“Very good.....not great”

Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Kamari
Yorkshire, England
“Very good.....not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is visually stunning with a chic, upmarket and unmistakenly Greek style. Although it is larger than many on the island it still manages to embody a boutique-hotel feel and is immaculately maintained throughout. It is situated in an excellent position just off the Kamari promenade, very quiet and peaceful and within easy reach of the beach, shops, bars and restaurants, of which there is an abundance.
However, on arrival, many of the little touches mentioned in other reviews did not happen and left me rather disappointed. No surprise upgrade even though the hotel was virtually empty, no welcome drinks, no tour of the hotel, no bottle of wine or fruit in the room. In fact my husband and I found the reception staff to be surprisingly surly and unhelpful throughout our stay.
Our room was on the upper floor and is known as an executive double. Modern and clean though not very spacious, the room had a nice bathroom with state of the art fixtures and fittings, good wi-fi connection, a balcony and a very comfortable bed...though the pillows were horrendous! In my opinion it lacked the amenities one would expect in a 5* hotel; no bedside clock, no DVD/CD player, very little storage space, complimentary toiletries which were not replaced our entire stay, no iron and ironing board and no tea & coffee making facilities (sorry, we're British!).
Breakfast was a let-down. Far from the glorious 'American-style buffet' we were expecting- of which we have experienced many- the hot food was prepared and then left under the warmers until it dried out. There was also no variation day to day, eggs were dried out scrambled, or dried out omelette. Same cereal, same bread, same cake etc..
That said, the serving and bar staff were absolutely lovely, nothing was a problem, they brought us cold glasses of water whilst we very much enjoyed the beautiful pools and nice loungers. I'd especially like to mention the roof-top sun-bathing area where the double loungers are placed in between a circular trickling fountain- a concept I've never come across before which was truly relaxing.
In conclusion, I WOULD recommend this hotel, both for a relaxing few days in the sun and as a base to see the sights of Santorini, provided you don't arrive hoping for those extra special touches as we did. If you do get them....what's your secret?

Room Tip: Upper floor- for more privacy
3 Thank Rapunzel11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is one of the nicer hotels we visited in Greece. The property is very modern. . I would rate the hotel as a 5 star mainly because of the service.Staff really cared about the guests and made an effort to ensure an enjoyable stay. They helped to make our holiday in Santorini the best part of our summer vacation! Breakfast is amazing - Room very comfortable and front Office lady/Manager
upgrated to very nice room and make us feel so welcome.

We don't hesitate to recommend this hotel.Hotel it's only a 2 minute walk to Kamari beach and taxi not so expensive.
We thanking all of you and especially Maitre / Mr. George and Mrs Lucia /Front Office Manager helped us giving so many tips for the magic island.
Hope see you again next summer

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in early October 2011 for 4 nights. Here are the pluses and minus in a summary:
Pluses:
- Excellent location; 50 mitres from the beach and the restaurant/cafe/shop street;
- Very new; only two years old so everything is still quite new and nice;
- Stylish inside and out;
- All rooms overlook the main pool/restaurant area so even if you can't afford an upgrade, you still get the same view;
- Pool areas are very nice;

Minuses:
- Reception staff aren't that friendly. In particular, this lady called Lucia seemed a bit annoyed every time we approached reception;
- Baths in rooms B3 and B8 are leaking;
- The buffet breakfast isn't all that good. Very limited selection and you have to ask staff for coffee/tea but they don't provide a menu so you never know what's on offer. Also, the Manager guy always hangs around, which seems to make the staff really uncomfortable. Every morning I was getting a vibe that the Manager was stressing everyone out... Not a big deal but I felt bad to complain when my latte arrived cold because I didn't want to get them in trouble...
- No tea/coffee making facilities in rooms (If you need hot water after the bar area is closed, which sometimes can be around 9pm, the lady on reception will not help you so you basically have to go without or go out to a near by restaurant, which I found very annoying);
- Your toiletries won't get replenished unless you ask for it. Also, none of our dirty glasses or cups were ever replaced or at least removed from our room.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay but all these little negatives, whilst not a big deal, made our stay just that little bit less comfortable. I really loved the location but I'm not sure if I would stay at this hotel again...

Room Tip: The standard room and the Executive room seem to be exactly the same inside, except that the Executi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank perthG
lamerSantorini, General Manager at La Mer Deluxe Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I and my team are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are pleased that you liked the style in ur Hotel, the decoration, the swimming pools and also outside urn Hotel the Beach and the shops.
We apologies if there was any problem from ur Reception, and I spoke with the restaurant Manager about the staff.
Thank you for the important detailed suggestions that we should be careful in the future.
Once again, thank you for your review and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back personally next time you visit us.

Best regards
Christos Tsaloukis
Berks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

My boyfreind and I stayed at La Mer for one week in September 2011. Overall we had a good experience at La Mer and would recommend it to friends and family visiting Santorini. The location of the hotel was fantastic. 2 minute walk from the beach but no noise at all from the main promenade. Although the hotel pools areas were nice, we went to the beach everyday as it was more entertaining for people watching and it was nice to see the sea. The hotel was upmarket, very clean and generally well maintained. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The design of the hotel was nice with tasteful decor. Both my boyfriend and I do alot of travel with work we would rate this hotel as a good 4 star not five star.

