“A FANTASTIC HOTEL!!”

Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Laganas
Swansea, United Kingdom
“A FANTASTIC HOTEL!!”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

When we booked the Ionis Art Hotel back in October, 2010 we were well impressed with the price, £150 deposit, and the remainder was £329, which is pretty good for a hotel that boasts to be 4 star! That evening, I went home and decided to check the online reviews, and it's fair to say that I became very worried! Most reviews said that the hotel asked for a bond of $30, some said $40, even $50 from each person, which they did NOT get back at the end of the week because the hotel had set them up, claiming that they had damaged this and that. Also, a lot of reviews said that along with the loss of their deposit, they were also charged additional prices for getting make-up stains on the bed sheets, towells, etc. Obviously, I thought, that this hotel was adept at swindling money out of naive youngsters simply because it could.
Anyway, the holiday was already booked, so I pushed the reviews out of my mind. We were a party of ten girls, all eighteen years of age, and we departed from Cardiff Airport on the 29th of July at 6:30 am and arrived at Zakynthos around 11:30 pm local time. It's only a ten minute bus journey from the airport to Laganas, so we were at the hotel and checking in in no time. After being in the same clothes since 8pm the following evening, and the temperature in Zante being over 44degrees, I was in a hurry to check into my room, to get out of my clammy clothes and to put a bikini on. But, due to a large amount of guests checking out that same morning, some of our rooms weren't yet prepared for us to move in, which meant that we had to hang around in the reception area until almost half past one, bearing in mind that we arrived at the hotel at around twelve o clock! Unimpressed with the wait, when we finally did check in at reception we handed over $30 each (there were two of us sharing a room), and we paid for air conditioning, a safe box and a fridge (optional) which did cost a large amount.
Having finally got into our room, which was room 98, the first room from reception (we heard almost everything that went on in the nights!), we discovered that the cleaner had done her job well and it was spotless. Although I wouldn't have quite called the accomodation a four star, you have to remember that the accomodation in Greece is very basic, therefore a four star to them would be rated perhaps three-three and a half with us. The bathroom was small and basic, but clean. The only complaint I did have with the bathroom was that the shower (again, typical Greece) was a square in the floor and a shower curtain, which was very small, and did get very stuffy because unless you pull the curtain right around, everything in the bathroom would get absolutely soaked!
Upon checking in, we had to hand over our passports (which I wasn't too keen on doing) and were only allowed them back when the receptionist had put them all on their computer database, which was much later that evening. Meanwhile, we had to fill in a form stating anything that may be damaged or broken in the room. Having read the reviews and been forewarned, I checked EVERYTHING, and I wrote everything down. No way was I losing $30, that was my bottle of perfume in the Duty Free on the way home!
Despite the bad reviews, I personally thought that the Ionis Art Hotel was a fantastic choice of hotel. Firstly because, it is one of the only two 2wentys hotels in Laganas (the other one being the Laganas Hotel, which is quite far from the main strip) therefore everyone at the hotel is around your age. Secondly, it is bang in the middle of the strip, so no long walks or taxis to get about, and if you need to go back to get more money etc it's only a short distance away from where everyone else is. And lastly, it has a KFC and Pizza Hut on site, a Subway directly opposite, and a McDonalds next door to the Subway, so any of you who hate trying foreign food, you will not go hungry at the Ionis! It also has a small shop next door that sells large cans of their Greek beer, Mythos for $1, $24 for a crate of 24 cans, their Greek wine (which is vile, but gets you absolutely hammered) for $3, and other well known brands such as Strongbow, Carlsberg, Koppaburg, Smirnoff Ice, WKD etc. It's a good idea to check the shop out and pre-drink in the room because the bar in the hotel is quite expensive, a vodka and mixer will cost you $5, and any imported beverages such as Stella, WKD, Smirnoff Ice, Koppaburg and Magners will cost you more again.
My personal advice, if you're between the age of 18-30 and you're going with a group of friends for a mad one, GO TO THE IONIS, it is absolutely crazy there. The reps, Trigger and Rachel are a good laugh and the music by the pool is banging! While we were there, there was a large amount of Welsh people staying in the hotel, along with our group of ten girls combined there was perhaps forty of us from Wales there. There were also a lot of Northern lads there. According to the reps the hotel attracts mostly Welsh people and Northerners, which if I may say so myself are a nice bunch of people!
Like I said, if you're between the age of 18-30, this hotel is for you, and unless you've been on a 2wentys holiday before, book some of the events, they are wicked! We booked the Friday Foam Party, the Naughty Reunion which was on the Saturday, and then the Booze Cruise which was on the Thursday. For the three events we paid $112, which isn't bad seeing as you get two hour free bar (drink as much as you can, afterwards the drinks in the clubs are $5 each and they are definitely watered down!). The events were amazing, especially the Booze Cruise. I'd also suggest, unless you get drunk every night or you are a major HEAVY sleeper, you will NOT sleep at the Ionis. On the last night, I remained sober for we had to be up at eight the following morning because we had to be out of the hotel early, I did not sleep at all that night, and although Adonnis, the security guard (I'll come to him now, there's quite a bit to say about him) tries to keep things quiet, the noise will still disturbe you. Remember, it's a 2wentys hotel, therefore, from 12am till 8am in the morning, party-goers are going to be stumbling down the corridors, singing, chanting etc all night long.
Now, Adonnis and the staff...the reception is open 24hours, so you're allowed to stumble in at any time you want, just make sure you're quiet about it because Adonnis, who is HUGEEEE and mega scary, will go crazy on you! It's probably best to stay on his good side, because he will throw you out of the hotel. He's relatively patient with girls, but has no time whatsoever for boys. One night, one of the Welsh boys brought back a girl for the third consecutive night, and they both fell out over it, squaring up to each other. Adonnis then threw him out of the hotel, so a word of advice, behave when Adonnis is about, and not only in the corridors, also in your rooms! One night we had a party in one of our rooms, which was on the third floor, and we had the music blasting, needless to say, Adonnis was there within seconds turfing us all out!
As for the deposits, additional costs, damaged items etc, we had our $30 deposit back at the end of the week, and me and my room mate didn't have to pay for anything extra such as stains on towells, bed clothes (even though I did drop my mascara wand on the bed sheets). My friend in another room did get fake-tan on her bed-sheets and was made to pay $20, but she didn't lose her deposit. If you get the sheets dirty, don't worry, but if it stains, be prepared for a bill in your pigeon hole at reception. Also, be carefull with the items in your room, two members of our gang were charged $6 for accidentally smashing two little drinking glasses. One night, while having a few drinks in a few of the Welsh boys rooms, they all got a little bit excited, started jumping around and smashed the bedside lampshade, they had a bill for $80 the following morning. It's not only the items in your room you should be careful of either, the expensive artwork all around the hotel is very fragile. One boy fell against a painting while drunk one night and it smashed, he was fined $500 by the owners.
Despite all this, I absolutely loved the Ionis, I met some great people, and I had the best time of my life out there. Don't pay any notice to reviews saying bad things about the hotel, it seriously is a great place. As long as you respect the hotel and it's staff, they will respect you back and no trouble will come to you!

