“Better than Expected”

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Liverpool
“Better than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

I wanted to dislike the Broncemar due to arriving 6 hours late (thanks Thomas Cook), a rainy day and a room with no hot water and loud music until 3 am. The noise was from a bar ouside of the hotel grounds so the hotel was not responsilble but If noise bothers you then avoid rooms 101 to 121 and all rooms on that side.

However we changed rooms at the 3rd time of asking and with hot water and no noise it was not that bad a hotel. The rooms were fair sized with lots of cupbords/drawers/hanging space etc, kettle, microwave, toaster, fridge, clothes airer, table and chairs and 2 sofas. One room had no hangers the other room did.

The downside is the state of repair (things are botched mended rather than a proper repair). Lack of air conditioning(but the room did not get that hot - maybe wrong season in February). But there was nothing serious and if you want better decor pay more and go more upmarket. The rooms were clean.

Two extras were the room safe at15€/week (in both our rooms the safe worked without paying the money to get the activation code). Neither room safe would accomodate a 13" laptop. Hair driers are also extra but my missus took one with her.

Towels are changed 3 times a week and are smallish threadbare affairs. This is one area the Broncemar needs to improve. I don't know if families get more towels. As a coup[le we got 2 small bath and 2 small hand. If you can take a big fluffy bath towel from home.

We did not try the food as we wanted to be out and about but an upgrade from S/C to AI was 24€ per adult (paid locally). Obviously you would not pay this if you booked AI. We paid about the same eating out but any drinks were extra. Some beers in the room fridge is a cheap option.

The 60's bar in the Costillio centre (a 3 minute walk from the hotel) did a great breakfast at a good price and the chinese restaurant (directly opposite the 60's bar was good for a change). I would not recommend the restaurant adjoined to the hotel (Gambrinus) the one and only meal we had in here was truly awful and the staff were not interested in any complaints.

We hired a car from eco car hire across the road from the hotel and 100 yards or so to the right and got good service at a good price. We did try other car hirers first but there were booked up and even with eco car we had to compromise on the days we wanted. It may be a good idea to book before you go. The tour operator recommened firm was way too expensive compared to the rest (we paid 69€ for 3 days for a Nissan Micra - not forgetting this was low season. They also had a PT Cruiser convertible for anout 200€).

All in all not that bad a hotel unless you want better decor and I can imagine families on a tight budget being especially pleased with the all inclusive but if you are a light sleeper avoid the noisy rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (901)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
west yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

stayed at the broncemar for 7 days with a young son of 3.
Brilliant location not far from the beach and shops. Thomas cook reps were brilliant especially the entertainment team, the were great with the kids and all the kids loved them.
We went fully inclusive for our stay and was very disappointed, the restaurant food is disgusting very repetitive and almost always cold. A joint of pork had been cooked one evening and left on the side for at least 30 mins, a chef then came out to carve it dripping sweat from his forehead all over the meat then putting the cooled meat onto the meat under the hot plate ! NO WONDER WE ALL HAD BAD STOMACHS!
We ended up with an awful lot of other people staying there eating out every night and having lunch if possible at the pool bar which was a bit better quality than the restaurant. If you are thinking of paying all inclusive think wisely because although it is good fro drinks and snacks etc i would definately not recommend the restaurant to anyone! My 3 year old son would not eat a thing in the restaurant and to be honest who could blame him?
On our day of departure the rep had said that he had receieved at least 20 complaint forms regarding the food served there. The appartments were quite roomy and no problem with that but there are grates all around the paths which are broken and we all kept tripping up over them.

Travelers are raving about these Caleta de Fuste hotels

Hamilton, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed at the Broncemar hotel last week (feb10 to 17th) and a great relaxing holiday, great rooms, great pools, Thomas cook staff great for the kids during the day and had a good time at night aswell.
Up graded to all inclusive the last 2 days and only eat there 3 times, 1 breakfast and 2 dinners. Food was terrible i am not kiddin please take this as a warning its realy bad the scrambled eggs were some powdered crap and the tomatoes at the salad bar were half green and the jelly was lemon every day and smeled like Flash when you clean your toilet.
Bar staff not so good either i got refused a drink at 3 mins to 11pm when the all inclusive runs out and a friend i met got charged just 1 minuite after 11 after tipping the guy all night. Plus every now and again they ask you what room your in just to check you out and i've never had that before. Staff at reception very helpfull.
Location of the hotel is fab as i said so is the rooms as i said before, only got 1 cockroach 1st day.
First time in Caleta the town is great, Ideal for me and my girlfriend and for familys(no stags or hen party's anywhere). Please don't go all inclusive here unless you are taking a load of kids, There are loads of great places to eat in this town. Breakfast's most places are great but my best dinner was The Great wall Chineese resturant ask some one for directions should only take 5 mins.
All in all this hotel i would say 3*.But the resturant here 1* not kiddin

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
13 Thank daviecollins
Solihull, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

The appartments at the hotel are huge with two seperate rooms, one living room and then a bedroom and a massive balcony/terrace, unfortunately the rooms need a lot of maintenance doing, in our apparmtent the shower head was falling off the wall and when we arrived the room was dirty. It had signs saying that it was disinfected but the toilet had yellow stains around the seat! If you walk around the room bear foot you will end up having filthy feet within a minute. There were old bottles of WKD sat by the balcony which look like they have been there for about 10 years.