The only real dissapointment was the breakfast. Breakfast was served until 11am which when you are on holiday is very socialble. Although there was a good selection of food, if you arrived after 9.30 there would be no hot food left and and you would find yourself with only scraps if you wanted anything hot and limited items from the cold sections. They really need to replenish the breakfast for the second breakfast sitting. Given we paid 5 star prices this wasnt good.

We had a small leak in our bathroom, we did report this but he never quite got fixed. But to be be honest this had very little impact to us.

We were in room B9. Although i didnt notice it, my boyfriend was sometimes woken when they started the aircon in the downstairs bar in the mornings. Agaiin minor and didnt really spoil our stay.

So overall good stay, nice hotel - but be prepared to get to breakfast early!

Room Tip: Chose an upperfloor room as they are not over looked by people in the pool areas, also quieter.
4 Thank GezBerks
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Overall we were very pleased with our stay at La Mer. However, after our stay in Oia, the service could not live up. We had requested an additional night due to a hurricane at home that caused us to push our trip back a day and through email I was confirmed for 1 more night in the same room. When we went to arrange our transfer 24 hours before leaving, we were informed that they had us scheduled to leave that day and had no note of our additional day. After printing the email confirmation, the woman at the desk said that she was the one who confirmed us but that someone never entered it into the system... She asked that we switch rooms as another couple was supposed to be in the honeymoon suite that night, but we refused. No problems after that, but there should not have been confusion. Two other small complaints we had were that there was no clock at all in the room and when we asked for one, they did not know what we were talking about. Also, the light from the air conditioner was very bright at night and made it difficult to sleep. Other than those minor inconveniences, we had a great time at La Mer. The rooms and facilities were beautiful. The honeymoon suite had the best Jacuzzi I've ever been in. The staff at the pool was attentive and constantly bringing us water. We were starving late one night and even though the kitchen was closed, the bartender made us a grilled ham and cheese which was so appreciated. The cleaning staff was very friendly and I've never seen anyone work so hard. They were literally running from room to room at times. We never ate at the restaurant other than breakfast, but the breakfast buffet was very good. The location to the beach was perfect and we enjoyed walking along the boardwalk every night. We went to Kamari at the end of September when the night clubs were closed, but there were plenty of bars with live music and a laid back vibe which is what we were looking for.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Honeymoon suite with a wonderful jacuzzi
North of England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Stayed here from 30th August till Tuesday just gone, we were in Kamari for a family wedding, never been to Greece before.
On arriving at the hotel we were informed by a very friendly receptionist that we had been upgraded, we were given a welcome pack and she took us for a tour of the hotel. There are 2 main pools outside plus a small childrens pool and jaccuzzi, on the roof there are double sunloungers around a water feature. Downstairs there is a further pool, jaccuzzi, sauna, steam room plus a spa where you can book treatments.
After the tour we were shown our room a spacious light airy and clean room with a circular bed, separate room with flat screen and sofa bed and a bathroom with a whirlpoolbath.
We were just unpacking when we were brought a complimentary basket of fruit and a bottle of red.
The attention to detail on the service front is what most delighted us, there is always a member of staff to bring you fresh complimentary water while you sunbathe, anytime I started to move the parasol someone appeared out of nowhere to do it for me.
Breakfast is buffet but not in the normal sense of the word, there are lots of waiting staff bring you tea, coffee, fresh juice etc and the layout is set in such a way that even when it's busy you always felt relaxed and never seemed to be a queue for the food.
Another thing we noticed was how hard the staff work, George the owner was present at breakfast everyday, shaking hands and talking to all his guests letting then know if there was anything he could do for them and he was often around to welcome us when we returned from a night out.
There is free WiFi throughout which I used daily and never experienced a connection problem. On our first night I requested a further 20 coathangers which were brought within 10 minutes. When I requested a taxi to return us to the airport the receptionist organized a free bus transfer.
Overall this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at, so relaxing, peaceful and we certainly didn't want to leave.
If we ever return to Santorini I wouldn't even bother looking anywhere else I would only book La Mer. Thank you for an amazing holiday xx

• Stayed August 2011
Ekaterinburg, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at "Deluxe Double Room with Jacuzzi". It was so tiny we could not believe that there was not mistake and we got the same room we booked! We were there for 3 days but our room was cleaned the only once (after a few calls to do it). Outdoor jacuzzi was not secluded so we did not use it.. Room service is not provided after 10 P.M. Poor menu. Only local drinks. The hotel staff did not know what the word "champagne" means)) Spa was another bad experience for my wife. It seemed they do not have a permanent staff for spa treatments... Somebody comes from somewere if you book it before.. My wife told me she never saw such a awkward cosmetologist.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Alexander_Troshkin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Cavo Bianco
Crown Suites
#9 of 77 in Kamari
Aressana Spa Hotel and Suites
Astro Palace Hotel and Suites

Been to La Mer Deluxe Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!