“Perfect”

Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Kamari
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a small family run hotel, basic super clean accommodation . Husband and wife team. Jannis provided transfers from airport and to port, he took us to a beautiful winery to watch the sunset, nothing was too much trouble. Sheets and towels changed every day. Breakfast was simple bread cereal juice etc, and lovely to sit by the pool area each morning. It's a 5minute walk to the beach and there's a car hire shop beside the hotel. We cannot express how much we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere here it was like staying with family and if we ever visit santorini again we will definitely stay at Atalos Villas. We were given a gift on departure. The pool area was lovely and relaxing. Only great things to say about our stay, we recommend this hotel for anyone wanting inexpensive clean convenient accommodation

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stepho64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Myself and my wife came to santorini for a friends wedding and chose Atalos villas by reading reviews.I dont book a holiday unless the majority of reviews are positive,and i am pleased to say that the reviews were understated because we found it even better than expected.Giannis and his wife Irina were always on hand to take care of any problems you might have.The hotel was in a quiet area but close enough to kamaris main shopping and eating areas [5 min walk].The villas were clean and tidy,with the rooms cleaned and bed linen changed each day.The a/c was free and with the summer heat very welcome.I can thoroughly recommend the Atalos for families and couples.

Room Tip: if you like a lot of space choose a family room which are about twice the size of the basic rooms bu...
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked here for a friends wedding. There were quite a few of us (47) all staying in different parts of Kamari. My friends and I picked Atalos villas. Have to say weren't disappointed. I had quite a lot of correspondence with the owner/manager. As booked apartment and flights separately. A very polite helpful man. His family run the apartments and they were all a pleasure. helpful and willing. When I first got in touch to enquire I was told I didn't need to pay until arrival or departure! This of course initially made me nervous as to whether I would have a room waiting for me on arrival. I did :)
We emailed as requested the night before with flight details and we were met at the airport (no waiting) and taken straight to the apartments. We were given a courtesy fresh orange juice, along with a map and directions of the nearest supermarket and where the beach was ( 2 mins walk away) if that. Then we were taken to our rooms. I shared with my 2 friends. It was basic but super clean and fresh. We had all we needed and more. A little hob, (never used) found the food and restaurants in Kamari to be fresh delicious and not over priced. We had a kettle utensils washing up liquid toilet rolls. Hair-dryer and air con and a safe. What more do you need :)) Fresh towels every other day and bedding. Cleaned apartment every day. Great bathroom. Shower was powerful enough and water always hot, Bathroom door didn't lock but closed efficiently enough. Iron and board were provided at request. Pool and poolside were lovely clean and continental breakfast was always fresh and ample. We did find an Irish bar round the corner which did a very tasty full English when only a full English with do. The price we payed included the transfer to and from the airport. And any excursions were also available to book with the manager to. (highly recommend the volcano hot springs and sunset) great adventure, Donkey rides not for faint hearted but great fun!
As I said we had lots of friends stay in different hotels/apartments in Kamari. Some higher star ranked and pricier some along the beach, For what we wanted we picked the right place. Would I stay and Atalos villas and apartments again? absolutely! Kamari is Beautiful place not yet spoilt. Friendly people. Delicious food. And lots of fun.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank likeitspotless
Roskilde, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were guests from August 2nd - 9th. We were picked up at the airport by the management, despite arriving at 2 a.m! We stayed in room nr 1 which is in the ground floor near the main entrance. The room, consisting of a master bedroom, entrance with bed for one, kitchen (with small kitchenette and refrigerator) and bathroom, was spacious and impeccably clean. From the veranda, there is an ocean view despite the hotel being 800 metres from the beachfront. The staff were very friendly, happy to offer any advice and assisted us with car rental at a decent price. The swimmingpool is a good alternative to the rocky black stone beach of Kamari. The breakfast cost 5 euro pr. person, but could perhaps be a little bit more varied. The room's kitchenware was perhaps a little too basic for making a decent dinner. All in all, we feel that Atalos was very good value for money with a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere with a good mix of families and couples. We have no reservations recommending it to others.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Excellent experience, the owners picked us up at the bus station in Thira, showed us around in Kamari before bringing us to the hotel. We stayed 2 nights in a studio, recently renovated, beautiful, spacious room by the pool, bathroom in very good condition, but what we will remember is the warmth and the hospitality of Jannis, who even drove us to the airport at 5.30 am! Thanks and all the best!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Have just returned from 11 nights at Atalos Villas which is ideally situated close to the beach,restaurants and bars.This a a good base for exploring the island with easy access to local transport.
The rooms are very clean with daily change of linen and towels.There are some thoughtful touches in the room provided by the hotel ie a small supply of tea and coffee.
The service provided by all the staff is first rate.
The hotel owner,Giannis & his family go out of their way to ensure every single guest has a marvellous stay,providing seamless transport from the airport,information on excusions and even taking us to Santorini Winery at his own cost.
A thoroughly enjoyable relaxing stay at Atalos Villas.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carol S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have just got back from 2 weeks at Atalos Villas and we had a fab time. My husband and I travelled with our 2 children aged 3 and 8 months, and other family members (we were there for a family wedding).

