“Our Fourth Visit!”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Our Fourth Visit!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from our fourth visit to Elba Palace and Fuerteventura Golf Club. That really is all that has to be said. No one goes four times to a place if it not excellent.

We cannot find fault with the hotel. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and well furnished, with excellent A/C and ceiling fans. The standard of housekeeping is very high - the place is spotless! The hotel is built round a lovely open air square resembling a village square, with central fountain and palm trees, and you have the option of bar and dinner service in the square or in the adjoining dining room and bar. Patrick, the resident pianist/vocalist , is a superb jazz pianist and plays in the square 4 nights per week.

Breakfasts offer a wide choice, and the dinner menu is also extensive. The main course is cooked to order and served, while the starters and deserts are in buffet format, and offers an extensive range of soups, salads, cold cuts, deserts and ice creams, which change every day.

The standard of service is high. The management team of Senor Moreno and his depute Pilar walk the floor every evening and and chat to guests to ensure that everything is as it should be. They are backed up by Alfredo the Head Waiter and his excellent team. We have stayed at several of the big name golf resorts in Spain and Portugal, where the scale of the operation leaves you feeling like one customer among many. At Elba Palace you feel like a guest among friends.

The hotel is on the golf course and serves as the clubhouse. The golf course is fairly flat, with a rise to the 17th green and an attractive 18th sweeping down to the hotel. The fairways are fairly generous, but this is no pushover. The fairways and greens are well bunkered and there are several water hazards to catch you out, especially on the back nine. The course is generally in good condition, with excellent greens and good fairways. Bad lies are rare, but in common with most Mediterranean courses the rough is grasping and there can be scruffy patches where the traffic is high. If you can par the second, eighth, thirteenth and seventeenth you are a real golfer! But watch the second. It is a brute, and I suggest that you take a few old balls for this one.

So will we be back? Most certainly. But please don't everyone go there. We want to keep this as out little secret!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the course. The views across it to the Atlantic are lovely.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JohnDoonan1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
Tavistock
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife Grace and I are 78 and 79 year olds who play golf 2-3 times a week at either or both of the two golf clubs where we are members.
We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Elba Palace Golf at Fuerventura. A marvellous experience all round. The green fees were very affordable ( in fact ,when there was greens maintenance and there were one or two greens out of play there was no charge and buggies were complimentary.)We still played 18 holes by playing one or two holes twice)
The course was not overcrowded. The tees were excellent, as were the greens which were fast and so very true, the fairways were quite open but the rough was a challenge with a type of grass which "clawed" over your ball making it difficult to find.There was a lot of water, but with care not too difficult to avoid. Add to this the excellent Hotel Service :- the dining,the menu, the room cleaning and swimming pools,which with the experience of 40 years travelling abroad each year, I can truthfully say could not be bettered.My only criticism of the holiday would be the few guests who smoked during meals, which we found very unpleasant.(and the "library" of mostly books in German.I hope we started a trend by leaving our English books behind)
There was a good variety of choice in the menus with ample servings.
We flew with Easy Jet who departed and arrived exactly on time.I`m not sure we will fly again with them though, because the leg room was so restricted that I experienced cramp on both flights. I would be prepared to pay a few pounds more for a few extra inches.
I must thank Lupa, our room lady, Alfredo our Waiter and Juan Jose Moreno the Manager
who were all so kind, courteous and helpful and those others who made our holiday so good.
This was a holiday we would like to repeat next year if we are still around, and we could buy medical insurance at a sensible cost.The only downside was leaving a Cobra Iron No. 7 Aldila NV-3 60 Lite beside one of the greens. If the Gentleman who "found" it would contact me I would gladly pay postage.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cherokee21
Enobarbus3
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We looked long and hard for a late break to avoid the expected Olympic mayhem.We both have stressful jobs and work long hours so peace and quiet are high on our agenda. We are attracted by adult/couples only hotels and where we receive good service so that we can relax and enjoy our break. This hotel delivers fully on our criteria. It is very well run by Juan Jose Moreno who is supported by a team and staff who cannot do enough to ensure that everything runs smoothly.

My wife is a vegetarian and although there were some dishes on the menu for her they could become repetitive during the two weeks that we were there.No problem, the waiters, staff and reception team were all delighted to help out to ensure that the chef prepared whatever she requested. The hotel is classic and elegant with rooms surrounding a beautiful quiet courtyard where dinner is taken outside. A special mention has to be made of the prodigeous talent of Patrick and his amazing , wide repetoire of songs and tunes from his piano and synthesizer. Dinner under the stars listening to his music was a delight.

The pool area is quiet and well maintained. I am not sure if the hotel is adult only, there were some children around though (few in number) but who were well behaved. There also seemed to be other people around the pool at times who were not resident at the hotel, possibly residents from the associated surrounding villa developments.

We went principally to play golf and we played on the Elba Course and Las Salinas ( 5 Euro taxi ride away) Both courses were in good condition and were generally not busy. The exception is that Elba does run local competitions for members and residents from the villas - check before as it can be difficult to play on these days.

The local town is a 15 minute or so walk away or about 4 euros in a taxi. There are shops, bars and a small port. We dined at a good Tapas bar and also at El Faro in the Sheraton - which was very good.

We toured a large part of the island which has beautiful desolate scenery.

It was a really good holiday, we would certainly return to the Elba Palace Hotel and to Fuerteventura

Room Tip: Worth paying for a golf view room. These are higher on the top second floor with a view of the cours...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Enobarbus3
London
Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you want quality and style look no further. This hotel has everything you could wish for in a holiday.
Ok it is on a golf course but this should not put non golfers off. It has a stunning central courtyard which is very quiet and restful.The food is exquisite but a little expensive.

