe space as expected. Beds are comfy and always clean. Maids will tidy and clean your room as expected.

As expected, deposits are required and payments will be needed for safes, fridge, aircon etc. It wasn't hot enough for air con so we saved money. Recommend the safe for obvious reasons. Hotel reception will take your passports and you leave the key with them before you head out which is good, unless you want to lose it!

Pool is great, need to get down early and get sunbeds. Food is average, good range of music is played.

Only downside is the view isn't great, but you're not there to admire views! Do not mark bedding as they charge you.

All in all, great hotel and probably the best and most clean on the strip. It will be better than what others can offer for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sophie C

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We went to Zante in September 2011 and we thought we liked the sound of the Ionis Art Hotel... We since found that looks can be decieving and despite a very nice and arty hotel I believe the hotel is an important part of the experience and this one let us down.
This is the experience in summary...

The Good
A nice art hotel in a good location
Pizza hut, subway, MacDonalds, KFC all in walking distance
The sound proofing keeps the noise of the strip to a minimum although you cant drown out the noise of the quads
The beach was just 5 mins walk away
Becky and Linda on the reception are a good laugh and easy to talk to.
The clubs and bars are on your door step- the famous zeros and cocktails and dreams and cherry bay all within 3-5 mins away.

The Bad
21 Euro's to own a fridge for the week... the fridge can fit 2 bottles of water in and that is it!
The Rooms are baking hot and the Airconditioning would cost 7 Euro each day
There was additional charges for the safe
The cleaners dont knock before coming into the room
If you want breakfast it is always before 9.30- considering you tend to get home at 6am you wont see this and reeally it is not worth waking up for either so another thing you pay for and dont get anything for it
You cant take anyone back over night and they dont even like friends coming over for a few pre-drinks
The hotel will look at ways of raising the cost of your holiday by fining you for everything... everything in the hotel is breakable and made to be broken or not last.
100 Euro if you break the TV
35 Euro if the door handle breaks
the hotel is covered in vases and glass tables which are easy to knock over as you walk past so more fines.
If any of the above happens you will spend half your holiday making appointments to see Mrs Maria the hotel manager to get a telling off
Mrs Maria looks like Anne Robinson the Greek- which is pretty funny!
The hotel view is not great unless you get the view of the pool
If you are facing the strip you stare at a roof that hasnt been cleaned and you have mouldy food, trainers, cigarette ends and the like to look at ... it is like a rubbish site
When you arrive you have to compete a form surveying the condition of the room- if you miss even the smallest detail off this you will be fined
The hotel gave a wake up call to room sint he week- They didnt bother when we were leaving so beware of missing your coach
18-30's holiday- other than the transfer and checking in of the hotel, you dont see your reps for the rest of the week!
The pool was very small and very busy
very often the reception would give out the wrong room key so other guests could have access to your room
we were fined 30 euro for walking past someone who was taking a leak in the hotel entry alley who we didnt even know and show on cctv that we were within metres of him so we were responsible- really!
The hotel staff are not discreet- they gossip and tell all the guests your business
Because of the certain staff at this hotel, I spent most of the week at another hotel- The Ikaros which was far more chilled! It is american owned so you are left to be.
At the Ionis it is Greek owned and strict and in your face.
The hotel writes a report about its guests and records them. So if you have a complaint be careful what you say. If you are rude or yu swear or you believe something is unacceptable you will be called to a meeting with the hotel manager who doesnt care.
Additional costs for internet

The Ugly
The night security Adonis is both rude, aggressive, threatening and unprofessional.
Expect to be disappointed by this guys professionalism and customer service skills
If you get through the door past Adonis at night that is a bonus
adonis spent most of the week dishing out fines and refusing to give out room keys

Would I visit again No
Is it worth a visit-Yes
Are there better hotels- yes shop around a bit
Louis zante Beach hotel was further away from the main zante strip but was 10-15 minutes away but for the extra money it is all inclusive food and drink and there is entertainment too!
Ikaros- far more chilled, cheaper and a better pool

Room Tip: The advise for choosing a good room is you dont need an arty hotel, and you dont need the breakable...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Smirnbucca
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Just returned from a great week in Laganas - weather, bars, clubs, resturants, reps everything was class except one thing....the hotel! We found as many negatives as positives. The positives include location - close to all the main clubs & eateries with the beach no more than 300 yards away, the majority of staff - friendly, co-operative & easy to chat to, the rooms - plenty of drawer/wardrobe space, generally clean with TV & iPod speakers thrown in as a bonus!

However, they charge extra for virtually everything! We had to pay 21 euros for the use of the small fridge, which can't store much, the air con was 7 euros per 24 hours - my mate & I thought this was a rip-off so we put up with the heat when were in the room & although we didn't ask, the safety desposit box had a charge on it. When you first arrive a 30 euro deposit is also required. None of these "extras" are mentioned on their website.