We were staying self catering which we were so pleased about as everybody was moaning about how bad the food was.

The hotel has the potential of being very nice if they were to spend some time sorting these issues out but all in all we still had a good time and for the price we payed was good value for money however we stayed at the Barcelo Fuerteventura a couple of years ago and for a bit extra money you get a hotel that is 10 times better.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

We decided to stay here for the half term in February as i had read the reviews on here that all seemed to be pretty good. On arrival, we were allocated our room and we went all inclusive. The restaurant was a massive let down as the food here was disgusting.

The vegetables were cooked too much and were like mush, the meat was undercooked, looked raw and was too chewy, and no variety and only had thick looking rice pudding, jelly, locally produced icecream for desert. Everything was too cold also. Breakfast there was the normal stuff but all clap cold, toast machines clapped out cereals like cardboard. German hotdog like sausages, fried garlic bread from previous nights tea.

The snacks included in the all inclusive package were good. There was a choice of cheese and or ham toasties, cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, chips. You knew these were ok to eat as they were cooked immediately before getting them and the food was very hot. Drinks service very good too, tea, coffee, cake (very dry) local alcoholic drinks all included.

One night there was a joint of pork that was left on the end. Some pork had already been carved off it and placed in the tray that was meant to keep it hot. After about 20 minutes, the chef came over to his joint of pork and started to carve it and add the newly carved pork to the old pork on the tray!! I bet there were a few upset stomachs the next day after this. There was salad, tuna, pasta but it was all disgusting and continually watched flies landing on the food that were under the lights.

My sister and myself went to see the Thomas Cook rep and asked him if there had been many complaints about the food and his reply was yes so we asked for a compliant form. We filled this in and spoke to others who thought the food was disgusting too and some of those had already put in a complaint form. We kept going in the restaurant to see if there were any improvements and there was fresh fruit but that was about it.

We all had bad stomachs and ended up eating out by the end of the holiday and spending unneccessary money on food as did so many other guests too.

Apartments nice and spacious, lots of room, but three towels changed every other day between four of us was poor. Lots of very loose grates around the complex above ground level have to be really careful not to trip on them. Had to ring reception for loo roll as maids didn't replace it. There was rubbish outside our door for 5 days that maids didn't shift.

Kids club looked great, thomas cook staff worked really hard. They kept the kids entertained and did activitites for most of the day and night. Evening entertainment not bad, parrot shows, bird of prey show and others we didn't see.

5 Minutes walk to beach, nice resort, nice beach but i would never return to Broncemar Beach due to the poor standards of food hygiene. To say Thomas Cook say it is a three star plus, i believe they need to review this and get the food upto the star rating it really is. I have stayed many places with food included and i have to say this was the worst i have ever experienced.

Many more had complained about the food by the time our departure came, the rep said to my sister that he was expecting a lot more. If you are going, i sincerely hope that the food improves for you.

Internet in reception very expensive at 1 Euro for 10 minutes being the computer or Wi-Fi. Get the internet in the arcade further down the road for 1 Euro for 45 minutes, just next to the Irish Bar.

We had awful weather, it rained most of the time we were there, best day was Friday.

1 Thank TopazJo
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

This was the forth time we visited this Island, staying in Caleta d Fusta. As ever we had a great time, escaping the UK winter! Weather in fuerteventura can be changeable this time of year, but you would be unlucky not to get some sun.
This year we stayed at Broncemar beach hotelaprtments and because of the exchange rate meaning visiting local restaurants every night is now too expensive we went all inclusive. The food is OK, if not very exiting, but the staff worked very hard to make sure we had a good holiday.

The entertainment on site was not really to my taste, being run by the Thomas Cook entertainment team. These three entertainers had to somehow entertain the kids all day, prepare the evenings entertainment then perform it, working through till well after 23.00hrs each night. They put in some really major effort, and just because I was not to bothered about that particular style of entertainment, the majority were (including our 10 year old) does not mean they do not deserve a big pat on the back!

The hotel is generally clean, if you get worried by the huge cockroaches which can appear out the plug holes if you are unlucky in rather large numbers (not the hotels fault- remember where you are!), mention it to the cleaners- I don't know what they put down the drains but it sure worked well!

The swimming pools were great, one heated and great for splashing around in, the other not, but this meant it was largely empty and was long enough to some some lane swimming to help work off that all inclusive dinner from last night!

We like to get out and about, so hired a car. I did this via Expedia before I left paying £118 for a Ford Focus for the week from Hertz. BIG MISTAKE. On arrival I was given the choice of paying and £800 deposit or paying and extra £87 insurance to cover the excess. On top of that they also charged me £40 for a tank of fuel, saying bring it back empty. Well I can tell you that I have never used a full tank in four visits, and this time we barely used half a tank. So the total cost of the car was more than doubled by the UNADVERTSED local charges. On top of that when we tried to return the car the barrier to the hire returns would not open and we were told by the kind gentleman in charge to put the car in the public car park. Having done that when I handed the car keys in they told me they would not fetch it from the public car park and I would be charged for an over due return (the public car park is right next to the returns!) Following a bit of a row they managed to arrange for the barrier to the hire car park to open and I had to go back to the car and move it, which caused us to be delayed in getting to the check in for our flight!!
My advice for car hire on the Island would be take a taxi to your resort (they are all set price journeys) and ask at reception/see your rep who is doing the best car deals locally- they all said BTW that Herz was a major cause of complaints!

