“Holiday from hell”

Helen & Theo Studios
Ranked #37 of 73 Hotels in Laganas
Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you want a clean well maintained apartment and the ability to self cater then don't go there. The toilet leaked leaving the bathroom floor constantly wet and dangerous. The shower curtain didn't contain the water and we had to tie the shower head up with string as there was no riser rail but that wasn't a problem as we only had hot water once during our week long stay. The beds were children size, very old and uncomfortable and the sheets only changed once on one of the beds and replaced with sheets with holes in. Take your own towels as the cleaners forgot to leave us any and we had to make do with a single hand towel. The freezer compartment of the fridge kept falling off and leaked so you couldn't put food on the shelves. The kettle either wouldn't turn off and got too hot to handle or kept turning off before boiling. The cutlery and plates were plastic, mismatched and minimal. Our room was cleaned once and as you have to put toilet paper in a bin this wasn't enough. If you use the bar then you'll probably get better service than we did. There was a large active wasp nest at the base of the stairs leading to the upstairs apartments. Concrete cancer rules and frankly the place needs condemning. We ended up booking into the Canada Hotel for our last night which was far superior and charged the same as the Helen studios. The reps couldn't care less but will give you a customer complaint form but don't bother with it as Thomas cook care even less and will just ignore your 'observations'.

Room Tip: There aren't any. They're all hovels.
6  Thank Frances F

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just got back from a 2 week stay in the annexe, my first solo trip and I'm so glad I chose to stay here! Ok, the facilities in the rooms are basic but in my experience they usually are in Greece. The room was clean and had everything I needed, the towels and sheets were changed twice a week which was ample. There was a sink, fridge, two hobs plates to cook on, cutlery, crockery, sandwhich maker etc. Also, plenty of coathangers for everything. If you happen to be in room 8, the taps for the kitchen and bathroom sink are lally (hot is cold, cold is hot) but had constant hot water and the shower (handheld but I do that at home as I'm very short and prefer that), had excellent water pressure and temperature.

Speaking of temperature, it was super hot whilst I stayed and at 80 euros for 2 weeks the air con is a must. The BBQ night is brilliant and a fab way to meet others staying at the hotel (many of whom I made friends with and keep in touch with, hoping to see them all again next year!) Nikki makes the best tzatsiki and all the food is delicious. There was also greek dancing which was alot of fun! The food and drink from the pool bar is reasonably priced and yummy and the pool was refreshing and fab. There are ample sunbeds and umbrellas for all and it's a nice pool area.

The family are so kind and honestly can't do enough for you. They even keep the pool bar open for those waiting to be collected to go back to the airport (4.30 for me), and I kept my room on for as long as I wanted to be in there before I left to be collected for 30 euros, which I felt was well worth it.

For me, the beds were gert comfy and I slept really well. The balcony is lovely and you can lower and raise the canopy over it as it suits you. Yannis was happy to call a taxi when I went to the strip alone, it's a flat 6 euros so don't let any driver try to charge you more! Agree the price before you start the journey.

Can highly recommend The Paradise opposite the bottom of the alley, they make some of the best cocktails I've tasted and are lovely people. Also, the Pink Panther is brilliant, The Canadian and Fantasy Bar are just two minutes down the road and are very good (however, ladies look out for the owners brother in Fantasy bar (Dennis, doesn't understand the word no it seems!)

For food, The Toad in the Hole, Vanilla and Panos are excellent, for food and value. There is a shop for water, bread etc just 2 mins away, go to the bottom of the alley and turn left, they'll also give you a free resort map.

I'm really hoping I'll be able to go back to Helen Studios next year, and if I'm honest every year. I felt so comfortable, which is brilliant as a female travelling alone. Choose Helen's Studios, you'll have a fab time I tell you!

Cheers, Shell, x

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Michelle I
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Sorry, but don't agree with some of the reviews of these apartments. We have just returned from spending 2 weeks(in the annexe) at them and we had no issues at all. Yes, they are basic - as are most apartments in Greece. Our apartment was spotless, everything worked, plenty of plates/knifes/forks/spoons. Beds were clean, shower worked and there was plenty of hot water. Taz and all the staff couldn't do enough to help - the cleaners came in late morning or early afternoon - not like some that come in at the crack of dawn. Would have no problems going back there!

