“Couldn't have got better!”
Review of Spyros Studios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laganas
Spyros Studios
Ranked #13 of 68 Specialty Lodging in Laganas
Reviewed February 8, 2013

17 friends and I stayed at Spyros Studios for a week last July/August 2012 and i cannot recommend this hotel enough. It was our first holiday alone without parents so understandably, we had a few nerves. As soon as we arrived we were warmly welcomed by Kat&George, who throughout the week were fantastic! They obviously put alot of effort into keeping guests happy and they are partly the reason why we all had such a fantastic time.
The food is good and fairly cheap and the drinks are alot stronger at the hotel so our nights out remained pretty cheap! The rooms were basic but clean but on a group, teenage holiday, this was ideal. Although it's a fair walk from the strip (15-20minutes), we always felt safe and happy.

After visiting a few other hotels on our stay, we all agreed we had picked the perfect accommodation, as although it's a bit smaller, it was the cleanest and had the nicest atmosphere!
Would absolutely love to go back here! 5/5

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Ellie B

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This has taken me a very long time to review here but I was 17 when I went...

Me and 5 friends came here in July 2007 for one week clubbing holiday, and absolutely loved it. Cannot fault it at all! Very clean - pool perfect size. And because the hotel is fairly small the pool was never too busy.

We found it sometimes too hot to walk to the beach so got a taxi (easily) outside the hotel. I think there was a fixed price of 5 euros anywhere on the strip but I could be mistaken. During the night when it was cooler we walked to the strip easily - I think it took us around 10 mins - but again because it was so long ago it might be more or less than this. We never felt like the hotel was too far away though.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Me and my friend went to Zante in September 2012 (16th-23rd) and were glad we chose to stay at Spyros Studios.

Spyros Studios offers very basic accommodation, but it is very clean and me and my friend found that we had all that we needed for a week of self-catering. Kat and George, the owners, are so friendly and welcoming and full of conversation, whether it's giving you useful tips and advice on where to visit on the island (or stay away from..) or for drinking games in the evening!

The pool is a great size and was always very clean. There were plenty of sun loungers too.

It is a good 15/20 minute walk to the main action of the strip, but this depends how fast you walk. You can always order a taxi if you are feeling lazy (or are too drunk to get back)!

Loads of choices of restaurants but some are not that great and will throw numerous offers in your face for you to eat there, I'd stay away from these as they aren't as enjoyable as restaurants such as Paradise which is opposite Spyros Studios. If Dennis reads this..your restaurant is fantastic and me and Eleanor loved meeting you! (strange girls who did the macerena on the wall). Definitely eat there! Fantastic food and service.

I recommend visiting banana beach by bus ( ask someone along the strip where the bus stop is ) it is free to get the bus there and an amazing beach!

Amazing clubs/bars, you'll have a fun night out wherever you go.

Book excursions yourself by visiting the different shops along the strip and getting the best offer, your reps will charge more and it wont be as good.

Have fun!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2012

we stayed at spyros studios 31st aug-6th sept 2012. The hotel is exactly what you need when staying in zante, the rooms are basic and clean, maids came twice during our stay.we were on the bottom floor so had a large balcony,which played host to many of our parties (sorry george) there is a mixture of ages here so keep it down after 12, thats normally the time you head out anyway so it wasnt an issue. Kat and George are fantastic and cater for everyone! george isnt one to turn down a good drinking challenge,we have the evidence! Kat is more the happy to whip you up a cocktail to waken you up after partying haha!
the only down fall was the distance to the strip, we were expecting a 10 minute walk, its moe like a 25, which is knackering in the heat but bearable in the night, taxis are only 6 euros back anyway! the hotel is very clean, and the pool sie is spotless with plenty of seating,kat and george are really laid back and let you get on with it really, georges dad is always there to greet you at stupid oclock when you come stumbling home!
If your as stupid as us you will end up with redicuous henna tattoos, DONT GET THEM ON THE SHEETS! the maids will charge you! it was only 20 euros but at the end of your holiday this normally means sacrifising your last meal:(
would deffo stay here again, met some amazing people, and was so welcomed, as our first clubbing holiday it was fantastic!
see you next year kat&george, we will try and keep it down this time haha,
Lucy and Leah (room 14)

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms have the biggest balcony and no stairs for when your stumbling home!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at Spyros Studios for a week in early September 2012.

Spyros is a basic hotel but the rooms were clean, it has a nice enough pool area and we never had any trouble getting a sun bed. As early risers we would have liked the pool to be open earlier though.

The hotel is located on the main Laganas Road so its VERY noisy at night. Would have preferred to have been closer to the resort centre as the levels of noise would have been similar and Its a very long walk, even to the start of the strip.

