“Good Hotel, Good Time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of smartline Margarita Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Laganas
smartline Margarita Hotel
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Laganas
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel, Good Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Have just returned from 2 weeks at the Margarita Hotel, and enjoyed a very good holiday there.

Accomodation:
We were allocated a room in the new block and it was very clean and functional, only slight complaint would be that there was not enough storage space, but there were 5 of us, however on the positive side all of the kids had their own proper bed, when I was expecting there to be at least one camp bed. Cleaned 6 days a week, air conditioning a must though but it was only in the main bedroom which meant that we had to leave the door open so as to ensure the kids room didn’t get too hot.
There were several young groups staying in the hotel at the time of our our holiday but there was never any trouble with them day or night.

Did get a bit repetitive but always something there for everyone and the deserts were gorgeous. The snacks at the pool bar were great, with a variety which pleased all of our party.
We did eat out and there are some good deals in the adjacent streets to the hotel.

Entertainment
The entertainment crew tried to keep the activities going with Pool, Darts, Football, Water Polo & Volleyball. The evening entertainment was the usual Bingo, Karaoke & Miss/Mr Margarita but again Adrian and the other organisers did their best & it was a lot better than some I’ve been too.
Went to the waterpark which although not the biggest was great fun.

Resort
The strip is about 10 mins walk away and is very lively with lots of party goers but the side streets have some nice bars & restaurants. Also there are some lovely beach side bars for a nice drink when the sun is going down.
Biggest down side of the resort is being constantly hassled to go into bars and restaurants by people on the streets.
Excursions much cheaper to buy in the resort.

Negatives
During our stay at the hotel there was a big problem around the family pool with lots & lots of wasps which only seemed to be getting worse as the time went on.
One of the kids in our group was burnt as one of the kitchen staff served him soup (far too much being served for the size of the dishes, meant it was right to the top of the bowl). There was no first aider at the hotel, and neither were they willing to provide dressings, and as there was a taxi strike, had to walk about 2 miles to the nearest chemist to get our own.
Apart from this a nice hotel with friendly staff.

The acid test is would I go back again – Yes I definitely would.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the new block
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I've been to Zante now 4 times and will always go back! However I can't say the same for the Margarita hotel.
Upon arrival, all was good, we were met by the rep who was so friendly and she told us about the excursions and local hotspots. We then checked in to find the hotel had ran out of single rooms and decided to dump us in grotty (and i mean I wouldn't dream of leaving my dog in there) little rooms. The bed slats were broken so it impossible to sleep unless your body shape was like a banana!! The bathroom was like something you wouls see in a French Hostel! They would't even compensate by giving us air con free! They just did not care.
We are mature adults who like to have a laugh and drink at night. There were 6 of us in total and if we wanted a drink each, we all had to go to the bar because they would only serve you 1DRINK! per half hour per person! I mean how pathetic is this? We paid all inclusive and clearly they don't want your complimants when you get home!
We got quite chatty to a couple of the barmen and they started serving us and letting us get rounds after a few days. But I felt sorry for the young lads and girls out there who paid all this money for all inclusive and then all their group had to go to the bar (sometimes 30 people). They would serve who they like more drinks and then the next person 1.
The food wern't too bad, however it was abit repetitive. Alot of pasta and lamb. But I think they re-heat dinner for tea.
If you were a little loud then you would be thrown straight out as we seen a few groups go! I mean come on!! They are in one of the top clubbing destinations in Europe but you can't be a little loud?? If you are 18-30, do not go here!! if you are 31-150 do not go here!!
I paid £600 and I feel like i've been robbed!!

2 Thank Jo M
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at the Margarita for 7 nights. It was our first time to Greece and originally we had wanted to go to either Skiathos or Kefalonia on a self catering basis however at the time of booking these options turned out to be expensive so the Margarita on an All inclusive basis seemed like a more sensible option.

My partner and I are in our mid and late twenties are both fun loving and like to party so Laganas seemed like a good option as there was plenty of nightlife if we wanted it ! At the time of booking we were told by the travel agent that Laganas is lively but not as lively as the other Greek resorts - Kavos and Falaraki......hmmm I dread to think what those resorts are like!