Minor negatives include the breakfast - only had it once but that was enough & be wary of the security bloke Adonis, especially if you're on a lads holiday! Loser is being kind - I was fined 30 euros for a random guy relieving himself in the alley by the hotel all because the security cameras caught me walking past at the time. I was told I would not receive my room key until I paid! Consequently I spoke to the manager the following day & eventually received the money back!

In general the hotel is decent, but if I go back I'd rather stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mike R
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Just got back from my amazing stay at the Ionis with a group of 4 friends. People really ignore the bad reviews because this hotel is quality!you pay €30 deposit which we all got back, they don't charge you for make up and sun cream on the sheets just henna tattoo stains which they make very clear before you even go to your room.

The old security guard is gone and there's a guy called Adonis working and he's really cool, just don't p*ss him off lol

The hotel is a 2 min walk away from the beach it's bang in the middle of the strip, we were going to get quads but we didn't need to drive anywhere!

The reps are amazing!you get a nice welcoming shot of sambucca on arrival

We were in one of the strip view rooms above kfc and honestly never had a single problem with it..maybe because we were smashed everynight lol but it's a 20's holiday so I can't understand people moaning about noise... Honestly what were they expecting the place doesn't stop it's 24/7!

Best clubs..play zeros waikikis and cherry bay.Best restaurants cool peppers and day time snaks maribous!

The hotel is stunning and rooms are lovely!!!way over the expectations!!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Naynay9111
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Great location, can't ask for a better place. Right on the strip and close by to everything you need. If you're looking for a nightlife holiday and a good atmosphere, this is the place to be. The hotel has some great food but there is also Subway, Kfc, pizza hut and Mcdonalds next door. The bars and clubs are right on your doorstep, which makes it quite loud in the night. Really friendly people and the reps make sure you are well looked after. The only thing we didn't realise before we left was that you have to pay 30 euro deposit when you get there in case you break anything and have to pay 7 euros a day for aircon and extra for a safe and a fridge. The air con is definitely worth having as it gets so hot in the night and it cools everything down. But overall a great hotel and definitely worth going to.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel is fab....cant compare it to any others in Laganas! It is on the strip so you never have to walk far for anything. Beach is 3 minutes away and bars/clubs/restaurants are right beside it. The rooms are all clean and the maid comes in everyday. Everyone at the hotel is there for a good time so the atmosphere at the pool is great! Adonis is a bit scary but like what other people have said if you respect him he will have no problem with you. Sleeping is not amazing but you soon get used to it coz you are so tired when you go to bed anyway. I personally wouldnt get up for breakfast as it isnt very good and it is only on between 8:30-10! This is the best time to get sleep anyway!
The reps are so friendly and totally recommend the booze cruise.
Overall the hotel is amazing- would defo go back to zante and would never go anywhere apart from Ionis!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hayley M
Reviewed August 17, 2011

