“Not quite perfect, but almost.”

Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have just returned from an 11 night stay at this hotel, and unlike some holidays I have been on, I wasn't too disappointed to be going home. I will be honest & firstly list the good points:
1) The hotel, whilst large & busy, didn't feel overcrowded at all, and on some occasions, actually felt almost deserted.
2) The Superior Room I booked was spacious, clean & well appointed with a very comfortable bed, which was definitely bigger than a King size.
3) The hotel grounds were very well maintained, as was the hotel in general.
4) The food, whilst a little repetitive, was plentiful, good & there was enough variety to please almost everyone. (Proper full English breakfast with HP sauce - if only people returned the bottles).
5) There were plenty of sun beds, even though the British were sticking towels on them at the crack of dawn & not turning up until lunch time, (shame on you), & the weather was fantastic, with a lot of sunshine & a nice breeze to take the edge off of the heat.
6) There were some British channels on the TV, albeit somewhat limited. (It would have benefited from a good movie channel).
Now the negatives:
1) I don't really feel that the extra cost of the Superior Room was good value - as I was all inclusive I would have expected free bottled water to be put in the room each day & to be given clean pool towels on a regular basis, rather than have to pay to replace them each time. I would also have expected the safe to have been free. With regard to having access to the Spa, personally I do not feel that justified the extra cost. The Spa was average to say the least & having access to a few pools of water, each very similar to the next, didn't make me think I had a relaxing experience. The Sauna was also not working.
2) I feel that the table waiting staff & bar staff are overworked. This meant that it was difficult to get more than one drink with the meals & on occasion the staff came across as unfriendly, and dare I say it, rude. Basically, they made it obvious that the request for a drink was a request that they could do without. On several occasions they were also very slow to clear used plates from the tables meaning there was limited room to put the new plates that you were eating off of.
3) The air conditioning, both in the bedrooms & in the hotel's public areas, was not adequate & the heat was uncomfortable on occasion.
4) Swimming pools are too shallow for adults, are filled with salt water, which wasn't good for sunburn, eyes or lips, and were quite cold. (I got in but several people chose not too).
5) The beach outside the hotel complex isn't the nicest I have been on & in some parts the sand resembled builders sand. The area to the right of the Spa, is also basically waste ground and a bit of a mess.
6) Apart from the usual 'British' type bars, restaurants selling the usual holiday type fare, (you have all seen the 'photo boards'), & 'tacky' shops selling junk, there is not a lot going on outside the hotel. The exception being a decent crazy golf course.
Would I visit again? No. Personally, for what I paid, I feel I could have had a better value holiday staying elsewhere on the island, where the beach & sea was better, where there was more included in the all inclusive package & where there was more to do & see in the local vicinity.
As I have said, I have tried to be honest, and listed the good as well as the bad & I am sure the majority of people will visit & be entirely satisfied.

Room Tip: I stayed in Block 3 which was away from the main hotel areas & very quiet. Block 2 looked ok tho...
5  Thank PAUL G
Write a ReviewReviews (8,896)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Lovely clean hotel we were in block 1 2nd floor over looking a roof top i can only discribe as a black ash rock cactus roof top garden, with a view of the sea all be it in the distance, we found it quiet, we had a large room with a wonderfully comfy bed it was clean just a couple of little scuffs on the decor. The food was lovely we were AI for 1 week yes it was repeated ie veal, pork, fish being the main but there was enough choice within the other things on offer you were spoilt for choice as to what to have, breakfast you had everything to choose from all very fresh. We ate at the pool snack bar for lunch there was quite enough choice to keep you full up till dinner, pool bar drinks wise it was serve yourself to everything except spirits but you could still have these if you went up to the bar. The main Pool is salt water not to deep, around the pool you may need your flip flops on its concrete an in places it's quite worn an a little sharp to walk on. The entertainment team did try an get people involved around the pool and seemed to be very busy, friendly and worked hard, We did go and see three shows Grease and The lion king and We Will Rock you although the shows were full of energy and well put together it was disappointing it was mimed not only the singing but the talking parts too. The waiters in both bars and the show never stopped you never waited long for them an there were no que's at the bars either. Room dept is at 12 If you have a late flight I would advise you if you can to book a late checkout with your travel agent befor you go, we asked on arrival (35euros till 6pm) it was noted but we were told to check the day befor our return we did but we could only keep it till 2pm (it was very busy) we declined an used the showers in what I would think was the old spa with use of clean towles an toiletries from reception there was only two and if there's a lot of people in the same position as you leaving at the same time it could get busy, it wasn't to bad we managed to freshen up. A great hotel nice resort too very clean we shall be returning.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank allweneedtodo2
Reviewed September 22, 2013

