“Great rooms but don't go all inclusive”
Review of Broncemar Beach

Broncemar Beach
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
“Great rooms but don't go all inclusive”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Flight: my fiancée and I travelled with our 1 year old, as standard leg room on the outgoing flight was poor and we struggled at times with the little one, on return flight however the staff very kindly moved us to a free row of three seats which was really helpful.

Transfers: don't book coach transfers, 11 euro door to door with very helpful taxi drivers on both journeys

Rooms: 1 bed apt was really spacious, would recommend ground floor as terrace is bigger than 1st floor balcony, cleaning service was excellent, we dropped a bottle of wine on first night and it was cleaned for us within 10 mins, previous reviews had mentioned problems with cock roaches, didn't see one in our apartment or any other bugs, use the bins outside the apartments as we did and you should be ok, wifi available for 25 euro for week which is less than O2 data roaming fees so well advised, fans available for hire for 35 euro for week but we didn't bother and were fine, decor could have been a bit newer but can't fault the apartment as a whole.

Food: don't go all inclusive, the food in the dining area is by all means edible and the first few days were fine but you will tire of it very quickly as very repititive, plus there are far too many good restaurants within walking distance at reasonable prices, Gambrinus next door is a must!, service, food and atmosphere all amazing, Hong Kong 2 opposite the Barcelo hotel is a must for chinese lovers, again staff were amazing especially with our little one.

Location: your about 5 mins from nearest shops but venture further with lots more about 10 mins away, beach is nice and is about 15 mins walk, we found another beach on the last day with a man made cove which would have been ideal for us, you'll find this in front of the shopping centre about 30 mins walk from the Broncemar, once you see the beach bar about 100 meters off the coast with a bridge for access you'll see the beach.

Facilities: pool was good the first few days but n closer inspection was a wee bit dirty, didn't stop me taking my n in though so don't be put off, shop on site which sells cow and gate baby milk, pampers and baby food, you will find more options in town, shop sells rodilinck ciders too which was a nice touch.

Weather: we went late aug sept and weather was ideal for me, never hotter than a really nice day in uk which was good for baby and me as not a sun worshiper, don't be proud, wear sun tan lotion, you will burn, you have been warned!

Entertainment: looked great for kids but our boy was too young for it all, the tavern pub was the place too be for me with all inclusive drink and karaoke until 11, Alberto who runs the karaoke is a great guy and really good with the kids but appreciates adult singers more so get up there mums and dads!!!

Resort: Beautiful resort and would definitely go back

Money: we took 550 euros and had to lift another 200 as we decided to start eating out

Overall: fantastic first family holiday, slightly over priced by Thomas Cook but that's package holidays for you, any one booked or thing of going shoud be very excited and we would definitely recommend

3 Thank Scottellis500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We just returned from a week here and it was excellent.Ok,the hotel needs a bit of TLC but other than that we couldn't fault it.The food was excellent,the apartment was big and spotless and the entertainment laid on all day by Steph,Jez and Sam kept our 2 kids happy all week.It is in a great location for the beack and also the local commercial centre.At the end of the day if you go expecting a Sandals resort you will be disappointed but if it's good food,enetertainment and buckets of sun then the Broncemar beach is for you.

1 Thank HPCraig
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Had a great holiday even though after reading some reviews we were a little worried but we were pleasantly surprised when we got there.
Plenty activity around the pool. Steph and Jez did all they could to keep us all entertained. We did see quite a few people slipping around the pool,
Appartment was clean and well equipped. Gloria came every day except wedneday and Friday and was more than happy to help if we needed anything.
Lack Air conditioning was a bit of a pain as it was very hot when we were there.
Overall it was a great holiday. So close to everything.

