“Highly Recommended”
Review of Tamarix del Mar

Tamarix del Mar
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in September. We got married while here and wanted to stay somewhere different than the rest of our guests. This was the perfect place - a beautiful and spacious apartment, a lovely pool area, a nice breakfast, limited numbers of guests as it's a small place so you get a lot of privacy, great staff - especially George the barman!

They allowed us to bring all our guests into the resort to the bar (14 people) and we used this as our meet-up point a number of times. The reception staff were always very welcoming - and they assisted my father-in-law (who is in a wheelchair) when he visited. After our wedding, we came home to a bottle of wine in our room as a gift!

The only one criticism if I was looking for something would be that there is not very much clothes hanging space or drawers for your clothes - nor a place to put your suitcases out of the way - but it's a tiny point as everything else was wonderful!

1  Thank Sarah A

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We took a one (only) week holiday a couple of weeks back and it was just perfect. It's quite a small hotel with just 25 rooms which is what we wanted. Our "room" was upgraded on arrival to a two storey apartment with a great view. The staff were great but I must commend "George" who ran the bar but also seemed the "go to" guy for everything else too. He worked so hard but was always there to mix a rare cocktail or two. The housekeeping staff were brilliant as was the front desk and the breakfast team. What was also nice was that the other guests were pleasant, not just my fellow Brits but the other Europeans too. The location was excellent, near but not on the beach and surrounded by really good restaurants.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Hotel is 10 minutes from the airport, we paid 18 euros in a taxi to get to the hotel rather than waiting for the coach - money well spent.
The hotel was as expected, really clean and tidy, pool with very clear water, free pool towels that you can take to the beach with you, free wifi, friendly staff, good selection at breakfast that ran to 11.30am - both healthy and the usual cakes, fry ups etc.
If you are looking to workout - don't book this hotel for it's gym - there is one treadmill and one cable machine that looks like it's seen better days - you are better going for a jog along the beach.
Kamari as a resort, it has a nice beach but at nighttime it is mainly centred around eating out. There are lot's of restaurants and lot's of people trying to get you to eat in their restaurants. If you want a more lively resort then look at Fira.
Would recommend hiring a vehicle to get out and see the island - it is so small you can drive around it in a day. We visited all of the beaches with the nicest being on the south of the Island in my opinion. I felt that a week was definitely enough for me in Santorini, any longer than that I think I would have been bored with not enough to do.
We stayed in a Junior Suite on the ground floor, there aren't a lot of rooms in the hotel and I agree with previous comments about the hotel overbooking. When we arrived, we were offered a free upgrade to a superior suite for 3 days and then would have to move or we could have the room we had booked and payed for - we decided to take this option - I did ask if we could pay for an upgrade for the week only to be told there were no rooms available - however a couple of hours later, the newer guests that arrived were all given free upgrades for the whole week - go figure? We were then asked 3 days before going home if we wanted to move to another hotel on the Caldera side of the island - from reading previous reviews I knew what this was about and so we declined. This is the only reason I have given this hotel 4 stars - they need to sort it out but for every other aspect the hotel is perfect and you will definitely enjoy.
PS The ice cream (gelato) counter on the corner at the beach is amazing :)

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel is lovely. Great breakfast, comfortable suites, lovely staff. I would not hesitate to stay again. Kamari itself has a lot of lovely restaurants and a nice beach, but we made sure to rent a car for a few days to take advantage of the lovely other areas on the island, which we enjoyed thoroughly. Really great holiday.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We arrived and were shown to a poolside ground floor room, which while very nice, wasn't what we expected (from the website/brochure) so I asked at reception if they had any higher rooms with maybe a balcony. The lovely Georgia was very helpful and said if we stay poolside the first night, and then (suffer) and upgrade at their sister hotel (with stunning views) for one night, then a suite would be available. So on day three of ten we have in our opinion the best room in the complex.
Georgia has been really great and helpful and funny, and George the barman has also made the stay fun.
Kamari is really really good, good for food, we heartily recommend Meli & Thamari (Honey & Tyme) good for swimming and snorkelling and fantastic for scenery right at the foot of the magnificent mountain Mesa Vouna, I climbed it three times base to peak.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are better, most have a mezzanine and the personal Jaccusi is on the roof almost an...
1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I don't often write reviews but after staying at this hotel very recently, I felt that I had to!
My husband and I stayed in a junior suite which had everything that you needed. It was very clean and the staff very friendly. The atmosphere and ambience of the hotel was fantastic. The pool was small but with the beach just being a few minutes walk away this was not an issue. There was plenty of sunbeds available and the bar and its food good and the breakfast was excellent.
This hotel could not be faulted, nothing was too much trouble to the staff, who were helpful. The resort of Kamari was excellent with plenty of tavernas. One taverna in particular was very good - "Alexander".
This hotel and resort had been recommended to me and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and resort to all of my friends.
There are not enough superlatives to cover this hotel.
Would my husband and I go back - yes at the drop of a hat!
A wonderful hotel - small but beautifully formed!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just returned from Tamarix del Mar staying in a junior suite which was excellent, very clean and well equipped. Good atmosphere around the hotel which was very well run by friendly staff. Delicious breakfast (both hot and cold food) in either lovely a/c room or outside. Only problem was a shortage of sunbeds which was due to towels being left on unoccupied beds.

Room Tip: Opt for a first floor suite
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Cavo Bianco
Rocabella Santorini Hotel & Spa
Hotel Matina
Hotel Matina
#19 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Tamarix del Mar? Share your experiences!