THE HOTEL:
The hotel is average Europen. Not very inspiring just like the resort! We had one of the old rooms on the 2nd floor it was okay. Very basic with a double bed, double wardrobe and dressing table. The shower was an absolute joke (showers in caravans are much bigger) It was tiny..... i'm only petite so I feel sorry for anyone who is on the larger side trying to manovure around in there! The plus side was the room was always cleaned to a high standard.

The food you've guessed it was...... average, ha! The buffet had a great salads and watermelon avaliable everyday (all the veggies and fruit are grown in a garden across from the hotel). The hot food got quite repetitive as the week went on. Everyday there would be chips, potatoes and a pasta dish. Such a shame that there was not many greek dishes on offer! This might sound a little unfriendly but we didn't really like the idea of sharing a dinning table with two other couples from the hotel it sometimes felt quite uncomfortable. I've never come across that before in a hotel so I was rather shocked on the first night.

Service around the bars was sometimes rather slow, there was one particular man who is definately not cut out for bar work, pace definately was not his strong point! The drinks on offer were typical all inclusive standard beer, wine,soft drinks, vodka, gin, martini and rum etc.

There were two pool areas. We avoided the family pool which played loud awful cheesy music and opted for the more laid back pool at the front of the hotel. The pool area was always clean however I have never seen so many WASPS!! The hotel seriously needs to get that sorted out as both pool areas have serious problems.

There was a mix of couples, families and groups of young singles in the hotel all from the UK (the hotel is exclusively First Choice). I am still trying to get my head around why families would go to Laganas, its not a family resort in the slightest!!

The hotel entertainment was the same old rubbish - Bingo (twice a night), Mr Margarita, and Karaoke.

THE RESORT:
I can honestly say that Laganas is the worst resort I have ever stayed in. I was quite apprehensive about going to Laganas in the first place but it was much worse than expected! It might be amazing to an uncultured 17 year old on their first holiday without the rents. The strip was ugly and full of underage groups. Every bar played the same hideous chart dance music. When we did go to the strip we went to a Indie bar which was okay and somewhere to escape.

The beach..... don't know where to start. Dirty and ugly .....the only thing that was missing was a few donkeys!! It was overcrowded and full of idiots. We didn't spend one day at the beach (10 minutes was plenty) which I was totally devastated about, as I love a good beach!

I was definately not proud to be British whilst holidaying here more like embarassed!! Laganas does not have an ounce of coolness its brash and loud and hate to say it...chavy! If I had young children I definately would not feel comfortable taking them out of the hotel. The strip and beach are no place for young children!

The best thing about the holiday was the weather which was perfect - sunny and hot everyday!

To sum the holiday up - a typical un-inspiring package holiday, average hotel, ugly resort.

I'll be sticking with Ibiza next year!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Vintagegems82
essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We were sold this holiday as a family holiday in a family resort this it deffinently was not and we realsied this as soon as we arrived at the airport we were surronded by young kids wearing Lagans 2011 T shirts. This only got worse we were the only family on the coach surronded by the young groups .

The hotel was beautiful and very clean the swimimg poolm was clean and the upside of being surronded by young groups was you didnt have to worry about not getting a sunbed or being overcrowded in the pool area,

Our room was a new one and beautiful perfectly adequate for what you need it for we never heard any noise form the groups and the owners are really strict on thos who are noisy we saw three groups of lads eveicted for being roudy.

The food is dreadful the same offered every night chips rice and tehn left overs from tghe lunch or the night before the breakfast was awful with no selection or other option other then a full english which can become boaring and also not healthy,

The bar snacks are really nice burger and chips hot dogs etc but this can also become very repetative and unhealthy everyday .

Laganas is not a family resort at all and it never should have been sold to us as a family resort .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank essextracey
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

On our arrival we were welcomed by the hotel owner margarita, she seemed a nice woman

Our first opinions of the rooms was good, nice and clean what more could you ask for! Although it was'nt one of the refurbished rooms, me and a friend was happy with it afterall you only sleep in there.

The food was ok, every night there was something i liked just a little repetitive. Breakfast was good. The bar snacks were tasty too so theres always something to eat even for the fussy eaters.

I found the drinks were fine, although your only allowed one drink per person so there was often quite a que waiting for drinks.

