“Lovely hotel on an established site with excellent facilities”

Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Chobham, Surrey
“Lovely hotel on an established site with excellent facilities”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton from 29th March - 5th April 2014. We arrived early about 1pm but our rooms were ready so we were able to check in. While we were in the process of this we were offered a drink and were told by a guest who was checking out what a fantastic hotel it was. Our room was on the 2nd floor with a reasonable view of the pool, a better floor to be on is the 4th but rooms here are more expensive. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom facilities are very good.
We were booked in for breakfast and dinner which was just as well as there are not many alternative places to eat in the area. The buffets are excellent with a great deal of choice. Even the most picky eaters would find something here. One end of the large restaurant is set up for families with small children with many extra facilities for them such as microwaves.
This is a very good resort for families with young children, as well as the heated children's pool, mini club etc the beach is very sheltered with lovely sand and a gentle sea courtesy of a lagoon.
The resort is exceptionally clean and the staff are all very friendly. This is an ideal resort for a relaxing holiday. There is not a huge amount to do on the island and the majority of it is quite barren. We did however have a very enjoyable day at Oasis Park and another in the north of the island at Corralejo and Cotillo where the waves are very impressive.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor with a reasonable view of the pool, a better floor to be on is the 4th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AWAYDAY23
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear traveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m pleased to learn that you have spent an enjoyable time with us and that all our facilities were up to your expectations. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

Fernando Molero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We just returned home after a stay at this hotel (31st March – 7th April). I felt the need to write this review after looking at trip advisor before my stay to give me some sort of insight into what to expect on my holiday. Too be honest, the things that some people moan about are ridiculous!

We travelled as 2 families. The children ranged from 8, 6, 4 and 2. There was something for all the children to do. From the swimming pools (There are 4, which includes a baby/toddler pool, which our 2 year old was comfortable to explore without the need for armbands). A kids club (Children from 4-12 were able to attend this on a daily basis from 10-4 without fee), which included a mini play centre, craft tables and sports/games. There was a mini golf area (which was in need of a little tlc but still playable and fun!). Between 8-9 they held a minidisco in a room off the lobby area where my kids danced away for nearly an hour and then fell into bed. Our friends children were up a little later, at 8 years and 6 years, so continued for more colouring and fun in another room just below reception for supervised play between 9pm-10:30. We were able to put our children to sleep and enjoy drinks on our balcony with our friends whilst the kids played with others their ages.

The hotel is a child friendly hotel and they have done everything they can to make areas for children. In the restaurant, there is an area set aside for families. In this area, you’ll find highchairs, larger round tables to accommodate up to 8 people, microwave, babyfood, plastic plates and cutlery. The restaurant had a different food theme everyday and with these choices, there was always something for the children to eat too. I actually enjoyed having bits of everything to try. Deserts were always overflowing and you could even help yourself to ice cream of many different flavours. We booked and paid for full board, so all our meals were eaten in this restaurant. Unlike many other hotels offering a buffet style service, this hotel carried it out with style. The food was always displayed fantastically, encouraging you to try new things! Waiters and Waitresses, restocked items, tidied spills – Nothing was too much. If you didn’t want anything from the vast choices, you could always have fish, chicken or steak cooked to your liking by one of the friendly chefs! What is there to moan about?

The rooms were very spacious (we were a family of 4 sharing) ours was Room 126 which had a connecting door to 127 where our friends were staying. The bathroom was huge. A separate toilet (which my husband preferred), twin sinks (Great for getting ready) and bath and separate drench shower (Walk in style). The hairdryer was better than my one at home (really powerful like the ones in the salons). There were shampoos, conditioners, shower gels and lotion just in case you forgotten anything! Cleaned everyday – Fresh towels – Great after a day at the pool! The location of our room was great for us! With a buggy you didn’t want to be too far from things (or use the lift too much!). We were really close to both the pool and the restaurant and just 1 floor away from the reception area. We didn’t use the balcony during the day so didn’t really know if the sun was on it or not (Not important for us).

We were close to the supermarket (only a short walk RIGHT as you hit the beach from the hotel). Here there were a few shops and restaurants and some entertainment things for the kids (trampolines, gokarts & play area).

A few things to note:-
• The hotel is not too far from the airport and a cab ride cost us only €15.
• Men have to wear long trousers to dinner in the buffet restaurant. This is not negotiable! Our husbands only had the jeans they travelled in and another pair of white linen trousers. They even tried there tailored golf shorts (which were knee length and not beachy at all) but they were turned away at the door and asked to change.
• There is free Wifi only for 30 mins at a time (you can refresh afterwards for a further 30 mins). It was only available in the lobby area of the hotel. Signal seemed ok for downloading emails etc.