5  Thank Norrie B
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed end August/beginning Sept 2012...second time staying here! The owners remembered my partner and I from the first time around so we got a warm welcome! Pool area was lovely - kept clean and in the sun for most of the day. The BBQ night with traditional Greek dancing was brilliant, and Nikki's homemade tzatziki is DELICIOUS! Drinks not too badly priced either.

The location is fantastic - it's not even 5 mins to the beach, and only a 15 min walk to the main strip with lots of shops, bars, and tavernas!

Although the rooms are very basic (they usually are in Greece!), they have everything you need - kitchen sink, fridge, 2 hob rings, shower, toilet etc. They are cleaned every other day which is great. The only thing I would say is that the beds are rather uncomfortable. Due to the simplicity of the rooms I would probably recommend these apartments for the younger generation (our party ranged from age 20-32).

All in all a great holiday, and can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank AmyLou_2112
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed at Helen studios dirty hole of a place. Location was great apartment minging beds a nightmare better sleepin on the floor.shower was rotten toilet seet worn out didn't want to touch anything anywere in the place.Cutlery think they were expecting us to eat with our fingers well one of us their was only one of each sitin in a dirty plastic cup come on I no u get wat u pay for but that place is a joke.O and breakfast on our first morning at the hovel we ordered two English BF I had two long black hairs in mine showed my girl them she had a giggle with embarressment lol then I pointed out a pube on the rim of her cup lol. Yeah so I do recommend Hellen studios. Not

Room Tip: No gd rooms
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I booked this with my friend, thinking Laganas was the "party resort" This hotel is more for older couples and people who dont like to leave the hotel. Its nice and friendly but not what we were looking for...
Its an ok place to stay, pretty basic, room was small but did us as we were hardly ever in the room. Could never self cater here tho! no bath just shower, we had no hot water for 3 days solid. One cooking ring, mismatched plates one cup, 3 forks. Bed was pretty uncomfy. Nice balcony. Mirror, loads of place to hang clothes.
Swimming pool was always in the shade so didnt go in it. Food at hotel bar good, drinks 4 euro, not the cheapest, same price for a drink on the main strip in the big clubs!!
Location is fab, 3 mins from, beach 10/15 min walk from strip. Girls dont walk home at night, its a dark back road, get a taxi.
Dont book here if you want to party (even though it is laganas!), having your music on past ten and having a drink on your balcony after a night out is frowned apon. Wouldnt have booked this hotel if we had known this, but since it was laganas we didnt think this would be a problem.
Woudl be ok for a much older couple but not for 2 friends wanting to have a fun holiday.

Room Tip: Annex is quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank xxleexx
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had to access the accommodation from around the back of the block and there were unfinished steps with extremely rough edges sticking out, all in all quite dangerous!

The extremely small room allocated to us was dark, dank and smelly.

The furniture consisted of two rickety beds with soiled linen, a badly stained one drawer worn out wooden bedside cabinet with an even more badly stained two drawer wooden dressing table and there was a small rickety wardrobe. There was barely enough room to turn around.

The lights didn’t look safe either.

The bathroom was so small it was impossible to close the door when sitting on the toilet. The shower ‘area’ was filthy and covered in hair and the shower head was held together with a rusty screw. The shower curtain had mildew all around the bottom. The basin was dirty and the taps were encrusted. There was hair in the plughole.

The balcony balustrades were cracked and appeared to be very unstable, and I wouldn’t have wanted to sit outside as it looked unsafe and was shared with another couple.

The kitchen was one small kitchen sink unit, which was filthy. The crockery was of mis-matched plastic plates – cracked and scratched. Totally unhealthy and none of it clean! The toaster was rusted out.

In my opinion it should have been condemned.

I suppose if you are a youngster and looking for somewhere to sleep, then it could be OK, but as a base for a two week holiday for our age (56 and 60) it was depressing.

We paid extra to be moved to a much better hotel as we couldn't bear the thought of even one more hour in that place!

Room Tip: There isn't a good room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laganas
Hera Zakynthos Hotel
Portego Hotel
#61 of 73 in Laganas
Paradise Apartments & Studios
Zante Plaza Hotel & Apartments

Been to Helen & Theo Studios? Share your experiences!