Do not book any trips with the travel reps as you can get the excursion cost much cheaper around the resort, the reps make out they are getting you to the excursion before everyone else when you dont because you end up on the same buses as everyone else even the same people who booked the trips on the strip who got it cheaper, also they charge you for the transfer there and back when i found out that the coach is free! All in all we lost about 15euros by booking some of the trips with the reps.

i did go to the clubs most nights with my friend and returned quite late and i heard people coming in to there rooms even later making a bit of noise but didnt really bother me that much because i expected that as i was in a lively resort, people on here who were bothered about the noise should have stayed in a quieter resort like kalamaki. what really do expect in peak season and a lively resort haha.

i am thinking about going back to this hotel early septemeber time this year. so i would recommend this hotel to people but not for families with small children as you probably be distubed late at night especially in peak season.

hope this review helped :)

3 Thank brads21
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Margarita from the 4th to the 11th July 2011 for a girls/clubbing holiday in Laganas. On first arrival the hotel entrance and lobby was fantastically clean and we were welcomed by Margarita (the owner) who was lovely and spoke excellent english, we also found that our rooms were really easy to find. There were six of us in total, two to each room; however two of our rooms were newly renovated, modern and brilliant, one of them; was not. The older room was lacking in features but suited us well as we weren't planning to spend too much time in the rooms. If I was to return to this hotel however, I would specify a renovated room! The pool areas were great - the adult pool being a place where you can chill out and relax as the hotel expects low levels of noise around this pool and children are not allowed. The family pool, with pool/snack bar, played music all day and had a wide range of activites on offer for everyone (speed pool, darts, football, water volleyball, water polo...) with the organiser, Andy, being funny, welcoming and a great entertainer. He encouraged everyone to join in but was polite and respectful if you declined. The dining area was spacious and clean, the food on offer exceeded my expectations, but got a little repetitive as the week drew on - try the beef stroganoff; it was to die for! Everything was fresh and hot but was a little to english-ified, it would of been nice for some more traditional greek meals maybe. The evening entertainment was always fantastic - when Andy was working - on our last night there was another man, who we didn't catch the name of, that was having all sorts of problems with his equipment and was a little too persistent with trying to encourage you to join in. Andy had the whole crowd laughing and was great with the kids. The staff at reception were always very polite and helpful, especially in the early hours when we had come back from "the strip", needed sleep and there was a lot of noise next door! We did go sight seeing a little; Kalamaki beach is beautiful, as is Smugglers Cove. We mainly got around (to places further a field) using taxis, they were all reasonably priced and spoke good english - but they do drive like maniacs so be warned! The main strip in Laganas is full of bars, restaurants and clubs; but I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't want to be pestered by the club reps as they will stop you every five feet with a drinks offer. During the day, the strip has many great little shops fo gifts or souvenirs, but they more or less all sell the same thing so try and shop around for the best prices. On the whole, we all agreed that we loved Laganas and that it was a brilliant holiday. My only downside was the the bar staff were quite rude and one in particular was very ignorant and always in a foul mood! They would not let us order a round of drinks for our table, despite us all be all-inclusive guests of the hotel, and yet when a table of 'couples' went to the bar, they had no problems serving them two or three drinks each! I got talking to another lady at the bar who had come with her family (14 of them) and the bar staff would not serve her drinks for the adults, yet the table over, had two couples staying, could order as many drinks as they liked. If you're going in a group or as a family take note of this, it happens every night and can result in long waiting times at the bar.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms. Much nicer and more modern than others.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Margarita for 10 days on all inclusive and it was the best holiday we have ever been on! Altogether there were six of us, me, my BF and two other couples all aged 20-21. We initially wanted a clubbing holiday but only ended up going onto the main strip a couple of times to Rescue bar as all the other bars were full of drunken underaged teenagers! The hotel itself was beautiful, our room was recently renovated and looked like it was a 5* room, the dining hall is nice and modern and the room was cleaned every day. The only bad thing about going all inclusive is that the food is a bit repetative and you are given a table number that you have to sit at for the entire holiday, so you could end up sitting with strangers. The only downfall to the holiday was that the hotel mainly consisted of noisy teens that came in from clubbing at 5 in the morning screaming and shouting, this only happened to me and my BF a couple of times but one of the couples we came with had this problem every night! Overall it was a great holiday and we would definately go back. (ps. if your booking through a travel agent, ask for a renovated room, they are sooo much nicer than the others)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple