“Pretty and comfortable but falls short on info and service.”
Review of Aegean Plaza Hotel

Aegean Plaza Hotel
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Aegean Plaza and probably wouldn't return to this hotel. The hotel location and feel is lovely overall but we felt there were a few things that made this 4 star hotel feel more like a 3.
Check in was simple, we were given a key to our room and told the breakfast times. That was it. We got to our very clean, simple and pleasant enough room to find absolutely no information about hotel services or the hotel itself. I've never been to a hotel and not at least found a card with telephone info or which number was the one to call reception!
We had to ask about the safe, whether there was a key or a deposit for it. As it turns out, they just give you a key. Why this wasn't issued at check in, I don't know. I think you are able to borrow beach towels from reception as we saw someone collecting some. Either way, we weren't given any info about this. The TV in the room only has one channel which is in English, which was CNN news and even then, it was the only channel with no sound for 5 of our 7 days!
We weren't told about WiFi services, again, I had to ask. On the plus side, the room was cleaned every day and fresh towels and sheets provided.

Breakfast is served between 8-10am which is fine but if you don't get there early, it becomes very busy, chaotic and the hot food will be cold food. There is a good selection of food but the stress of so many people just milling about pushing to get food and then finding a table was a massive issue for us.

The main pool area is nice but be warned... if you don't find yourself a sun lounger before 9am, you wont get one. There isn't enough loungers for the guests in the main area and we found loungers with towels on them for the majority of the day but nobody on them. We went to the hotel's second pool which is across the road and found that we pretty much had the pool to ourselves for the majority of the day which was a huge bonus.

The staff we found, weren't that friendly apart from the bar staff by the pool. They were really nice but the other staff around the hotel seemed to be pretty straight faced and didn't seem that happy!

When we checked out, we were just told, "that's done."
No "we hope you enjoyed your stay" or "thanks for staying, we hope everything was to your liking."
It was a pretty blunt end to the stay.

On a whole, we think the things lacking were purely service and information based. The hotel is fine if you're looking for a base to stay and will be going out for the day or using the beaches then this is a great place but if you are staying half board and not looking to leave the hotel, you might find a shortfall in the information and services available. The hotel is pretty and comfortable with great access to the beach, tavernas, local transport and shops.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about all the info you might need when you check in as it wont be volunteered or p...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotell/Resort at Kalameri in Santorini. Perfect for families, 3 pools, top of the line - breakfast. The staff is incredible. DO get to know CHRIS in the poolbar - he is probably the most charming bartender/service guy ever, no matter who he attends, grownups or if the kids are 9,12 or 18 (which ours are). 100 meters to the Beach area where there are probably at least 80+ bars/tavernas/restaurants and plenty of "life" for a family with kids. If we return to Santorini we will definetly stay at this hotel again! Recommended !

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Totto321
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have just returned from a week in the Aegean Plaza and can't speak highly enough about our time there. The rooms, pool and cleanliness are excellent - in fact the brochure pictures do not do it justice. Check-in was smooth and we had a great room overlooking the pool. Room was spacious, very well maintained and spotless. Plenty of sunbeds even when the hotel seemed full. Best of all was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff who couldn't have done more for us. Unfortunately I had a couple of health problems whilst out there and every member of staff we spoke with could not have been more helpful. Just one example is that the lady who cleaned our original room (I had to move to the ground floor) came up to me and asked how I was every day. Even a move of room proved absolutely no problem and was done in less than an hour thanks to a super efficient young lady on reception. Amazing! I cannot speak more highly about the people and the hotel. Don't hesitate in booking a stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Captain_Haddock42
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Lovely hotel, great location would come again if I had the grand children with me or if it was not school holidays,but unfortunately not that good it your a couple in your late 50s as it is quite a small hotel with one small pool in the Center witch means no relaxing :-( as when we went for a week in July it was full of children enjoying them selfs but in such a small area you were constantly watching for flying beach and small water ball and listening to children crying and parent shouting at there children, :-( I do understand children need to have fun on holiday but unfortunately with there only being one pool and all the rooms were around the pool so even if we retreated to our room we had to shut the doors due to the noise.
I had read the reviews and all said that food was cold! I thought if your clever you go 1st thing and eat while it is still warm:-) but sadly it come out cold lol so I just had toast as that was warm lol.
The rooms are large and clean and also have a fridge, but you need to take your own kettle. Kamari it's self is fantastic very laid back,
every where along the beach did nice food, our favourite was the sea view restaurant :-) also if you ate lunch at the sea view restaurant you got the sun beds for free saving you €10

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel was amazing, we where in room 121 right in front of the pool! Excellent facilities excellent staff great food!! 1 minute from the beach!! I would advise to go here any time!! Can't wait for our next visit!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Billielovessantorini
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've travelled around the world a lot, both on holiday and business, and seen my share of hotels but this one is really one of the few I'd give a 5/5. I visited this hotel mid-June 2013, with my friend, we had two separate studio-apartments which was clean and quite modern. Even a LCD-TV of perhaps 24" or so. Clear reception of good international news channels like RT and CCTV-News, but they also had CNN if one for some reason or other would rather prefer to watch this. At any rate, one should really not need to watch much tv while on vacation other than to catch up on current events just before going to bed.

The bathroom even had a large tub in it, which I found very relaxing. Always took a steaming hot bath in the morning and then a quick shower.

The cleaning lady came around 10am, at my room, but she would wait if I wasn't ready. If you're not ready until after 3pm though she'll return the next day. She was very friendly, and her English was good enough. In the reception area and also in the restaurant they spoke very good English and the bartender spoke excellent. Of course they all had Greek accent, but there was no problem understanding each other either way.

This hotel is situated very close to the beach and the "strip" with all the bars & restaurants, but there's hardly any noise at all. Not even from the pool-bar which closes around midnight depending on how many is there. 1am at the latest. A very quiet hotel, which is nice. The price of food and beer at this hotel are actually the same as or cheaper than on the main strip. Quality of the food is good, though the breakfast was a normal standard one.

When you are there be sure to befriend the bartender Kristos, he is really a cool guy and very friendly. Also when at Kamari be sure to visit the club/bar Ethnic in the evening, excellent place with good music and friendly staff. Also the restaurant Alexander which is a few streets back from the beach. The food there was just excellent. More expensive, but just worth it. Live Greek music in the evenings as well.

Down at the beach outside a restaurant called White you can get massage from a guy called Kostas. 30 Euro for 30 minutes but it is worth every bit. He was very professional, recommended.

I went with a friend, but I would also recommend this to the solo-traveller. You will not feel alone here, both at the hotel and in Kamari. I, for one, will return to Kamari and Aegan Plaza again for sure. Best holiday of my life!

Room Tip: Did not see all the rooms, but the range 331-335 was excellent. The 2-room apartments are in another...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stefanaki-Nightstorm
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding, never been to santorini before. Having read all the great reviews we chose to stay here and it really did match our expectations. Great size bedrooms with decent balcony size.. top floor is definitely needed as ground floor have limited privacy. 3 pools to the hotel making it easy to get sunbeds each day, swimming pool bar very handy and great food at great value for a hotel! Breakfast was really good and kamari seafront being a few mins walk away.. ideal location. Very clean hotel, rooms cleaned with fresh towels and bedlinen every day.. only slight downside is cleaners can be round quite early incase a lie in is needed. However the hotel is a great pick!

Room Tip: Top floor Pool view
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple