“Misleading”

Ranked #74 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Scotland
“Misleading”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

stayed here for 4 nights in july 2012 with my partener. Booked via Groupon deal. First time doing anything like that. sadly as a result I did not do my usual review checks! The builing is very nice. The pool is very nice and the breakfast was good.
I guess the disappointing features as that the pictures used on the website are maily of Fira and not Kamari. This is misleading.
The room was not as nice as expected. had I paid the full amount, i would have complained. The walls were woodchip which is a bit old fashioned. The welcome bowl of fruit consited of a rotten apple and a copuple of oranges. hardly worth the mention. no welcome drink.
the area outside the room was lovely. Great for taking pictures.
The staff were very helpful in booking excursions and the trips they arranged were some of the best we have ever been on. i tend to do these things off my own back and it was lovely to have it all arranged. They deserve a 10/10.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LozWhittz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at The Thalassa Resort last September, my brother was getting married and all the family stayed there. I have really thought about this review and am being really honest. I had read lots of bad reviews prior to travelling so i upgraded my room twice with travel rebublic. I had emailed the manageress also to let her know what i would be expecting and requesting a decent safe room as i was staying with my 2 and half yr old daughter. On arriving it was a short taxi ride from airport and lovely location on the beach. Check in was very slow and my room was not ready. When i got in the room i had to decline it as it was unsafe for my daughter as it had a long staircase right through middle of room!, next room was small, damp smelling and depressing, finally i got a great room with perfect view i was happy. Then that night realised the shower did not work, had to shower with my daughter in my parents very small room for two days, this obviously would not be acceptable for the wedding day with everyone getting ready.
Eventually it was fixed!. On the whole i loved my room. The breakfast is terrible and the same thing every morning, very sweaty grumpy chef. I did not eat lunch or dinner at the hotel. There are lots of great restaurants a short walk away. The pool is lovely but not enough space around and not enough beds. The beach is not very nice and most sunbeds were broken! The cleaning was very good but the place is very shabby and nearly everyone had a problem with something in the room, but the place does have charm and very pretty also much better location than among the bars and restaurants in Kamari. The planes do fly right over and very low but that really didn't bother us. The long and short of it is the hotel is badly run and needs an overhaul but i can't say i wouldn't go back, it serves a purpose in a good location and is charming in structure, as long as you are not expecting a luxury hotel then you will be ok, and request a sea view suite or executive room, do not book standard room as they really are terrible. Santorini is the most beautiful relaxing friendly Island and i loved it and can't wait to visit again. Weddings in Santorini are out of this world.

Room Tip: Sea view suite is the only way.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank cookie5107
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First time to Santorini last September. We actually booked a package tour and specifically asked for a 5 star luxury hotel. We feel we were mis-sold this holiday and were almost in tears when they showed us our room which was dark dingy tiny and we wouldn't even step in the shower tray. The executive room which we had booked was occupied and we were promised it the following night. We spent all second day with suitcases in reception and no room. Great start! We paid £2600 for week rip off. The suite was bright and airy but rusty air con unit was tied up with fraying string and there must have been 20 coats of that blue paint!!! Pool was small with not enough loungers and second pool was neglected. The food was very poor and the beach bar was very badly stocked. The beach wasn't pleasant and was difficult to get into sea. The best bit was that the start of the runway is about 50 metres away.you coul see if the pilot had shaved or not,the noise was terrible. Don't do it!!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a good one. All of our fellow guests were complaining. The only plus side...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Verity123

Travelers are raving about these Kamari hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I spent several days in Santorini this past May/June. I can honestly say I believe the Thalassa Resort made this vacation as enjoyable as it was.

Having never been to Santorini, I did not know a great deal about the island or how to get around. The staff at the resort were incredibly kind and knowledgeable. They gave us maps that showed places around the island to visit, to shop, to eat, etc. In addition to this practical information, they made the island real by telling us the history of the island. The staff also arranged getting a 4-wheeler for us so we could get around the island.

The resort itself is beautiful. There are not adequate words to describe the beautiful sun rises and sun sets you see from this resort. The whole area is peaceful and walking distance from town. The breakfast provided each morning was delicious. The rooms are large and nice. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kathleen D
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had been stayed in the hotel for one day and they had shifted us to another hotel in FIra which is also 4 stars due to the thalassa hotel was going to close. The hotel they had offered really bad with noisy and small room because it is in front of main road. I loved thalassa hotel. It is clean, good view, relax and very friendly staffs. The breakfast and dinner were very good. I went on low season the plane was passed by us very few times and it was few seconds on our head only. It didn't spoil our mood of holidays. It would say thalassa is not really bad as I have seen from reviews. It worth for me to visit again. one thing I not satisfied was we had shifted to another bad hotel on next time. Thalassa should be rated 5 from us. I removed 1 point from the new shabby hotel offered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zhixuen
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in in Greece! The rooms are shabby and in need of updating, the mattress stained, sink cracked. The lunch menu is the same as dinner with little choice and bland food. Breakfast was a joke, not even fresh juices, cold food when it should be warm and staff that dont care. We were all inclusive but were allowed only one drink at meal times. no other drinks included.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Paul M
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