It is a cab ride in to town or a good 30 min walk. I would say it is not probably the place for kids but Elba do have other hotels which are more fun for children.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FirmfriendsLondon
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

A very enjoyable holiday, with first class service and attention in a nice quiet location. I was really fed up with the weather at home and decided to look for a break in the sun. I came across this hotel by chance. I have a very small list of things I look for in the reviews and this Hotel ticked all the boxes. When we arrived we was greated by Sara at reception with a very welcome glass of champagne and hot towel which was lovely after the flight. The room was better then my expectations, & exactly like the photos. Dinner was set up in the court yard in the centre of the hotel. From the reviews I was expecting a buffet starter however this does not happen in the quiet season which I was amazed to find was June , July and August so you have full al a carte dinning experience- It was far beyond our expectations. Javier our head waiter was brilliant, any thing we wanted 'was no problem'. During our stay there was no more then 11 or so tables sitting for dinner in the evening . It was like dinning in a very good private bistro. Every night at dinner there is a singer / piano player called patrick who is very good and nicely sets the mood of the evening. Due to the water on the golf course there are a few "local" ducks around who do wander to have a nose at you by the pool which is quite cute and very funny! if you feed them they will come back for more. The pool area is very very quiet with nice relaxers and umberellas and no need to worry about getting one! We did not play golf but we did walk the course which was nice as the breeze was amazing and you never felt hot and sticky. You can walk to the beech and the local town for Tapas and shops etc. They have a free coach service that takes you to the local beach and town if you do not want to walk. A Taxi to and from the airport is fairly cheap and very quick and short - however the planes are not a problem at night. A very enjoyable and relaxing stay which has made us think about looking at staying on more golf courses and even coming back here.

Room Tip: golf course view rooms are great! something to look at and watch from your balcany!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Sarahnarramore
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was really fed up with the weather at home and decided to look for a break hopefully in the sun.
I came across this hotel by chance. I have a very small list of things I look for in the reviews and this Hotel ticked all the boxes. When we arrived we was greated by Sara at reception with a very welcome glass of champaign . We asked if we needed to book for dinner and was assured there was no need as we was half board and a table would be ready for us. The room was better then my expectations, exactly like the photos. If you do not like the pillows or sheets they have a menu of four different types you can choose from ( i have never come across this before). Dinner was set up in the court yard . The centre of the hotel which i now call a chateau as this is a better name for it. From the reviews I was expecting a buffet starter . This does not happen in the quiet season which I was amazed to find was June , July and August so you have full al a carte dinning It was far beyond our expectations. Javier our head waiter was brilliant any thing we wanted slightly different 'was no problem'. Juses (though did not speak the best english would go out of his way to get you exactly what you wanted) . During our stay there was no more then 11 people sitting for dinner in the evening . It was like dinning in a very good bistro. Almost every other night at dinner there is a singer / piano player called patrick who is very good and can be what ever sets the mood of the evening. I would like to make one comment on a review that has recently mentioned the Ducks. I am so sorry this upset them but I was there when they where and if you feed them they will come back for more . ( Though I think the ducks actually invaded the pool because no one uses it . really there was probably no more then 7 of us around the pool each day. ) The hotel staff was allways trying to move them on but as soon as they left they came back for the food. One lovely mother duck with her six babies was not really a bad thing infact I wanted to feed her and her babies.I am suprised she is not on U-TUBE it was so funny. Before i go I really want to say a big thankyou to Augela , though I have a thing with keeping my room clean this lady was amazing.Immaculate is all i can say.
By the way we did not play golf we walked every where and it was so easy as the breeze was amazing and you never felt hot and sticky. You can walk to the beech and the local town for Tapas etc. They have a free coach service that takes you to the local beech and town if you do not want to walk. A Taxi is only 4 Euros .
Sorry to go on but on munu check list is good accomadation.
Good food
No Children ( I am a mother of 3 and grand children and when I go away I want quiet)
I would like to say a big Thankyou to every one at Elaba Palace Golf not just the names mentioned . To Chief and all staff we did not meet. ( by the way breakfeast is amazing if you just say what you want)
Grazia
Lorraine and Paul Avenell

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Lorraine994
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Hotel itself is really nice and quite (what i really appreciate). Staff is very good and friendly. Rooms and whole hotel has a nice atmosphere. Breakfast is only very average for 5*, but nice. Only the thing is ducks and other birds in the hotel. Disturbing you on the terrace during breakfast and whenever during the day there. Unfortunately but naturally they are giving their excrements everywhere. Once their excrements can end on you (yes, it happened). Last thing is cleaning in the rooms. As normal in Spain is hair and hairs esp in the bathroom, what i found very very disgusting. Not all of the rooms have balcony (ask reception before check in).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Peter A
, Director General at Hotel Elba Palace Golf, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Peter A.,

our most sincere apologies with the inconvenience with the duck, that really concerns to us but at the same time has been by chance. I´ve been informed by first hand that you were assited by our staff when it unfortunatelly happened.

concerning the hair found at the bathroom and despite it´s not normal in Spain but anywhere accidentally can happen, we have taken the appropiate corrective actions as it´s not usual and of course, far of our standards.

we regret of this and look forward to welcoming you again at Elba Palace in a further occasion.

Best Regards,

#2 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Barcelo Corralejo Bay
Barcelo Corralejo Bay
#6 of 45 in Corralejo

Been to Hotel Elba Palace Golf? Share your experiences!