“Brilliant holiday”

Hotel Costa Caleta
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
“Brilliant holiday”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here for a week all inclusive at end of August with partner and seven year old son. The hotel was lovely food was fine lovely fresh bread and fruit every day. Great location went to see the chipmunks every day. My little boy loved the pool. The only let down for us was the entertainment it was terrible but this did not spoil our holiday. If I returned to the island would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Kay1979111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

just arrived back after a7 night stay at the costa caleta Cannot fault the place Clean spacious rooms Plenty of food and drink Really good value for money Had a great new year and so did the people around us Would definitely go again The 4 Hollands from Loughborough

Room Tip: choose any
8 Thank tony h
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Have just returned from a one week stay at the Costa Caleta flying out from Birmingham on Christmas Day. The hotel is only about 10 minutes from the airport which is very convenient in a good location in Costa Caleta being only a few minutes walk into the town and to the beach if required. There is a nice frontage to walk along around the bay of Costa Caleta where there is no traffic.

On arrival we checked in very smoothly and were given our key to our room on the second floor which overlooked the pool area. The room had two twin beds pushed together although one bed had wheels on it hence it kept slipping and sliding everywhere so in the end I had to wedge it with some paper! The room was clean and fairly large and comfortable with a bed settee if required. The bathroom was clean and tidy with plenty of hot water when needed, didn't try the hairdryer as I always take my own, there was plenty of wardrobe space and a couple of drawers. The only negative side was there was no kettle or fridge which was needed and would certainly be needed in the summer months (nothing worse than hot wine and water). One thing we did notice that in the day the lighting on the staircase was very poor in that you could hardly see the staircase and would certainly not pass Health & Safety in this country. In the evening the lighting was a little better but still not sufficient, they need to look at this.

On the first evening there was a Gala Dinner and we had been given the time of 8.30 pm for entry into the restaurant. Unfortunately by 8.50 p.m. we had still not been allowed in due to the fact the first sitting at 6.30 p.m. had not left the restaurant hence there was a long "dinner queue". Therefore, first impressions of the restaurant were not good. Obviously, a lot of people had only just arrived that day ourselves included and were rather hungry so a lot of people did become rather annoyed. When we did finally get into the restaurant I can honestly say I was not too impressed with what had been laid on. Myself and my partner are not fussy eaters but nothing really appealed and it did look as if it has been sitting under the heated lamps for a good while. There was very little to eat in the way of deserts so on the first night we went to bed rather hungry.

Breakfast next morning was a lot better with more to choose from with full English breakfasts, toast and a few cereals etc. Each lunchtime there were hot meals laid on or salads if you preferred. Unfortunately, it just seemed the evening menus were rather limited and unappealing. I did manage to find a microwave on the second day which did help to warm things up considerably. The waiters and waitresses did an excellent job in clearing the tables and re-laying them very quickly and were all very pleasant. On New Years Eve they had yet another Gala Dinner which proved to be a lot better organised than Christmas Day (probably due to the fact more staff appeared to be on call). The food was more appetising and more variety. Unfortunately when the hotel is full like it was the restaurant just does not have enough tables to cater for everyone. In the summer there are more tables outside but obviously in the winter it is too cold to sit outside.

The pool area is very limited for space that is actually in the sun hence there tends to be a mad rush at 9.00 a.m. to grab a few of the sun beds that have the sun in one particular corner. We went on to the roof of the hotel (adults only) where there is a lot more room and a couple of other pools. There are only a limited amount of sun beds with adjustable backs hence if you wanted to read and had not been able to obtain one of the few sun beds with adjustable backs you were lying on your back reading. The hotel had created a crazy golf course on the top roof but it would have been much better if they were to remove this and put more beds up there as I never saw anyone playing golf and hence more people would have been able to have sat in the sun. I would imagine in the summer months it would also be extremely hot as there were no umbrellas either on the roof or around the pool on the ground floor. We were not able to go in any of the pools as none were heated although it does say one is heated when looking in the brochure.

I know this hotel is only classed as a 3* so it is very much you get what you pay for but one of the main annoyances to everyone was that they had very few glasses to have a drink in. I agree with using plastic cups around the pool area but not in the restaurant and bar areas all day and all evening. No man wants to have a "pint" in a plastic party cup that only holds a 1/4 of a pint. Wine obviously never tastes very good from plastic. Should you be one of the lucky ones who manages to obtain a pint glass or a glass for your wine then hold on to it. When we got a glass we had to take it back up to our room, wash it and then bring it down next day to use. Please please please Costa Caleta invest in some more pint glasses and wine glasses as it was very difficult to pour a beer into a plastic cup all you end up with is a cup of froth.

The entertainment area is definitely not large enough for everyone to sit in as most nights we had to sit in the reception area if you wanted a seat hence you were unable to see what the entertainment was if any. The evening entertainment was very average but there is plenty of bars and restaurants in Costa Caleta that you can visit during the evening.