Unfortunately we had a three hour wait for our room on arrival even though it was well after check-in. Hotel owners Kat & George were friendly though, welcoming enough and happy to give you information about the island.

Supermarket just around the corner which was convenient and you can eat at Spyros or across the road at Paradise with 10% discount. Airport just 20 minutes away so no long transfers.

Shame about the lack of entertainment in the resort in the early evening. Things only seem to get going after 1am. Wasn't much of an atmosphere and many of the bars were empty, if not closed down.

Wouldn't go again, by no fault of the hotel; Zakynthos / Laganas just isn't our scene.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was our first ever 2 star break, we wanted a cheap deal to Greece and this was the only way we were going to get that, so booked about 3 days before we were going to go (we had been looking for about a month hoping the prices would drop but they didn’t, the better hotels held their price until no availability was left then the other hotels put their prices up)

The Spyros (pronounced Spear ross) studios are used to accommodate Olympic Holiday guests, we booked this as a package holiday and paid £220 each for a week which included our flights, accommodation, 15kg luggage and free transfers, we travelled 27th Sept -4th Oct 2012.

On arrival at the Spyros apartments you will go through the gates nearest the bar area, you will need to go to the bar area to check in and get your keys to your room, George and Kat will be there to help you. Check out of rooms is by 12pm, we had our transfer pick us up at 12.30pm for our 3pm flight home, so it was ideal.

The Spyros Complex

The complex is made up of 2 blocks, the block we stayed in had 3 floors, with 4 rooms on each, there is a car park so if you do hire cars, quad bikes or motorbikes you can park them for free in the grounds. (We did get 2 days car hire for €50 to include 3rd party, if you get additional insurance its €8 a day but covers you fully if you have an accident, do shop around for prices there are a lot of car hire places, make sure you give the car a once over before you leave the forecourt and point out to them any damage so that you won’t get charged later, 2 days car hire was a bit too much as we done all we wanted to do in one day, we went completely around the island to all the points of interest, they will not take the car back and refund the other day). The bar area and swimming pool are located between the 2 blocks, the pool has one shallow paddling pool and one pool which is deeper, around the pool are sun loungers with a few umbrellas being available, also a couple of table and chairs, the bar is next to the pool up some stairs, you are not allowed to take glass around the pool so will have to be given plastic glasses if you want to enjoy a drink whilst sun bathing, you are also not allowed to drink or eat items bought from anywhere else, only drinks and food from the bar is allowed in the pool and bar area, at the bar area you will find tables and chairs under a covered canopy, there is a big screen to watch the sport on and a few chairs around the bar itself, there is also a small pool table, I think it was either €1.50 or €2 to play although if it had of been free we probably would of spent more money at the bar as we would of liked to have played a couple of games whilst out there but never stayed onsite. The bar does do food although I never ate there I think it is about the same price as the rest of the strip €5 or €6 for breakfast, they do burgers and other café type food. The drink prices are also roughly the same as the strip €2.50 for a pint of Mythos, (other lagers may vary so do ask what the prices are if you want to work out your budgeting), this local lager was recommended to us by someone on our flight, they said it was the best lager and they were correct, it is also 5%.

Studio rooms

We were located on the 2nd floor room 20, we had a balcony that faced the road but being on the end we also had the view of the pool and bar area from our balcony. The door to the room is opened and locked using a key which has a device on which is used to operate the electricity in the room, this can not be taken off, so when you go out at night or in the day you will have to have a big enough pocket/purse or bag to put it in, it’s not massive but I would imagine its uncomfortable if in the pocket. Once inside the room if you look just inside the door on the left there is a place for this fob to locate, place it in there straight away so that you have power to the room, although our fridge was using electricity it didn’t seem to be effected by us not having the key in the fob, our water in there remained cold even after returning after a day out.

The studio has very basic utensils/cooking equipment, 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 mugs,2 glasses, 2 each of all the cutlery, 1 frying pan, 1 pot and a milk jug, that is it, there is no utensils for the frying pan, no tin opener, no kettle, no toaster, no large serving spoons. Having said about the milk jug, we used this as a kettle and boiled it on the 2 ring hob, the only thing that lets this kitchenette down is the fact that you do not get any space for preparing you breakfast/dinner/tea unless you use the draining board which was not ideal really, it would also benefit from having a few more things in the cupboard to help with cooking a dinner/breakfast, there is however adequate storing space for any items you may buy at the supermarket.

The water does take a while to run through warm so do be patient, I do think that it is a waste of water but there is obviously a reason why.

