We are a couple in our mid forties with no kids. We have done lots of Caribbean all inclusive but fancied a change of destination .
We stayed at the Hi Hotel Cala ‘n Bosch between 4th and 18th September on an all inclusive basis.
We flew from Birmingham with Monarch – Despite awful reviews it was excellent. We upgraded the seats which was a good move. The 2 hour flight passed in no time and we were in Menorca. The transfer through ‘resorthoppa’ was ok but a bit lengthy with a few drop offs that made the transfer time about 80 minutes.
We chose the Cala ‘n Bosch for its proximity to the beach. Previous reviews let us know more or less what to expect.
The hotel itself is a little tired but very clean. The rooms are basic but again clean. We requested and got our sea view room on the 3rd floor. The lifts at the hotel need updating – they are small and temperamental.
During our stay the clientele were young English and Italian couples with pre school kids. The dining room is a bit canteen like and can get noisy with crying children and frustrated parents. There is not really the chance to ‘enjoy’ your meal – it is a case of get in – get fed and get out.
You can have ‘house wine’ from a pump with your meal – it was average at best but drinkable.
The food was always buffet style ,but for the price was OK – there are always choices and it never ran out. All tastes were catered for at breakfast.
As previously mentioned the desserts are a bit repetitive.
The pool area is quite nice but showing its age a bit. There are plenty of sunbeds but not as many umbrellas. The pool itself is good and well maintained.
The beach is literally 20 paces from the side of the pool and is really excellent – soft golden sands and clear blue water that gently shelves. When the wind was up the sea was magnificent and reminiscent of Cornwall.
The sunbeds and umbrellas on the beach work out expensive at 5 euros each ie 15 euros a day per couple – but again we knew this and budgeted for it.
The entertainment team – Animacion – are mainly made up of enthusiastic bilingual Italians (Cecilia, Densie,Pier and Sol) complemented by Ramses the Portuguese ‘entertainer .
You could not fault their effort – there were always activities laid on for the kids – Please note that there is absolutely nothing for teenagers to do – it is aimed up to about 8-9 year old kids.
Nightly entertainment was provided and sometimes was so cheesy it could have been made in Wensleydale. For example the Abba tribute act was a threesome! And the Magician was as technically competent as a banana – but to be honest it didn’t matter.
The entertainment team also put on a couple of shows that were Womens Institurte standard – again it didn’t matter. Bingo and a single ticket winning raffle are held every night. Some lucky so and so won 310 euros on a rollover night.
The all inclusive bar is well staffed and the drinks although limited are plentiful. For some reason they bought the entertainment inside and the room got full and hot – it was better when outside and this was helped by staff at the outside bar .
We also budgeted to go to the Marina – literally 5 minutes walk from the hotel. We ate twice at a magnificent fish restaurant called the Aquarium. The food was superb but pricey (100 euros for pre dinner drinks 3 courses, wine, dessert and coffee) - The pounds weakness against the euro is punishing.
We also went to Chaplins bar in the marina a couple of times for drinks – they were more competitively priced and were just a bit dearer than home. The rest of the marina is packed with bars and restaurants and all tastes appeared to be catered for. The Med bar was also great to ‘people watch’
All in all we had a really good holiday at a great location but just make sure you know what to expect – we did our research so there were no ‘rabbits out of the hat’. At the price we paid for this holiday there are no complaints.
We will definitely return to Menorca but may try self catering next time.
If anyone wants to know more please send me a personal message.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THIS HOTEL HAS BEEN REFURBISHED DURING WINTER 2014/2015. Beautiful natural landscapes bathed in crystal clear blue waters, unique and unforgettable beauty of the Balearics - these are the experiences we would like to share with you in smartline Cala'n Bosch*** situated in Calan Bosch, Cap d'Artrutx, on the island of Menorca. A magnificent location of the hotel, sports and leisure facilities combined with peace and quiet atmosphere, so peculiar to the island of Menorca, will make your holiday with family, partner or friends an experience you would like to repeat again and again. The smartline Cala'n Bosch*** is located right on the beach of Calan Bosch in Cap D'Artrutx and 11 km from Ciutadella, former capital of Menorca. The hotel offers 188 rooms with balcony, air-conditioning, SAT TV, safe rental, bath, shower, toilet. The hotel is equipped with 1 adults' y 1 children's swimming pool, pool bar, snack bar, and is provided with direct access to the beach. The hotel offers gastronomic evenings and an enjoyable entertainment program with activities for all ages. Just 150 m away from the hotel you will find the marina of Calan Bosch where you will be able to enjoy water sports. Horse riding and cycling facilities as well as possibilities for cultural visits are also in the immediate neighbourhood of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Smartline Cala'n Bosch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hi Cala n Bosch Hotel
- Cala Bosch Hotel
- Hi Cala n Bosch Ciudadela
- Hotel Cala n Bosch
- Smartline Cala'n Bosch Minorca, Spain