“perfect hotel”

Hotel Matina
Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We loved everything about this hotel! The hotel feels quite new, is spotless, beautifully situated with a fabulous pool and poolside lounge area, very quiet and relaxing. The gardens and greenery are beautiful as are all the little details. Eating breakfast on the veranda surrounded by flowering trees.
The hotel staff helped us to organize car rental for a day and a day trip to the volcano and hot springs on a boat. Our rental car was delivered to the hotel and we drove up the switchback to ancient Thira (it is right across the road from the hotel). It is a long steep drive back and forth to get tthe the top then we had a hot hike to the top of Thira and conveniently could stop back at the hotel for a swim before heading out in our car to see the island. Renting a car on Santoroni is perfect, it is small enough to tour in a day, stop along the way and ee the fantastic views, and end up at Oia to see the sunset. We found a fantastic little beach and bar called "The Wave Bar" for lunch.
Taking the bus into Thira was easy and cheap $1.40 per person. but the area around Kamira is also very nice to enjoy for an evening, walk along the boardwalk to see the shops and restaurants.
We really enjoyed our boat tour day, it actually picked us up right in front of the hotel. I would look into a tour with a smaller group next time as several boats were following the same route and it was a bit busy but okay, the hardest part about the larger group was that the tour guide announced everything in so many languages that she was always talking away on the speaker -until we dropped most passengers off at Oia at tthe end of the day. I would not choose this option myself as you get dropped off with a few hours to see Oia and the sunset but you have all of you daygear to carry and we were already very tired in the heat. Seeing the caldera from the boat was fantastic (the wooden boats are actually quite beautiful) and the ride back to port after dropping the others at Oia was the most relaing part of the boat trip.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Matina

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Yes, that is how I feel about arriving at the Matina Hotel. This was my
third visit over the years and as always it is a pleasure to see the
Matina family again. This year my partner & I arrived during a very
intensive heat wave hitting the island. When we discovered our A/C had
gone kah-put soon after we set up camp...we were quickly moved into the
room next to us which was quite a relief. Our favorite room #18 had the
A/C repairs done the next day and we moved back in without any
inconvenience really. I shouldn't tell everyone on TA that room #18 is
our favorite. I know that will kick me in the butt eventually and I
won't be able to get it when I want it next time...so I am certain all
the other rooms are fine...don't go hogging #18 Ok! One thing about #18
and probably #19 next to it...during June (at least) you can see the
full moon over the mountain view outside your balcony...gorgeous (ok,
now forget I said that about room #18!) By the way, a good tip is to
book during a full moon on any travels...it affords you extra light to
walk around in dark areas plus it's just plain pretty to look at where
ever you are!
Now a good majority of reviews have hit the nail on the nose talking
about the great breakfast spread that Matina and the girls make in the
morning, how Vasso is ready to help you with any concerns for
reservations, and Mr. Sigala is your go-to guy for transfers from the
port and airport. Matina is also meticulous about arranging your ferry
tickets if you need them and having them in hand when you are ready to
go. Vasso, Endy and niece Zoe have very sharp computer skills and are
there to help if you need assistance with sharing news/photos with you
family in emails or Facebook (believe me, Zoe is a pro at Facebook!)
Mr. Sigala is a walking encyclopedia of information on fauna, food,
and drink. He can recommend the most amazing places to eat...say Galina
for seafood, or Metaxi Mas for the best saganaki on the island (if not
in the world) and chances are, he'll go with you! Don't miss an
opportunity to join him for a glass of wine up in Pyrgos at Santos
Winery...it's a real treat for the soul & for the eyes at sunset. If
you're thirsty, Maia and Dimitris can handle your requests at the pool
bar and while they are mixing up your refreshment, do take a look at
the beautiful artwork etched into the tiles scattered around the pool
area...they are lovely and that added touch you so often experience at
this family run Greek hotel...a gem on the island of Santorini!
My stay at Hotel Matina was to be for one full week (June 16-23),
unfortunately I was waylaid by heavy winds and couldn't get a ferry to
Mykonos (nothing to do with the strikes). I got stuck at the port and
dialed SOS to Matina and Mr. Sigala came running to get me! I had just
spent a good part of my morning telling everyone goodbye at the hotel
and then...like magic...I was back, telling them "kalimera" again for 2
more days! Yes, I got stranded in Santorini and had just enough time
for Mr. Sigala to take me to the best saganaki taverna in all the
island and he didn't disappoint me. Please do try Metaxi Mas...but make
ressies because the locals love this place and it gets busy.
One more family member you will meet is Hara...the doggie. She is a
sweetheart but very camera shy. The pictures of all the staff are on
Hotel Matina's Facebook page so check them out and you will be able to
match a face with a voice...more personable I think. You will not
regret your stay here and the $$ you save being on the Kamari Beach
side versus Caldera side you can use to go shopping or drinking or
having a nice fish meal at Galina's taverna! The hotel is situated
about a 5 min walk down to the bus stop...not much further to the beach
and an ATM. Also at the beach is boat transfer around to Parissa beach
(4E one way pp) or you can take the bus there (cheaper but longer).
Loungers rent 2 chairs with umbrella for 12E for the day at either
Kamari or Parissa. Some bars let you have the loungers in front of them
free if you buy a drink so check that out. Bus fair to Fira is 1.40 E
and 1.40 more to get to Oia (one way). You have to get to Fira by bus
to catch another bus to Oia (same back). Buses are easy, cheap but they
can get crowded so go with that attitude and try to bring change.
You'll pay once you are on the bus.
The Sigala family can help you with tours...like one to the volcano
for a day (pretty neat, did it in 2008) and get you tickets. They can
also help you with rental car...and if you do get a rental car, don't
miss a beach I just found out about this trip...called
Vlyhada...WOW...don't miss it! I don't think you can get there easily
by bus so if you have a car...go! Also don't miss Red Beach and have
lunch at Dolphins taverna located on the left side before you reach the
parking lot for Red Beach...terrific atmosphere to lull away the
afternoon.
Ok, I can't give away all my secrets, you'll just have to go and
discover some yourself. Oh...did I mention seeing the village of Pyrgos
by car also....hmmmmm, there I let another idea slip out. Have a great
time, eat some saganaki for me and remember, don't hog #18, especially
in June! OPA!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank CGodez
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The Matina is everything you would want in a hotel, everything was spotlessly clean, the staff were all amazing and couldn't do enough to help us. And the location was perfect, set off the road to allow privacy and a very short walk into town. The pool area is beautiful and Dmitri is awesome :)
Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone, it was gorgeous.