The bedroom area of the studio leads off the kitchen it has 2 single beds a bedside cabinet, a built in wardrobe and a small dressing table with stool and a large mirror above this for doing hair/makeup, the furniture has seen better days but is fine for the 2 Star rating, the wardrobe did smell a bit musky, but my clothes never picked up this smell, the wardrobe does have hangers, whether every room is the same I don’t know. The safe can be located inside the wardrobe, which is not free, I think it might have been about £10 for the week but I can’t remember as we did not used, it is key operated though so will be a further thing to carry around. The balcony leads off the bedroom, it has 2 french style doors that open up inwards, and some slated wooden doors that open up behind that outwards, do be careful as these do not secure onto anything and could swing shut smashing the glass doors, all breakages do have to be paid for and the glass does not look strong, by looking at the panes all ours looked like they had recently been replaced, thankfully we did not cause any breakages as I am not sure what sort of price we would have been charged.

On the balcony you will have 2 plastic chairs and a table to sit at, there is also a small washing line to dry your bathers etc.

The bathroom is back through the bedroom and opposite the kitchenette, it has a sliding door on and is really quite compact, it was fine for the time we spent in it, the bathroom has floor and wall tiles and would pass as an out of date wet room, the shower will make your floor very wet and slippery and if you are slightly larger in size you might find it even less pleasant using as it is not the best. The shower does have a curtain but the design of the shower means that the curtain moves when water hits it and the water just goes mainly of the floor, there is no room for a shower door so understand why they have a curtain instead. The shower is operated using mixing taps so you can have it as hot or cold as you want, however the taps are at waist height and so is the shower head so you will need to hold it in your hand to wash higher, a holder on the wall would have been helpful.

Towels are supplied, 2 medium sized ones and 2 smaller ones.

Tip: Keep a pair of flip flops handy for when you get out of the shower, you can dry your feet off in the shower and step into those rather than on the wet floor, also take your washing up sponge and some washing up liquid with you, buying it out there will eat into your beer money, you won’t need a whole bottle so why buy one!

The room will get cleaned, we had someone come round twice whilst we were there for the week, I am not sure if they mopped the floors but I think they swept up, although we were pretty tidy anyway, they changed the sheets and made the beds once which was good, then the second time they came they just done the bins, (tissue is not to be put down the loo as it blocks the pipes, this is standard in Greece) although we hadn’t expected them for a second time so had clothes on the beds, maybe they would of done the bed again if we had not?, the only downside of the cleaners coming in was the fact they accidentally took my towel from the balcony when they tidied up, it had been out there drying, my towel was bigger than theirs and although it was white (same colour) it had blue markings across the bottom, I was gutted as I always take my own towel on holiday to use after showering, fortunately my partner was using theirs so I used his one he brought with him, I did mention to George at the bar about what had happened and was hoping to get it back but I heard no more about it.

Location
The complex itself is on a main road, the brochure says that some road noise will be heard, this is correct so if you are a light sleeper take your earplugs with you, it is a busy main road in and out of Laganas. When you come out of the gate by the bar onto the road if you head left it will take you down to the main strip of Laganas stay on this road if you also want the beach, it is a long walk to get you to the main bars but there are the odd bar on the way if you get a thirst on. I knew about the distance of these studios before we went as I read the reviews on here, it is a long 15+ minute walk to get to the beginning of the good bars, maybe 25-30 minutes to the beach, and I was speed walking (in the heat). I didn’t find this a problem for me as my partner and I hadn’t been looking for anything loud as a base, note that we were off season, this hotel may be louder when busier. Just around the corner from the Spyros there is a small mini market, there is also 2 more larger ones about a 10 minute walk away, one if you go right from the hotel this is the Agrilia (main pick up point for trips if staying at the spyros) and another if heading left down into the strip, this is called the dias, this is newer looking and sells cold lagers, spirits, bread, milk etc, it also has a fresh meat/cheese counter

The walk to and from the hotel is ok, there isn’t as such much of pavements and it is not that greatly lit up at night, but as long as you stay on the main road home you shouldn’t need a torch as recommended by someone else, however, if you think you would like to take a short cut home or you want to deviate away from all the bar reps and go off the main road you will need one, you can still see but it might make you feel safer, I did try the side roads one night, was a bit of a mistake, it does take a lot longer to get home, there are no lights or pavements and we saw a snake on the road, we decided to take this route as we were fed up with people trying to make us go into the bars and restaurants, they at times did make us feel a bit awkward.

