“Spartan Stars - Sunbed Silliness - Spiros Solutions - Simply Sensational”
Review of Hotel 28

Hotel 28
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Herts, UK
“Spartan Stars - Sunbed Silliness - Spiros Solutions - Simply Sensational”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Are the owners, staff and support crew REALLY that good - as you've already read? Well yes, they are.
Is this the way every holiday hotel should be run - with guests considerations first and last? Yes it most definitely is.
Can I really add anything to the ever growing mound of superlatives building here on Trip Advisor? Not really.
Getting up at 0530am to "towel up" your sunbed of choice. Is that mad? Clearly. But Spiros assures us that by 2014 the 28 room hotel will have at LEAST 29 double sunbeds - so if he delivers - no problem on that score. And that would be my only negative. Well maybe breakfast wise - for me it could be more Greek, maybe a choice of juice. Some tomato balls, lumps of feta, ditch the hotdogs, bring out some fish, or olives. Oh, I don't know.
But I can just say the following...
On a personal note...
here are 10 things that I love about Hotel28, Kamari, Santorini - on my first visit.

1.the hotel is very nearly faultless.
2.the espresso served poolside is better than 95/100 restaurants in the UK. Straight up.
3.Santorini is so much better value than I had feared. For all it's picture postcard blues and whites (which are MORE vibrant in the flesh), we never ever felt ripped off. Well apart from that reflexology session up the hill at "Suites of the Gods"....but that's another story.
4.with the exception of "Peros", you will struggle to find a bad meal.
5.Kamari, despite being on the airport's approach path, and despite being stuffed full of bars and shops and restaurants, and despite the large number of holiday makers there - still retains a cool, calm, well turned out air about herself. In a lot of ways, being baseing yourself on the East coast - and occasionally venturing onto the caldera side - IS the way to do it.
6.Spiros and the girls have kindness running through their veins. Obviously, being a boy, I would never shed a tear - but the thoughtfulness of bubble-wrapping up a pair of "donkey" glasses on departure very nearly got through my English reserve! Thank you Demetria.
7.in 7 days we genuinely never saw a single coud, ever. On my kids' lives.
8.if you could invent a drug called relaxation it would be how I felt most days, around 2 in the afternoon, snoozing and reading and swimming and drinking and snoozing....
9.the yellow, red and "crazy" donkey beers - brewed a mile up the road - are climatically perfect.
10.when Hazel cries on departure - I know something special has just happened.
She is my barometer, very very rarely wrong.

I adore this hotel.

...but I'll leave it at that. But I could go on - a LOT!

Was I dubious when I read the high level of praise on TA? I was.
Do the 150+ 5 star ratings overstate the uniqueness of this place? No, not at all.
Do we ever return to a hoiliday venue? other than Vegas, no.
Would I return to the Hotel 28 family - like a shot.
Have I already booked to return later on this year? I have.
Any questions ???

Room Tip: We travel to Greece for the sun - therefore a non-pool facing room - eg towards the mountains, the w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MardleyMassif

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Greek first
Essex
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the only minor downside, you have to be a magician to get the shower to a perfect temp!
Now for the great stuff, the ladies that lead front and centre at this hotel say all that you need to know about it,nothing is a problem, they will help with everything and talk to every guest as if they are a personal friend. Pool= Fantastic size with great bean bags to float on. Pool bar= great beer and cocktails .rooms= cleaned daily and always spotless. This hotel is as safe as houses and only a short walk from the beach. We were here for a wedding and the hotel itself became part of the event. Do not hesitate to book this hotel, it has charm and a great team running it. We hope to come back soon

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EssexGary
WELWYN
Reviewed July 1, 2013