1 Thank seniorm73
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Broncemar and I have to say after reading the reviews I was a bit worried!
When we booked I requested a pool view and a high floor, 2 weeks before travelling I emailed the hotel these requests in case they hadn't been told. I received a reply saying I could have one of these rooms at an extra cost of €20 per day! I declined!!
We arrived around lunchtime, check in was painless and although receptionists here weren't the happiest I have met they weren't rude. When we went to find our room (217) we noticed we had in fact been given a pool view room on the 2nd floor so we were pleased we didn't fork out the extra money for it!
The room although a little dated and in need of redecoration was one of the best we have stayed in (not because it was pretty but because it was extreemly practical). We booked a 1 bedroomed apartment and I have to stay it was a great size. The beds (including the sofa bed)were comfortable, we had our own private balcony complete with table, chairs and loungers (yes it was a good size!). Our bathroom was adequate and didn't smell like other people's did but be careful the bath can be quite slippy when wet. It had a fridge which was great for suncream, drinks and snacks etc. It also had a kettle, toaster and cooker although we never used these as we were all inclusive. Also being above the pool and bar wasn't a problem as last orders is 11 and everyone usually disperses by 12am!
The bar staff we not always happy happy but we never found them to be miserable or rude, sometimes I think holidaymakers can be rather rude and nasty. All these guys seemed to want was a little manners, gratitude and respect which they got off us. Yes drinks are served in plastic/paper cups but its better than broken glass causing your children injurys. The is a karaoke bar open from 9-12am that will serve your drinks in proper glasses but we rarely went in as it was over run by unaccompanied kids!
The food was fine! There was plenty of choice from breakfast (pancakes, omlettes to order, pastries, the usual cooked stuff and even salad), lunch (usually salad, soup, bread and a few hot choices plus what was left from the previous evening), evening meals (monday was mexican themed and was delicious, curries, stews, fresh loin of meat each day and the ususal salad, chips, nuggets etc.) and snacks throughout the day (toasties, salad, chips, burgers & hot dogs). We ate out 3 times during our stay but that wasn't because the food was bad it was just because a) I dont eat alot of meat and they don't provide alot of choice for non meat eaters b) we fancied a change of scenery and the ability to choose our own meals. We did notice a couple of small cockroaches on the restaurant floor but to be fair this country has a big problem with cockroaches so to have just seen 2 in 2 weeks I thought was pretty good!
The pools: People are right the pools are a bit manky! There is things floating in them although it can be quite windy so this can't be helped and we only seen them put chlorine in the pools twice in 2 weeks. The baby pool inparticular in very dirty. They also have several broken tiles and some of the steps are a bit wobbly, if they were given a bit of money and alot of TLC they could be lovely as they are close together, not too deep and a good size. Also note that of all the people we spoke to there was only 1 person (a 14 yr old child) who had an ear infection and in our experience if the pools had been extreemly dirty more people would have been suffering dicky stomachs, ear infections, sore eyes etc. so we just went along with it.
The area around the pool/bar can be ridiculously slippy but we have never know a place where a pool area was not slippy when wet??? Yes this area is not cleaned at all very well but even if it was it would still be slippy when wet. Watch out for the odd broken tile or uneven pathway though.
Kids Club: We never used although the kids club girls were lovely but yes they do charge you for their 'babysitting' time!!
Cleaners: Where do I start?? They come into your room every day but all they did in ours was empty the kitchen bin (bathroom room was left untouched) and make the beds. They did not sweep either the floors or the balcony the whole time we were there, they did not clean anything in the bathroom the whole time we were there and they did not refill our toilet rool (we had to steal it from one of their trolleys!!) When I complained at reception she sent a maid to our room within 15 minutes but all she did was bring her dirty mop in (no bucket) and quickly mop 'around' things - without doing the balcony and then left. As we are pretty clean and tidy we just left it at that and looked after the place ourselves.
The public toilets were a disgrace!! No toilet roll, mess everywhere, wet & slippy, smelly...yes I know this is down to the guests that use them but surely there should be a maid checking these every hour or so? We only ever saw them go in there twice a day (morning & tea time).
The Entertainment Team: This is the reason I give this hotel 4STARS!! They are a fantastic team! From 11am until midnight every day except Saturday they work their socks off. Darts, pool, water polo, aqua fit, aqua disco, big splash comp, bingo and our favourite the morning daily quiz to name but a few things they do!! The evening main shows started at approx 10pm each night and they were all put on by these 3 guys! They do work a 2 week program so we only saw 1 show repeated in 2 weeks but it was still good! Steph, Sam & Jez you made our holiday!!
The flight path: Yes you are on the flight path but the first plane doesn't come over until after 7am and the last is at teatime so it didn't bother us in the slightest in fact my husband became a keen 'plane spotter' :)
To rap up.. remember you always get what you pay for and if you're willing to overlook the cleanliness a bit, be polite to the staff, embrace the entertainment, not expect nouvelle cuisine in the restaurant and just generally not take life too seriously then I am sure you will have a good time here!
Would I come back?? That is the question! My husband and daughter would definately as we had a great laugh but the lack of air con meant the in our first week when it was 46 degrees I didn't sleep at all, our 2nd week it cooled down and it wasnt bad.....Actually for the price we paid...yes I think i would!!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view & high floor when you book as these have private balconies and your windows...
5 Thank Lisa P
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

The pool was filthy and the surrounding terrace needs a good hose down evey morning as it is dirty. Funny how if you pay for beer it cones from a different tap the the AI beer ( watered down?). The manager is miserable and will not acknowledge complaints . Thomas Cook are complicit in ignoring complaints. They could pump some money into this hotel to tidy it up. Can't comment on the food as we were SC as there are so many good places to eat in the resort, however most of the bins were full of half eaten meals at lunchtime!
Saw plenty of people slipping over by the pool

6 Thank martinsidcup

Travelers are raving about these Caleta de Fuste hotels

warwickshire
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went expecting to move hotels however I can honestly say its one of our best holidays we travelled as a large group, we were all catered for old and young!! Kids had the best holiday ever, we met some fantastic people and had brilliant evenings especially in the karaoke bar until it got taken over by children!! An adult bar would have been better!! Sunbeds you need to put towels out at bedtime but other than that great holiday great location and please see for yourself reviews could quite easily put you off when there is no need! Only downside was pool could have been cleaner as could the toilets although that is down to the guests!!!!! Broncemar beach a great place to go!!!!!