We took in a trike tour operated by Cool Runnings, this is much to be recommended, driving them is very easy or you can just get in the passenger seat. A good idea would be to book up a trike ride before you leave for you first day, as they are really nice people and can give you some good ideas of where to visit and what to do while you are on the tour! Also if you book with cool runnings direct they get all the money, which they desserve!

Oasis park is a really nice zoo. We did the organised tour a couple of years ago and it was a bit rushed to have enough time to take in this excellent attraction- take the car!. £56 Euros got the three of us in plus the camel ride. The restauraunt is also quite good and reasonable priced.

On the way to the Oasis park you will see signs to the “Karting” follow the signs and for 38 Euros all three of us had 10 minuets on this excellent twisty circuit. One of the local tour companies were advertising this trip for 50 euros each!!!!

I like my bikes so went on a Trail riding tour of the Island with Backtrax. My idea of trail riding is a gentle pootle about at 20mph on the tracks and trails that take you to the back of beyond, stopping to see the sights and take a few pictures. But this was more full bore enduro sport riding, really not my thing, to the extent that I crashed 8 times! Bearing in mind I’ve been ring bikes for 28 years and not dropped one for nearly 20, I can only recommend these tours to experienced MX/Enduro riders! (their was two others on my tour who were indeed experienced off road sports riders, and they had a great time!)- Possibly most people would enjoy one of the various jeep tours?

Check in at Fuertaventura. Oooh that’s bad. If you are travelling on the direct flights to the UK on a Wednesday or Saturday, it’s a nightmare. We were in the queue for check in for an hour and a half. Just for fun we times how long it took to check in one couples baggage and check the tickets. 5-7 minuets on average! So get their early!

1 Thank sidecarkeith
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband, mother in law, myself and 2 kids (aged 5 and 1) went for a week all inclusive. On arrival we asked could we be upgraded to a 2 bedroom apt as TC could not do this when we booked. Pila (the receptionist) said this wasn't a problem, but said that she had given us Apt 191, which was a ground floor one near the back pool. She gave us the keys to it and a 2 bedroom one she could move us to, but asked us to check the one bedroomed first as she said the ground floor ones are big. She was right we could have fit another single bed in to our room along with the cot that was there. one drawback we had to build a baricade of sunbeds around the patio area to keep the 1 year old in as there are no railings.
The pool beside us wasn't heated, but my husband had a swim in it every day, I did one day. This pool area is quiet and great if you want to lie back and relax with a book. The main pool is heated, although it's still a bit on the chilly side, that didn't stop our 5 year old jumping in and out. This is where all the daytime activities take place.
The all inclusive is spot on, Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the buffet restaurant. but toasties, burgers etc can be got at the pool bar between 11.00- 13.00 and 15.00-18.00.I'm a fussy eater as is my daughter and we were able to find something every night.
Entertainment team are great and the kids love the Dizzy and Shades shakedown. One night they had a parrot show come in and the next night birds of prey show. We paid to see both these shows at the Oasis Park, But it was much better at the hotel.
Which brings me to the excursion... The offer was for every full paying adult the 2nd adult get half price. We had 3 adults and one child to pay for. I asked David the rep if he could do a deal as one of the adults was a pensioner who didn't want to go. So he said he woul give her the reduced price as well. The Excursion included transfers, a guide to take you around the park (so u don't miss any shows), camel ride and lunch. When we got on the coach we were booked as 2 adults and 2 kids. So we had to pay the extra to make up an adult price (so much for David.s deal). We were then rushed round the park at break neck speed so we could make all the shows..... not one bit of this visit was relaxing.....and most of the paths were like sand so it was a nightmare to get the buggy and a wheelchair around at these speeds. When I got back we told David about the extra we had to pay and that it wasn't easy to push a buggy and wheelchair round. He didn't give a [--]. He said he would have to phone the office to see if he could refund the extra money, but didn't seem surprised that this happened (I suppose he would say anything for sale). As a warning we spoke to a lovely couple who hired a car and went to the park. It was 9euros in, 7 euros for a camel ride and lunch was only 7 euros. they were also able to walk around at their leisure. Needless to say we didn't see David the rest of our holiday and didn't get the money back.
I would go back to the brocemar tomorrow as its location is great. We went to Fado rocks for a meal one night absolutley amazing. the beach at the Sheridan hotel has nicer sand (not as pebbely) so would receomend you go there.
As everyone has been saying Jose the waiter is great, he would come down a replace your drink to save you a trip to the bar. I suppose because it was quiet this week. We noticed it was getting quite busy when we were leaving due to half term.
We will definately be going back next year.

1 Thank Macysmum