So much has been said about Hotel 28 and “the girls” etc, it makes reviewing difficult because you can really only repeat what the majority of other people have said.
So, from the beginning …..
It will take you about 10 minutes to get from the airport to Hotel 28 – perfect after half a day’s travelling from the UK. The infrequent aircraft noise will not bother you – in fact watching the planes come in is quite spectacular because they come in really low!
Arrival at the hotel is like nothing you will experience. The crazy, happy, jumping Aggie will probably be the first person you will see and it is uphill from then onwards. Aggie will bring a smile to your face within seconds of talking to her. Suitcases taken up to your room whilst Aggie gives a few pointers about the hotel. Rooms contemporary and spotless. We paid for a pool view which isn’t necessary as you get the sun late afternoon /early evening at the back of the hotel. Pool area perfect size – small enough to be intimate and you will soon be chatting to fellow guests up at the bar which is run brilliantly by Dimitria. Nothing is too much for her – she will bring your drinks and food to you whilst you sunbathe on their comfortable double beds, and collect them without you even realising they have been taken away again. Even with a busy bar you are not kept waiting as she runs it efficiently and quickly but she is always able to add that personal touch as well. Excellent selection of bar food, salads fresh and prepared to order. Ioanna takes over about 4 pm and is just as kind and helpful as Aggi and Dimitri. What makes this place really stand out amongst others is the genuine warmth these 3 girls exude – your names will be remembered and there is not one thing they would not do or attempt to do for you in order to make your holiday memorable and hassle free. I should at this stage mention Spyros, the wonderful cool owner, who takes so much pride in his hotel and with good reason.
Plenty of good quality restaurants and bars line the Kamari beach front which is a 5 – 10 minute walk away – lots of good deals going on with food – two courses for 2 people coming in around 20 euros. If you fancy a day on the beach you can go to their sister hotel, the Bellonias Villas which is about a 15 minute walk. They have an excellent restaurant within the hotel called Elia. We had a tasting menu there one night (yes, in Santorini) and an authentic Greek cuisine meal another night – both meals were very impressive.
Buses are plentiful and you can get around the island efficiently and cheaply. A visit to Oia a must – it will take you about 1 hr including one change. Try to get there early before the hundreds of tourists/coaches descend on this very pretty small town. The views along the Caldera coastline are breathtaking with many hotels/bars offering cocktails whilst watching spectacular sunsets. Boat trips plentiful with lots of options. We elected to do one that took us to the volcano which is still active – climb to the top with your guide and look down into the crater where you will still see smoke and you can smell the sulphur – then cool off in the hot springs close by and continue your trip to the island Thirassia where you will remain for about 90 minutes. The calamari at Captain Johns Restaurant was without a doubt the best I have ever tasted. The whole squid was used with a batter as light and as crispy as you could ask for. Looking into the kitchen it was run by a Greek family, mostly women who were just knocking out authentic greek dishes to die for. Watch the sunset from your boat avoiding the hundreds of people that make their way to Oia to watch the same sunset!
Another find of ours which was off the beaten track but is well worth seeking out is Katharos – 5 minutes in the car or a 25 minute walk from Oia will find you overlooking a wild beach which may not be everyone’s cup of tea. It is a pebbly, somewhat uncomfortable beach but you are back to nature. Even if you give the beach a miss, make sure you visit Katharos Restaurant perched on a hilltop overlooking the sea and cliffs. Listen to Bob Marley, Jack Jones, Adele and an array of really good music that just makes the lunch perfect. Live music is played there a few times a week – this is a really really relaxed place with laid-back staff and an excellent menu. It is away from the madness, heat and bustle of Oia and turned out to be one of my favourite places.
I am running out of things to say about this Island and Hotel 28. A lot of the hotel’s business is repeat. And yes, we have broken our promise to ourselves about never returning to the same place but we have booked again for September and cannot wait to see Aggi, Dimitri, Ionna and Spyros again ….