After two difficult years looking after sick parents, this was going to be the first real break for me and my husband. I found this offer on Groupon, and thought that it would do the both of us good to get away in the sunshine for a week. Not having used Groupon before, I was advised by my daughter to speak to the Hotel before I brought the deal to make sure that the dates we were looking to go would be available. I telephoned and spoke to Elina, who spoke excellent English, and she said that she would speak to the manager to check the dates and get back to me within 24 hours to confirm. This she did with confirmation that my dates would be fine.

I bought the deal, and then looking on Tripadvisor (I know it's the wrong way round, but as I said before, I am new at using Groupon, and Tripadvisor). After reading some of the reviews, I was, to say the least, extremely apprehensive about our holiday, and thought that I had made a big mistake. I mentioned the planes and the quality of some of the rooms to my husband, who was just looking forward to a week away.

We had no transfers arranged, but were greeted by a taxi driver at the airport who said he would charge us €15 for the trip. We took him up on his offer and off we went. Upon arrival at the hotel he helped carry our bags to reception.

Elina was on reception and offered us a welcome drink whilst we registered. After completing the registration paperwork, a porter was called to take our bags, and we followed him to the room. Still very nervous about what I had read, you can imagine how delighted I was when he showed us to a lovely room (number 46) on the ground floor overlooking the pool. The room had a small terrace with two chairs and a table and was tucked in the corner, so not too overlooked. In the room there was a large double bed with bedside tables, a sofa, two dressing tables, one with a fixed hairdryer and a chair, and a double wardrobe with drawers under. There was also a television, but we didn't even turn it on during our stay, so couldn't comment on that. Behind an attractive curtain there was a sink and a fridge. To the side, behind a sliding door, was a small but adequate shower room. I know that the shower area was not fantastic and each time you had a shower the water spilled over and ran onto the floor, but that is why there was another drain just outside the shower area, and by my experience of Greece, this is the way they do it.

We quickly unpacked, changed, the weather was about 28°C, a lot better that the 9°C we had left behind in UK, and went off exploring. We took the 10 minute walk to Kamari, where we found a variety of restaurants, shops, supermarkets, car hire places and much more. Yes you do walk across the pebbled beach, which, with flip flops, is a bit uncomfortable, but if you don't like that you can always use the road to get to "The Strip", which will take you a little longer I understand, as we did the beach walk at least once a day. It was good exercise, as we did spend a lot of our time trying the local food and wine.

As it was coming to the end of the season, so some of the restaurants and shops were closing for the Winter, but there were still plenty to choose from. Over the week we saw a lot more restaurants close, but, there were still our favorites left to eat in. Speaking to the staff, most of them will be closed by around 27th October.

I can understand that in July and August it is going to get very busy both in the hotel and also on the island itself, but my advise would be, if you want to get to the sunbeds either by the pool or on the beach before the others, go in late September/early October. The weather will be bearable, and you will get wonderful service from all the staff at the hotel, as we did. We were looked after very well in the bar and restaurant by Agatha and Giamis, and also the lady who cleaned our room, not sure of her name, it was either Tania, Ludmila or Vasilis. Each day our bed was made, all the towels and shower mat were changed, and it was dusted and the floors mopped. The sheets and pillow cases were changed at least once during our week's stay, and a bowl of fresh fruit was left on our second day.

Finally, I must mention the planes. Yes they do fly very low over the hotel, but, as the write-up says, you are only 4K from the airport. We counted them one day and there were only 8 planes that landed during the whole day, the first one at about 9.30 in the morning. You only hear them for about 10 seconds as they make their approach, which in the whole scheme of things, is not long. I would rather be able to fly directly onto the island, putting up with a bit of noise for a minute or so a day, than have to take a ferry from the mainland, spending about 8 hours on a boat.

To sum up, a lovely hotel, very friendly, helpful staff (the light over the dressing table went one morning. I mentioned it to our housemaid and within 5 minutes, maintenance had arrived to change it). I couldn't fault it and we will definitely be going back next year in either May or October, and neither of us can wait.

Room Tip: Room 46 very good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Sue C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Anemos Beach Lounge Hotel
#23 of 75 in Kamari
Sigalas Hotel
Sigalas Hotel
#31 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Thalassa Sea Side Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!