4 Thank LKM25W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel is an 18-30 hotel dont go there if your a family because it is for groups of people. The location is right on the strip with all the bars and clubs and resturants, could not ask for a better area. Nice pool, lovely modern rooms. The only things that i would say is a negative is you have to pay 50euros for air-con and i think it should be included, also they call it bed and breakfast but the breakfast is a continenatal breakfast and isnt worth getting up for 0830-1000am. Also if you would like to bring guests they are very strict and you have to pay them 30euros and they have to have passport or a driving license. But overall would definately come back and stay here again, I'd give it 8 out of 10 x

1 Thank Laura186466
Cheshire
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Myself and 3 of my girl friends have just been to Zante and stayed in the Ionis, it is deffinatly by far the best hotel out there. You walk out of the hotel and your on the strip. The pool gets constant sun throughout the day. The reps in the hotel are fab. The staff are very friendly but are strict if you brake something, so expect to pay if you damage anything. The food is nice and cheap, the bars all do fab drinking deals. We booked some nights out with the Reps the Boat Trip and to see Eddie Halliwell and it was just amazing the reps made it a fab atmosphere, playing games and teaching you dances. The Reps do try and steer you away from going the White Party which is on a Sunday, you HAVE to go tho, its simply amazing, people will approach you on the strip to get tickets for this. Ive been to Magaluf and Ayia Napa and I would say Zante has been by far my best!! lovely hotel, hot hot weather, lovely people just spot on for a friends holiday :) :)

kent
Reviewed June 30, 2011

brilliant hotel, amazing location. absolutely loved it

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I'm 26 and went on holiday with a female mate. We had such a brilliant time, the hotel was the best place and best in resort! The hotel service was friendly and made feel welcome! Right on the main clubbing strip and 2 minutes from beach. Mcy D's is across the road too! Would recommend to any 18-30 year olds that like all nighters to 5am... cos you wont get any sleep its noisy till 5am, but we didnt mind cos we were out. Clean room, with daily maid changing service. the room had a plasma tv with dvd/cd and ipod dock -FAB! Will be going back again in 2012!! :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julieboolie26
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2011

For a 2wentys hotel it is amazing! me and a group of friends stayed for a week and felt like we never wanted to leave.
All the staff from the reps right through to Lynn and Dennis on reception were amazing. Individual and helpful service was received throughout the stay. The rooms were of a top quality and the location cannot be beaten (right by the strip and minutes away from the sea). OK not a hotel choice for the oldies and the pool could be bigger, but if your in Laganas for a top time don't consider anywhere else!
Would stay again for definite

Room Tip: Poolside if your a bit of a loud, perve
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Hiya, Me and one of my friends stayed at the hotel from the 22may for one week 2011... As soon as we arrived we were very pleased with our choice of hotel, the recpetionists were very friendly Lynn was like a mum to us, and the night receptionist and security guard Adonis was the best EVER!!! Any trouble and it would get sorted, only bad part is you wernt allowed people back to your room.. In the rooms you get a flat screen telly and an ipod dock station!!!

On arrival the reps greet u straight away and you have a welcom meeting where we booked up to go on eveerything costing us 130 euros, i think 3 of the nights we got a free bar whey!!!! and another 2 were half price drinks and there were deals on so its defiently worth it.. They were lovely again always chatty and there if you needed help with everything.

The maids were good too one night my friend threw up absolutly everywhere, pure filth but the next day when we went back to the room it was spotless, couldnt believe it... although we did get our first note put into ur key hole behind reception which was an 11 euro charge as the bed throw over and sheet were ruined.. so make sure not to break anything or you will be charged :)

You literally walk out of the hotel and you are on the "main strip" with clubs and bars either way, and the beach about 3 mins away.. Lots of fast food and restaurants, kfc, mcdonals, etc and the clubs are really good.. defiently Rescues, Zeros, and Wikikis later on in the evening and to carry on partying at 6 in the morning u can go to Oceans...

We both said we would go back as even at the time we went it wasnt ramo but was still busy enough and not tooo many ppl to be overcrowded... oh and on the street there are like a group of gypsie kids who try to steel stuff but their quite easy to get rid of lol...

Money wise, drinks are expenisve ruffly the same everywherre but if u barter for deals they usually give in and the shop next door to the hotel sells bottle of wine for 3 euros and 1 euro per can of beer

Hope you enjoy ur Holiday!! Xx