The hotel is perfectly situated at the airport end of Kamari, in a quiet location but 5 mins walk from the beach and sea front restaurants etc.

The pool area was very nice, always sunbeds available and it was usually very quiet despite being high season - probably due to he beach being so close.

The first 3 days of our trip were during the power cut so not the best start, but Giannis did his best to help us all out, including finding a rare bottle of fresh milk which he offered to us for the baby. He also kitted us out with candles and lighters.

He also drove us (and lots of other guests) to the stunning Santos Winery to watch the annual fireworks display on the volcano. I think he had to make several round trips to get everyone there and back and he wouldn't accept any payment from us.

I have to be honest and say we were disappointed with our room when we arrived. However Giannis moved us as soon as he could (3 days in), and my disappointment was largely due to me having misunderstood the description of the room I had booked.

I had booked a "2 room apartment" which I wrongly assumed would consist of a bedroom and a living area/kitchenette with a sofabed. This was important to us because we wanted a separate room for us to relax in after the children had gone to sleep. The room we were allocated had all 4 of us sleeping in the same room (a double, single and travel cot). The second room was tiny with a kitchenette (sink and fridge) in one corner, an integral shower room and a very small wooden table, It was more like a hall/porch and there was nowhere we could sit comfortably. As I said, Giannis did move us to another apartment which had 2 large rooms - one bedroom for the children and another room with a double bed, kitchenette and sofa. It was perfect and much more what I had expected for the price. We also had a balcony and a terrace area we shared with the apartment next door (conveniently belonging to my husband's parents) where we ate our breakfast and lunch.

We didn't have the hotel breakfast as we preferred to make our own.

Apart from the room issue, my only other negative is that the pool bar was often unmanned/ closed and there were many times that we wanted a drink while we were around the pool or when we returned from dinner, but couldn't find anyone to serve us one!

General points about Kamari/Santorini:

Don't rely on taxis. There are only 30 odd on the whole island and we and other members of our wedding group found ourselves stranded at times because there were no taxis available. We braved the bus once to go to Fira, it was absolutely packed. We squeezed on but no-one offered us a seat for the baby and as the bus pulled away after we boarded, my husband was vicariously balanced on the bottom step hanging out the door while holding our 8 month old daughter!

We also braved the water taxi to go to Perissa to the waterpark. Again, not ideal for the family, we had to wait 40 minutes for it to come, then to get on the boat we had to wade out to thigh high water (very difficult to stand up on the stones) and climb up. Getting the kids and the pushchair on was quite a feat and again, the waiting would-be passengers rushed to get on in front of us, meaning we only just squeezed on and had to sit in direct sunlight with the baby as all the shaded seats had been taken.

The waterpark was really small - I have stayed in Spanish hotels with bigger swimming pool areas. But it was quiet, good value and the kids loved the splash pool and mini slides. Food was ok too.

There are lots of restaurants in Kamari and we went to about 14 of them during our stay. The food was pretty similar at each one, very nice with main courses ranging from €10-€20 in general. Drinks in restaurants and bars were really expensive (albeit much stronger than UK measures). Spirit + mixer was about €7 and cocktails more like €9-10. It was cheaper than other parts of the island we visited though.

There are lots of supermarkets although we only found 1 which sold nappies and none that sold any kind of baby formula - so travel prepared.

We would probably not have chosen Santorini for our holiday if it weren't for the wedding as it is not known for being a very child-friendly destination. But we had a great time. The locals really love children and the regular low flying planes overhead provided no end of entertainment for our 3 year old transport-mad son!

If we ever go back we would probably stay at Atalos again, although I would be sure to clarify exactly what type of apartment I had booked beforehand. My husband's aunt and uncle have already enquired about returning next year.

Room Tip: Clarify with the owner exactly what you have booked as I think that rooms with the same price/descri...
1 Thank Lucy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Stelios Place
#3 of 40 in Perissa
Cavo Bianco
Cavo Bianco
#3 of 77 in Kamari

Been to Atalos Apartments & Suites? Share your experiences!