“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 77 Hotels in Kamari
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

42 of us came to stay at the Mediterraen Beach Hotel some of our party were in the Med Palace Hotel which was up the road not a problem . I did book a sea view for 3 of us which we could see if we went on tip toes !! The food was excellant i found the staff really friendly especially the two Vickys on reception they helped us a lot with our plans for my daughters wedding everthing went really well and staff were very helpful when it came to rearranging tables to accomodate our party as we not only had a hen party we had a 50th and a 21st birthday all in all a very good experience

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

A quick note about the island of Santorini before my review for this hotel; Santorini and Thira, it’s little perfectly formed, capital, is a MUST see destination on any travelers list. I would happily say the island has a safe position in my top ten places to visit. And also, you don’t need very long there, due to the size of the island, 2-3 days is more than enough time...

The problem I have with this hotel, either the Mediterranean Beach Hotel or the Mediterranean Palace Hotel, and this is highlighted brilliantly by the mixed reviews already here, is that everyone has a completely different opinion on their stay at these conjoined establishments. The rooms and staff are so dissimilar in terms of service and quality, frustratingly so, that out of all the 41 guests in my sisters wedding party, that stayed here a few weeks ago, each one could probably give a totally different review, ranging from annoying little problems up to larger more important ones, plus average and good assessments could easily bestow this review site.

In terms of a holiday and what we needed the hotel for, it was perfectly ok but personally I wouldn’t return. Sure some of the staff were friendly and pleasant, and the location, space and access to the beach and pool suited our large group perfectly well, but the problem I had was the consistence and lack of detail in looking after us. If you made yourself open to chatting to the staff they are very friendly, but this was one way I felt, they didn’t go out of there way to make sure you was having a good day or if you needed anything - I guess some guests may like the reactive, leave me alone, approach rather than proactive, is there anything we can do for you, approach. I think the word I’m searching for is hospitality, or lack of it, and actually a few us felt this was true for all the parts of the island we visited, almost not geared up for tourism, so it just could be a Santorini thing. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I, and many others, didn’t feel looked after enough (for a 4 star hotel), and small things like the all inclusive deal ending at 10pm, and the fact you could only get one or two drinks at a time from the one barman puts a strain on a large party at the end of the evening.

Running my own business, if I knew I had 41 customers turning up in one go and the potential is high for 41 bad or good Trip Advisor reviews, I would go out of my way to aim for the latter. Granted they did small things that helped, airport and town transfers and re-organising the dining room areas for our large group, but I think any hotel I’ve stayed at in the past would have done that for such a large party. These two hotels are rated as 4 and 5 star hotels, the Mediterranean Palace Hotel is the 5 star, even though you have to walk down to the Mediterranean Beach Hotel for dinner (a short walk, but still, an odd set up and obviously something that doesn’t lose you a star) - I think I would rate the one I stayed in (Mediterranean Beach Hotel) as a 3 star hotel (compared to some 4 star hotels I’ve stayed in before this one is a little way off). Of course it’s possible that this is a 4 star hotel in Santorini but not the World - without staying at all the others on the Island it’s hard to say, and of course it depends on your traveling experiences in life already as to your point of view - and that is all I can base it on myself.

I guess to sum up this review - I wouldn’t go back to this hotel because I tend not to return to any travel destination I’ve been to before, unless it is outstanding. I would return to the Island, maybe as a day trip, as I know I would throughly enjoy seeing it again, with the infamous white buildings with little blue domed roofs, and of course that amazing sunset!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Arollingpebble
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. The food was excellent as were the staff. The rooms were nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. We went to Santorini to get married and the whole experience was like a fairytale.
There was an initial mix up with our rooms but the hotel manager and his staff dealt with it swiftly and to our benefit.
I have read some of the negative feed back here and I couldnt disagree more. In my experience if these people had a problem they should have relayed it to the manager and he would have dealt with it asap! Both Angelo and his staff are very proud of their hotel and the service they provide.

I would highly recommend this hotel....in fact we will be returning next year for our Anniversary.

Thankyou so much to all at the MEDITERRANEAN BEACH see you next year

LOUISE XX

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are stunning
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank lulu25370
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We went to this hotel in June 2013 and our stay began horribly. They gave us room 172, which was horrible - hardly a 2 star room even for Greek standards. All the furniture was old, scratches, missing paint, full of stains. The bathroom sink, toilet seat, shower: full of rust and limescale. The shower button was broken. The hair dryer was dirty, the air conditioner was dirty and when I switched it on dirt started falling down (small pieces of soil !!!). The air conditioner was positioned so badly, that you could not use it while you are in the room - it blows directly on the bed.
They have plastic soap and shampoo dispensers glued to the walls. You can see in the attached pictures how clean they were. This is the first time I see a 4 star hotel using such things (only saw them in public toilets, like supermarkets, etc). Room 172 also has a big vase with some dried flowers in it. They were full of dust. I believe there was dust from 4 years on those. The TV remote control wasn't working and you could not turn it on ( no on/off button on the TV which looked like it was made in 1980's).

There were some drawers in the closet which seemed to have dead cockroaches wings in it.
And yes, there were other travelers which repeatedly reported cockroaches in their room and yet they did nothing.
The cleaning ladies are not doing a good job at all. I went to the reception to complain about the level of cleanliness in the room and they called in a cleaning lady: she came with a broomstick and a mop - only water. No cleaning substances at all. And they didn't used it the entire stay also. As one can imagine, when you go to a hotel on the beach you normally will use some sun screen. Which is almost always greasy. They never once cleaned the sink with proper substances. We left - the grease stayed behind us, for the next traveler to <<enjoy>> it. Even the front desk furniture is old, and the white paint is fading away. We were given another room which luckily was a lot better. Smaller, but better. At least we could use the air conditioner, it was upstairs so it had a very small balcony with a small round table and 2 chairs (all metal).