5 Thank BUMPYWelwyn
Louth, Lincs, England
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Four of the five stars for this hotel are the staff, Ioanna, Aggi, Dimitra and Spyros and then another star for the hotel itself. As has been said in previous reviews the girls and Spyros really do make this a truly welcoming and relaxing place to stay. Absolutely nothing is too much trouble for them. They make every guest feel very special and are always interested to hear what you have been up to and will arrange taxis, book restaurants etc etc. They are very knowledgeable about the island and offer help and advice should you need it. Spyros makes excellent cocktails especially the mojitos and is very entertaining.

The hotel is spotless with double sunbeds around the lovely pool area. Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the mountain. This suited us because you get the sun in the afternoon and evening, so can enjoy a drink on the balcony in the sun. The hotel is about 5 minutes walk to the beach which means it is very quiet. About 10 to 15 minutes walk is their sister hotel Bellonias Villas which is situated at the other end of Kamari on the beach front. You are able to use their sunbeds and parasols free of charge.

We never go back to the same place, but for the first time ever we know we will return to Hotel 28!

2 Thank Louthgrays
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have just returned from a week at hotel 28 after visiting Santorini for a friends wedding and can honestly say that all the reviews written on here are true. What makes this a five star rating is most definitely the staff. From the moment you arrive at the hotel, they are on hand to offer help and assistance with whatever you need. The three girls are a real credit to the hotel. It was our first time travelling abroad with our one year old and I am so glad we chose this hotel as the staff were so accommodating, making sure we had everything we needed for him and were always making a fuss of him. They seem to be able to make everyone feel very special. The hotel itself is very clean, modern and well equipped. The pool area is fab, with lovely doublebeds for sun loungers and an excellent lunch menu, good value for money too, would recommend the greek salad and pizzas! Breakfast was also good, the Greek yoghurt delicious!
Kamari itself is a lovely resort, some fab bars and restaurants and is reasonably priced too, we were very pleasantly surprised. Santorini is a beautiful island and this hotel is just about perfect!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 664Alex664
doncaster
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Having gone here last year, I didnt think it could get any better! How wrong we were! We went for our honeymoon this year and was pleasantly surprised with flowers,champagne on ice,congratulation cards, the works!
The staff of Aggi,Dimitra and johanna are absolutely 100% committed to making your holiday experience truly memorable. Laughter, politeness,friendly,knowledgeable,professional people spring to mind, and nothing is too much trouble. When I was taken ill and needed to go to the hospital, the owner of the hotel was called to taxi me to the next town - he then waited for me for 3 hours and then took me back, I felt reassured, was looked after and they all showed me an amazing amount of care and compassion.
Brilliant location, amazing views,double beds around the pool,the most relaxed holiday i have ever had. Cant wait to return next year!

Room Tip: Pool view!
3 Thank scooby14doncaster
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just returned from a 1 week trip and I cannot put into words how fantastic this hotel is. Within in the first hour we were being fussed over by the staff. Told were to go and how to enjoy ourselves. The staff try to remembers very ones name so they can greet you correctly. Rooms were spacious and very clean. Unlike hotels were I've stayed before with the book indicating we're to go this hotel it's not a book it's Aggi and in the afternoon Joann. These two girls could not be more helpful, along with Demetria on the pool bar. My wife returned a dirty plate to the breakfast area and was told she is on holiday and she was not to do that. Great selection of different breakfast choices. Great coffee and orange juice or tea if required. Pool side bar done some great food.
There are so many restaurants to choose from on the the beach walk way were no cars are allowed. You could find it intimidating but used The Spring and Almeria's and they could not be more helpful and are willing to change the menu to your requirements.
Many of the guests at the hotel were on their 2nd - 5th time of returning and I will be one of those.
I forgot to mention Spyros the owner on the evening attended bar with Joann and we had many pleasant conversations with them.

This hotel is not to be missed. The three girls and Spyros make this a holiday not easily forgot.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Arthur B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Anassa Deluxe Suites
#4 of 80 in Fira
Smaragdi Hotel
Smaragdi Hotel
#3 of 39 in Perissa

Been to Hotel 28? Share your experiences!