just come back from 2 weeks in this amazing hotel had read all reviews before we went was a bit worried when we was put in block 1 as all reviews said it was noisy we had no problem the room was great but no kettle as other reviews said there was we asked at reception and within an hour we had a kettle and tea and coffee the food is great something for everyone all staff are a credit to this hotel they all work hard one or two could learn to smile but you get that in most work places everywhere is spotless always clean and tidy there is entertainment but we did not stay to watch you need a walk after all that lovely food there are los of places to go for a drink at night we would recommend GAMBRINUS its just across the road staff are great they have a singer who sings 60s songs the drinks are the best they treat you like friends also thanks everyone for the tip on filling the forms in on the coach before you get to the hotel it does save time we managed to get our evening meal even though we did not get there till half 9 on the Saturday night so to everyone that made our holiday a great on thanks

4  Thank sueanderic79
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This holiday at all , everything was just perfect , lovely room with a bed the most comfortable we have ever slept in on a holiday and I have never slept so well in a bed other then my own ! The food is remarkable for this size of hotel , and it is large, always freshly cooked ,the hot food in front of you and then you have an aray of salads , cold meats , friut , bread , I actually cant think of anything they DIDNT have ! The mornings you could have a full English breakfast or whatever else you would eat at home with orange juice prepared fresh in front of you plus lovely smoothies . The waiters will bring you a pot of coffee to your table IF you can catch them as they dash backwards and forwards but we found it better than the coffee from the machine . The staff everywhere make you feel very welcome for such a large hotel and greet you as though they really DO remember you but ime sure they dont ! The entertainment team work from morning till night and even do a little dance routine by the pool every day and then you know its lunch time ! The hotel has the most lovely relaxed feeling I cant discribe and after a hard start to my year after two days I was so relaxed I couldnt stop smiling , so thank you very much hotel , the only trouble is now I dont want to go anywhere else but we know there is a big wide world out there but we shall so be going back here ! Sorry world !

Room Tip: we were in block two lovely and had a side veiw of the beach .
6  Thank carolmoran
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here for a week late August half board.The only negitives are very few... we had to get up early to get a sun lounger and the all hotel pools are salt water which tends to dry your skin and sting your eyes.The positives are many...the hotel is clean the hotel grounds are beautiful and well kept.The staff all lovely.The food good.The town was lovely with many places to sit and take the time to sit,eat good food and relax. The beach was amazing and one of the best I think I've been to in a long time.The hotel was fenced off and the gate needed your room card to be opened. (If you fancy a short walk one afternoon. Go out the back gate,turn right and follow the beach front for about ten mins.You will reach some wasteland just pass a cafe and in the rocks you will see some very friendly chipmunks. Take some sunflower seeds with you and they will eat out your hand. Keep going and you will get to a pond with some huge fish. Both worth doing especially if you got little kids). I genuinely loved Fuerteventura and would not hesitate to go back.I would recemmend this hotel to anyone as everything about this holiday for us was awesome.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank zoesomerset
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We travelled as a family of 5. We had 2 rooms in Block 3, ground floor.
The rooms were clean, well appointed & a good size.
The food was lovely & we didn't find it repetitive. We managed to eat well for all 3 meals for the fortnight.
We found the staff extremely helpful & friendly. The bar staff were attentive & knew what our "usual" was & we're not heavy drinkers!
We had a problem during our stay, nothing to do with them, yet they did above & beyond to rectify this.
The only issue we had was that the tiles around the pools are disintegrating & so it is somewhat gritty.
The location is good as well, close proximity to beach, shops, restaurants & airport.
We will be returning as we thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Readyall5
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here a number of times & it is good, clean, most staf most of time on the ball, rooms good, shows a bit repetitive if your a regular, priced about right to be upper end value for money. Mini bar pricey.

Room Tip: Upper floors block 1 or 2. Best over all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelo Corralejo Bay
#6 of 45 in Corralejo
Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura

Been to Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa? Share your experiences!