I would certainly recommend the resort to people but you have to remember the hotel is only 3* and there are some points that need fine tuning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool as some are over looking the road and a derelict apartment block...
3 Thank A G
Lincolnshire
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have to say after reading the recent reviews of this place before we went, I was beginning to wonder if we had made a huge mistake. However it was not so bad .... Please read on for my humble review of this hotel.

It is ideally located in the town with easy access for the beach and the shops. Check in was smooth and efficient and the lady receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The worst part is having to wear the dreadful wrist bands. The reception area was very clean despite there being a lot of people milling around. The first part of not being all inclusive came at reception, when it stated that you had to pay for the wifi, the room safe and the TV and remote! We paid for wifi as we wanted to contact family but there was no connection in our room and it was fairly hit and miss in the.reception area, so I feel this should have been free. It's a good job we had cash because they DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS.

The room was a good size and very clean, but we only had a view of someone's back yard and we only got the sun on the balcony later on for about half an hour. Our first problem was that the safe did not work so we went back to reception, and this time it was a man who was not terribly helpful, however we did eventually get it sorted. I am glad we didn't go in the height of the summer as the air con is as much good as someone waving a feather over you!

We did use the roof top terrace a couple of times, but the bar was not open even for soft drinks, and as it is four floors up its a pain having to go up and down every time you wanted a drink. However some other guests tell me that it was open sometimes.

There are only two bars, one for daytime and one for night. The only problem I had at the day bar is that one of the female staff decided not to serve me and a lady in front of me and told us to use the pumps outside, but she seemed to have no problem serving the two men behind us! Yes there is a queuing system for the evening, but it works, meaning you are never waiting for long, and the size of the drinks means you don,t have to go back too many times. That said it is all local stuff, so not too strong.

The food cannot be faulted. There was plenty of it, it was tasty and always something different. My main gripe was that on Xmas day they had a Gala Dinner that you had to book for. This was for two sittings, and the queues were long, and people were struggling to get a table. If people had been allowed to wander in when they felt like it, as per normal, I don,t think there would have been a problem. The only difference was that they were serving wine out of the bottle if you were lucky enough to attract the attention of one of the staff, the food was pretty much the same.

I have to applaud the Thomas Cook entertainment team..... All three of them! They did a great job of keeping everyone entertained, and worked very hard.

Overall, this was a Good holiday, but I feel we were overcharged for what we would personally rate a 2 to 3 star hotel. Would we go back.... Maybe, but there are better all inclusives to be had on this island.

Room Tip: As for a room with a view, maybe at the front or side of the hotel.
1 Thank sde23sde
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have to give 10 out of 10 for this Place.The staff were great,the entertainment good,the rooms clen and presentable,the food brilliant,lots of variety and plenty of it and of course the drinks never ending.Excellant value for money and I would be happy to go there again!

Room Tip: As I did not use the Spa I cannot comment on it. My impression of the rooms was that they were all...
4 Thank Melanie R
scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We are still at this hotel,we have been here a week and have another week to go.It is a very nice clean well looked after hotel,all the staff are very hard working friendly people.The entertainment is good fun, the food is very nice,we are having a lovely relaxing time here,

Room Tip: 1087 is a very nice room,quiet and near everything.
6 Thank loukelzi
Leicestershire, England
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Have just returned from a 14 day stay at this hotel. For the star rating it has been given it is almost without fault. Obviously it will not be as good as some 5 star hotels but for the price we paid it was exceptional value for money. I found some complaints on here about the hotel rooms being shabby and dated - not true at all. Last year I stayed in a 5 star hotel and there was no difference in the room except for a fridge. Someone had written a report on here that the photos of the rooms bare no resemblance to the photos as they were taken when the hotel first opened. This again is not true the rooms are exactly the same in the photos and the hotel is in fact not very old. The staff worked very hard and were always pleasant. I noted the comments on here about the receptionist Drina? (The Irish lady) being very rude - again not true at all and she was very helpful and polite and I think it may be a case of some people not understanding the Irish humour more than anything else. Everywhere was kept extremely clean. Well OK the food can get a little repetitive after 14 days but so does all other hotels - in fact you get a bit bored of eating full stop in all inclusive holidays. My plate was always full so there was always something to eat (and the scales may verifty this when I pluck up the courage to step on them!!). I loved the Goa bar to sit and have a cocktail at the end of the night (this in not all inclusive although they do have a cocktail of the day which is at a reduced price of 4 euros) this is a very nice bar under the terrace and is a nice chill out, relaxing cocktail bar. The bar man here did a fabulous job and is a lovely guy! Do not read the negative reviews, I don't know what people expect for the money they pay - go to a 5 star hotel and pay your money! There were a new set of Thomas Cook reps when we arrived that had only been there a week (we arrived 5th December) a massive well done to Rob and the girls for doing such a good job so new to the hotel and it looked as though they had been there for ages. Rob even found me a needle and thread to mend my jacket and we weren't even with Thomas Cook and little things like this are very appreciated. . Rob did a cracking job with the singing too!Thanks for a memorable holiday Costa Caleta!

6 Thank cazza13