“Lovely hotel but high location.”

Antinea Suites Hotel & Spa
Ranked #33 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just got back from Antinea yesterday and thought I'd forward a review. A few niggles first. Our aircon worked but didn't appear to go above the lowest speed. Not a big problem as there was generally a breeze up there so opening the door and windows did the trick most of the time. The bath can be quite slippery so you may well need to use the handrail part of the soap-dish to stop yourself slipping. Finally, my wife said the hair-drier got very hot to hold quite quickly and she has fairly short hair. Niggles over.
The room was attended to every day and seemed very clean. The general areas of all the hotel actually seemed very clean and tidy.
The staff, from reception, breakfast, bar and cleaning staff appeared very polite and helpful.
We were in a basic room (607) on bed & breakfast and overall I was very pleased with the range of breakfast food although I'm not sure about the scrambled egg. There was a good range of both hot and cold food. I thought the greek yoghurt was possibly the best I had ever had as it was thick and creamy. The honey was kept in a quaint pourer. There was a large bowl of fresh fruit which although not replenished daily, offered a good range.
Take your cup from the table to get yourself coffee from a machine; push the button and a set amount is dispensed. I found the milk tasted slightly different so I only used a little bit.
As a general point, be careful as you are walking as there are steps up and down where you may not expect them especially if you are talking to someone. I wasn't the only one who nearly went flying at the small 'step' as you go into the buffet area, just where you give them your room number. Be aware of it. None of this takes anything away from a lovely hotel. I'm glad I didn't go for a Jacuzzi room. They didn't seem very private and I doubt if I would have used it much.
The hill to the hotel does take it out of you and we were always pleased to have made it but we also liked the exercise. If you have health problems though, this may not be the place for you.
I found the internet worked best in the reception area. No chance in or around my room although we were far away from the reception area.
Just a few general points about Kamari. Save money by using the beds and umbrellas at 'The Hook Bar' which are free if you use their bar/restaurant. We paid 8eu for the beds on our first day but by using 'Hook' that covered two large beers or a chicken gyros which was lovely (including chips) and they are happy to serve it up one between two which was ideal for us. The girls there are very friendly too. Look out for the dog in sunglasses on the motorbike!
As you get to the bottom of the hill from Antinea, the right turn there can be very steep and slippery if you have leather soled shoes.
We found the restaurant 'Honey & Thyme' (or something similar) was excellent. The staff were very good and they are very proud of their organic red wine which I have to say was very good. They give you bread and a few dips and as the portions are large, you may not need a starter.
Finally a little tip for your return flight. We were on Easyjet and had to queue for some time to book our case in. Once you book the case in, don't hang about in the airport cos there isn't much to do so we went over to the bar/cafe over the road. I logged on to Easyjet using the bars' wireless network and they said the flight was still on time - but it wasn't and there was an hours delay as it got in late. We could have had another drink instead of waiting to get news of the flight.
I hope this helps. We had a great time in Kamari and found the Albatross bar a good late night haunt.

Room Tip: Depends what you want. We were happy with a basic room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank muppet3

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The staff are superb and standards of cleanliness are excellent. With the pretty environment and good food, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I believe that only 3 rooms are suites though and these are the most expensive rooms .The rest are large hotel rooms with a sofa not suites. The same applies to rooms with Jacuzzi in the bedroom. We were upgraded from a junior suite to a junior suite with an outside Jacuzzi but honestly, I think all the rooms have a Jacuzzi or pool. As such, the rooms are overpriced. It's a shame because it's a great place.

Room Tip: Only the most expensive suites are actually suites - be sure to get a price which reflect this
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Last year i reviewed the Epavlis hotel in Kamari, Antinea is located almost next door and i have to say, a complete difference in rooms, attention to detail, environment, and the greeting i received was warm and welcoming. The hotel Manageress even paid me a visit by the pool and asked how my check was, and was my room up to standard. The hotel is located beneath the elegant giant historical mountain which divides Kamari and Perissa.
Santorini is known for its amazing sunsets, but the sunrise view from my hotel room was breathtaking. I would highly recommend a stay at this beautiful hotel, an amazing outdoor Jacuzzi, a great selection at breakfast... you wont be disappointed. Thank you Darryl Clarke

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DC98
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were given a wonderful room with an outdoor jacuzzi which was fantastic. I thought the backdrop of the mountain behind the hotel was just breathtaking, and one of the highlights of my stay was looking up at the rockface as I was drinking my early morning cup of tea.

Breakfast was buffet style, and there was lots of choice. Dinner was usually a mixture of local and european dishes, but once again there was alot to choose from. All of the staff seemed courteous and polite, eager to assist and always smiling.

Room Tip: Very well situated on a hill above the hustle and bustle of Kamari
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank deec924
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Antinea is a great hotel, with very nice rooms. Ours had the hot tub in the room with large sliding windows over looking the sea. We thought we were getting an outside terrace and tried to exchange rooms but the hotel was fully booked.
Considering the hotel was full we never had a problem getting a sun lounger at any time of the day. Breakfasts were fine plenty of choice. We had half board the meals were from a buffet hot plate and had been prepared earlier that day. They were ok !! better save money and walk into town if you have that option. Wifi was hit and miss in the rooms.
Would i go back yes. B & B with a outside terrace.

Room Tip: Outside terrace with pool if possible
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Orchardmews
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a relaxing week-long break at the Antinea Hotel where we had a complimentary upgrade to a room with it's own pool. Great things about this hotel: It is very well situated, only 5 mins walk to Kamari beach with lots of great bars and restaurants. It is quiet and peaceful with each room feeling quite private (no slamming doors, kids running around or noise in corridors like you get in many of the big Med hotels). The grounds and rooms are well maintained and the staff are friendly and obliging - always willing to go that extra mile. We received complimentary wine, water and fruit in our room which were replenished regularly. The staff were also keen to help with restaurant reservations, car hire and information on excursions. Areas for improvement: The breakfast offering was limited and of poor quality. My husband and I were always fairly late getting down and it was clear that food was put out at the start of service and not replenished (fried eggs which were hard, cake which had gone stale in the heat etc). It was so poor that we ended up having breakfast out and with all the great bars and restaurants around I definitely wouldn't suggest anyone books half board. Finally, although the rooms were clean and well maintained, they were basic and I wouldn't have rated them as 5 star. This is definitely a 4 star hotel. Overall, a good experience with room for improvement in some areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nikki27102016
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We spent a very good time at Antinea , we booked a room with an outdoor pool , the room was amazing , relaxing and very unique in the morning and at night , we just came to the room and it was well prepared with a nice gift and fruits , a special thanks for petra she was ready to help us with anything, she is really amazing , the hotel was in a good location 6 min walking to reach the beach and resturants , also it would be great if you rent a buggy , you can ask the receptionist about it costs 15 € per day , but dont forget your international car license , then you can go up to the mountain until you reach a very nice view , the hotel was really cozy , buffet was delecious , the only thing you have to ask for is to clean the outdoor pool several times a day , cause it gets dirty very quickly, so they clean it in the morning , and in the afternoon you have to ask the reception to send someone to clean it , one las thing don't forget to take some of the black sand from the lovely beach,its really so weird and amazing , you can use it for some decorations in your home , I love it , enjoy !!!

• Stayed: June 2013