We had a wonderful holiday (it was the week before the schools broke up for Easter and you could definitely tell when the schools broke up. I guess the hotel will be really busy for the next 2 weeks but after that, the quite pace will return as we have just experienced. We will definitely return to this hotel. Was a great holiday spent with special friends!

Room Tip: Room 126-128 were not too far from pool and buffet restaurant. Also, the use of a lift when you nee...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank MascallsAngel
Grendon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Some of the reviews made me nervous, but that certainly wasn't the case. We stayed in room 312 which was very good. Large, very clean and had everything we wanted. Great shower and bath, TV, mini bar, beds were comfortable and seating area was fine. Balcony was shared, but 312 is at the far end, so no real issues and you do have some 'private' space anyway. Wi-Fi is a weird one...you can have it free in the bar area for 30 minutes slots or pay €7 per day or €25 for the week (being charged seemed unusual for such a large name)...good reception all over with the exception of the room where the signal wasn't great at all.
Breakfast and Dinner had very good selections. Omelettes cooked to order, cereals, fruit all the usual stuff for breakfast and dinners had all the usual with meat and fish cooked to order - you wouldn't go hungry and I'm a fussy eater and I didn't! Beer was about €4.00 per pint, cocktails about €6 - don't quote me on those....!
Pools very good and clean and plenty of loungers.
Might be a bit more hectic as the season goes on and they do cater for families so the pool area, breakfasts and dinners maybe a touch louder! (We were all kids once!)
For a first holiday without our 3 kids, the time we went, weather and hotel and we're spot on.....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robert F
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your very recent holiday. I’m pleased that you have spent a nice time among us and that your room, restaurant facilities and the overall experience is a positive one.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future.

Best regards,

London
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We spent 2 weeks at the hotel in November/December and it's interesting to see that many of the more recent comments reflected our range of experiences.
Booking a well known 'brand' suggests that you should receive a certain and familiar level of quality from your stay but we've learnt that may not be the case with some Sheraton hotels.
A few little things would lift the overall hospitality offer:
* There must be a more personal approach to vetting guests going into the dining room. Most days we were asked our room number without a smile or sense of welcome.
* If guests want to sit outside of an evening, let them. It's their problem if they're
cold. On several occasions we were told 'it was going to rain' so no outside tables were set up.
Many of the outside tables are under cover so this was more about keeping waiting staff in the main dining area.
* Leftover food was poured into dustbins adjacent to tables where guests were sitting, while used and dirty crockery, cutlery, glasses etc were transported on a rather unpleasant trolley throughout the eating area. Again, this appeared to be due to low staffing numbers as it saved them time taking stuff to and from the kitchen.
* Yes, you could have fish, poultry and steak cooked to your liking which was great but other dishes were of mixed quality.
* And a hotel without a pastry chef(s) is not 5*. Most nights the tiny range of desserts were bought in. People are on holiday and they want to treat themselves.
* One overworked boy does not make an animation team. And while he is a sweet guy he can't be an expert in everything. We've enjoyed aqua aerobics in hotels and clubs across the globe and have never been asked to get out of the water to do stretching exercises. That day I came down with a nasty cold.
* The facilities for young families are great but that doesn't mean you don't take care of the needs of your other guests who may prefer more peace and quiet. Why not have an adults-only section in the pool area and encourage families to stay nearer to their large and fabulous areas?
* And I think we need to give up asking Sheraton for more English TV channels. Hundreds of Tripadvisor comments going back years hasn't prompted them to do anything about it so obviously it costs them too much. Same with wifi.
Time to look elsewhere I think.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rubenesque
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback at Tripadvisor. I’m truly sorry to learn that we didn’t meet your expectations, what’s more, we fell far away from them. That’s certainly not the direction in which we wish to go and we really appreciate your valuable comments. Our F&B Team is looking into the issues you mentioned and we believe in providing better experiences for our future guests.

Best regards,

Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Came for a business trip for a oil and gas major, enjoyed lot with the ambiance to work and to relax. all in one experience and it is available to all the nearest attractions and to my different work places in Spain

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SriNithin
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that we covered both your business and leisure needs. It’ll be a pleasure to host you whenever in the future your work or vacations brings you to Fuerteventura.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I feel compelled to write this review on the basis of the number of negative and frankly baffling comments posted recently. I've just returned from a wonderful weeks stay at this gorgeous resort and I simply can't understand the comments!