1  Thank Hannah_C2010
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I would higly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a gorgeous, boutique hotel experience with attentive staff, that's value for money and in an excellent location. The rooms were spacious, well appointed, rustically decorated with Greek charm. I could get a babysitter when requested and the staff were ready and able to assist with tours, transportation etc. Breakfast was great, as was the pool bar / snacks. Fantastic hotel:)

Reviewed July 10, 2010

I stayed here for four nights at the end of May, 2010 (I originally booked for two, but saw no reason to leave after that!). As a solo female traveler I was naturally concerned with safety, but I felt entirely safe and well looked after by Vangelis and his staff. They went out of their way to be helpful. As others have noted, the hotel isn't on the beach but is a couple of minutes' walk away, and you'll pass some nice shops and places to eat along the way. The stop for buses heading to Fira and Ia is a block before you hit the beach, and the bus for the Ia Sunset tour I booked at the front desk picked me up right outside the Matina. The room was all I needed - basic, but quiet, clean, cool, and very comfortable. The pool is a nice place to lounge at, with a full service bar, and the complimentary breakfast with homemade breads was an excellent way to start the day! I would certainly recommend it to other solo travelers like myself.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I cannot speak too highly about this hotel. We stayed for two weeks in June 2010, and the owners and staff did their best to make our stay a memorable one. The friendly atmosphere rubs off onto the guests and we met some very nice people who were regular visitors to the hotel. The hotel has a beautiful pool area and pool bar, where were spent several lazy days on the very comfortable sun beds. The rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean, and are equipped with a fridge. Breakfast is taken on the terrace and is typical of this size of hotel. Cheese, ham, eggs, yogurt, melon, honey and breads are on offer, but sadly no fruit salad. We shall certainly be returning to see our friends at the Matina Hotel..

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Where to start? The Hotel Matina is fabulous. A friend who had been to Santorini previously recommended the Hotel Matina to us and we are very grateful. The hospitality of the Sigala Family is second to none. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The breakfast that they serve every morning was a great way to start the day. They can help you plan trips around the island and even take you if that is what is requested. The family and staff involved with the hotel ( Vasso & Ender, Matina & Vangelis, Maia & Dimitris, Valentina & Mihaela and of course Hara & Susie) are always more that willing to help make your stay very pleasant. Thank you all for making our stay very memorable. The O'Neal family will be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Atalos Apartments & Suites
#5 of 75 in Kamari
Smaragdi Hotel
Smaragdi Hotel
#3 of 40 in Perissa

Been to Hotel Matina? Share your experiences!