Moving on to the restaurant - we stayed for 7 days breakfast was the same during these 7 days. No fresh fruits, no fresh juice. Boiled eggs, omelet, fried eggs, some fried bacon, 2 types of cheese, 2 types of baloney, tomatoes, cucumber, some stewed fruits, cereals, 2 types of yogurt, bread, jelly, jam, butter. Machine juice, machine coffee. Not that good. The bread was good. Generally the food was OK, but didn't show like there was any effort in making it. Everything seems faded. No labels - not even for the meat. The coffee cups and their small plates were 50% dirty. The waiters also do not have name tags and they don't seem to mind arguing between themselves with customers waiting to be served at the bar. Paying customers- we were half board, so we paid for all the drinks. The coffee from the bar is much better than what they were serving for breakfast, BUT you need to sit at the bar ( despite the bartenders effort to ask you to go back to your chair - telling you they'll deliver it to your seat) so that you make sure they don't give you something else. Wait at the bar, especially for fresh juice, so you can see them preparing it. One night they had some singer from Miami ( or so he said). He was soooo bored, so tired, it would have been better to just play the songs from youtube.
The bed & pillow sheets were full of stains and low quality.
There is no other restaurant / tavern near by. The location is a bit awkward. There were 2 taverns in the area: Mario and Galini: good food, decent prices but rather uncomfortable to reach without a car. You could go by foot but the road looks so deserted it makes you wonder where the hell you landed...
The only good thing was Vicky from the reception ( morning Vicky - taller one, which is more fluent in English than the shorter, thinner Vicky).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank zyzy t

Travelers are raving about these Kamari hotels

Paderborn, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

First of all I want to warn you all that the review I am writing about is the Mediterranean Beach not the Mediterranean Palace- this is the 5 star hotel about 200 metres up the road - make sure you don't book this by mistake- some had and were not happy as they thought they had booked the Med Beach- right now to my review.

I have just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Med Beach in Kamari. We arrived and were greeted by the lovely Niko who took our bags- we were greeted by a big smile at reception - booked in and were shown to our room- this was lovely- 3 rooms just for two of us!!! The reception staff are really lovely and hugged us when we left.

The hotel is in a wonderful location right on the beach- it is beautiful and very in keeping with its environment. The pool and beach areas are lovely. We really enjoyed relaxing by the pool and listening to the relaxing music and sound of the sea.

The food was very good- especially enjoyed the outside grill at lunchtime and at dinner. Our only little moan is that the food was often only warm- but we found it all tasty - especially the puds.

We went All Inclusive and would recommend this option- however the choice of alcoholic drinks is very limited to wine, beer, brandy and ouzo. However there is a good selection of non- alcoholic options. As we enjoy a G and T or two we were disappointed!! Though the white wine was very good. Also as it finishes at 22,00hrs ! One annoying rule was introduced when we were there and that is you can only have one drink at a time- you can't go to the pool bar and get 2 drinks for yourself and your friend lounging by the pool!! This is because not all guests are AI and some naughty Russian AI guest was giving non Ai guests drinks!! Now we feel this rule might change because so many guests complained.

We went in to Kamari twice- we got the hotel bus there and a taxi back. It is a lovely resort with lots of restaurants and bars. Our favourite place was Fira- WOW WOW WOW- once again we got the hotel bus there and the taxi back- it was wonderful watching the sun set with a cocktail or two. Oia is also very beautiful- the Island is stunning.

All I can say is that we were sad to leave and can't wait to go back. We met some lovely people from Stoke who were there for a wedding and the staff were all lovely- restaurant manager only exception!!

Book this hotel and you will have a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: ask for one with a sea view- make sure they don't put you in the Med Palace
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank HappyHolts
Sundbyerne, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here in September 2012. Had a great room with partly sea view. The food in the restaurant was extremely good and plenty. Pool and beach area immaculate clean and nice. And at night very cosy and romantic. All in all a great place. The service in front office and restaurant was extremely high and professional. Main bartender seemed a bit tired and worn out.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Henrik H
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel,with my wife,from the 4th of May for eleven nights on the all-inclusive package and we both had a wonderful time.The hotel is marvellous and the staff even better,nothing was too much trouble for them in making our stay as pleasant as possible.

The food was varied and enjoyable, even whilst catering for a multi-national clientele and the dining room overlooking the Aegean towards the neighbouring island of Anafi was perfect.The pool was nice,plenty of sunbeds around both the pool and the beach,more than enough to go around.

The room was more than adequate,but there were no tea-making facilities,we knew this in advance so we took our own travel kettle,coffee and tea-bags,we both like a hot drink when we wake up.The TV was typical of when you are abroad,only the BBC World Service in English but hey who goes to Santorini to watch TV?

One slight negative is the hotel is a little isolated and not much else nearby except Market Louis,but the hotel has a mini-bus service running to Kamari or Fira if you fancy a change.Market Louis has free wi-fi and there is seating available outside for a drink or snacks,you buy a bottle of wine or beer from the shop,wine 5 or 6 euros, a bottle of beer 1.40 euros and drink it outside.The shop does not provide glasses so borrow a plastic pool-side glass from the hotel,this makes for a pleasant change and the owner is more than helpful and friendly too.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone considering a trip to Santorini,a truly wonderful place to visit and explore.

Thanks to all the staff at the Mediterranean Beach, from Fred and Fay Beach.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ok,but the ones near the pool are a little better as you are nearer the restaurant...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Freddy1957
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Afroditi Venus Beach Hotel & Spa
#11 of 12 in Akrotiri
Adamastos Hotel
Adamastos Hotel
#9 of 12 in Akrotiri

Been to Mediterranean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!