Where would I recommend
Relax bar- main road left hand side if heading down from the hotel – Angelina made us feel really welcome, they do karaoke, they have a DJ, they have a small pool table €1 a go, there is plenty of room to sit down, they also have a small dance floor. The drinks are €2 pint of Mythos and cocktails are priced at €2 as well, they do not sell food but it’s a bar that opens in the early evening and there are plenty of places to eat anyway. ( I do believe they are changing things around for next season, the DJ said they are fitting another bar in nearer the front of the bar and he said they were thinking of having free pool, this I think is a very good idea as no one else does this, if you are playing you are drinking)

Café Del Mar – located on the beach – if when you get to the beach after walking down the main strip you go right instead of the usual left that people seem to do you will find it about 10 bars/restaurants along (the owners also have a bar called Med Version a few places along from Café del Mar) Café Del Mar is a pub which serves food (nice food) it has seating inside and out and is right on the beach, the seats outside vary and is on a raised decking area as is the bar itself, you have deck chairs, normal table and chairs and also things that have cushions on (you could probably lay down on these as it’s that type of seating, but it’s just for sitting with your feet up) if you want to sunbath on the beach outside you can use their sun loungers for no charge (may change throughout the summer months I don’t know), it is open during the day and at night, the beer is €2 and they cocktails are €2.50, we ate here several times for breakfast and for food in the evening, the staff are lovely, I really liked what this place had going on as sometimes it was playing light chill out music (sort of the morning after music), other times it was slightly faster music, nothing hectic or loud a totally different place from the rest of the bars, it is the furthest one but you will not get hassled here, you will have to get past the other bars first though.

Med Version – this is more of an evening venue for eating, Sunday’s and Wednesday’s they do a Traditional Greek night for your entertainment, you can enjoy your meal whilst watching them do their show (they might get you up so be prepared), the restaurant is lovely and is done out very nice, it is on the beach and you can watch the sun go down, the owners and staff are really nice, the food is good too, we had a romantic meal here, they made us feel very welcome.

Fantasy bar – located not on the main strip, we found this bar the last night of our holiday but wished we found it on the first night, it was great, they show the sports in there on the large screens, they have a pool table and football table, the owner gave us free tokens to play, I believe they also do karaoke but we did not hear anyone singing, they do play music and they gave us free shots, as do most of the bars around Laganas, it used to be a restaurant but still does serve food, it is done out very nice and is clean, both the owners were very nice and pleasant, google the bar for more more info.

Places to avoid

We found only one and we never read any reviews about food before we went, this is our own fault, but never being to Laganas before we didn’t know what it had to offer. PLEASE AVOID the following restaurant.

The secret of taste – We only weakened and went in to here as we were badgered by the restaurant worker every time we went by, he promised us free starters, money off and desserts on the house as well as drinks, finally the last night of our holiday came and we decided to go all out and have a romantic meal just to finish the holiday on a high – this was not to be the case.

The man seemed pleasant enough, this finished by the time we took our seat in the restaurant, he never came back over, after waiting for about 10-15 minutes we were asked by a waiter if we wanted a drink, which we both decided on Mythos which we asked for, then we were given menus, I had already seen the prices outside on the board but looking at the prices on the menu they seemed a lot dearer, more so than any other restaurant we had visited, we had already ordered drinks so was too late to get up and slip away, we opted for mushrooms in a white sauce and tzakziti served with pitta bread as starters, chicken with garlic and steak with garlic for our mains, these had chips and rice served with them (small portions). The waiter took our orders and went off, he came back with cutlery and then asked if we would like any garlic bread or bread and butter, which we assumed would be complimentary as we had already choose our meals, so we opted for some garlic bread, which was a mistake.

When our starters finally came out the tzatziki was ok, the ‘assumed free’ garlic bread was like a brick and was totally inedible, if there had been pigeons there I think they would of broke their beak trying to eat, it was obviously stale and could of easy put a window through no problem. The mushrooms had no sauce over them, they were not in white sauce, and they were disgusting! They tasted of cheesy fish, a combination that I never want to taste ever again in my life, but the worst was to come… a black hair… yuk, it could possible of been the longest pubic hair in the world… I sit here remembering and I am shaking my head in disgust. The beer was not Mythos as we had asked either, I took a bit gulp to clear the taste, it was not horrible lager, but when you ask for something you hope to get it. The mains were basic, in England I would pay £5 for it and have unlimited salad cart to go with it, at this restaurant there were no sides of anything and it was €10 (I may have been happy to pay €5), we ate our mains as we were hungry and politely asked for the bill.

There was no offer of free desserts as previously offered, there was no discount, we had been charged an extra €5 which we think must have been garlic bread, all in all it cost us €40 and we only had the one drink. This was the dearest meal we had on our break (£32 English money) and it was the worst, we regret stepping foot in the place and hope people do not make the same mistake.

We did not leave a tip so hopefully this will help them understand that all in all it was all crap.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Portsmouths_Finest
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I went for 2 weeks on my own as a relaxing time out, kat and george were fantastic i had coffee every morning with georges dad antonio it really was like i had found a family away from home so welcoming and friendly i had lovely walks and met some lovely people i am going back again next year this really is my secret get away and my second family

• Stayed: August 2012