4 Thank lucky068
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed - 2 weeks all inclusive 16-30 August.

I'm no snob. Have to say i'm surprised how many 'excellent' reviews there are of this place? I must have missed something?

Good Points - The resort is lovely. Great beach. Lots of restaurants, bars & shops with lots of playgrounds dotted around for young kids. Hotel is in a good location. Well laid out and attractive in places. Rooms were absolutely fine, albeit a bit too warm (no air con) and the bathrooms were a bit smelly. Food was fine - although very repetative. Well stocked shop on site for convenience.

Bad points - Pools were not cleaned daily and were dirty. The baby pool in particular. The hotel is an absolute health hazard. In the 2 weeks we were there we were shocked at how many people were hurt here. I saw countless people slipping over several really injuring themselves and being taken to hospital. Various people cutting their feet, banging their heads, breaking bones, dislocating knees etc. Worse for adults as they have further to fall. All drinks are served in paper cups. Very unpleasant. Can understand in the day around the pool but not inthe evening. This also causes the place to be constantly littered. Around the pools in particular needing a very good clean. Not once did we see them jet washing the pool area which is needs. There are wooden walkways around the pool area with so many loose planks and nails sticking out, again - a health hazard.

The food was ok, but the restaurant you eat in is dark and dingy. You can eat outside but have to share your meal with the flies and smokers. The same dishes get served up night after night.

Staff were ok - but so, so miserable.

Entertainment - again, shocked how many people say it is good? Firstly it's on a 1 week rota so if you go for 2 weeks expect to see everything again the 2nd week (usualy a 2 week rota is put in place during peak season). The entertainment staff were very nice and worked hard, but it was just boring. The worst i've seen.

Kids Club - I've never had to pay for kids club before and wasn't going to - especially not at 10 Euro a day per child. Rip off. I wonder if the parents of the child that went missing whilst at kids club got their money back for that day? (the child was eventually found)

TV - you have to put money into the tv to watch it? Never had to do this before and it doesn't last long. Rip off.

Bingo - if you're not a fan of Bingo - BEWARE. This hotel is bingo crazy.

Sunbeds - bearing in mind this is definitely a 'British' hotel - I couldn't believe the sunbed situation. Setting the alarm at 5 o clock to go down and put your towel on a sunbed? I don't want to be doing that on holiday but you have to if you want to get a few sunbeds together. This is a practice that should be stopped. The beds should be chained up at night and unlocked at a certain time for people to take them.

Rep - thank god we didn't book with Thomas Cook. The rep at this hotel was utterly useless. Rude, uncaring, unhelpful - but always first in the que to get her breakfast/lunch or dinner. I didn't hear one good report about her unfortunately.

Towels - whilst these were changed regularly they had holes in them and bleach stains on them? Why does a hotel think this is acceptable?

Playground - there is a playground on site but there might aswell not be. It's small, rubbish, unsafe and dirty. No one uses it. It's so hidden most people wouldn't even be able to find it. Not a selling point. There are plenty of parks outside of the hotel which are good.

Paying - you pay for the TV, you pay for kids to go in kids club, they bring in inflatables for the kids, but you pay for them to go on it. You pay for a fan as there is no air con, you pay for photos taken of your children, you pay for so much here it's unreal !

A COUPLE OF THINGS......When we booked this at the start of the year. It was definitely rated as a 4* hotel. It's now a 3 star - although if you look on the pool floor the logo includes 4 stars so they have obviously lost one? It also said there was a soft play area. There isn't. This has closed but is visable through the window. It was closed due to a child being injured I understand (but cannot confirm). It also said you could eat in their A la Carte restaurant. There isn't one. There is only 1 dining hall.

I had read about aeroplane noise. Whilst this didn't generally bother us, it could bother others. They are VERY low when they fly over the hotel.

Don't bother with transfers. It takes approx. 8 mins in a taxi and costs between 10 and 15 Euros. Some people were on an hour transfer?

The Windmill Pub is great if you have young kids. Safe enclosed 'garden' with play equipment meant parents can enjoy a beer or wine with peace of mind.

I would have given only 2 stars had it not been for the fact that my sons had a great time and we met some great people.

Will we go back? To Caleta de Fuste - Yes. To the Broncemar Beach. Absolutely not.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the pool as possible. It's a noisy area and noise goes on until late. Conve...
2 Thank jamie b