The hotel grounds are lovely and really easy to navigate around (I have no sense of direction at all and I never got lost which is normally unheard of!). The pools are beautiful, clean and very well maintained. The temperature of the heated pools was ideal.

The food is the best I've ever had in a hotel resort - so much choice and a different theme every night. As a vegetarian family we never struggled for choice.

The staff are fantastic - so welcoming, friendly and helpful.

The rooms are lovely - huge, very clean and the maid service is very through. Lovely big balconies with padded wicker chairs rather than plastic which was nice. The views were second to none. We stayed on the SPG floor in room 444.

The main issue I wanted address was the frankly strange comments on the children at the resort. There have been many many previous reviews on how the resort attracts families with young children so why would you then book the resort knowing this and then proceed to complain about it? We travelled with our 3 yr old daughter and 9 month old daughter. From the first evening we were guided towards the rear side of the restaurant where it seemed the families were all seated and which made sense as the microwave, baby food jars and children's crockery/cutlery was situated there too. There was plenty of space in the near side of the restaurant where families were not sat and it seemed to be adults only so I think it a disservice to the hotel to ignore its attempts to separate families and couples the best they could.

My final point would be that the resort is very child friendly yes but that does not make it bad. Rather, it would be wise to read previous reviews and not book it if it doesn't suit you, rather than complain and give this fantastic hotel a low rating which in my option is such a shame. As for myself, well even after a week I couldn't find fault!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank alpones
Dear client,

Above all I wish to thank you for deciding to spend your family holiday at our property. Secondly I would like to express my gratitute for your objective comments and I hope that it will help other travellers and future visitors. We try to cover needs and wishes of all our guests and according to many comments on Tripadvisor we are still not there. However we do our best to find the best way how to accommodate the preferences of each one of you. I’m pleased to learn that we did make your holiday special and I hope that your family will remember the time spent here for many years to come. Whenever in the future you decide to come back to Fuerteventura, please do not hesitate to contact me (rrpp@sheratonfuerteventura.com). It’ll be a pleasure to assist you.

United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just stayed here for 10 nights with my husband and young son.
We booked and paid extra for a Junior Suite with a sea view and to be honest not worth the extra money.
The first room we had was large enough but not a ray a sunshine fell on it during a 24 hour period, it was always dark and cold. The air conditioning does not give out heat so the only answer is to wrap up warm, disappointing that there cannot be heat as it was not very warm that week.
There was a list of things which did not work including the jacuzzi, hair dryer and the sink leaked all over the floor.
We moved after 3 nights to another junior suite with a nice view of the car park but at least it was brighter.
Again even after reporting it the Jacuzzi did not work and no one bothered to fix is. If you want a working jacuzzi this is not the hotel for you. The fridge was also broken but at least that was fixed.

The walls are paper thin, we could even hear our neighbours phone buzzing, and the smell of smoke from other rooms is very obvious, no clear section of the hotel for non smokers.

The hotel is in need of some money spending on it to bring it to a 5* standard. The pelmet around the bath was hanging off, looked like it had been off many times, the toilet always smelt of sewage, towels had seen better days and some days we were given less towels to people, it seemed to depend on what housekeeping had.

Rooms were sufficient, a good clean under the beds and dust would help. Just not 5* luxury at all.

The kids mini disco was beyond a joke, the staff looked so disinterested, some days there would be 15 mins and some days 10 mins. Not good for entertaining the kids.

Outside area was fine, plenty of beds but that was probably down to the time of year and weather. Many of the communal areas for sports are very run down, as previous reviews have mentioned the mini golf course is in pieces, the others need a bit of money put into them to make them of an acceptable standard.

The hotel is very understaffed and some could do with some lessons in customer relations.

The hotel is about 15 minutes from the bars and restaurants which are ok, the 555 tapas was the best we ate in.

Would I go back, no way, not at the prices they charge unless they seriously up their game to be the 5* they are trading at.

Room Tip: Ask for a sunny room, they are quite well aware which side gets no sun.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank travelbug6211
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your very recent holiday with us. I’m sorry that we dissapointed you. The lack of our assistance and problem resolution on the maintenance/housekeeping issues is unacceptable and I wish to deeply apologize for it. To have your suite in perfect order, cozy and clean is the base for a perfect holiday. It’s obvious that we failed and I’m truly sad to learn that we didn’t make it up to you with the rest of our services or facilites.

I remain at your full disposal,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caleta de Fuste
#7 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
#1 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!