When we booked the Ionis Art Hotel back in October, 2010 we were well impressed with the price, £150 deposit, and the remainder was £329, which is pretty good for a hotel that boasts to be 4 star! That evening, I went home and decided to check the online reviews, and it's fair to say that I became very worried! Most reviews said that the hotel asked for a bond of $30, some said $40, even $50 from each person, which they did NOT get back at the end of the week because the hotel had set them up, claiming that they had damaged this and that. Also, a lot of reviews said that along with the loss of their deposit, they were also charged additional prices for getting make-up stains on the bed sheets, towells, etc. Obviously, I thought, that this hotel was adept at swindling money out of naive youngsters simply because it could.
Anyway, the holiday was already booked, so I pushed the reviews out of my mind. We were a party of ten girls, all eighteen years of age, and we departed from Cardiff Airport on the 29th of July at 6:30 am and arrived at Zakynthos around 11:30 pm local time. It's only a ten minute bus journey from the airport to Laganas, so we were at the hotel and checking in in no time. After being in the same clothes since 8pm the following evening, and the temperature in Zante being over 44degrees, I was in a hurry to check into my room, to get out of my clammy clothes and to put a bikini on. But, due to a large amount of guests checking out that same morning, some of our rooms weren't yet prepared for us to move in, which meant that we had to hang around in the reception area until almost half past one, bearing in mind that we arrived at the hotel at around twelve o clock! Unimpressed with the wait, when we finally did check in at reception we handed over $30 each (there were two of us sharing a room), and we paid for air conditioning, a safe box and a fridge (optional) which did cost a large amount.
Having finally got into our room, which was room 98, the first room from reception (we heard almost everything that went on in the nights!), we discovered that the cleaner had done her job well and it was spotless. Although I wouldn't have quite called the accomodation a four star, you have to remember that the accomodation in Greece is very basic, therefore a four star to them would be rated perhaps three-three and a half with us. The bathroom was small and basic, but clean. The only complaint I did have with the bathroom was that the shower (again, typical Greece) was a square in the floor and a shower curtain, which was very small, and did get very stuffy because unless you pull the curtain right around, everything in the bathroom would get absolutely soaked!
Upon checking in, we had to hand over our passports (which I wasn't too keen on doing) and were only allowed them back when the receptionist had put them all on their computer database, which was much later that evening. Meanwhile, we had to fill in a form stating anything that may be damaged or broken in the room. Having read the reviews and been forewarned, I checked EVERYTHING, and I wrote everything down. No way was I losing $30, that was my bottle of perfume in the Duty Free on the way home!
Despite the bad reviews, I personally thought that the Ionis Art Hotel was a fantastic choice of hotel. Firstly because, it is one of the only two 2wentys hotels in Laganas (the other one being the Laganas Hotel, which is quite far from the main strip) therefore everyone at the hotel is around your age. Secondly, it is bang in the middle of the strip, so no long walks or taxis to get about, and if you need to go back to get more money etc it's only a short distance away from where everyone else is. And lastly, it has a KFC and Pizza Hut on site, a Subway directly opposite, and a McDonalds next door to the Subway, so any of you who hate trying foreign food, you will not go hungry at the Ionis! It also has a small shop next door that sells large cans of their Greek beer, Mythos for $1, $24 for a crate of 24 cans, their Greek wine (which is vile, but gets you absolutely hammered) for $3, and other well known brands such as Strongbow, Carlsberg, Koppaburg, Smirnoff Ice, WKD etc. It's a good idea to check the shop out and pre-drink in the room because the bar in the hotel is quite expensive, a vodka and mixer will cost you $5, and any imported beverages such as Stella, WKD, Smirnoff Ice, Koppaburg and Magners will cost you more again.
My personal advice, if you're between the age of 18-30 and you're going with a group of friends for a mad one, GO TO THE IONIS, it is absolutely crazy there. The reps, Trigger and Rachel are a good laugh and the music by the pool is banging! While we were there, there was a large amount of Welsh people staying in the hotel, along with our group of ten girls combined there was perhaps forty of us from Wales there. There were also a lot of Northern lads there. According to the reps the hotel attracts mostly Welsh people and Northerners, which if I may say so myself are a nice bunch of people!
Like I said, if you're between the age of 18-30, this hotel is for you, and unless you've been on a 2wentys holiday before, book some of the events, they are wicked! We booked the Friday Foam Party, the Naughty Reunion which was on the Saturday, and then the Booze Cruise which was on the Thursday. For the three events we paid $112, which isn't bad seeing as you get two hour free bar (drink as much as you can, afterwards the drinks in the clubs are $5 each and they are definitely watered down!). The events were amazing, especially the Booze Cruise. I'd also suggest, unless you get drunk every night or you are a major HEAVY sleeper, you will NOT sleep at the Ionis. On the last night, I remained sober for we had to be up at eight the following morning because we had to be out of the hotel early, I did not sleep at all that night, and although Adonnis, the security guard (I'll come to him now, there's quite a bit to say about him) tries to keep things quiet, the noise will still disturbe you. Remember, it's a 2wentys hotel, therefore, from 12am till 8am in the morning, party-goers are going to be stumbling down the corridors, singing, chanting etc all night long.
Now, Adonnis and the staff...the reception is open 24hours, so you're allowed to stumble in at any time you want, just make sure you're quiet about it because Adonnis, who is HUGEEEE and mega scary, will go crazy on you! It's probably best to stay on his good side, because he will throw you out of the hotel. He's relatively patient with girls, but has no time whatsoever for boys. One night, one of the Welsh boys brought back a girl for the third consecutive night, and they both fell out over it, squaring up to each other. Adonnis then threw him out of the hotel, so a word of advice, behave when Adonnis is about, and not only in the corridors, also in your rooms! One night we had a party in one of our rooms, which was on the third floor, and we had the music blasting, needless to say, Adonnis was there within seconds turfing us all out!
As for the deposits, additional costs, damaged items etc, we had our $30 deposit back at the end of the week, and me and my room mate didn't have to pay for anything extra such as stains on towells, bed clothes (even though I did drop my mascara wand on the bed sheets). My friend in another room did get fake-tan on her bed-sheets and was made to pay $20, but she didn't lose her deposit. If you get the sheets dirty, don't worry, but if it stains, be prepared for a bill in your pigeon hole at reception. Also, be carefull with the items in your room, two members of our gang were charged $6 for accidentally smashing two little drinking glasses. One night, while having a few drinks in a few of the Welsh boys rooms, they all got a little bit excited, started jumping around and smashed the bedside lampshade, they had a bill for $80 the following morning. It's not only the items in your room you should be careful of either, the expensive artwork all around the hotel is very fragile. One boy fell against a painting while drunk one night and it smashed, he was fined $500 by the owners.
Despite all this, I absolutely loved the Ionis, I met some great people, and I had the best time of my life out there. Don't pay any notice to reviews saying bad things about the hotel, it seriously is a great place. As long as you respect the hotel and it's staff, they will respect you back and no trouble will come to you!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends