“holiday”
Review of Club Montecastillo

Club Montecastillo
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The apartments are quite big and not all in room.Im very particular about things being clean and the apartments were up to my standard.Dont get me wrong the apartments could do with a refurb like for instance enamel is coming off bath and could do with new towels and stuff but i did not book to stay in all day and it was all very comfy etc to sleep in.Although when opened wardrobe did smell a bit musty but i did spray it with some air freshner and all was ok.I will tell you apartments are on a very steep hill and im 33 and found it tiring walking back up the hill although most of the time i got a taxi back up and it was around 2.65 euros.The receptionist are very helpful if you need anything.Caleta quite cheap to eat out in.I went to aberdeen steak house a fair bit it was 1.50 a pint from 9am to 6pm and food was cheap their too.Just gotta add town is about 10 minute walk at bottom of hill you go through a subway to get to town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank angelwoman1979

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here for 4 Days Jan 2013. Yes the apartments are dated and could do with a refurb but were roomy with a well equiped kitchen area and were very clean . There are 3 spacious pool areas on the complex, one with a good poolside bar. Sunbeds could do with replacing though as many were broken or uncomfy. The complex is only a couple of minutes walk from the montecastillo centre and 15-20 mins walk from the main caleta area so well placed. A very peaceful location and for the price (I paid £14 per night) was a bargain. Would stop there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had booked to stay 14 nights including Christmas. Despite not expecting a great deal on arrival [having not paid a lot for the accommodation) we were disappointed when we let ourselves in to our allocated Unit, C5.

It had evidently not been used for some time, smelt musty had thin mattresses on chipboard bases, smelly towels an uncomfortable settee, the expected two electric rings but no microwave, little by way of kitchen equipment ( we were self catering and like cooking) a rusting old fridge with no capacity to store anything in the door, a kitchen cupboard with its door hanging off and ill fitting drawers with no handle on one, a gap between the frame of the patio door and the floor, an ironing board but no iron and thin old plastic patio furniture and no picture on the very small TV. Our expectations may have been raised by staying in a good quality hotel in Marrakech for 4 days or maybe we were tired after travelling from there with only 2 hours sleep but our hearts sank. However, reception and maintenance over a couple of days did their very best to make amends.

The towels were changed (and additional towels for the pool provided), a microwave and toaster provided, a larger frying pan, chopping board, bowl, tea pot and glass jug and tea towel were forthcoming, an iron was provided, the cupboards/ drawers were repaired, the safe was replaced. Two new foam mattresses were delivered; additional pillows and blankets were provided. Additionally a TV aerial was provided -Sky News, BBC World News and a couple of film channels usefully available)

The whole complex is tired and rundown especially the areas above \north of reception. On arrival the largest pool needed a good clean and when I first saw it I thought I would never get in it but with the sun out next day and a few people braving the cold water it looked different again.I have never seen such tired looking sunbeds but if you search hard enough you can find some that don’t sag completely to the ground. The area around the pool was, frankly, dirty but was clened towards the end of our fortnight. The gym [with its ageing equipment] is open for a daily or weekly charge; Our nearest pool bar was not open [but the one near the Elite pool was]. However, Zanzibar tries to cover all bases providing live entertainment + all football on several screens. Food is available which although I didn’t try myself looked pretty good. €2.50 for a large Amstel [later replaced by San Miguel] or glass of house wine (which is Liria that can be bought in most supermarkets for €1.99 a bottle).I didnt appreciate the fact that the smoking ban is totally ignored in Zanzibar [and other pubs outside the complex] so usually watched any football in 'Legends' in town.
Initially I didnt take to Calleta De Fuste as there seemed a preponderance of 'English family/ football' bars and a third of the beach has been taken over by The Barcelo Hotel and adjacent apartments. However as we got to know the area I realised there was something for every taste.Personally I loved El Messon Gallego [see separate review] and the sea walk towards Nuevo Horizonte. The better beach is the one towards the golf resort going south out of town.
We met some lovely and amusing people around the pool, some of whom were lucky enough to be staying for 3 months
Security: Contrary to other reviews there IS a security issue on the complex. One Irish family who we sunbathed near had a male intruder in the middle of the night who when confronted left with some of the husbands clothes and €50 cash. The next evening I had a visit from the non English speaking complex security operative who passed me a note stating that I should ensure all doors and windows were locked/ closed at night
The local Hiperdino is reasonably well stocked. As we had a car we went into Rosario to stock up in Lidl [Kangaroo steaks for Xmas dinner!] calling in at Mercadona, situated between the airport and complex, on the way back, for any stuff not available in Lidl . If you dont have access to a car you could get a [well used] bus to Mercadona and a taxi back for a few euros if you opt to self cater as we did.
All in all great way to spend a low cost Xmas in the sun. I could be tempted back but personally prefer Carrallejo if that were available at a similar price.

Room Tip: The rooms nearer 'Elite' look better
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my 12 year old son from 12th December to 26th December. On arrival we were met by friendly reception staff, the accomodation was basic but very clean, the cleaner came in two to three times a week and changed the sheets and left clean towels. The utensils in the kitchen area were adequate for us, being four of everything also a kettle, microwave and toaster. There is no oven just two hobs but we ate out alot. There was a safe in the wardrobe and there was a extra charge for this.

I would recommend getting a one bed apartment as the sofa was very uncomfortable to sit on so would imagine it would be quite uncomfortable to sleep on. The television had 3 channels you could watch, bbc news, disney and the film channel which is fine if your not planning to spend alot of evenings indoors it did however have subtitles permanently frozen on the screen but I did'nt bother to complain, as all the tvs apparently had this problem and it did'nt restrict what little tv I did watch. There were ceiling fans which worked but we did'nt need to use them.

The patio area was fine with a table and three chairs, it was also a suntrap which I liked.

The pool was freezing and the childrens end rather dirty with insects and leaves, I appreciate Fuerteventura being a windy island but if I had small children the leaves would,nt have bothered me but I would had second thoughts about letting them in with the dead insects, some rather large. The pool was cleaned on a more regular basis once the resort got busier and the few times I did go in the deep end it was clean. The rest of the resort was very clean and tidy. The sunbeds need upgrading as alot of the backs are broken. The other two pools were more livelier as there seemed to be alot more children at them also the Elite had a pool bar.

I would say the furnishings are rather dated looking but that seems to be the norm in most resorts, rather quaint in a old fashioned way.

The resort is lovely in its own way and definetly will be better if it is refurbished, mainly the pool area and maybe the sofas. I think there is some taking place but rather slowly. I had a lovely holiday but it could have been that I also spent the time with a lovely group of people.

There is a security guard that patrols at night, one person was broken into whilst we were there and they seemed to target a apartment that was previously broken into. I felt reasonably safe as I was near reception and not isolated.

There are three pools to choose from, we were by the quitest one which suited us, the Zanzibar across the road is lovely and the staff really friendly. There are two supermarkets to choose from, both reasonably priced and a train called "the happy train" which takes you into the main town.

If you are looking for 5 star this is not for you but if you want clean accomodation and a friendly, chilled out atmosphere then I would recommend it.

I would go back if I thought some refurbishment had been done. Having a comfortable sunbed would have been great as the weather was fantastic.

We had a lovely friendly cat that visited and all in all I can say I enjoyed my holiday. There were alot of choices of restaurants food wise, the Slow Boat buffet was great.

There is a area below reception where you can take a shower and change when you have a late departure and this was very clean. I would have maybe liked a later room departure time not that anyone rushed us and we were a bit late on departing the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank deetrey
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at Club Montecastillo, 22nd Dec to 5th Jan. This was one of the best holidays we’ve ever had!! After 10 years of Greek self catering holidays, (where you’re lucky to get a kettle that works), this was luxury!!
From the moment we checked in at reception, to the time we left, everyone was so helpful and friendly. The rooms are well appointed, with a hob, extractor fan, coffee percolator, toaster, kettle, microwave and all the utensils you could need.
Would recommend the Elite pool bar for the great home cooked food, great company, and entertainment.
Many thanks to Julie, Ricky, Frankie, Elvis, Aidy, John, and, of course, Neil (half cut) Diamond. Had a blast!!
The Zanzibar is well worth a visit for the evening entertainment, especially Paul Reno.
The town is only 5 mins walk with all you could need, and car hire is well cheap. Would recommend a drive up to Corralejo to see the dunes.
All in all, the resort may not be five star, but for a great value break for Xmas and New Year, it would be hard to beat!
P.s; Best of luck to all the boxers we met, especially Kell Brook for 23rd Feb.
Many thanks to you all, and WE’LL BE BACK!!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed fine, but keep windows and doors locked at night and when you;re out. Like anywhere...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lou763
Reviewed December 21, 2012

My first visit to this resort, it's excatley what I paid for. The staff are fantastic, although lots of reviews said otherwise. If you pay £99 you will get £99 worth of room, it's not 5 star but it's friendly clean , the staff try their best in all areas. The pool is spotless at all times, however there are a lot of people who complain about it. The Resort is part of a group there, they do have security guard at night, Its not that far to walk to the beach it takes about 5mins or 10 if your slow . They dont have brake in's and no muggings have been reported in this area, as other reviews have stated. I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: try and get a room away from the pool, and have the patio in a sunny area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Great value for money! My wife and I paid £103.00 for a two bedroom apartment, £7.36 per person per night, that's got to be cheaper than a youth hostel.

The apartment was clean and comfortable, and we had plenty of hot water for showers and two cat friends.

I would recommend hiring a car, Caleta is not the best resort in Fuerteventura unless you have kids or are over 55.

Take a drive out to el cotillo, corralejo and jandia, trust me, you will not be disapointed. We hired a car from autospluscar.com for £70 for the week, we did over 600 kms and used less than 40 euros of fuel.

The road through Betancuria is a must, fantastic scenery, its takes you right through the mountains and on to the coast on the opposite side of the island from Caleta.

Breakfast is available in Caleta at the 60s bar, two full english breakfasts for a fiver, no complaints.

If you fancy a proper roast Sunday lunch then Tommy Nutter's is a must, opposite the roundabout at the bottom of the hill.

Room Tip: Be very careful of the pool if you have young kids, it is 1.9m deep and there are no barriers around...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple